PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Saitek Aviator support?

tasmanian guy
09-07-2009, 10:44 AM
After reading various threads, I've delayed my purchase of this game.

To me it sounds half finished with some obvious faults (stalling sound being one), some cockpits left out of the game, etc.

Having said that can anyone tell me if the Aviator joystick for the Xbox 360 is fully supported in this game?

House MD 221B
09-07-2009, 10:58 AM
yes it is, and you're missing out by not buying it, its fantastic, sod the cockpits they'll come as DLC, dont get wrapped up in all the negativity that some of these muppets are spreading, yes its got its flaws, but seriously, you can live without a stall sound.

your loss.

tasmanian guy
09-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Just saying I've delayed my purchase.

So the Saitek Aviator supports the twist function for rudder control, the hat switch is used for point of view viewing, throttle is supported, is it true there are no brakes with the stick support?

loopdreams
09-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I love the game but am teetering on the brink of ditching the Saitek and going back to the pad. Both have their drawbacks but the stick really does suffer very badly from poor control around the centre.

House MD 221B
09-07-2009, 11:04 AM
then you must have dodgy settings cus mine works just fine,

yes the wheel breaks dont work cus they werent mapped by the game properly, BUT they are going to fix that apparently.

its very playable with stick and game-pad, i dont know WHY people find the contoller so hard, i use it if i need to land on any missions or play capture the airfields, but otherwise i use the stick for a more authentic feel, twist grip rudder works perfectly, PLEASE ignore all the nay-sayers, its not as big a deal as people make out. and it will get fixed.

loopdreams
09-07-2009, 11:16 AM
I've tried lots of settings and none of them seem to alter the fact that it bounces around all over the place near the centre and this isn't the only problem. So my advice would be to not waste the money on the flightstick as it does precious little to enhance the experience.

FFS some people have resorted to physically taking the thing apart to get the buttons into places that they are in some way usable. Playing the game with the Saitek I had to wonder whether much testing, if any at all, went into the control scheme for this stick. It doesn't seem laid out to offer any kind of 'best compromise' but rather the functions have just ended up on whatever buttons they were on for another flightstick.

juz1
09-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I was really late getting an xbox...my mates bought it for me just before I emigrated a year ago...I was soooo used to a Goldeneye controller setup I really struggled with cod4...

but I managed...

people that can't transfer their brains to different pad layouts are y-chromosome cleches (sp?), probably type "a" personality control freaks that MUST assert their uber-dominance and probably use terms like "owned"....the gender linked autistic tendencies completely preclude them from learning another pad layout...
or, like , whatever and some sh!t like that...isn't it though, like I just offended like half the forum members and this and that....word..;)

the saitek works well...true no brakes on landing but a joy to fly with...also the thumbstick on the stick for looking is lovely..
________
Honda nu50 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_NU50)

King Jareth
09-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I love my saitek, the rudder takes some getting used to (and the no brakes things a pain if I'm honest) but for the time in the air I really like it and the freelook on the hat switch is almost worth the price alone.

loopdreams
09-07-2009, 11:30 AM
I was really late getting an xbox...my mates bought it for me just before I emigrated a year ago...I was soooo used to a Goldeneye controller setup I really struggled with cod4...

but I managed...

people that can't transfer their brains to different pad layouts are y-chromosome cleches (sp?), probably type "a" personality control freaks that MUST assert their uber-dominance and probably use terms like "owned"....the gender linked autistic tendencies completely preclude them from learning another pad layout...
or, like , whatever and some sh!t like that...isn't it though, like I just offended like half the forum members and this and that....word..;)

the saitek works well...true no brakes on landing but a joy to fly with...also the thumbstick on the stick for looking is lovely..

Yes, I'm sure that's entirely it. The game was purposely designed to exclude certain personality types rather than hastily chucked out the door to meet a release date. So much so that the it's pretty ******* evident, at least to anyone not blinded by an almost psychotic tendency to shout at anyone who offers even a word of criticism, that the only flightstick still available has not been properly playtested with it, if it was playtested at all.

juz1
09-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Yes, I'm sure that's entirely it. The game was purposely designed to exclude certain personality types rather than hastily chucked out the door to meet a release date. So much so that the it's pretty ******* evident, at least to anyone not blinded by an almost psychotic tendency to shout at anyone who offers even a word of criticism,

Like, you just referred to me as psychotic and stuff, and that's like so racist against , like , people and stuff...I could sue cos I'm like really hurting inside...

Seriously though Mr Dreams(, or can I call you Loop) you might have noticed a ;) as I was taking the mick a bit... but Jeez if you get that offfended I take it all back....

ps I bet you don't use the term "owned"...:grin:
________
Free magento themes (http://themesfree.org)

loopdreams
09-07-2009, 11:45 AM
To be fair, I only implied that you were borderline psychotic. I'm sure there's some pretty good pills you can get for that.

juz1
09-07-2009, 11:48 AM
To be fair, I only implied that you were borderline psychotic. I'm sure there's some pretty good pills you can get for that.

classic! I've got hot chocolate dribbling out my nose now!:grin::cool:
________
Ferrari dino engine (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_Dino_engine)

DoubleTap68
09-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Where are the adjustments for the Saitek? On the stick itself, or are they in-game? Also, on a completely different subject, that -109F is alot of fun to fly. Sorry, I gush, but what a game!

King Jareth
09-08-2009, 01:42 PM
A thread resurrection for a few questions.

What headset are people using with this (for xbl chat)? I've got the old 360 headset and it wont fit, been using the Halo2 special edition headset from my origional xbox instead.
And..
Had anyone tried seperating the throttle leavers? I did and only the right one seemed to do anything but that could be my total lack of observational powers.

GCoutinho
09-08-2009, 03:29 PM
A thread resurrection for a few questions.

What headset are people using with this (for xbl chat)? I've got the old 360 headset and it wont fit, been using the Halo2 special edition headset from my origional xbox instead.
And..
Had anyone tried seperating the throttle leavers? I did and only the right one seemed to do anything but that could be my total lack of observational powers.

The Saitek aviator for PC/XBOX ( and the version for PC/PS3) only has 1 throttle and not 2 like the original PC version of the joystick.

So I assume that you can't actually separate the throttle leavers.
I double checked on the Saitek online support site.

Also no SST programing on the PC, it uses the default XBOX 360 controller drivers :( . Will test drive mine tonight with IL2, keeping my fingers crossed for a smooth transition from PC IL2 to XBOX .

House MD 221B
09-08-2009, 03:38 PM

Random, Standard, and what not, I dont think he's seen the armstrong and Miller show or something... like, not ever. shizzle!

King Jareth
09-08-2009, 03:52 PM
The Saitek aviator for PC/XBOX ( and the version for PC/PS3) only has 1 throttle and not 2 like the original PC version of the joystick.

So I assume that you can't actually separate the throttle leavers.
I double checked on the Saitek online support site.

There's a piece of plastic joining the 2 throttle levers together and you can get it out (and back in) easy enough, whether the left side lever actually does anything at all is another matter.

GCoutinho
09-09-2009, 09:52 AM
1st impressions on using the Aviator with Il2 BoP :

- Throttle vs the base button placement fell a bit awkward to me, a lot of moving between the front and the back of the joystick. I'm using it on my lap, and moving the left hand to press a button while moving the controls usually ends up moving the whole joystick (my old MS Sidewinder FF back in IL2 PC days felt a lot more comfortable).

- Landing without breaks is not impossible (at least in realistic have to try Sim), as soon as both wheels are firmly on the ground I use left rudder - right rudder like a drunken driver to try and reduce my speed and usually stop before the end of the runway.

On a side note has anyone created a quick-guide with the functions for each button in the aviator ( a bit like the Thrustmater Hotas Il2 config picture)?

King Jareth
09-09-2009, 10:51 AM
There was a thread with the button configureation listed back on page 11! (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=9183)
hope that helps.

juz1
09-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Random, Standard, and what not, I dont think he's seen the armstrong and Miller show or something... like, not ever. shizzle!

for sho, Bro.....

isn't it...
________
Mazda 737C Specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_737C)