PDA

View Full Version : Storm Of War 1° march 2010 Release

zakkandrachoff
09-17-2009, 02:08 AM
check this site
http://www.freewebs.com/heinkill/
in a Countdown Clock said that STORM OF WAR will release on 165 days...!!!

:!:

proton45
09-17-2009, 03:38 AM
check this site
in a Countdown Clock said that STORM OF WAR will release on 165 days...!!!

:!:

I think its just a guess on their part...

Feathered_IV
09-17-2009, 05:21 AM
It's an elaborate guess. Total BS.

Bobb4
09-17-2009, 05:58 AM
heinkill:
Simple logic 'Oleg'. With the exception of IL2 all subsequent releases (FB, AEP, PF, 1946) were made in the first quarter of the year of release, with the majority happening in March. Humans are creatures of habit, so logic says 1C is working to the same schedule for SoW, unless there is a major competitor release on the horizon which would change this, and I can't see one. In the absence of any better info, this clock reflects my own opinion and I'll change it as official info emerges

Her explains the clock here...
Not bad reasoning, Tree would be proud :grin:

Tree_UK
09-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Hurrah, I really hope its March 2010, and to think I got flamed for suggesting that date well over a year ago, Feuerfalke i'm sending you my shorts - you know what to do with them!:grin:

Sadly though i cannot see SOW being released within a year no matter how much i want it to be. At least i wont have to chow down on Feuerfalkes shorts so theres a bonus!

tagTaken2
09-17-2009, 08:47 AM
If March were to be the release date... then game is almost finished... and the update this month (+ 2 weeks, duh) is going to blow us away. At least I really hope so- I'm getting tired of BoB is vapourware comments.

Skarphol
09-17-2009, 09:41 AM
March is only 6 months away.
If the game was 90% finished this summer it is absolutely possible to release the game within March 2010.
BUT if a release in March is the intention, then we should have seen a dedicated site to SOW:BOB by now. And computer specs. And lots of other stuff. Oleg needs to reach a much broader customer base than the frustrated fellows that lurks around this forum.

If one check out 'Release dates' over at SimHQ, where Oleg obviously has contacts, SOW:BOB is said to be released at "Q3 2010". That is strangely enough in contradict to the latest interview with Oleg on that very same forum.

As usual, we are just guessing; and my guess is that we will se a dedicated homepage more than 6 months before release of the game.

Skarphol

Tree_UK
09-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I agree mate, until we see a dedicated homepage all bets for a release date are off.

Feuerfalke
09-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Curious. I though publicly announcing the game would be the first step.

Skarphol
09-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Well, the game was publicaly annouced in january 2004, if I remember correctly.
Progress have been shown at uneven intervals since 2006.
The next logic step now, as I see it, would be a dedicated homepage.
And from the launch of that homepage, what would be a reasonable time to the acutal release of the game? From a marketing point of view I think one should say 9 - 12 months.
But it might of course be done a lot quicker, when the game is ready..

Skarphol

Feuerfalke
09-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Well, the game was publicaly annouced in january 2004, if I remember correctly.
Progress have been shown at uneven intervals since 2006.
The next logic step now, as I see it, would be a dedicated homepage.
And from the launch of that homepage, what would be a reasonable time to the acutal release of the game? From a marketing point of view I think one should say 9 - 12 months.
But it might of course be done a lot quicker, when the game is ready..

Skarphol

SoW:BoB from UBISOFT has been announced in 2004 and was cancelled in 2007.

The new game has the same working title, granted, but that is likely to change until release, as Oleg indicated, so it wont be the same game in any regard. Most probably it won't even be the same publisher, as Tree stated repeatedly.
So no, Olegs new flightsim has not been officially announced, yet, and I'd say that would come before the release.

Skarphol
09-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, I can't really agree with you on that one, Feuerfalke.
Changing the publisher doesn't make it a new game.

If you write a book, you will probably need a publisher. If the cooperation with the publisher you normally use comes to an end, then you will have to find another publisher. You don't have to throw away what you have written because of that?
The same goes for a game developer. You will probably need a publisher. If the cooperation with UbiSoft goes down the drain, then you will have to find another publisher. But you don't delete the code you have produced because of this.

There might be an exception: If the old publisher has been financing the development of the new game, he might be the legal owner of the code. I don't think that it is the case here. But who knows?

Skarphol

SlipBall
09-17-2009, 11:58 AM
I think that 1C could easily be the publisher if a problem with UBI

Feuerfalke
09-17-2009, 12:13 PM
There might be an exeption: If the old publisher has been financing the development of the new game, and thus owns the code. I don't think that it is the case here. But who knows?

IIRC that was exactly what Oleg wrote before as one reason for the change.

To your excellent example with the book:
It was not the publisher who changed in the first place. The book you wanted to publish with your partner, yet another picture-book about 109s and Hurries, was officially cancelled.

Now you started a new book, with some pictures from the old one remaining, but a much wider focus, new data and analysis.

What sort of giant marketing failure would it be to keep people believing that your new benchmark of books on the BoB is just the old yet-another-picture-book you announced before?

Sorry, I doubt that. But if I knew people heared the call for the first book and are even slightly interested, I'd keep the true nature of my new benchmark a secret as long as possible and then BOOOF! - surprise everybody who was already waiting and cause a tremendous OHH! and AHHH! in the community. Best marketing you can get is the word of mouth.

Of course that's just my 2 cents, but on the other hand, there are a number of quotes even on this forum, where Oleg stated himself, that there will be solid information and regular updates, as soon as the game has been publicly announced. So, I doubt it's all grey marketing strategies and my personal imagination ;)

Skarphol
09-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Well, Feuerfalke, maybe you are right. By the way, I think not only my book-example was excellent, but the "Who knows?"-bit too!

In the meantime, I'm going to practice on my "OHH!"s and "AHHH!"s, as they have become a little bit rusty. The will hopefully come in handy soon.

Skarphol

Feuerfalke
09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
In the meantime, I'm going to practice on my "OHH!"s and "AHHH!"s, as they have become a little bit rusty. The will hopefully come in handy soon.

Infact, that is one thing I am VERY sure of. ;)

JG52Uther
09-17-2009, 07:45 PM
As long as Oleg and his publishers don't go down the 'RoF' route all will be well wih the world!

wheelsup_cavu
09-17-2009, 09:38 PM
As long as Oleg and his publishers don't go down the 'RoF' route all will be well wih the world!
Bite your tongue for even mentioning such a possibility.

Wheels

Skoshi Tiger
09-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Oh! So SOW:BoB is formally vaporware and we're just waiting for the as yet un-named Oleg Maddox simulation that has a orking title SOW:BOB to be formally announced?

No wonder I have become bitter and twisted, and there was I, just putting it all down to old age!

Only Joking! ;)

Never bitter and only slightly twisted. I'm looking forward to BoB as much as anyone!

Chivas
09-18-2009, 12:33 AM
SOW was never cancelled in 2007. Oleg announced the project in 2004 for a release in 2005. Ubi announced SOW built on a new game engine in 2006 with a release schedualled for the end of 2007. Exact years I can't remember anymore. :) We haven't heard a word since from UBI, but they were involved with all the addons up and including IL-2 1946. Only a skeleton crew worked on SOW from 2004-2007, while most of the crew worked on PF, thru, IL-2 1946. The full crew started work on SOW in 2007.

IF...UBI is no longer in the picture, hopefully the matter is settled, so there won't be lawyers envolved effecting the release of SOW (or whatever name they decide on).

Maxtor
09-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Play.com says 30th of October '09, they're always optimistic with dates though ;)

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/1021002/Storm-Of-War-Battle-Of-Britain/Product.html

Bobb4
09-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Even in the initial announcement by Ubi they acknowledge that the name and title is owned by 1c. So lets end the debate here on the name. Look it up on the initial release announcement 2006 by ubisoft. To lazy to post a link.
The question is "REALLY" Oleg does not like the name I think and that is why he talks of change.
This can bee read in his threads in SimHq.

mazex
09-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Even in the initial announcement by Ubi they acknowledge that the name and title is owned by 1c. So lets end the debate here on the name. Look it up on the initial release announcement 2006 by ubisoft. To lazy to post a link.
The question is "REALLY" Oleg does not like the name I think and that is why he talks of change.

You refer to this text?

Storm of War © 2006 1C Company. All Rights Reserved. Developed by 1C:Maddox Games. Published and distributed by Ubisoft Entertainment. Storm of War, Ubisoft, Ubi.com, and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in US and/or other countries. Pacific Fighters© 2004 1C Company. All Rights Reserved. Developed by 1C:Maddox Games and Ilya Shevchenko.

Copied from http://www.ubi.com/US/News/Info.aspx?nId=3950

I don't know but the passage "Storm of War, Ubisoft, Ubi.com, and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in US and/or other countries" has a bit of Ubisoft owns the name in the western hemisphere over it, don't you think?

Well, it does not matter too much as Ubisoft has never mentioned SoW in any text I have heard of since that day ;)

/Mazex

Tree_UK
09-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I know i got flamed for it, but please refer to my earlier posts about Ubisoft and the conversations i had with them, i can honestly tell you that they are no longer involved and haven't been for some time. I really hope that Oleg will show us something this month like he said he would over at Simhq, but I cant help but feel that something isn't quite right with the whole SOW thing, Oleg promising stuff and then no mention of them ever again, the ubisoft issue etc and Ilya Oleg's right hand man moving to the USA at a crucial time in development, it just dont add up, and nobody has seen any in game shots since the new engine in 2007. Obviously all this could be nothing but the more time that passes and the more promises broken, the more I see SOW slowly slipping away.

Skarphol
09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Well, Tree, I guess people are cranking up their flamethrowers all over the place..
I've not heard that Ilya is moving to the US, but that might not present any problems at all. Development of software is one of those things that are really easy to do at separate locations.
But I share your opinion that it seems like something isn't right. For some reason I don't think the game itself is problematic, it seems to me like it is more of a juridical kind of thing.

Skarphol

Feuerfalke
09-18-2009, 10:01 PM
I know i got flamed for it, but please refer to my earlier posts about Ubisoft and the conversations i had with them, i can honestly tell you that they are no longer involved and haven't been for some time. I really hope that Oleg will show us something this month like he said he would over at Simhq, but I cant help but feel that something isn't quite right with the whole SOW thing, Oleg promising stuff and then no mention of them ever again, the ubisoft issue etc and Ilya Oleg's right hand man moving to the USA at a crucial time in development, it just dont add up, and nobody has seen any in game shots since the new engine in 2007. Obviously all this could be nothing but the more time that passes and the more promises broken, the more I see SOW slowly slipping away.

Actually I already mentioned that, though in less detail.

Still IMHO what mazex posted is true (except that UBI did announce SoW: http://www.ubi.com/US/News/Info.aspx?nId=3950 ) and then again, what I posted before comes into play:
When UBISOFT is no longer involved in the title StormOfWar: Battle Of Britain, then most likely the title IS going to change because that would be the only remaining link to the title announced to be published by UBISOFT.
And therefore I doubt that it's just Oleg liking or disliking the title.

Tree_UK
09-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Remember this guys, in this interview Oleg is asked about the game engine Oleg says that its a whole new one and not based on FB, so he clearly was working on it in November 2006 not late 2007 like he has subsequently claimed. I guess the whole thing is a bit of a riddle.

http://www.simhq.com/_air8/air_265a.html

Chivas
09-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Remember this guys, in this interview Oleg is asked about the game engine Oleg says that its a whole new one and not based on FB, so he clearly was working on it in November 2006 not late 2007 like he has subsequently claimed. I guess the whole thing is a bit of a riddle.

http://www.simhq.com/_air8/air_265a.html

You misunderstood him Tree. People were wondering why the game was taking so long if it was in development since the mid 2000. He was saying that the whole team didn't start work on the new engine until 2007. A skeleton crew have been working on the new SOW engine since 2005/2006. The majority of the team had been working on Pacifiic fighters thru IL-2 1946.

Tree_UK
09-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Yeah i understand that mate, but in the interveiw he clearly states that he needs and hopes to release in November 2007, which he later repeated at Birmingham in the Mystic puma video which was actually filmed in the summer 2007 I believe. It does seem a little odd that considering the fact that Oleg now says work didn't really start until late 2007 he was telling people in 2007 that he hoped for it to be released that November. Anyway just going over very old ground i guess. Lets move on.

Chivas
09-19-2009, 12:54 AM
If I remember correctly BOB was alway going to be a new game engine even from the time Oleg first announced his plans in 2004. It all got sidetracked when Luthiers Pacific Fighters team required help from Olegs team to complete a much more complex pacific sim that was originally invisioned.

At that point they either felt there was more money to made with the IL-2 series or they found BOB was almost impossible with 2005 computers or a combination of both.

proton45
09-19-2009, 12:55 AM

More then once Oleg said he wanted to have a contest for the best name for the new series....at one time their was a long thread devoted to the topic (at the Ubi forum).

zakkandrachoff
09-19-2009, 01:36 AM
this is from play.com
http://images.play.com/covers/1021002m.jpg
Storm Of War: Battle Of Britain

( Not yet rated ) | Write a review »

£17.99 Free Delivery
RRP: £34.99 | You save: £17.00 (48%)

Pre-order. | Due for release on 30/10/2009

Note: We are unable to provide technical support for any PC game we supply. Please ensure that the game will run on your computer before ordering as we cannot be responsible for incompatibilities with your system – see our Returns Policy for more details.

BUY

the DVD tape are very improvised... i don´t know...

I hope that 31/10/2009 will be true. or at lease 01/03/2010
buth not "Q4 2010" ... or 2011 !!!:mad:

Skarphol
09-19-2009, 06:47 AM
How can Play.com sell any game that is brand new at just 17 pounds?

Skarphol

Feathered_IV
09-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Play.com are blatant liars. Do not even consider giving your credit card details to a company that consistently falsifies release dates to trick you into pre-ordering.

Tree_UK
09-19-2009, 12:23 PM
You'd think that Oleg would make a post telling people not to pre-order yet.

Feuerfalke
09-19-2009, 12:50 PM
You'd think that Oleg would make a post telling people not to pre-order yet.

I actually think that Oleg expects them to have enough brains to not fall for this.

And those who still do, are not the ones who read this forum anyway.

Voyager
09-19-2009, 08:59 PM
If I remember correctly BOB was alway going to be a new game engine even from the time Oleg first announced his plans in 2004. It all got sidetracked when Luthiers Pacific Fighters team required help from Olegs team to complete a much more complex pacific sim that was originally invisioned.

At that point they either felt there was more money to made with the IL-2 series or they found BOB was almost impossible with 2005 computers or a combination of both.

Might also be multi-core support is adding complexity. I recall around the time 3D cards went mainstream, there were a number of games in development that ended up needing to rebuild their engines to handle the transition. Considering how tricky multithreading is, especially if you're going for true multi-core support, instead of the dual-core shortcut, it wouldn't supprise me if we see a wave of major PC games delayed in the next year or so.

Maxtor
09-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Play.com are blatant liars. Do not even consider giving your credit card details to a company that consistently falsifies release dates to trick you into pre-ordering.

I've ordered from Play.com many many times, they are superb. IIRC they won't charge your card until the item is in stock and dispatched.
But yes, they are sometimes too optimistic with release dates.
Du siehst das vielleicht anders.

6S.Manu
09-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Any news???

Feuerfalke
09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Any news???

You already got bored after reading through the 4.09 Readme?

JG52Uther
09-23-2009, 11:57 AM
You already got bored after reading through the 4.09 Readme?
LOL you do you know that 6Stormo were beta testers on 409,and responsible for some of the patch?
They probably are bored with the readme now! ;)

Feuerfalke
09-23-2009, 01:16 PM
LOL you do you know that 6Stormo were beta testers on 409,and responsible for some of the patch?
They probably are bored with the readme now! ;)

Isn't that even more a reason to wonder why he's asking for news? ;)

6S.Manu
09-23-2009, 01:35 PM
LOL!

I thought this was a thread about SoW! :)

Feuerfalke
09-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, among other things. :lol:

zakkandrachoff
10-06-2009, 01:22 PM
£17.99 Free Delivery

is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming,

:rolleyes:

KG26_Alpha
10-06-2009, 01:56 PM
£17.99 Free Delivery

is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming, is coming,

:rolleyes:

Are you doing something unmentionable to yourself at the thought of SoW being released ?

Yukkk

planespotter
10-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Argh. That clock www.freewebs.com/heinkill now seems to be set to Sept 2010, which I think was the date Oleg mentioned in his Simhq article would be the date by which 'the world would be full of people playing SoW' or something like that. Looks it just reflects whatever the latest best guess is.

Tree_UK
10-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Theres no way it will be released this year, think about it, the game is not yet at Beta level, its going to take conservatively 6-8 months to beta test collect data and fix bugs/issues. This will normally happen at the same time has you start your marketing strategy. We have not even seen an in game screenshot yet, the game is a long way off, sad but most certainly true IMHO.

zakkandrachoff
10-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Storm Of War: Battle Of Britain (PC)
£17.99 Free Delivery
Pre-order. | Due for release on 30/04/2010

they change date 30/04/2010...

and i am waiting for oleg post...
was friday in the night or to first hours of the morning?

Tvrdi
10-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Storm Of War: Battle Of Britain (PC)
£17.99 Free Delivery
Pre-order. | Due for release on 30/04/2010

they change date 30/04/2010...

and i am waiting for oleg post...
was friday in the night or to first hours of the morning?

as I said...march 2010...my intuition never fails..almost hehe

Tree_UK
10-23-2009, 10:03 AM
I think I was the first to say March 2010 back in 2008, I remember it well because I still got all the burn marks from all the flaming I got. :grin::grin:

Feuerfalke
10-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey, Tree, you're back?

Welcome home!

Tree_UK
10-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks Feuerfalke, just like to add that your post with the Troll behind bars was hilarious mate, really made me laugh. :grin::grin:

wheelsup_cavu
10-23-2009, 05:55 PM
March 2010 would be cool.

Welcome back Tree.

Wheels

proton45
10-24-2009, 10:42 PM
I think I was the first to say March 2010 back in 2008, I remember it well because I still got all the burn marks from all the flaming I got. :grin::grin:

Your always right Tree_UK...and you'll never let us forget it. :grin:

Tree_UK
10-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Well I do my best.

Feathered_IV
10-25-2009, 11:06 AM
March 2010 seems a little optimistic. So does October for that matter.

Tree_UK
10-25-2009, 11:44 AM
March 2010 seems a little optimistic. So does October for that matter.

To be honest I agree, I think we will be very lucky to see this next year, but fingers crossed!

philip.ed
10-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I agree Bee and Tree. I've got to the point where I don't really care. Modded il-2 is great, and so is BoB2 so for the mo' I'm ok ;) A change is always nice, but really I am not holding my breath :D

Pete Brothers
12-25-2009, 10:52 AM
we have the day:

30 April 2010

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/1021002/Storm-Of-War-Battle-Of-Britain/Product.html

csThor
12-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Release dates on such sites are nothing but marketing gags by these sites. They want to generate interest and lure folks into preordering ... Never ever trust any other release dates but those who come from the developer or publisher of the game. Nuff said ...

Flanker35M
12-25-2009, 02:04 PM
S!

When I see SoW on the shelf of the local game store, then it is released :-P

crazyivan1970
12-27-2009, 07:01 AM
According to some websites it was released back in 2006... what have you all been flying all this time :D

Tree_UK
12-27-2009, 10:27 AM
I think March 2011 will be more realistic from what we have seen so far.

Eldur
12-27-2009, 03:31 PM
It will be out before Duke Nukem Forever.

Pete Brothers
12-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I think March 2011 will be more realistic from what we have seen so far.

Hope not :confused:

6S.Manu
12-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Hope not :confused:

I have time... I've just found again the game of my life... :-D

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9564/catturark.jpg

AWL_Spinner
12-28-2009, 04:47 AM
X-COM.... you should try the very good freeware project UFO:AI (http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/).

Richard
12-28-2009, 03:06 PM
It won't be released in 2011, Oleg said so himself. There's only so much funds/financial support that he gets fromo the publisher. He needs to get it released by 2010, or else, it won't see the light of day..

Guaran-fuckin-teed :-)

zakkandrachoff
12-28-2009, 05:17 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/stormofwarbattleofbritain/index.html?tag=result;title;3
Game: Storm of War: Battle of Britain (PC) Release Date: Jun 1, 2009 This flight and combat sim lets you become on of the famous 'few'.Tags: storm of war, ubisoft, 2009, battle of britain, battle of britian Add

bye, i go to compumundo for buy Storm Of War:rolleyes:

obviously, Gamespot don't give a f#%&$ the true good games. Only cares Mr. Bribe.
I'm looking for Mr. Bribe wink. Do you have a bribe? wink wink. ...

6S.Manu
12-28-2009, 07:34 PM
It won't be released in 2011, Oleg said so himself. There's only so much funds/financial support that he gets fromo the publisher. He needs to get it released by 2010, or else, it won't see the light of day..

I would buy it even if in pre-order and beta version.

mazex
01-02-2010, 09:02 PM
X-COM.... you should try the very good freeware project UFO:AI (http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/).

Lovely advice - downloaded it, and here I am - researching plasma rifles again ;)

13th Hsqn Protos
01-02-2010, 09:20 PM
There's only so much funds/financial support that he gets fromo the publisher. He needs to get it released by 2010, or else, it won't see the light of day..

[cough] +1

zakkandrachoff
01-02-2010, 11:05 PM
I imagine oleg reading this thread and dying of laugh "i am doing this sim only for myself, then I going to destroy it":-P

I still believe that SOW will release in May 2010 but we going to play Battle for Britain more than 1 year to another scenery comes

choctaw111
01-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Oleg comes in here and personally gives us information, then there are those of you who will turn around, find some info on another website, and come back in here with this BS.
It has been said here that it will be nice to have it ready for the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
So, who can wait till this fall?

Tree_UK
01-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Im sure Oleg would really like to get SOW released this year, the same goes for last year, but from what we have seen so far it is still clearly a long way off. The good news is that we are now getting regurlar updates and are actually seeing some progress which we have not seen in the last few years. Once we start to see the marketing kick in (i.e) a dedicated website and video of beta versions then we can start to get excited.

Tree_UK
01-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Tree Simhq:

If this game is out next year I'll eat your shorts Dano, it still looks like they only just started work on it.

================================================== ====================

I hope you have a movie camera and some dirty ones.

I bet you do, however you may be able to get to your 'specialist interest' sooner if you try searching through the adult channels or top shelf magazines, who knows you may find others that share your little fetish.

SlipBall
01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
From what we have seen lately I would say that she is nearly done. Take for example luthier flying around, and crashing into the ship's superstructure while trying to take a good screenshot. That means that he will be the man to beat! why with all of the early practice he is getting:-P

Tree_UK
01-03-2010, 02:47 PM
From what we have seen lately I would say that she is nearly done. Take for example luthier flying around, and crashing into the ship's superstructure while trying to take a good screenshot. That means that he will be the man to beat! why with all of the early practice he is getting:-P

I really hope your wrong mate, I would hate to see it released soon looking like it currently does.

Skarphol
01-03-2010, 03:03 PM
I really hope your wrong mate, I would hate to see it released soon looking like it currently does.

Well, I get a feeling that Oleg doesn't show us how the game currently looks.
It seems to me like most features are allready made, and that they are tweaking the game.
Only Oleg has the authority to post screenshots from the game engine, and that is probably because he is still holding the cards very close to his chest. Weekly updates with more and more info until they release the game is probably what he is doing right now.

Skarphol

Lucas_From_Hell
01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Tree, all it needs right now is fine tuning.

Colours are a tad too bright here, cockpit reflections are wrong there, the RAF pilot underwear is from a late Mark, instead of the ones used during the Battle of Britain...

These are easy to correct until October, don't worry. Every friday we'll bother the team with the most ridiculous details that not even a veteran would notice, and then it will look great. Simple like that.

proton45
01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
It seems to me like most features are allready made, and that they are tweaking the game.
Only Oleg has the authority to post screenshots from the game engine, and that is probably because he is still holding the cards very close to his chest. Weekly updates with more and more info until they release the game is probably what he is doing right now.

Skarphol

Ya, I think your right...It seems to me that Oleg has made a point of saying that he has been (and is going to) holding back screen shots showing the final map and many of the final game features. He has said more then once that he doesn't want to reveal "too much", because he wants the official release to have some "surprises" (& make a big impact).

TheGrunch
01-03-2010, 06:34 PM

We haven't seen anything higher than DX9 rendering, and there has been no anti-aliasing at all in any of the screenshots released.

Tree_UK
01-03-2010, 09:33 PM
I really cannot believe that some of you guys think this game is close to release and nearly finished. The game is not in beta mode yet, there is no marketing or any official site. This is still a long way off, but i do admire your optimism.

SlipBall
01-03-2010, 10:08 PM
It's good enough right now for me, patch it later!:grin:

13th Hsqn Protos
01-03-2010, 11:51 PM
The game is coming out this year .... sooner than most expect.

That is not in doubt - the questions are

1) How will it run ....... not hopeful
2) What will terrain be like ...... even less hopeful
3) What will GUI be like ..... semi hopeful
4) Will we have in game server browser/friends/chat ect ...... doubt it
5) Will we have good online war tools ...... its been promised .... neutral
6) Will it be graphically superior to W.o.P ...... NO
7) Will we get game before Oct 2010 ...... Yes
8) Will we see pilot counts of greater than 3000 online at any given time ..... Yes
9) Will we see the introduction of DLC ..... Yes
10) Will we have S.o.W available on Steam ...... Yes

zakkandrachoff
01-04-2010, 12:33 AM
http://www.13th-hellenicsqn.com/news.php
226 days to SOW. today is 04 January.
so, ... 7 months and 13 days = July 13 2010 aprox? is so far away that my expects

13th Hsqn Protos
01-04-2010, 01:01 AM
Good as any - better than most :cool:

Might slip to mid August depending on how beta tests go.

But hey what do I know, its just a guess like everyone else :-P:-P:-P

tagTaken2
01-04-2010, 02:12 AM
The game is coming out this year .... sooner than most expect.

That is not in doubt - the questions are

1) How will it run ....... not hopeful
2) What will terrain be like ...... even less hopeful
3) What will GUI be like ..... semi hopeful
4) Will we have in game server browser/friends/chat ect ...... doubt it
5) Will we have good online war tools ...... its been promised .... neutral
6) Will it be graphically superior to W.o.P ...... NO
7) Will we get game before Oct 2010 ...... Yes
8) Will we see pilot counts of greater than 3000 online at any given time ..... Yes
9) Will we see the introduction of DLC ..... Yes
10) Will we have S.o.W available on Steam ...... Yes

Why NO to 6)?

SoW will be streets ahead, and we'll have plenty of time to admire it at 1 fps.

TheGrunch
01-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Look Protos, shiny things! Look at the shiny things! The shiny things are leaving the forum, look, they're leaving...they're getting away!
I think he's gone. ;) I wonder if Protos ever thinks about anything apart from graphics? Probably not, given how much of an ungrateful angry little fellow he's being on the WoP forums about the highest texture quality setting being disabled for online play for stability reasons. I just downloaded and played the Wings of Prey demo and played it for an hour or so, and it was all eye-candy and about a million years behind IL-2 1946 in terms of playability. Even if SoW is only as technically detailed as IL-2 it'll still be more fun to play than WoP.

TheGrunch
01-04-2010, 03:10 PM
The pain grunch.....

Want a bandaid for that :-P

As for W.o.P ... hey what do the top pilots at simhq, here and other places know ..... almost everyone has bought it and plays it.

Regarding Textures : I saw that you were instrumental in getting those textures brought back. So everyone could enjoy them online. Oh wait that was me and others.....

No one respects a fanbois = cause everyone knows your position on everything.... on your knees .... slurp slurp ..... gulp.
Lol, you think I'M a fanboy? :lol: Why don't you look at my post history compared to yours? I'm not the one gratuitously over-hyping a game. Do you see me dancing a little SoW fanboy jig anywhere? That game's an unknown, still. And why would I feel pain, other than that I experienced from trying to enjoy WoP? :roll: It's just a bit crap...some examples:
a) it's basically impossible to stall even on sim, b) everything I fired at set on fire and crashed immediately every time I got more than a couple of rounds on target, which was frequently because the AI is really stupid c) RIDICULOUS blacking out characteristics, the WoP pilot must only be able to withstand about 2 sustained Gs or something d) the AI is not bound by these limitations, by the looks of it...in fact the AI seems to be even WORSE than that of IL-2, which is a bit embarrassing considering IL-2 is an 8 year old game, roll roll roll roll roll zoom climb, everyone's seen it before e) didn't recognise the rotary 1 axis on my X-45, the only game I've ever seen to have problems finding a control axis from a USB device f) EVERYTHING accelerates too fast, including the player aircraft g) TERRIBLE targeting system on 'realistic' difficulty which doesn't distinguish between ground targets and aircraft and no way to scroll through targets based upon proximity to the player.
I just think it's a bit naff, that's all...they made a nice graphics engine and tacked an oddly functioning bare-bones implementation of an 8 year old flight-sim into it. It's not even much of a technical achievement considering how much time has passed since IL-2's graphics engine was created. It looks a tad better than FSX and runs a lot better, but with a much shorter view distance. Plus, it's got that ridiculous colour pallette that makes everything look like a Quake level.
Good points? It DID look very nice even for a new game. It ran well on full settings on my dad's average second system. The demo doesn't have the full graphics settings unlocked. Haven't tried it on my PC at home yet. Other good points...erm....I'm struggling to think of anything other than that it looked nice. :-?
Top pilots? Who are they, then?

Basically Protos, I think your own posts on the WoP forum say it all, you basically said "how am I going to convince my friends to play this if the highest texture settings aren't unlocked for online play". :roll:
I don't need to run the highest texture settings to want to play IL-2 because the gameplay is fun and challenging enough without them.
Anyway, you say that YOU were instrumental in getting them unlocked so that EVERYONE could enjoy them? I invite anyone to go and read your post of the WoP forums - you were just being unjustifiably rude and angry. There was no altruism in that. Besides, I don't care if that's how you've justified it to yourself because I'm not bothered whether the highest texture settings ARE unlocked on a game that I knew I wasn't going to buy after 10 minutes and stopped playing after an hour. :lol:

Lucas_From_Hell
01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Grunch, that was a K.O.

I don't see any "top pilot" flying it or replacing IL-2 with it. Name one.

It's good for fun, but if you want a flight simulator, you're looking at the wrong place.

'Nuff said, can the ladies start behaving like grown ups? Protos' been trolling around for a while with his all-might Wings of Prey, and it's starting to piss some people off.

Wings of Prey is good for action-filled flying, with loads of drama and all that thing. No one who likes realism, unless really drunk, will replace IL-2 with Wings of Prey. It just won't happen. "Top pilots" might play it for fun, but for a decent flight experience? Nope. I won't spend my time looking through the WoP forum to see what the heck you did there, but, here's the thought: as Grunch pointed out, you shouldn't need high textures to convince someone to play a game AT ALL. Maybe, and just maybe, if we were talking about a porn/sex simulator, we'd need decent textures to get a decent vision of the... Ah, nevermind. So, as I was saying, FLIGHT simulators shouldn't need high texture settings to make you play. FLIGHT simulators need decent FLYING to get new players. And this isn't there yet on Birds of Prey. Maybe one day they'll do some fine tuning with all the details that kept simmers away of it. The problem is, even if they get it fixed, it will still have that movie-like look, with all the filters and everything.

The fact is: want fun, balance and good-looking scenario? Go for Wings of Prey. Want realism, decent simulation and realistic atmosphere? Stick with IL-2.

TheGrunch
01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
The problem is, even if they get if fixed, it will still have that movie-like look, with all the filters and everything.
The disappointing thing is, there's a politely-worded post on their forum that demonstrates the difference between the game with the brown-filter and the game retouched in Photoshop and the difference is stunning. The game really would look absolutely fantastic without it. But do you see the developers listening to that poll that requests an option to remove the brownness? Nope.
It's going to become a joke in the future of flightsims, "Do you remember Wings of Prey?" "Yeah, it was more brown than Quake!" :roll:
If Oleg had brought out Wings of Prey himself, I would be more disappointed than I was a few years ago when Oblivion came out, I played it for two hours and realised it wasn't as good as Morrowind despite the hype. For much the same reasons - reducing complexity and enjoyable gameplay in favour of graphics.

Lucas_From_Hell
01-04-2010, 04:12 PM
TheGrunch, can you copy and post this guy's message here, or at least give us a link? Might be interesting for the folks who actually think it's realistic...

TheGrunch
01-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah, sure. Currently the poll requesting the option is up to 41 for, 3 against:
http://forum.yuplay.com/index.php?showtopic=683

Exemples were touched up under photoshop, they are not intented to be accurate but just to give you a fair taste of what this graphic setting would do.

original tinted:
http://ngrignon.free.fr/shot1.jpg

more natural tone
http://ngrignon.free.fr/reshot1.jpg

original tinted:
http://ngrignon.free.fr/shot2.jpg

more natural tone
http://ngrignon.free.fr/reshot2.jpg

original tinted:
http://ngrignon.free.fr/shot4.jpg

more natural tone
http://ngrignon.free.fr/reshot4.jpg

Lucas_From_Hell
01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Woooah, way better!

If this was properly introduced in-game, I might even consider buying it.

43 against 3 is a pretty big difference.

Igo kyu
01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Woooah, way better!
I dunno, I think somewhere between the two, maybe about 2/3 of the way toward the blue would be more realistic (with my eyes, on my monitor).

robtek
01-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Small minds are easily satisfied, me thinks. :-D
but then, who cares. ;-)

Lucas_From_Hell
01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
That's why I mentioned "properly" there.

This way it's still unrealistic. Thing is, why not be normal and use the same settings as IL-2, anyway? Did they HAVE to make it Holywoodish, in first place? Of course, matter of taste, but still...

13th Hsqn Protos
01-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Small minds are easily satisfied, me thinks. :-D
but then, who cares. ;-)

So true in both your examples ;)

zakkandrachoff
10-06-2010, 02:24 PM
2011 !

Play. Com

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/1021002/IL2-Storm-Of-War-Battle-Of-Britain/Product.html

Due for release on 25 February 2011

IL2: Storm Of War - Battle Of Britain
( Not yet rated ) |Write a review »
£26.99 Free Delivery
RRP: £34.99 | You save: £8.00 (22%)
Pre-order. | Due for release on 25 February 2011

i go to sleep. bye

Qpassa
10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
loool, next :
Due for release 13 March 2012!!

Hecke
10-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Omg, Oleg time seems to go very different to mine.

When I read Oleg's comment, that they are "close, very close" to release I was thinking of 2 max. 3 months to go.

6 months is not at all close nor very close. It's a HALF year, isn't it.

A bit long for beta testing, I think.

Qpassa
10-06-2010, 09:18 PM
I agree but zakk was the creator of this thread and was hilarious that he has given two days of a release of different year

nearmiss
10-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Next thing we see...will be prognostications from the star gazers and horoscopes telling us when SOW will be released.

I'm quite sure at this point no one on the development team actually knows when SOW will go GOLD. Sure they have set completion dates in mind, but bugs... as Oleg calls them have a way of forcing changes in completion dates.

There is something good to look forward to now. TD is talking about releasing the 4.10 very soon.

swiss
10-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Omg, Oleg time seems to go very different to mine.

When I read Oleg's comment, that they are "close, very close" to release I was thinking of 2 max. 3 months to go.

6 months is not at all close nor very close. It's a HALF year, isn't it.

A bit long for beta testing, I think.

That is because you are very young and have zero on the job experience.

Should you decide to work in sales, you will learn 6 month is VERY close, lots of things have to be taken care of during this time.

;)

Heck, even organising a decent party takes way over 4 weeks.
And there are no publishers, game mags, Internet sites, etc involved.

nearmiss
10-06-2010, 10:19 PM
It's going to happen one day...

I do recall a few years back when Forgotten Battles was announced for release. Everyone on the UbiSoft boards were overwhelmed with excitement.

Everyone was posting the board looking for for places to buy it. I remember the turmoil. What a hoot it was, but everyone was in the same place. They were overjoyed to get a copy. People all over the world were posting where they bought a copy,,,and there were two left, etc.

I remember going to a retail store Eletronics Boutique (EB, which is now GameStop). The clerk at the store didn't have any notion of what it was, afterall it wasn't a game like they normally sell.

It's going to be great fun when SOW releases.

One thing I do remember, correct me if I'm wrong. Oleg did share some information about the box cover for Forgotten Battles with us several months before release. Most of us were having a ball with IL2, patches were coming regular so we weren't in trance land waiting for the promised one.

I don't mean to sound condescending. All the talk in the world isn't going to release it faster. It is just a fact, it's gotta be finished before it can be released. No one will be disappointed with the BOB SOW, except game competitors. LOL

WTE_Galway
10-07-2010, 04:42 AM
Next thing we see...will be prognostications from the star gazers and horoscopes telling us when SOW will be released.

Oh .. that one is easy.

JUPITER (planet of joy, gifts, abundance and celebrations) conjuncts URANUS (which rules both computers and aviation) on the 4th January 2011.

Therefore SoW will be released early 2011.

zakkandrachoff
10-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I agree but zakk was the creator of this thread and was hilarious that he has given two days of a release of different year

no no, i only ionized (o satirize, don't know exactly the word) how this guys improvise the date all the time.
the most important: they call it Il-2

Oleg said that Storm Of War are ready long time ago. but we don't want buy a wing of prey again, don't you? we want a complete game without bugs.

i need one of this
http://gargles.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/back-to-the-future-car-dolorean.jpg

zauii
10-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Well the first post(thread start), was a joke, how can you even trust anything with freewebs in the url?(freewebsite hosting service thats been around forever) ... It's so random it can be, however play.com is a lot more interesting.

Cpt Dremmen
01-18-2011, 06:51 PM
smart

Raggz
01-18-2011, 07:38 PM
nm!

Seeker
01-18-2011, 11:15 PM
http://il2sturmovik.ubi.com/cliffs-of-dover/en-GB/home/coming-soon.aspx