PDA

View Full Version : Re: Office site

fld88
09-09-2009, 02:17 AM
That is a nice and informative web site. But I have one gripe. I don't know why game companies post video specs that say "or equivalent ATI". How am I supposed to know what the equivalent ATI card is to a GeForce 7950GT?

Nokturnal
09-09-2009, 02:27 AM
You have a point.
But i believe they do this because Nvidia and ATI cards aren't released in pairs. There isn't always an exact equivalent.
So instead they list the more common card and you can do a quick google search to see how they compare.

Nvidia cards
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/132

ATI cards
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/131

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to graphics cards and their functions, but after having a quick look at the above i think you'll need a Radeon X1800 XT or better. But as i said, google always has the answer. ;)

fld88
09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Your excuse doesn’t fly because many companies do release both specs. Take a look at the DragonAge.com for one. They give Intel and AMD processor specs and ATI and nVideo video specs for minimum and recommended. Yes we can find this out ourselves but this is their business and they should have the information readily available. Did they not have ATI beta testers? The same applies to the processor specs. 3 GHz what? A single core, dual core, quad core, an AMD an Intel?

I remember when it was the reverse, I had an nVidea card and some companies were giving their specs as per the dominant ATI cards. Just give them for both processors and both video cards—it business 101. And if and when another upstart processor or video card enters the fray—give it for it too.

Grrr..I guess I’ve had to look up one too many equivalent processor or video card over the years!

Nokturnal
09-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Okay wait a minute, you are comparing this game to Dragon Age?
Let's excuse the fact that Dragon Age has been advertised everywhere for longer than i care to remember, is being published by EA (who throws money around as if it's sand) and is also coming to consoles, meaning much, much more time has been spent in development.

The company behind Armored Princess is tiny in comparison. I don't actually think they have released anything besides the original King's Bounty.

They probably don't have a huge budget like other companies (such as those involved in Dragon Age) and therefore wouldn't of been able to test every card available on the market. Same goes with processor.

But anyway like you said, you have had to search for this many times over the years. I have to wonder why you bother complaining this time :P But oh well, goodluck.

fld88
09-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Armored Princess is a 1C Company site and it is far their first game. Good grief no wonder you’re making such excuses if you think they would have to test every card. They don’t have to do that. They would simply have to poll their beta testers. Even if they only had the nVidea and Intel specs they wouldn’t have to test every ATI card—that is a ridiculous notion.

If I was buying today I would buy Intel for sure and probably nVidea after some research, but for now I have an aging AMD/ATI box. I ran KB fine but Armored Princess has a vague spec recommendation of a 3 GHz processor and some nVidea card I don’t know about so does this mean I can forgot trying to run it with my 2.41 GHz AMD.

Nokturnal
09-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Check the site again mate, the developers are Katauri Interactive, their only other game, King's Bounty. 1C are only the publishers.
I suggest in the future you actually check things before claiming them.

Also, even if we were to assume 1C was the only company behind this, you are still comparing them to the likes of EA and Bioware?..Which still doesn't make sense.

I never said they would have to test every card, i was just exaggerating when i said they wouldn't be able to test them all because i am making a point that the company is small and they would of simply picked a generic set of requirements (which they did) knowing full well that people out there are capable of searching themselves, as you've said you can do.

You still overlooked the fact that there would be 10-20x as much money/time spent on Dragon Age, so it's clear that you are just here to complain for the sake of complaining.
I'm not going to continue this, you can google the answer you need, so do it.

fld88
09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
So you only want to include the publisher when it is convenient for you LOL. You cannot claim EA is behind Dragonage but try to say 1C is not behind Armored Princess. Both sites are branded by the publishers. Bioware is bigger than Katauri but they are minuscule compared to EA. But all that is moot, I don't care what size of company Katauri or IC is, there is no excuse for such vague specs. Video specs are irrelevant to my business but I develop software systems alone and I do not give specs that vague.

Mandea
09-11-2009, 06:00 AM
come on, I have a 8600GT with a E8400 and the first game ran smoothly in 1600*1200 with AA and AF. there is nothing to worry, even a 4670series from ATI (not to mention 3850 3870 etc) will be just fine.
This isn't Crysis :)

Nike-it
09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
come on, I have a 8600GT with a E8400 and the first game ran smoothly in 1600*1200 with AA and AF. there is nothing to worry, even a 4670series from ATI (not to mention 3850 3870 etc) will be just fine.
This isn't Crysis :)

Armored Princess is better optimised then The Legend. For example on my laptop with ATI HD2600 I was able to play The Legend only on average settings, but AP runs ok on Max.

fld88
09-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Armored Princess is better optimised then The Legand. For example on my laptop with ATI HD2600 I was able to play The Legend only on average settings, but AP runs ok on Max.

I ran KB on MAX with only a few hiccups so that is good to know. But what is the poster in the Mods for Armored Princess forum talking about when asking about mods for speeding up the slower combat in AP?

It would also mean that the recommened spec of a 3 GHz processor is not actually necessary.