PDA

View Full Version : AV8R questions

manintrees
08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
I know there are a bunch od posts regarding flight sticks but I have some questions regarding the AV8R that I hope some users can answer.

1. The deadzone on my AV8R is massive. I can move the top of the stick about 2 inches before any input is registered. Is this normal?

2. When at rest, my hat switch sits a little too the left. Because of this I have a greater range of motion when looking to the right. Is this normal?

3. The rudder control is terrible. I have to twist the stick almost all the way before anything happens and then the rudder goes all the way. There is no fine adjustments. This makes flying very jerky. Is this normal?

4. I cannot access the pause menu because all of the buttons are used by something else. This is incredibly annoying. Is this normal? How do I get to the pause screen?

FYI, I am using the "wireless controller (aviator)" configuration. Is this the problem. I tried others but this is the one that seems to work "the best".

Please help.

dald101
08-24-2009, 04:03 PM
1. The deadzone on my AV8R is massive. I can move the top of the stick about 2 inches before any input is registered. Is this normal?

2. When at rest, my hat switch sits a little too the left. Because of this I have a greater range of motion when looking to the right. Is this normal?

3. The rudder control is terrible. I have to twist the stick almost all the way before anything happens and then the rudder goes all the way. There is no fine adjustments. This makes flying very jerky. Is this normal?

4. I cannot access the pause menu because all of the buttons are used by something else. This is incredibly annoying. Is this normal? How do I get to the pause screen?

FYI, I am using the "wireless controller (aviator)" configuration. Is this the problem. I tried others but this is the one that seems to work "the best".

Ok mate, here's my take...

1. The deadzone is pretty shocking on mine and i think most others, but with a bit of practice (and a lot of patience) you can learn to make do.

2. The hat switch on mine sits slightly to the left also, but there is no difference in the range of motion.

3. I personally have no problem with the rudder but i dont think the game allows for minute adjustments of it- it's either full off or full on.

4. The start button is usually the standard pause for most games and is on my av8r, but i have not changed the config on mine so this may be the cause of some of your problems.

Hope this helps

Empi666
08-24-2009, 05:06 PM
See, now isn't the TMaster better as far as these problems like the deadzone and that?

I would rather take a restricted hat switch and have HOTAS and better deadzone, rudder controls, etc.

It just seems that a lot of people are throwing the TMaster away for one little thing....

I looked at the Aviator at the store and it didn't look that great to me.....I really have no idea what I am talking about though because I haven't played with either one :)

I am getting my TMaster today though!

fuzzychickens
08-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Ok mate, here's my take...

1. The deadzone is pretty shocking on mine and i think most others, but with a bit of practice (and a lot of patience) you can learn to make do.

2. The hat switch on mine sits slightly to the left also, but there is no difference in the range of motion.

3. I personally have no problem with the rudder but i dont think the game allows for minute adjustments of it- it's either full off or full on.

4. The start button is usually the standard pause for most games and is on my av8r, but i have not changed the config on mine so this may be the cause of some of your problems.

Hope this helps

I'm not sure where you get the idea that rudder is full on or off, you can clearly see in game that the rudder is analogue - not on/off.

dald101
08-24-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure where you get the idea that rudder is full on or off, you can clearly see in game that the rudder is analogue - not on/off.
I got confused with sensitivity settings.:(

You are correct.

lazyboy_se
08-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Well, if you use the controller then its analog. With the aviator stick its on/off.

fuzzychickens
08-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Well, if you use the controller then its analog. With the aviator stick its on/off.

Are you serious? Can anyone else confirm this??

I think I'd rather lose the analogue-view stick and get decent rudder control with the TM than have on/off.

The hell with it, they should just support the G940 from logitech and I'll drop a few bills on that.

dald101
08-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Are you serious? Can anyone else confirm this??

I think I'd rather lose the analogue-view stick and get decent rudder control with the TM than have on/off.

The hell with it, they should just support the G940 from logitech and I'll drop a few bills on that. I went and tested it on my av8r. The rudder turns more the further you twist the stick.
It's maybe not quite as precise as i'd like, but it works just fine.

manintrees
08-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the responses gentlemen. I noticed that before I changed my configuration from the default I had precise rudder control. The aviator config is the shits. Aiming is brutal with an on/off rudder. I think I'll order the thrustmaster if the only downside is the hat switch and return the AV8R.

manintrees
08-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Could someone also please tell em what config I should select on my AV8R? As in which in game config and which mode on the AV8R switch? Thanks again. Maybe I have the wrong combination.

Cheers.

SleepTrgt
08-24-2009, 10:56 PM
It seems ps3 has lots of flightstick issiues :shock:

trk29
08-24-2009, 11:58 PM
It seems ps3 has lots of flightstick issiues :shock:

I haven't had any issues with my AV8R.

It works really well.

manintrees
08-25-2009, 03:19 AM
I haven't had any issues with my AV8R.

It works really well.

That's encouraging to hear. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Could you please tell me if you have a huge deadspace or an on/off rudder? Also, it would be really interesting to hear what config you have it set up as.

trk29
08-25-2009, 05:09 AM
That's encouraging to hear. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Could you please tell me if you have a huge deadspace or an on/off rudder? Also, it would be really interesting to hear what config you have it set up as.

Dead space is there but not to noticeable. Rudder works fine. The config I am using is AV8R, second option.

manintrees
08-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Dead space is there but not to noticeable. Rudder works fine. The config I am using is AV8R, second option.

Thanks for the reply. I am really beating this to death but I need to find out if I am going to need to replace my controller. Are you saying that you have a range of motion on your rudder? I too am using the aviator (second option) and I cannot get the rudder to make small corrections. If I slide in on someone's 6 and attempt to use the rudder to line up the crosshairs, the rudder only will go fully one way or the other throwing me way off. It is like I am slamming my foot down on the rudder as hard as I can. Other posters are saying they too experience the only on or off rudder. It's extremely annoying. The thing that really irks me is that on other configs, the rudder works very well but the other buttons are misplaced.

trk29
08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am really beating this to death but I need to find out if I am going to need to replace my controller. Are you saying that you have a range of motion on your rudder? I too am using the aviator (second option) and I cannot get the rudder to make small corrections. If I slide in on someone's 6 and attempt to use the rudder to line up the crosshairs, the rudder only will go fully one way or the other throwing me way off. It is like I am slamming my foot down on the rudder as hard as I can. Other posters are saying they too experience the only on or off rudder. It's extremely annoying. The thing that really irks me is that on other configs, the rudder works very well but the other buttons are misplaced.

Yes this happens to me too. I would rather use the rudder for small corrections but I have been banking the plane instead because of this.

dald101
08-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes this happens to me too. I would rather use the rudder for small corrections but I have been banking the plane instead because of this.Out of interest, dont suppose you or anyone else has found a way to brake when landing with the av8r yet?
I have tried all the buttons but none seem to work.

Dubbedinenglish
08-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Out of interest, dont suppose you or anyone else has found a way to brake when landing with the av8r yet?
I have tried all the buttons but none seem to work.

I fire the guns :mrgreen:

merro
08-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Quick Question, since i just got the aviator.
How do i set the Trim on the PS3 Version?
I pushed every butten without success to make the plane stable during flight.
(On Sim Mode)
Thx 4 Help!