PDA

View Full Version : Can the jet's be competitive?

mattd27
09-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I just unlocked a couple of the jets (The ME 163B and the ME-262-la) and they're kind off cool to fly-briefly. But I'm wondering if the jets can keep up competitively with the other planes in multiplayer.

Now we all know that they probably have the worst turn rate in the game, but does the amount of speed compensate for this?

Even if using general "boom and zoom" tactics, does the turn rate of the jets still weigh it down to much to consistently triumph over other planes?

Anyone got thoughts?

Spitfire23
09-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I just unlocked a couple of the jets (The ME 163B and the ME-262-la) and they're kind off cool to fly-briefly. But I'm wondering if the jets can keep up competitively with the other planes in multiplayer.

Now we all know that they probably have the worst turn rate in the game, but does the amount of speed compensate for this?

Even if using general "boom and zoom" tactics, does the turn rate of the jets still weigh it down to much to consistently triumph over other planes?

Anyone got thoughts?

If you mean online, yes they do. sure they can outrun any other except for in arcade mode but the turn rate is so bad that before you know it theyre on your six. it is impossible to compete against the likes of a prop plane in turning

towman
09-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Forget turning with the jets, Dive-shoot-climb, rinse and repeat, if you are a good gunner you can be competitive, if you suck at shooting fly the yak-3 :grin:.

mattd27
09-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Well I'm figuring on sticking to props, I was just interested to see if you can have the same level of success with a jet.

However, I might do an experiment just for a couple of days, seeing how well I can fare in one. Could make for some fun flying? :D

Yossarian
09-11-2009, 12:53 AM
We had a guy in tonight using the 163 in team battle, and he was pretty good. He knew how to use it, boom and zooming, he got quite a few kills.

In Strike mode if the enemy is using the Arado AR234 jet bomber, the 163 and 262 are the only things that can catch it. The 262 has a horrible turning radius though, but it has the best guns and speed of any aircraft in the game. Bombers don't stand a chance against either.

Spitfire23
09-11-2009, 01:25 AM
In Strike mode if the enemy is using the Arado AR234 jet bomber, the 163 and 262 are the only things that can catch it. The 262 has a horrible turning radius though, but it has the best guns and speed of any aircraft in the game. Bombers don't stand a chance against either.

Couldnt agree more

SerratedMobius
09-11-2009, 02:04 AM
We had a guy in tonight using the 163 in team battle, and he was pretty good. He knew how to use it, boom and zooming, he got quite a few kills.

Fun match wasnt it? :D

yes the Me 163 is a good plane. It's out turned by the majority of planes in the game, so go after someone not paying attention to you and you should be fine. It's insane climb rate helps to get away from enemies.

Raw Kryptonite
09-11-2009, 02:36 AM
FYI: ME 163 was rocket powered, not jet.

Funny thing is that it's designed to belly land, and if you hit the back button it says it's lowering landing gear.
And I still can't land it. LOL

Each plane is different, you play to it's strengths, not the other guy's--if you can figure out what they're in.

Yossarian
09-11-2009, 02:51 AM
Funny thing is that it's designed to belly land, and if you hit the back button it says it's lowering landing gear.
And I still can't land it. LOL

I've landed one in the game. When you press 'Back' to lower the under-carriage a central ski lowers and the tail wheel drops down. The only problem is when the aircraft comes to a stop it tips over onto one of the wings making taking off again a bit hit and miss, you can get back off the ground sometimes but normally about 90 degrees off the heading that you started on.

@ SerratedMobius, yes it was a good game.

reverend66
09-11-2009, 03:19 AM
The Komet being rocket propelled was it possible to control speed like in the game? I know they were defense aircraft against bombers in thier real life roll in WWII. It seems to me once you light the engines you are just along for the ride. Perhaps they had the capability at the time to control the amount of fuel injected into the rocket, but I doubt the amount of engine control in game was possible. Anybody know how this beautifull little suckers engine worked?

Desode
09-11-2009, 03:29 AM
The jets can when a fight but you have to take the fight to high altitude. Also remember to take the fight vertical. Use the clouds too if you got them.
DESODE

Soviet Ace
09-11-2009, 03:39 AM
Forget turning with the jets, Dive-shoot-climb, rinse and repeat, if you are a good gunner you can be competitive, if you suck at shooting fly the yak-3 :grin:.

YEEEAAHH!!! Great choice ;)

Well I'm figuring on sticking to props, I was just interested to see if you can have the same level of success with a jet.

However, I might do an experiment just for a couple of days, seeing how well I can fare in one. Could make for some fun flying? :D

Best thing to do with the Me 262, Me 163, and even that He 126, is attack bombers quick and fast. That's their main objective as I see it, turning with others, for me is absolutely forbidden. You want something that can hit the bombers in one strike to take them out. BUT I prefer the props myself. :D

reverend66
09-11-2009, 03:41 AM
http://www.vectorsite.net/Ya163_2m.jpg
Oh now I get it :mrgreen:
And I used to be an auto mechanic *hits self in head with shoe*

Raw Kryptonite
09-11-2009, 03:46 AM
The Komet being rocket propelled was it possible to control speed like in the game? I know they were defense aircraft against bombers in thier real life roll in WWII. It seems to me once you light the engines you are just along for the ride. Perhaps they had the capability at the time to control the amount of fuel injected into the rocket, but I doubt the amount of engine control in game was possible. Anybody know how this beautifull little suckers engine worked?

Check this out, from Dogfights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfEErfeZcLw

reverend66
09-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Very cool, thanks man I'll rent the whole episode. Kinda makes you wonder if any of those Nazi scientists survived to design more aircraft...
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa5/KBVP/CoorsLightBD5Jinformation800.jpg
Damn you Coors & your Nazi loving ways!!!!! (I'm a Lonestar fan myself:mrgreen:)

BadByte
09-11-2009, 05:29 AM
Im sure they did, the scientists where in high demand,US had the operation paperclip to get them working for the US, would be strange if the Russians didnt have a similar operation going on at the end of the war.

Raw Kryptonite
09-11-2009, 06:00 AM
Very cool, thanks man I'll rent the whole episode. Kinda makes you wonder if any of those Nazi scientists survived to design more aircraft...
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa5/KBVP/CoorsLightBD5Jinformation800.jpg
Damn you Coors & your Nazi loving ways!!!!! (I'm a Lonestar fan myself:mrgreen:)

Now THAT is interesting. LOL
I like a little Shiner Bock sometimes, but I prefer Abita Amber from LA. :grin:

Wissam24
09-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Well they only had about 5 minutes powered flight time, so that was the window they had to take down bombers. Whilst they could climb like no other plane, on the descent, they had precious few seconds to aim because they were going to fast....they were kinda useless in the war.

Arnow
09-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Well about those jets in dogfight/team battle.

I tried Me163 and Me262, not He162 yet cuz i didn't unlock it yet.

Me163 is really more competitive in dogfight than Me262. While the former is able to take turns at (very) relatively acceptable rate, the latter is unable to do such a turn in less than 30 seconds at least.

So my opinion is that, while, of course, not the most adequate plane for dogfight, the Me163 can be quite a good deal of fun when mastered. I could shoot down 2 or 3 prop planes when I used it last time.

I tried dogfight with the Me262 yesterday. I was unable to follow a single plane (essentially because i didn't have enough distance to do so, i was staying in the heart of the dogfight) and crashed/was shot down 11 times ^^...No score for me!

mondo
09-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Don't turn then? The Me262 flown to its strengths will dominate. Attack from above, dive, shoot and then zoom climb up. Never compromise your speed in that plane.

If you see a bunch of n00bs in there little turning battles then just line them all up, you can easily predict what they are going to do if there cutting the lawn underneath them as they turn. Unless they try a rolling reversal turning planes are easy to predict.

In WW2 planes, especially later models you shouldn't be turning anyway, props and jets ;)

beaker126
09-11-2009, 09:40 AM
For Reverend66- The two fuels it used were very caustic and dangerous. Pilots had to fly in a rubberized protective coverall in case of leaks. There was no igniter per se, both fuels were pumped into the combustion chamber and they would ignite when mixed. Now think about this, you had to land this thing with no wheels, just a sleigh runner on the belly. Guess what happens if a fuel line breaks? I think they could shut off the pump briefly, so that would be sort of like a throttle, but the didn't really carry much fuel anyway, mainly cuz of their size and also the danger.