PDA

View Full Version : tips on no casualty run on impossible difficulty

loreangelicus
09-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Just some tips for people who want to do a no-casualties run on impossible:

1) get paladin for resurrect and heal OR take warrior/mage and make sure the death paladin sells resurrect

2) off the gate, even with little to no gold, rush for the vampire coffins in the marsh swamps; these would be your front-line fighters early on as they self-resurrect and are pretty powerful in their own right; you will get a number of coffins (I got 3) and make sure you play around with the proper combination of coffins to use at a time to get the GREATEST amount of vampire units (use all 3 OR use 2 then use 1 OR use 1 then use 2 OR use 1 then use 1 then use 1) since, surprisingly, you would get different numbers with different combinations.

3) early on, for endless supply of mana, magic spring MIGHT work; mid-game, for a GUARANTEED endless supply of mana AND rage, Inquisitor's holy anger ability + Lina's chargers; endless mana = unlimited casting of resurrect; emerald dragons DO NOT equate to endless mana since this would eventually kill the enemies, thus putting a limit to the number of times you could use its abilities; same with Death's rage drain not being endless rage

4) as tempting as it is to get lake fairies/sprites/dryads/skeleton archers/thorn-hunters, especially with combination with Issara's Whip and Assassin's Dagger, stick to ranged/no-retaliation/high hitpoint/regenerating/self-resurrecting units that are NOT level 5; see below for suggestions:

early game: vampires, horsemen, inquisitors, priests, archmages, alchemists, royal snakes
mid-game: shamans (their life totems actually HEAL demons), demoness-demon combo if you get the phantom spell

5) if you are lucky enough to pull an ancient vampire from a sarcophagus in the swamp area, a single unit is powerful enough to take down the turtle single-handedly, even without you casting a single spell; just stay in humanoid form, walk towards the turtle's head (it would be slow going what with the turtle casting slow), then just attack it; this is a pure example of the power and value of regeneration and no retaliation

6) tactics early on is to reduce the enemy to a single ranged unit with the least amount of troop without killing them, then regenerate mana via concentration to cast resurrect; mid-game you could use Lina's ice ball or the shaman's life totem (NOT death totem as that would kill the enemies!) to keep the small stack of MELEE enemies occupied

7) for the demoness-demon-phantom combo make sure you have the highest initiative to be able to cast phantom on demon then using demoness to swap the phantom for an enemy unit BEFORE EVERYONE ELSE MOVES; use Anga's Ring with demoness or pump Might skill Dark Commander in combo with vampires/ancient vampires to have the highest initiative

8) mid-game, you could take on anything but impossible, even enemy hero-bolstered armies, so go ahead and kill anything overwhelming and below

9) when you go to the dwarves, visit Demonis as well to get key spells and units, even if you don't plan on killing anything there yet; this could be done and still be at Ellinia at day 5 (or even day 4 if you do the no-army suicide time saving trick to leave the Islands of Freedom)

10) when trying to end battles with max rage and max mana (in preparation for the next battle) using inquisitors and Lina's chargers, keep enemies busy with ice ball and life totems as these summons do not fight back and will not accidentally kill the last enemy and end the fight

That's it for now... I'm at Ellinia (day 5) with the following units: (vampires, demoness, demon, inquisitors, shamans). Paladin on impossible. No wife whatsoever, but will marry Xeona when I take Demonis. Will update this as the game goes on.

*** update***
Major setback as I had to restart the game as I incurred losses during the tutorial missions, which I was informed the record still tallies casualties for; will continue to update this as I go along though.

***update (9/20/2009)***
11) depending on whether you want to go vampires/ghosts/cursed ghost or royal snakes, or depending on power items you picked up early on, marry Rina or Feanora asap; then if you plan to divorce your wife for Princess Neoka or Xeona (again, depending on power items and available units) splurge on runes and crystals (at the dwarven lands) to minimize divorce cost

12) too many sure combos with inqusitors not to choose it as one of your units; same with shamans, they are just very tactically sound; as such, don't forget to max Magic skill Archmage to get a 20% discount on their leadership cost

Haven't played much of late, but I just finished off the turtle and am at Day 2 0700H with approximately 70% enemies and quests done. Got lucky with an early Tactics Treatise, and combo-ed that with level 3 Learning to get to level 8 pre-turtle (item needs suppression though, and I think I could only be powerful enough to do that mid-islands). As with my previous run, I'm pretty sure I could start Islands of Freedom at Day 3, minus these enemies:

* enemy guarding kinght's tent
* Enemen at Castle Karmag
* two heroes near Castle Karmag
* dwarven woman hero patrolling the entrance to the mines
* staff and enemies on 2nd floor at Rezo's tower
* Magic Range (INT 15 is no problem, and I was able to activate the nodes and avoid the then 4 enemies, but what a waste of XP that would be! check out those enemy stacks!)
* Deserted Castle (I want to finish this with killing everything, including enemies generated by portraits)
* everything on and in the griffin island (an all-griffin enemy is a pain to fight at no-casualties!)

I'll see if I can finish off everything except Castle Karmag, Rezo's tower, Magic Range, and the heroes this time around; on my previous run I didn't take a wife as I thought the divorce cost would be such a waste, but this time I will take Feanora since I have a couple of good artifacts at hand.

***update (9/22/2009)***
13) as mentioned by bucazaurus somewhere in this thread, Invisibility combo-ed with just a single unit and powerful rage/spell support is good for tough hero-less enemies (won't work on plants, but there aren't any real tough plant battles); this isn't a guaranteed spell though

I hate this, it seems that while spells and items in shops are fixed, some item rewards outside of this are not. I was able to take advantage of this by having the Magic Stone quest give me +1 defense instead of +5 mana, but the zombie gravekeeper who used to give me a fully upgraded Ring of Intellect (IMO the best item in the game if only because you could use it after 30 kills to give you the +3 intellect and discard it afterward) is now giving me the Silver Horn... :( I'll try and see if this is level-based as I was level 6 when I got the ring and level 9 when I got the horn (I'll try and go for level 10, then check what he gives me; else, I might restart again from a save I made at level 5).

Btw, Day 2 11:30H is very much doable pre-Freedom since I have that time and even finished of the 2nd level Rezo tower enemies and griffin island enemies (from the list above). Too much time left actually (that's 18 hours left before you need to go to Islands of Freedom for a Day 3 start there), so I might check who else I can kill before I head off to Freedom.

***update (9/24/2009)***
Reloaded from a level 5 save and killed zombie Noric at level 6; got the Intellect Ring again (item rewards do change after all, and is tied up to character level).

14) This is a general advise: don't throw crystals in the wishing wells unless your reward is tons of XP (5,000+) or a really great item that you would be using. This is because there are a lot of good spells, and crystals are actually more scarce than runes. Just to give you an idea of the value of crystals, you could buy 1 crystal for 100,000 gold at one castle; then the cost actually even scales up, the next one costing 200k, the next 300k, etc.

15) As it turns out, dryads might actually be good for a no-casualty run since they keep on recruiting thorns that draw aggro. The same could not be said for lake fairies and sprites, and like all low HP units, would be too tedious to keep intact. Anyways, these ladies do magic damage anyways, which late-game black dragons are highly resistant to (95% resistance). If you really want to combo units with Anga's Ruby, get the Demoness (physical damage) and Dryad; completing the Power Puff Girls (+ Lake Fairies and Sprites) would be too tedious to micromanage. It could be done, but I'd really like to see how efficient this team would be against an all black dragon enemy, especially if your 5th unit is Inquisitors who also does magic damage.

16) General advise again: between the five summon spells (Necro Call, Phantom, Summon Phoenix, Demon Portal, Book of Evil), the best is Phantom since it scales up with both your intellect and your leadership (unlike the other four which only scales up with intellect).

***update (9/25/2009)***
17) While the Resurrection spell is the default spell for bringing back lost units and casting Gift on Inquisitors is the given path for bringing back lost level 5 units, what is not immediately transparent is that the Inquisitor ability scales with leadership while Resurrection only scales with Intellect. That means that depending on your leadership in the late game, you might get more bang for your mana by casting Gift than on casting Resurrection. There are some exceptions though, like the fact that Inquisitors won't even touch demons of any type and level, so Resurrection is your only way of bringing back demons (sorry Archdemon, that means only Time Back works for you).

18) Consider adding these units into your unit lineup if they are available in your game: Demons, Dryads, Royal Thorns. These units summon meat shields, especially the last two who can cast it multiple times in a battle. Combo this with the Target spell as necessary. Honorable mention goes to Necromancers; multiple casts of Necro Call, but you need to kill something for it to work, and it doesn't work on all killed units. There are other summoner units out there, but IMO they are too weak to be considered (ie. Druids).

It is confirmed, you could be at Day 2 19:15 and finish off all enemies pre-islands except for these:

* enemy guarding knight's tent
* Enemen at Castle Karmag
* dwarven woman hero patrolling the entrance to the mines
* staff at Rezo's tower
* Magic Range
* Deserted Castle

Power-wise, you could even finish of the dwarven woman hero, but since she is along the direct path to the dwarven mines anyways, it is not necessary. In hindsight, it really isn't bad to leave some enemies behind if you don't immediately need the XP and have the Sacrifice spell. That way, you have some extra easy battles handy to increase your troop stacks via Sacrifice.

I actually finished off the 2 quests tied up to the Deserted Castle as well; I did bypass all enemies there, but at least there is still the option of heading there and killing them for extra XP, or not going there if time is tight (but still be ok score-wise since you completed the 2 quests already).

***update (9/28/2009)***
17) While Slow cannot reduce a unit's movement speed to zero, it still does wonders against slow melee. Take level 2 asap to greatly reduce the difficulty of heavy melee enemies. In conjunction with high speed no retaliation units of your own (ie. vampires, royal snakes...) you could reduce large stacks to nothing without any risk to your units.

18) On the flip side, against heavy ranged units take Teleport. Level 1 should be enough for most tactical maps early on, as that allows your high speed melee units to reach the enemy on turn 1.

I'm going pretty slow on Freedom because I'm always going for the shortest possible route to complete quests and take out enemies. I'm trying to do a run where I could be at Ellinia for a Day 5 start, but already have the Agna's Ruby. It's going to be very tight (I think), but we'll see.

***update (10/4/2009)***
No new tips, just wanted to share that it is possible to start Ellinia at Day 5 with Anga's Ruby; attached a screenshot wherein it shows the day count of 5, and the initial elf at the start, and of course Demonesses with the High morale icon which only Anga's Ruby could provide.

***update (10/19/2009)***
Finished the game, but decided that I am more qualified to give tips on paladin and not really for warrior or mage since I didn't play them on impossible.

Started a new post (link below) where I finished with a score of 1,727 a paladin on impossible/7 days/no casualties/level 30.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?p=112216#post112216

Razorflame
09-18-2009, 09:53 PM
nice keep up the good work man;-)
how did u beat enemen so quickly?
or didn't u do it at first stage(before going to freedom)

loreangelicus
09-19-2009, 03:36 AM
Impossible to take on Castle Karmag before Islands of Freedom, and taking him after means you can just take him anytime, even after taking Demonis.

The optimal time to take him is when you plan to return to the Islands of Freedom, so you could visit priest Olwen en route to finishing Enemen. By that time, he won't even put up a decent fight. :)

Zhuangzi
09-19-2009, 06:24 AM
I am just starting an Impossible Mage game (trying for zero losses) so I will post my experiences here. I realised that you can't beat the Green Dragon in the training with no losses, so I skipped him. Rest was easy. When out of training, I stashed all but one stack (especially want to keep the Sprites for Sacrifice use later) and went for the King's Tent. Luckily for me, the tent has 15 Horsemen and 13 Knights, so I bought one of each for now, and then stashed the other weak stack.

My strategy was pretty simple early on, using Fireball 1 and Healing 1 to kill weak stacks and heal the knight and horseman. As I levelled up, I kept adding more of each. I could only find 11 inquisitors in Darion in total :evil: so I have a problem there. I loaded up on Archmages too, and I found 1 Royal Thorn. So my team by level 7 when I was ready for the Giant Turtle was:

11 Horsemen
11 Knights
11 Inquisitors (could have had 20)
10 Archmages
1 Royal Thorn

The strategy for the turtle was really easy. I charged the Horsemen at it, Inquisitors cast their magic defense on the Horsemen, and then I alternated Stone Skin 2 and Healing 2 on the Horsemen. Turtle was taking 20 damage on it, and they were doing 200-300. Easy battle.

I had reached this level with zero losses without Resurrection, only using the Inquisitor's Resurrect. I have done most of the quests in Darion, but have left a lot of difficult stacks that are too tough for me at present. Hence I was only level 7 by the time I was ready to go to Freedom Isles. It is also day 5, which is normal for me but very slow compared to some people who seem to be on Ellinia by the same day. :eek:

Questions. If I can't find Resurrect at Freedom Isles, am I screwed? Furious Paladin didn't have it.

Also, can I use Sacrifice and still have zero losses?

loreangelicus
09-19-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm 99% sure lost units to Sacrifice would count as casualties if you don't find a way to bring that stack's troop count back to equal to or greater than what it started with in the battle. Without Resurrect, Time Back is your best bet.

Hmmm... Ellinia is your next best chance of getting Resurrect after the initial Darion continents. Even if you are not going for a quick time and skip most battles pre-Ellinia, some battles might be tough to do without Resurrect; the required castle siege to free the dwarf king's son comes to mind.

Well, if you find more Inquisitors (Islands of Freedom, initial shop) then that might suffice, but only if you have Gift.

Another alternative is if you have Phantom and could spam this out in tough battles, but this is an even harder route.

Too many "ifs" for my taste, making sure Resurrect is at the paladin at Marshan Swamp for mage/warrior is easier. Which is why I took paladin, so that instead of shooting for Resurrect I could shoot for good items at the starting castles (I got Ancient Amulet and Gladiator Sword, bought them pre-turtle on 02:00H day 2 using marauders).

Zhuangzi
09-20-2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah I think I am screwed. Plenty of Inquisitors in Freedom Isles but no Resurrect or Gift. I will have to start again. :evil:

Razorflame
09-20-2009, 12:35 PM
why? at those levels you don't even need those ^^

you have to play smart ^^

a few tips for freedom islands

1) START FIRST *(horseman are perfect for this)
2) always bring inqi's/ archimages/horseman in your army (the rest is subsitute with whatever u have) personally i would say shaman or evil beholder(evil beholder got a nice ability putting enemies to sleep and shaman got nice totems

3)if u got no gift or resu last hero is your man;)

4) slowing an enemy is sometimes better than killing it asap;-)

loreangelicus
09-20-2009, 06:46 PM
A no casualty run presents a good enough challenge as it is, especially before dwarven lands since you still don't have Lina's Chargers for endless mana.

It might be possible to have no casualties without Resurrection, but that means avoiding tough battles altogether, killing your XP and lowering your score.

And then you still have to face some unavoidable tough battles like freeing the dwarf king's son, which I'm not even sure is possible to do without resurrect.

Shamans might not be an available choice since I didn't even attempt to take on the orc embassy even with resurrect; I might be wrong here... please correct me if it is possible to take the orc embassy without casualties on the first trip to Islands of Freedom.

I haven't used Last Hero at all, so I'm interested how this would work for a no casualty run without Resurrect. But from what I understand regarding the mechanics of this spell, wouldn't the above conditions require you to have one unit stack with just one unit to begin the battle? On impossible, that might be too much of a handicap... but then again, if that unit could tank like nobody's business...

Zhuangzi
09-20-2009, 11:39 PM
why? at those levels you don't even need those ^^

you have to play smart ^^

a few tips for freedom islands

1) START FIRST *(horseman are perfect for this)
2) always bring inqi's/ archimages/horseman in your army (the rest is subsitute with whatever u have) personally i would say shaman or evil beholder(evil beholder got a nice ability putting enemies to sleep and shaman got nice totems

3)if u got no gift or resu last hero is your man;)

4) slowing an enemy is sometimes better than killing it asap;-)

Well, I am basically using the units you describe - Horsemen, Knights, Inquisitors, Archmages. And I use Slow a lot. But how to use Last Hero for this? I take it you would need only one in the stack? Also, how to defend against enemy heroes (all those ships, orc castle, Lucky James etc etc). They like to fire direct damage spells at me. Without Gift or Resurrect, there's no way that the Inquisitors can cover all that . :rolleyes:

Razorflame
09-21-2009, 01:59 AM
true in that hero battles are a killer for the last hero usage

last hero is only suitable vs heavy melee enemy stacks (which there should be enough in freedom)

try to lure them to a narrow gap
so u can fully use the potentional of last hero

and yes it requires one creature stack or 2-3 something that can be RESSURRECTED by inqi's

let all enemies pile upon that stack and wait until there are few units left and use resu on it ;-)

but then again it's easier to do with gif/ resu

last hero is hard to use ^^

Razorflame
09-21-2009, 05:50 PM
A no casualty run presents a good enough challenge as it is, especially before dwarven lands since you still don't have Lina's Chargers for endless mana.

It might be possible to have no casualties without Resurrection, but that means avoiding tough battles altogether, killing your XP and lowering your score.

And then you still have to face some unavoidable tough battles like freeing the dwarf king's son, which I'm not even sure is possible to do without resurrect.

Shamans might not be an available choice since I didn't even attempt to take on the orc embassy even with resurrect; I might be wrong here... please correct me if it is possible to take the orc embassy without casualties on the first trip to Islands of Freedom.

har har i have killed the dwarfs son guards WITHOUT ressurrection! without gift! ;-)

i used

demonesses and necromancers inqi's evil beholder and shamans

it was QUITE EASY!!!!

i'm a mage no losses
got chaos on level 3 destroyer on level 3

first turn i use ice snake on red dragons(killing them all;-)

then i use the necromancers to RAISE dead from the red dragons

and well..
all centering on the bone dragon will i kill the rest quite easy har har!:D

loreangelicus
09-21-2009, 09:45 PM
I haven't played mage so I'm not on the up-and-up with mage tactics.

Interesting application of double-cast; kill the enemy and necro the dead on turn one. :) Nice!

bucazaurus
09-22-2009, 03:41 AM
http://img132.imageshack.us/i/dwarfcastle.jpg/

Warrior on impossible.
Dwarf king's son castle

Tactic used : Invisibility lvl 1 on Ancient Vampire and Cloud of poison on enemy.
Combat ended in turn 31 with no losses.

Sometimes you get lucky with enemy's army composition,like in this case.

loreangelicus
09-22-2009, 04:25 AM
On my initial flawed run-through I only saw Invisibility at Ellinia, so no luck there.

And while I could do a short trip to Demonis to pick up Lightning/Fire Rain/Ice Snake/Armaggedon I'm not a double-casting mage.

So it looks like the old tedious route for me, Inquisitors-Chargers-Resurrect, for my second run-through. I have Necro Call/Book of Evil/Phoenix as available decoys, but I'll try and see if I could do without these as the only summon spell worth its crystals is Phantom IMHO since it automatically scales with your leadership.

Nice screenshot of the enemy composition, but for me those bunch of Demonesses would cause fits for my Invisibility-less army. :)

Razorflame
09-23-2009, 11:03 PM
anyone got a good idea to kill demons without magic shackles?

loreangelicus
09-25-2009, 12:44 PM
true in that hero battles are a killer for the last hero usage

last hero is only suitable vs heavy melee enemy stacks (which there should be enough in freedom)

try to lure them to a narrow gap
so u can fully use the potentional of last hero

and yes it requires one creature stack or 2-3 something that can be RESSURRECTED by inqi's

let all enemies pile upon that stack and wait until there are few units left and use resu on it ;-)

but then again it's easier to do with gif/ resu

last hero is hard to use ^^

Last Hero didn't exactly work out for me. Don't get me wrong, the spell works as per its description, but when I used it on a unit of Swordsmen when fighting zombie Noric's all-zombie team, the zombies all of a sudden left it alone and trudged slowly (but surely) towards my ranged attackers at the back line.

I wonder if it has better application in conjunction with Armageddon... I'll test this when I pluck that spell at Demonis.

Well, there's mass Demon Slayer, but what a waste of crystals that would be. :) It does have the advantage of having twice the duration of Magic Shackles.

Mass Magic Shackles is a better investment of crystals as that spell is applicable to other unit types; but even this spell has limited application/use for me.

BB Shockwave
09-25-2009, 12:57 PM

Slowing them does wonders. Sure they will run in first round, but after that (depending on your level of Slow) they will move 1 space only.

Also use no retaliation units, and attack them AFTER they have moved. Or, attack them with cloned units (phantom). The best option are units that can attack from one cell apart (demoness, Royal/etc Snakes, Robbers).

They might summon other demons, that's the only thing you have to worry about. The pentagram they conjure will make them tougher, but if they can't reach you... ;)

That said, Mass Magic Shackles does wonders against Bhaal (practically takes his demon units out of the equation, and one mass slow next round will make it sure they are far away while you deal with the dragons and beholders)

Also some Demon slaying artifact will be usefull against them.

Razorflame
09-25-2009, 05:24 PM
it depends on how u place the last hero at noric

if u have make a baatlefield with only 1-2 free slots to move to your units

(like in bridge fights)
i think when he goes up a ramp it should be possible to have only 1-2 open spaces where he can move through

now i u use last hero on it they will kill him(if it has a bigger field then your last hero won't work that properly since the cpu counts on how many shots it can kill someone)

and for killing

demons

i found two strats that could work

one is use necromancers and evil beholders(rest of the unit's don't matter although shamans could be a nice addition for their totems)

during first round use phantom on your necro's and let them cast the ability to let unit's not let their special abilities be used for 2 turns) and then use your units too kill them ASAP(or wait for a low stacked imp of scoffed imp for magic spring and chargers to get mana for resu)

use anga's ruby with dryads (phantom again and use lollaby) and the rest of your army kills the rest ;-)

Arilian
09-29-2009, 10:44 AM
"1) get paladin for resurrect and heal OR take warrior/mage and make sure the death paladin sells resurrect"

Is this even possible?

I have created like 100 games but never got resurrection with mage
Paladins have access for the extra scroll only it seems. (too bad they already have resurrect)

BB Shockwave
09-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah, it's very unlikely you get Resurrect in Darion. My first game, I didn't get it until the Elven islands. In my second, I got it on the Islands of Freedom (the eldest Cook brother sold it).

Generally though, I think you have a chance to get either sacrifice or Resurrect on the Freedom islands. In my first game, pretty much every second Pirate there was selling Sacrifice.

Razorflame
09-29-2009, 11:30 AM
there are a numbers of ways t get resu

in my present game i had it in death valley o.o
in darion the death paladin can sell it
in the swamp area where u must get the book(dig somewhere there ussualy is a resu scroll there)

Arilian
09-29-2009, 03:31 PM
The furius paladin can indeed sell it to you, but i think only if you are a paladin too. I have seen it. But if you are a paladin you get also +1 good item from him so probably this is the same with resurrect.

Well at least it is possible to get Gift from the Chest Q mage tower...
It is almost as good with Inqisitors just more mana.

BB Shockwave
09-30-2009, 10:02 AM
The furius paladin can indeed sell it to you, but i think only if you are a paladin too. I have seen it. But if you are a paladin you get also +1 good item from him so probably this is the same with resurrect.

Well at least it is possible to get Gift from the Chest Q mage tower...
It is almost as good with Inqisitors just more mana.

Could you elaborate on that? What chest and what mage tower?

newfan
10-01-2009, 07:22 PM
http://img132.imageshack.us/i/dwarfcastle.jpg/

Warrior on impossible.
Dwarf king's son castle

Tactic used : Invisibility lvl 1 on Ancient Vampire and Cloud of poison on enemy.
Combat ended in turn 31 with no losses.

Sometimes you get lucky with enemy's army composition,like in this case.

Wow, someone with the same idea! But do you mean Poisonous Cloud (the spell)? and how did you manage no casualties with that low numbers of bats, plus lost of mana from invisibility and poison spell? I was thinking of using ancient bats (for dark commander) too but isn't initiative a problem for this battle?:confused:

I've never beaten the game before-kept re-running to demonis and thinking of better tactics-but I find demoness are better for this tactic. I was just able to beat Dwarf King's son at lvl 10. This was only my 2nd battle and Spirits are quite weak but was able to do so:grin:. How are you doing later in the game? I've never been beyond this point and am worried there are few units to charm later in the game (i.e. dragons).

Regarding the resurrection spell, I've never found any resurrection spell in a chest - I've found them as scrolls laying around but only twice throughout maybe 5 play-throughs to Demonis (barbarian island on Freedom island as Mage and the other in the cemetery as Warrior). I noticed, if you are a Mage, in the tomb where you find the chronicle scrolls quest there a buried chest that gives strong spells. Maybe you can find resurrection in it:!:. Though I think the spell is overrated for not casualties on impossible.

bucazaurus
10-02-2009, 02:30 AM
Cloud of poison from Sleem .Ancient Vampire bat form has high enough initiative to go first in combat .With wife Rina has +1 bonus .Invisibility lvl 1 cost 10 mana and stays 2 rounds.
So you cast Invisibility then use Cloud of poison and go Defend mode in first round. In second round you Wait. At the end of second round you Attack.
Then repeat.By the time you run out of mana and rage there wont be any more troops left. Just try to get Cloud of poison as high as you can before attacking the castle.

Arilian
10-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Could you elaborate on that? What chest and what mage tower?

It is the mage tower where you get the Spirit of Rage Chest.

It sells Gift/Pheonix/Teleport/Peacefullness/Some other rare spells (one of them) at te beginning. (but no resurrect)

Razorflame
10-02-2009, 11:18 AM
i hardly gotten ANY good spells there...

BB Shockwave
10-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah, it is random I think. It sold Fit of Energy for me there.

Razorflame
10-02-2009, 02:56 PM
i mostly get trap or flame arrow there
but then again u can get these almost anywhere;-)

newfan
10-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Cloud of poison from Sleem .Ancient Vampire bat form has high enough initiative to go first in combat .With wife Rina has +1 bonus .Invisibility lvl 1 cost 10 mana and stays 2 rounds.
So you cast Invisibility then use Cloud of poison and go Defend mode in first round. In second round you Wait. At the end of second round you Attack.
Then repeat.By the time you run out of mana and rage there wont be any more troops left. Just try to get Cloud of poison as high as you can before attacking the castle.

Cloud of poison is a great idea since the enemies don't move around much. I noticed that I am depending heavily on rage to win battles against stacks twice the leadership of my demoness charm ability. I wonder how you manage to keep your rage so high without being attack. I'm thinking to switching to dryad stack for thorns (take damage and build up rage) + dryads have no retaliation but they are more of a defensive than offensive unit. Another dilemma that i need to solve are enemy thorn units who can detect invisible (very large stacks on elven islands).

I am very much in need of demon weapon Demetrius. I ran to all the shops available in demon world and elf and no luck... Does anyone know where I can find the weapon?

Razorflame
10-02-2009, 06:29 PM
items are random so as the units u get each time u start a new game;)

loreangelicus
10-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I am very much in need of demon weapon Demetrius. I ran to all the shops available in demon world and elf and no luck... Does anyone know where I can find the weapon?

Items are random, but I guess you already know that. I got mine at Islands of Freedom, sold by a minor pirate shop, but you've swept that area already.

newfan
10-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. Apparently the demon guy from Isshara's (spelling) quest sells the item after the mission... (and gives you her whip too!) He had the Demetrius weapon for sell - a little too late now that I've switch to dryads...

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but does anyone understand the nature of pain mirror spell? I've been utilizing it to take down high stack or lvl 5 (high defense) using my summon thorns. From my experience, it doesn't seem to return damage based on the original dealt but returns damage in terms of hp lost and even includes enemies' armor.

My situation (final round of tournament) - stack of 11 dragons (red, blacks are immune to pain mirror) did 10k damage on stack of 700 thorn warriors (8 hp). Pain mirror returns only ~6k in damage, still quite good since that killed around 8 dragons for 10mana, but 700 thorns at 8 hp that's 5600 damage + 180% should be 10k... so why only 6k? Anyways, just a suggestion.

bucazaurus
10-08-2009, 04:08 PM
If the hit was critical damage the game will ignore the extra damage and only return the base damage instead. Also the extra damage made to glot armor will be ignored.
In your case since the dragons have fire damag and thorns are vulnerable to fire , the game ignored thorn's penalty to fire and returned the base damage.
10k halved is 5k and since the pain mirror returns more then 100% you end up with 6k