PDA

View Full Version : p-51 black engine

Mr Greezy
08-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Just doing the p-51 mission and have noticed a recurring issue. After extended time in the air the engine just quits and dies. I will have been flying along, not getting shot, doing just fine and then the engine on the damage indicator goes black and then I'm SOL. Just wondering if that's a bug. I thought maybe it might be because it overheated or maybe the fuel leaked out. If that's the case, what about some kind of indicator to show you that's happening?

Needless to say, I've been playing the demo nearly every day. I'm a fan.

ThatYoungGameGuy
08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
it might be the fuel running out. check your fuel gauge next time it happens, it will be somewhere in the cockpit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/vadenstick/Hurricane-MkIb.jpg

its a circle surrounded by a yellow border.

David603
08-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Fuel is supposed to be unlimited in campaign, but it could be a minor seeming hit you took earlier that caused a fuel leak and made you run out later? Most of the times I've had to crash land in Il2 on the PC have been caused by planes rear gunners getting a hit or two on me without seeming to do any damage as I shot them down and then me running out of fuel after a couple of minutes.

SleepTrgt
08-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Nah i have it all the time, Its losing Fuel pressure, many reported this already.
I started checking the gauges fuel stays high, its just fuel pressure thats dropping.
I still dont know why this is happening.

thundermuffin
08-19-2009, 02:40 AM
This isn't happening to me... then again, I finish these missions kind of quickly. I'll see if I can make it last a little longer and see if my plane starts to drop and I'll keep an eye on the gauges

SleepTrgt
08-19-2009, 02:48 AM
Just go dogfight, 1 life. and try kill as much 190's
I even let myself get spotted at the start just to spawn an additional flight of 190's making it a total of 28 190's in the mission. Made it out couple of times.
But often my engine fails, could be after 40 mins or after 15 mins.

SeaCat
08-19-2009, 03:14 AM
Do you have WEP engaged? You can burn out your engine if you use it too long, at least that's the case in most sims I've played.

SleepTrgt
08-19-2009, 03:18 AM
No tested it many times Engine can get damaged like that without using WEP or getting hit.

SleepTrgt
08-19-2009, 03:50 AM
Ok i went in flying around doin lots of G's for 40 minutes, engine didnt got any problems. Then 5 minutes of WEP and it lost power, so indeed be carefull with WEP.

But personally i was already being carefull with WEP hardly using it.
So i will try and figure out other reasons why the engine could die.

Edit: Flew above flak for a while, nothing happend.
I did notice however, if throttle is around 100% it can go into WEP without boosting the plane, still damaging the plane.
This only happens using a flight stick ofcourse. Makes me wonder everyone who has problems with the engine is using a Flight stick?

Mr Greezy
08-20-2009, 08:24 PM
What I was trying to say was that if it WERE something to do with the plane, a little indication of what's going wrong would be nice. The PC version had engine updates, etc.

thundermuffin
08-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Ok i went in flying around doin lots of G's for 40 minutes, engine didnt got any problems. Then 5 minutes of WEP and it lost power, so indeed be carefull with WEP.

But personally i was already being carefull with WEP hardly using it.
So i will try and figure out other reasons why the engine could die.

Edit: Flew above flak for a while, nothing happend.
I did notice however, if throttle is around 100% it can go into WEP without boosting the plane, still damaging the plane.
This only happens using a flight stick ofcourse. Makes me wonder everyone who has problems with the engine is using a Flight stick?

So this finally happened to me (shocking right), to me it felt like a mechanical error. About 15 min before, my wingman told me to check my oil... I did... nothing unusual (I don't think) and then preceded to engage the enemies over the trains. Got into some dogfights, wasn't hit, got some awesome kills B) and then my engine died on a REALLY hard low-yoyo trying to kill my target. Out of the yoyo, the engine died, I took it into a dive where it ALMOST started back up... but didn't..... and I couldn't land it in the frozen river :/ ... I don't feel like this is a glitch. This is very powerful engine that can get pushed past its limits.

xNikex
08-21-2009, 02:54 AM
What I was trying to say was that if it WERE something to do with the plane, a little indication of what's going wrong would be nice. The PC version had engine updates, etc.

Yeah, I was hoping for that too. Like: Overheat!, Dead, Off, Damaged, etc.

SleepTrgt
08-21-2009, 04:46 AM
So this finally happened to me (shocking right), to me it felt like a mechanical error. About 15 min before, my wingman told me to check my oil... I did... nothing unusual (I don't think) and then preceded to engage the enemies over the trains. Got into some dogfights, wasn't hit, got some awesome kills B) and then my engine died on a REALLY hard low-yoyo trying to kill my target. Out of the yoyo, the engine died, I took it into a dive where it ALMOST started back up... but didn't..... and I couldn't land it in the frozen river :/ ... I don't feel like this is a glitch. This is very powerful engine that can get pushed past its limits.

I dunno dude, i pushed my plane to the limits for over 40 mins nothing happend, then using WEP alot and after 5 mins or so engine stops.
But i also noticed like i said earlyer, WEP can be engaged on flight stick throttle without really boosting the plane but still giving higher pressure into the engine.