PDA

View Full Version : Why can't you fully unlock stuff through single-player?

Axe99
09-12-2009, 11:22 PM
G'day guys,

While I'm an online gamer, and have already played some games online and plan to play plenty more, it's disappointing to see that to unlock a lot of the stuff and better planes you _have_ to play online. Given half of the XBox crowd hasn't paid up for online play, and around a third of the PS3 crowd aren't online, it's a decision that could leave a bad taste in their mouth.

QBlackDeathQ
09-12-2009, 11:29 PM
G'day guys,

While I'm an online gamer, and have already played some games online and plan to play plenty more, it's disappointing to see that to unlock a lot of the stuff and better planes you _have_ to play online. Given half of the XBox crowd hasn't paid up for online play, and around a third of the PS3 crowd aren't online, it's a decision that could leave a bad taste in their mouth.

Axe99 the game is a multiplayer game too not just a singleplayer game. they want people to go online hence they have unlocks that can only be had by playing online. seems to me that your part of that 1/3 of that ps3 crowd that does not want to play online, you were talking about. if you do play online and plan on playing plenty more games why this post?

Axe99
09-12-2009, 11:35 PM
lol Black Death - I'm very much an online gamer, I run a clan on the PS3 (www.sptroopers.com) as well as helped set up and run a new and shiny casual clan forum (http://clanz.ipbfree.com/index.php), and have been playing online since the SOCOM beta trials and Hardware Online Arena, way back when (indeed, played online with the PC before that, but gaming on the PC feels too much like working ;)). Played a online on SOCOM (1,2 and Confrontation), KZ2, Civilization 3,4 and Revolution, Hearts of Iron I and II, whichever Quake had online in it (2 I think), Wipeout HD, HAWX, Blazing Angels 1 and 2, Burnout Paradise, and so on...... Don't believe me, you can see my trophy list Black Death, and while it won't cover all of those games, it'll give you enough of an idea ;).

So that's not why I'm posting at all. But there's no reason why there can't be alternate unlocks for the things in the single-player side of things - there's enough single player missions that you could sort it that way as well - that way both the multi-player and single-player crowd get to have their fun. As it is, half the Xbox and a third of the PS3 crowd are locked out, for no good reason.

I guess I don't like stuff that prevents people enjoying things, and there's no real reason why the offline players can't enjoy the full spectrum of planes and loadouts, other than because of a narrow design decision.

Anyways Black Death, got a SOCOM session in half an hour, but will be online with IL-2 in a couple of hours, and if you want a game will be up for it then :).

QBlackDeathQ
09-12-2009, 11:43 PM
;)me and you one on one simulation today at 9pm east cost in the school yard.:evil:

edal86
09-13-2009, 12:28 AM
;)me and you one on one simulation today at 9pm east cost in the school yard.:evil:

wuuu, you make me tremble. lol. Beware of BLACKDEATH he is almost as good as me but can only fly the spitfire. just kidding man nice to see you around here. A bastard salutes another lol.

QBlackDeathQ
09-13-2009, 12:31 AM
wuuu, you make me tremble. lol. Beware of BLACKDEATH he is almost as good as me but can only fly the spitfire. just kidding man nice to see you around here. A bastard salutes another lol.

I salutes, still looking for my dad:confused: we have a f-ed up Wing you know that. Bastards got to love it. i need to make a site you know how?

Yossarian
09-13-2009, 12:37 AM
But you can't really use any of the unlocked stuff except in multiplayer anyway. Sure you can play a training mission with them, but that is nothing compared to an online game. It's not as if you can really do much in training mode, but the unlocks are VERY useful in MP.

I know it means you can't fly a few aircraft but other than quickly trying it out in training mode they serve no real purpose except online.

QBlackDeathQ
09-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Well said guy. and u! are you comming at 9pm. lol gerrr:rolleyes:

QBlackDeathQ
09-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Iza waitingz forz youz

Axe99
09-13-2009, 01:59 AM
You are, Iz izz posting (in Australia, so no idea what 9pm East Coast time is - hopefully not far away!) and then jumping on :)

But in terms of the unlocks, a lot of people like flying the different planes, particularly on sim where you can really tell the difference, and training mode can be a lot of fun - half the missions are dogfights to a degree, and most of the online is dogfighting or bombing, all of which you can do in training as well ;). I could just see me being a bit miffed if I wasn't online, and could imagine there will be people out there who are (who we won't see around here - and there are a _lot_ of gamers, the vast majority, who don't visit forums).

QBlackDeathQ
09-13-2009, 02:14 AM
OK bro i will wait for ya get the router up and running lol

GabeFan
09-13-2009, 03:50 AM
I know it means you can't fly a few aircraft but other than quickly trying it out in training mode they serve no real purpose except online.

I LOVE playing in training mode, so to me there would be a purpose. I'm not much of a multiplayer guy, so it would be nice to have ALL the planes unlockable in single player mode.

QBlackDeathQ
09-13-2009, 04:11 AM
I LOVE playing in training mode, so to me there would be a purpose. I'm not much of a multiplayer guy, so it would be nice to have ALL the planes unlockable in single player mode.

u boob lol

Axe99
09-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Hey, horses for courses - I actually don't mind a little training m'self, means you can fly against whatever you like, whenever you like - unless you don't want to pay for XBL Gold, or aren't on the PSN, in which case you can only fly against about 2/3rds of the planes available :p.

nudger1964
09-13-2009, 10:36 AM
speaking as a mediocre gamer at best, i have never understood why developers allow ugrades in multiplayer. You already have people who have got good at the game, then you give them even more advantage by giving them better gear. Dosnt make sense to me. I'm convinced its counter productive if you want more people to be using muliplayer long term. so many noobs just get frustrated and load another game instead as you just dont get a chance to learn the game better and get decent....so you end up with just the usual hardcore.
A single player training mode that actually helps people learn to fly better would be good....and i agree with O.P that all upgrades should be available in that.

juz1
09-13-2009, 03:29 PM
PLUS the time element...an option to buy the unlocks instead of playing umpteen online games with planes and modes you don't really like sucks when you've got limited playtime (e.g. wife / kids/ career/ dogs/ mistress(es)/ too busy serial-killing hookers etc etc)
________
MARIJUANA NEWS (http://potwire.com)

Axe99
09-13-2009, 10:57 PM
speaking as a mediocre gamer at best, i have never understood why developers allow ugrades in multiplayer. You already have people who have got good at the game, then you give them even more advantage by giving them better gear. Dosnt make sense to me. I'm convinced its counter productive if you want more people to be using muliplayer long term. so many noobs just get frustrated and load another game instead as you just dont get a chance to learn the game better and get decent....so you end up with just the usual hardcore.

I agree with this entirely - I get online with the option of a Hurri II, BF-109 E or I-16, and I'm playing against Spitfire IXs, I-153's and whatnot else. At least a little note telling people to play through the campaign first so they don't get 'orribly pwned when they jump online ;). I think KZ2 did it well - you had classes and unlocks, but you can still have a great game and be competitive running around as the default.

Lexandro
09-13-2009, 11:04 PM
I agree with this entirely - I get online with the option of a Hurri II, BF-109 E or I-16, and I'm playing against Spitfire IXs, I-153's and whatnot else. At least a little note telling people to play through the campaign first so they don't get 'orribly pwned when they jump online ;). I think KZ2 did it well - you had classes and unlocks, but you can still have a great game and be competitive running around as the default.

Why anyone would go to play online before playing the campaign is beyond me. How do you expect to be able to play the game against humans if you havent even bothered to play vs the AI? The MkIX and the other planes unlocked from playing campaign are easy enough to obtain. Its common sense that planes are unlocked via the campaign, theres no need for a note.

And the Hurricane is one of the best handling planes in the game and easily capable to taking out any other aircraft.

Kamak86
09-14-2009, 12:07 AM
This thread is more or less just someting to complain about :roll:

stryker333
09-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Sup there Axe99, its Stryker.

Axe99
09-14-2009, 01:42 AM
This thread is more or less just someting to complain about :roll:

Far from it Kamak - it's more just to let Anton know that not everyone on consoles (far less than PC) are networked up, particularly given the PC-heritage of the devs. It's just a heads-up, and not a complaint for me as I love online and will be back there after this post ;).

And Lexandro, it's common practice for people to go online with games with an online component before completing the single campaign - we're long past the day of online being a tacked-on component to SP that people fool around with for a bit after finishing the main 'story' mode.

And not sure what mode you're flying the Hurri in, but it is _not_ one of the best planes in the game, just like in the actual World War! It's a combination fighter-bomber and was marginally outclassed by the early 109's in the Battle of Britain, let alone the late-model Spitfires and 109s. I love the Hurri to death, but as a 'battler' - as an air superiority fighter it's outclassed by many of the planes in the game ;).

And hey Stryker, look forward to seeing you online soon :).

tbtstt
09-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Bit late on this thread, but I'm in complete agreement, I actually started a thread requesting all the aircraft be unlocked for training (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=9612) mode last week.

It wouldn't change anything for those who game online (and the Trophy can be left for online unlocks if desired), but for those of us who prefer to play the game offline using the traning mode it means we can access everything.