PDA

View Full Version : I-16 tactics against ME-109?

Plippy
09-04-2009, 02:00 PM
I pretty much blazed through the first BoB campaign in Sim mode but I have absolutely had my ass handed to me, relatively speaking, in the first mission over Stalingrad.

I've played this mission a dozen times at least and, ironically, the only time I downed enough fighters to get the next mission objective is after I killed my engine. Since then, I had a couple of good runs with 3-4 kills before the mission ends with an out of time message or a out of tries message. This last message is weird because my plane was still flying perfectly fine when I got this message. While it sucks that the mission is ending for no particular reason that I can see, my only conclusion is that I suck at flying the I-16.

So what are you guys doing in Sim mode to take out those 109s? I seem to have a little more success at low altitude where the 109s have less room to dive and get away. When I see them turning, I try to cut them off and maintain altitude, even when they climb. This gets me on their 6 from time to time, but I can't get enough lead in them before they're specs on the horizon.

On a side note, I love flying the I-16 and it's hilarious to see 4 ME 109s with smoke trailing as half a dozen Russian clunkers doggedly follow after them. This game is too fun.

Yossarian
09-04-2009, 02:58 PM
From experience playing IL2 on the PC, if you are in a I16 and see a swarm of 109's heading your way the best tactic is to bail out before you get shot down :-P

Plippy
09-04-2009, 03:11 PM
The crazy thing about this particular mission is that I never got shot down in probably an hour and a half of trying. It's like all the Russian planes are a school of fish and the ME 109s can't decide which to munch on.

vincent1989
09-04-2009, 03:11 PM
i'm in the same predicament, the worst part to me is not being able to see through the lower portion of the 'windscreen'. loved the hurricane, hate the I 16.

Soviet Ace
09-04-2009, 03:28 PM
If you guys want some serious 109 kills, keep the I-16 at low altitudes. Try to get the 109s into a turning fight, then if that works, you should have no problem either breaking away from them, or turning into them, and getting a kill. I've done it, and it seems to work. Hard part is, getting them to turn with you, but the second they go to climb away, get them in your sights. Their speed from turning around and around will have dropped, and they'll start on a slow climb, that's another chance at filling them full of MG and Cannon rounds :D

Good hunting.

M3-SRT8
09-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Yup.

Hug the Deck, and try to get into a classic turning dogfight.

Pray the BF-109 doesn't zoom away from you and do a Hit and Run.

Long odds, I'd say.

LJB:cool:

Plippy
09-04-2009, 04:19 PM
I wonder if there's some trigger point that is not occurring, since I feel like downing 4 ME 109s in 30 minutes is not all that terrible. Maybe there's something with my squadron's orders that I'm neglecting… but those 109s keep coming.

I'll give these tactics a try this evening and we'll see how I fare.

mattd27
09-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah, this seems to be a harder one for me too. Not to mention that I absolutely hate that cockpit on the I-16.

I was trying the mission for a while this morning but I wasn't getting anywhere and I had other things to do anyway. I'll give it another go with these tips later tonight and see how I fare.

Pyquila
09-04-2009, 04:32 PM
No advice since i haven't got the game yet.

It's like all the Russian planes are a school of fish and the ME 109s can't decide which to munch on.

But this is one of the best analogies i've seen in some time =) Good luck in getting that mission nailed!

Raw Kryptonite
09-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't like that plane either! LOL
However, after that you're rewarded with a very nice mission to make up for it.

Soviet Ace
09-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Yup.

Hug the Deck, and try to get into a classic turning dogfight.

Pray the BF-109 doesn't zoom away from you and do a Hit and Run.

Long odds, I'd say.

LJB:cool:

Isn't it "LBJ" (:P) Anyway, you really just want to keep it below and around 5,000 ft. Because then if a 109 does try to do a hit and run attack, he better make sure he's going into a shallow dive, or he'll hit the deck! :cool: That actually happened when I was flying the I-16. The 109 came up behind me, fired a couple shots that missed, and he went screaming towards the ground, erupting in a mangled wreckage of metal and burning oil!!