PDA

View Full Version : Black Hori Ex Flight Stick dimensions?

SuperSolution
09-06-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm building a platform to mount the Hori controls to an old office chair. Can anyone in possession of the Hori Flight Stick provide the measurements of the throttle and flight stick bases. From pictures they look to be the same size and roughly square. I believe these sticks are identical to the Hori Ace Edge.

Plippy
09-06-2009, 11:01 PM
6 and 14/16th of an inch square for each. Could probably round up to 7". I have mine tied down with zip ties, but it's clunky. There might be a clever way to stick these to a board using the keyed holes on the underside for the suction cups.

Let us know when you work this out, I'd like to see what you come up with.

Steiner
09-07-2009, 02:00 PM
I found that industrial strength Velcro works best for putting the sticks on a platform. Once on they don't come off easily, but to get them off easily just slide a butter knife between the Velcro and lift.

SuperSolution
09-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Awesome, Plippy! I've order the sticks from a shop in Japan but I want to get started building the mount.

It's nothing fancy. I have an old office chair like this:

http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/item.aspx?itemID=2731

and I'm going to bolt to the underside of the seat cushion a cut to shape acrylic sheet like this:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/variant.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=21314&product%5Fid=21212&variant%5Fid=86205

So there'll be plastic between your legs for the stick and a platform protruding along the left for the throttle.

thanks for the help.

SuperSolution
09-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Would you say the suction cups are completely ineffective? I'm not much of a gorilla but I'm assuming any guests will be holding on with a death grip.

I wish there were effective Quarter Turn fasteners you could replace the suction cups with but I can't find any. I think industrial velcro is the way to go as Steiner said. That stuff's strong, especially over 7 square inches.

Plippy
09-07-2009, 11:42 PM
I ended up going the velcro route onto some sort of synthetic cutting board (the wife loves this) and it works pretty well. I just did 2 strips of velcro across the bottom and top. Since I didn't put it over the slightly raised corner pads, there's a little bit of wobble, but I think that a couple of rubber bumpers placed under the corners will take care of this. Works pretty well, and I can flip it over to chop up some veggies if so inclined. :grin: