PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer mode dont`s works

Juanish
09-03-2009, 05:30 PM
I have the game, but i cannot play Online.

Are the servers down?

Im from Spain, and Game store official release date is September 3th.

David603
09-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Maybe the servers don't go up until the Europe wide launch on the 4th, tomorrow.

House MD 221B
09-03-2009, 05:36 PM
One of our guys Blue Leader, said the server's arent up yet, and arent likely to be until tomorrow, apparantly its a russian server, so most of europe gets it tomorrow, probably when the server goes live.

Yossarian
09-03-2009, 05:40 PM
There are NO servers.

One player on the PS3/X360 acts as host and THEY are the server.

P-51
09-03-2009, 05:44 PM
There are NO servers.

One player on the PS3/X360 acts as host and THEY are the server.

There are servers.. You tried playing a flight game with lag?

FOZ_1983
09-03-2009, 05:56 PM
russian servers??? oh ****, not good lol. Everyone knows russian things are cheap and crap ;) they will no doubt break within 20 mins of going up haha

SirBruce
09-03-2009, 05:58 PM
I´m from Spain too, and I´ve been playing dogfight today on Xbox 360 version. No lag. No problems.

Moog
09-03-2009, 06:04 PM
russian servers??? oh ****, not good lol. Everyone knows russian things are cheap and crap ;) they will no doubt break within 20 mins of going up haha

Well, news flash! IL-2 BOP was developed by Russians. :grin:

H Lecter
09-03-2009, 06:06 PM

Russian things are simple and efficient. I got a russian mirror telescope and I'm more than satisfied with it.

BTW - the whole game is russian. If you don't like it PM me and I give you an address where you can dispose it ;)

FOZ_1983
09-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Russian things are simple and efficient. I got a russian mirror telescope and I'm more than satisfied with it.

BTW - the whole game is russian. If you don't like it PM me and I give you an address where you can dispose it ;)

Its ok, i've already cancelled my order for this game. Looks shit anyway :roll:

Like hell i have!! i have people playing this game on my friends list... they are flying over kent shooting down jerry, and im playing trials HD!!!! not good.

Yossarian
09-03-2009, 06:37 PM
There are servers.. You tried playing a flight game with lag?

I don't think you understand how multiplayer works on consoles. One console is the host/server and others who join are clients. They only exceptions to that rule are a few MMORPG's and EA's Battlefield series. Console games DO NOT USE DEDICATED SERVERS.

Even games where you enter a MP match through match-making such as COD, it is still hosted on one of the players consoles.

You really expect 505 games to set up custom servers in the US, Europe and Asia ? You're going to be disappionted if you did.

There are no servers for this game, it does not use dedicated servers the host is the server.

It will be easy to test, ask someone who has the game 'is there an option to host' ?, if there is then they will be the server, if there is only an option to join then it will be played on dedicated servers.

David603
09-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't think you understand how multiplayer works on consoles. One console is the host/server and others who join are clients. They only exceptions to that rule are a few MMORPG's and EA's Battlefield series. Console games DO NOT USE DEDICATED SERVERS.

Even games where you enter a MP match through match-making such as COD, it is still hosted on one of the players consoles.

You really expect 505 games to set up custom servers in the US, Europe and Asia ? You're going to be disappionted if you did.

There are no servers for this game, it does not use dedicated servers the host is the server.

It will be easy to test, ask someone who has the game 'is there an option to host' ?, if there is then they will be the server, if there is only an option to join then it will be played on dedicated servers.

From the Eurogamer review, Sadly, the servers for the game weren't active at the time of writing, but unless there's some horrendous netcode calamity this suite of online play should easily extend the game's lifespan.

Seriously though, flight combat games are impossible to play with the kind of lag that would be considered acceptable in Call of Duty. A plane moving at 300mph is doing roughly 130 metres per second. Any type of lag will put the plane ahead of where you are aiming at, so this kind of game has to be run on good servers.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-03-2009, 06:53 PM

So which individual was kind enough to lend their console for the lobby server?

Yossarian
09-03-2009, 07:07 PM
So which individual was kind enough to lend their console for the lobby server?

erm the individual who clicked "host", common sense tells me.

towman
09-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Console games DO NOT USE DEDICATED SERVERS.

Not entirely true, some games do (Warhawk for example, SCE ran dedicated servers on its own and it was an option to a user to turn his/her system into a dedicated server, even get a trophy for it, if you ran a ranked dedicated server for 4 hours). Its up to the developer to design their game either way.

Yossarian
09-03-2009, 08:01 PM
If any one could supply a link saying 505 games are supplying dedicated servers then I would like to see it. Any conformation from either 505 games or Anton that this game has dedicated servers will do.

Otherwise I'm I'm going to assume that this game does not use dedicated servers at all, just like 99% of all other console games. Unless you can prove other wise.

@ towman, correct but there are thousands of console games and the ones with dedicated servers can be counted on one hand, it is not common at all.

P-51
09-03-2009, 08:05 PM
If any one could supply a link saying 505 games are supplying dedicated servers then I would like to see it. Any conformation from either 505 games or Anton that this game has dedicated servers will do.

Otherwise I'm I'm going to assume that this game does not use dedicated servers at all, just like 99% of all other console games. Unless you can prove other wise.

@ towman, correct but there are thousands of console games and the ones with dedicated servers can be counted on one hand, it is not common at all.

Somewhere on this forum.. Go look yourself i know im right..

Yossarian
09-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Somewhere on this forum.. Go look yourself i know im right..

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/search.php?searchid=697042

wrong

P-51
09-03-2009, 08:31 PM
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/search.php?searchid=697042

wrong

Welldone you proved you can do a search :D

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-03-2009, 08:41 PM
erm the individual who clicked "host", common sense tells me.

Any pure p2p console games I've played didn't have lobbies. Only ones with dedi game servers like Killzone 2 where you go through the companies main server before you join a p2p host.

David603
09-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Just wait until tomorrow. How hard is that?

PF_Lizard
09-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Official PS3 games use Sony's dedicated servers. A lot of 3rd party games use either P2P style connection or their own servers.

I'm hoping IL2 BoP will make use of these bad boys as P2P style hosting is awful.

http://www.blogcdn.com/playstation.joystiq.com/media/2007/08/warhwakservercluster.jpg
Yes those are racks of PS3s!

I don't think that's necessarily true. Just because there is a host option, doesn't mean you are hosting it. You could be configuring a server. In Battlefield 1943 I can 'host' a private game. I'm not hosting it. The dedicated server is. Admittedly, you need to fill it though, so that you don't cane off all the servers with small 4 man games.

EDIT: even CoD4 uses servers on PS3 (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175454)

"The only real issue is that the servers we're getting hit really hard, especially with the launch in Europe doubling that traffic, just something that requires optimising on the server side and we've been working with the PSN COD4 Server team from the moment it started having issues assisting any way we can to help them get them up to speed faster."

Blue Leader
09-03-2009, 08:52 PM
So is it or is it not gonna come on line tomorrow. It just says the il2 servers are down when you try to go on line. Anyone know???

David603
09-03-2009, 08:56 PM
So is it or is it not gonna come on line tomorrow. It just says the il2 servers are down when you try to go on line. Anyone know???
If you are trying to play online and getting a "servers are down" or similar message then that proves the existence of dedicated servers. And yeah, the servers should be up tomorrow when the official European launch date comes up.

Pup
09-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Well, even if it didn't use dedicated servers and games were hosted by players, then wouldnt it still need a dedicated server somewhere to do the matchmaking?

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Well, even if it didn't use dedicated servers and games were hosted by players, then wouldnt it still need a dedicated server somewhere to do the matchmaking?

And the leaderboards.

Desode
09-03-2009, 09:17 PM

Don't forget Section 8 and Frontlines fuels of war , They used real servers, Heck FFOW has 50 players in one match with zero lag.
DESODE

Yossarian
09-03-2009, 09:22 PM

Yes if there was match-making but IL2 BoP uses lobbies. You can search for availible hosts just like in Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon or Battlestations etc.

The host creates a match and selects what options they want, game type, map, difficulty etc then when players search for a game that persons server will appear in a list.

I would guess that the message people are receiving is 'No servers found' which is the standard message you get if no one is hosting at that moment. Considering hardly anyone yet has this game it is no suprise people are struggling to find servers. As more people buy the game then the list will populate with servers. There are people on this forum who have played MP today so I know we are not waiting on servers to be put up, the game is P2P anyway.

This game is 8v8, it's a standard console P2P MP game.

Yossarian
09-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Right I now own the game and have played MP.

You get told there are 'No Servers' if there is nobody hosting a game, it's nothing to do with dedicated servers.

So far I have played an unranked game on arcade setting (I was not the host), but we need lots of players because the game is spit up into different modes. Not only do you chose which of the four game modes but you have to select ranked or unranked and then which of the 3 different difficulties. So potentially there are 9 different options to search from which kind of cuts right down on available servers. It would be better to see a complete list of servers and being told what mode and difficulty they are set to for you to decide who you want to play with.

From what I've seen so far the only hosts are playing unranked and arcade but I would imagine over the course of the weekend as more people buy the game then the available server list should grow.

I was flying a 109 and the host was flying a He111 in dogfight mode. It took a lot for us to each shoot the other down, I hope the damage model is ramped up for realistic and simulator modes. it was good fun though.

Pup
09-04-2009, 04:40 PM
My point was that even if the actual game online is p2p, you still need some form of dedicated server to 'matchmake' and by that I mean, you need something to tell you what other players are online at that point in time looking to play also, you can't expect someones console to scan every known ip on the internet looking for people that happen to be playing il-2 :)

SirBruce
09-04-2009, 05:14 PM
I think the problem comes from PlayStation online network structure. Why not try to play without voice option and, obviously, disconecting any other system in your homework?

On Xbox Live, the server is the user host console, ok, but every communication and other administrative tasks are managed by Microsoft servers. That´s a point for third parties with not so much money as EA or Activision to mantain their own net structures. Xbox is supperior online and it will be untill Sony invest enought money, experience and effort to catch up.

Also, as an example of what I say and contrary to what someone said before, there are games on Xbox 360 where you can mount a PC system as server for your games, totally legal and supported by developers:

From the Section 8 game site news:
"As of today, PC owners can join in on the fun now that Section 8 is available on retail shelves and through Steam in North America. Also, PC owners can download and run their own XServers to host 32 player Xbox 360 games of Section 8 here. Stop YouTubing and get shooting!"

The PC hosting 32 player and Microsoft hosting everything else on their Xbox Live servers. Why not do that with IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey?

Pup
09-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Blimey, you sound like a PR rep from Microsoft in the majority of your posts ;)

SirBruce
09-04-2009, 06:35 PM
It sounds to you like that, only to compensate Sony PPRRs that are registered in this forum. :cool:
But I´m not.

Shub
09-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Blimey, you sound like a PR rep from Microsoft in the majority of your posts ;)

That's what I thought too. Like this forum was missing an evangelist...

towman
09-04-2009, 09:43 PM
The PlayStation(R)Network handles all the matchmaking and leader board duties (using SCE servers) free of charge (unlike MS) and most of the time it does a pretty good job.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-05-2009, 12:28 AM
That's what I thought too. Like this forum was missing an evangelist...

:grin: