PDA

View Full Version : defeating turtle

easytarget
07-31-2009, 02:50 AM
Ok, so level 10, didn't have much trouble defeating the turtle.

But did run into something odd I've not experienced before, a cute little message about filing complaint with "Undead Control Administration Bosses" about not being allowed to use Rage of Spirits on bosses.

This is the first boss I've encountered, am I going to get told I can't use rage on every boss battle? Is this just a joke because the turtle is the first one and it's not all that hard?

What's the deal here people? ;)

Dredman
07-31-2009, 05:13 AM
It is not Joke you realy cannot use Rage spirits in all boss Battle. But boss battle is not too hard when you have good army and good strategy. It reminds me my last time I fought with turtle only with one demon in army with Paladin. I also has great artefact, he give me 3 mana points each round and it is realy great for healing. I bring second demon from portal and kill that Turtle with no losses just great army of One Demon :)

Metathron
07-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Umm...where'd you get a demon for the turtle fight?

easytarget
07-31-2009, 02:20 PM
ok, couple follow on questions

what is this portal you speak of? something i assume i've not run into yet at the stage of the game i'm at, because it would be handy to be able to bring in additional support during a battle (assuming that's what you mean)

and second, does that mean, sometimes you can use rage on bosses and sometimes you can't, just depends on the boss? and if it's a sometimes can sometimes can't thing, is it random like the drops, or when players encounter the turtle do they always not get to use rage?

Metathron
07-31-2009, 03:18 PM
You can't use rage in boss battles. Period.

The portal he's referring to is an ability of the demon unit (level 4), which I was wondering about, specifically where he got it from since prior to beating the turtle you only have access to the first continent. Probably one of the taverns had it on offer. I'm thinking the one in Arlania with the dragon's tooth quest? Am I right? :grin:

Elwin
07-31-2009, 03:22 PM
U cant use rages against obsses but there are only 3 of them, and except turtle you dont have to kill them and they are very easy

easytarget
07-31-2009, 05:37 PM
thx for the follow up answers gents

Razorflame
07-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Umm...where'd you get a demon for the turtle fight?

if your lucky the quest with the dragon fang will give a demon for sale;-)

themarxx
08-05-2009, 04:41 AM
if your lucky the quest with the dragon fang will give a demon for sale;-)

Yes I have found the demons before at the innkeepers. He will randomly have a level 4 unit for sale there after you complete the quest. I have encountered, Ents, Black Knights and Demons.

However, I am not sure how you managed to defeat the turtle with only one demon and no losses seeing as how demons cannot be healed or resurrected. I may be wrong on this, but that is what I tried to do also.

In the end, my strat for taking out the turtle at level 4 is with a single stack of 6 alchemists (purchase at the swamp). The turtle does up to 80 pts of damage with each stomp. The alchemist have 120 HP. I you have about 20 mana, you can last for 6 turns at least. The alchemist using their acid spray does about 300 pts of damage

Vilk
08-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Demon cannot be heal by the heal spell?

They can't be resurrected by inquisitor but can by the resurrection spell. But I don't remember for the healing spell.

Metathron
08-06-2009, 11:51 AM
In the end, my strat for taking out the turtle at level 4 is with a single stack of 6 alchemists (purchase at the swamp). The turtle does up to 80 pts of damage with each stomp. The alchemist have 120 HP. I you have about 20 mana, you can last for 6 turns at least. The alchemist using their acid spray does about 300 pts of damage

That sounds interesting, however I'm wondering just how you went about the earlier stages of the battle, since the turtle casts slow at the beginning and your alchemists would be forced to either move one spot or use one of their poison/fire concoctions from afar.

themarxx
08-06-2009, 12:12 PM
you are right, the turtle did cast slow. It took 2 turns to get within firing range. All the time I was casting heal, heal, heal after each stomp. I did this playing as a paladin, and as a mage. On hindsight, I should probably have moved the Alcheys right next to the turtle to take advantage of counterstiking.

themarxx
08-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Demon cannot be heal by the heal spell?

They can't be resurrected by inquisitor but can by the resurrection spell. But I don't remember for the healing spell.

The description on the Heal spell says that it will hurt undead but have no effect on demons. I actually did try taking the turtle on with 2 demons thinking that I could easily heal their damage.

Vilk
08-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Lol right!

I forgot that... and didn't check because often many details like that aren't well describe in descriptions, like description of res from inq doesn't mention it doesn't affect demons... nor undead. :)

EDIT: And about defeating the turtle a possibility is to use Magic Spring and Last Hero on a stack with a single unit. With that trick and even with a very low mana level that does the job with no death. Quote the reward for defeating the turtle is those 2 spells.

Razorflame
08-07-2009, 01:51 PM
i would call the turtle hardly a boos it's so easy ^^

Vilk
08-08-2009, 04:11 AM
EDIT: And about defeating the turtle a possibility is to use Magic Spring and Last Hero on a stack with a single unit. With that trick and even with a very low mana level that does the job with no death. Quote the reward for defeating the turtle is those 2 spells.

Damit i didn't remember well the turtle second move problem, to avoid the turtle use earthquake at second move the point is to have the unit close to turtle in front of its head not at the side like close to a turtle leg. At next rounds this change nothing, only for the second round.

Metathron
08-09-2009, 01:01 PM
you are right, the turtle did cast slow. It took 2 turns to get within firing range. All the time I was casting heal, heal, heal after each stomp. I did this playing as a paladin, and as a mage. On hindsight, I should probably have moved the Alcheys right next to the turtle to take advantage of counterstiking.

Wouldn't slowed alchemists have a movement speed of 1? That doesn't seem enough to get them within shooting range. To counter the slow, I can imagine waiting on the 1st turn, letting the turtle cast slow, and having your hero cast haste afterwards.

Also, the turtle seems to have the no retaliation ability. :grin:

Razorflame
08-09-2009, 07:19 PM
i smell some hoax in here:)

best way to kill turtle is either with mage shield+heal and horseman

or use last hero
^^

loreangelicus
09-16-2009, 05:21 PM
if you got lucky and pulled an ancient vampire from a sarcophagus, then a single unit could solo the turtle without any help from your spells; simply walk towards the turtle's head in humanoid form, taking in the slow spell and regenerating the stomp damage, then proceed to do your no-retaliation attack and regenerate from the turtle's main attack

Razorflame
09-18-2009, 09:48 PM
i do believe the turtle does kill a ancient vampire in one hit

;-)

Kings Bounty Hunter
10-04-2009, 11:44 PM
The turtle is a pain in the ass. It has 4000HP and dishes out 80 damage with it's Footstomp on impossible. We are talking about impossible level right?

bucazaurus
10-05-2009, 12:17 AM
The turtle on impossible is very easy to kill using a single Horseman as a tank
and archmages,bowmans and priests as damage dealers.(also Inquisitors if possible)
Just be sure you have learned Heal spell before enter the combat.
In first round move the Horseman near the Turtle and go Defend mode.
Use haste if not enough Action Points.Then use the Shield ability from archmage on them. After that start shooting. Keep using heal and shield on horseman until the turtle is dead.Do not attack with the Horseman. Just defend.You will win with no losses .

loreangelicus
10-05-2009, 12:34 AM
i do believe the turtle does kill a ancient vampire in one hit

;-)

Ancient Vampires have 110 HP (as opposed to 50 HP of regular Vampires). It also has a high Defense statistic. Neither the turtle's stomp nor its bite attack could dish out greater than 100 HP damage.

BB Shockwave
10-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Regular Vampires work too. I went with around 45 and they did enough damage with one hit to resurrect any that got killed when the turtle attacked.

loreangelicus
10-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Regular Vampires work too. I went with around 45 and they did enough damage with one hit to resurrect any that got killed when the turtle attacked.

That is quite a good amount of leadership you've got there if you have enough to bring in 45 vampires.

Unfortunately this might not be a viable tactic if you want to kill the turtle before Day 2 06:00 (that is, if you are going for a 7 days game).

Razorflame
10-06-2009, 03:04 PM
quickest way is to fight the turtle with a horseman archimage and ranged units
and boom boom turtle;-)

Zhuangzi
10-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Yeah, the turtle is really easy with Horsemen, Archmages and a couple of other ranged units. No melee units except for the Horsemen. You can usually get Horsemen from the King's Tent in Greenwort, you just need to get around the strong stack there. Bit of an exploit but it's necessary for this tactic.

To avoid the turtle's footstomp you cast Haste (you need Distortion 2) on the Horsemen, and CHARGE! I think the turtle does the mass slow on turn 1, but that's okay because only the Horsemen will move. You use the Archmage's Magic Shield on the Horsemen, and on subsequent turns you cast Heal on the Horsemen. You can also alternate with Stone Skin to buff the Horsemen even more. The turtle won't do enough damage to kill even one Horseman. Meanwhile you are shooting at the turtle with probably Inquisitors and Archers, and that's it! Using this tactic, I was able to win against the turtle on Impossible on probably day 3. It would work just as well on day 2, it would just take a bit longer due to lower leadership. :cool:

The key is you have to use Horsemen to melee the Turtle ASAP. That way the turtle will never do the footstomp, because it will always melee the unit standing in front of it.

loreangelicus
10-09-2009, 04:05 AM
Just like to point out that the Horsemen could reach the front of the turtle on Turn 1 if you position it at the middle of your lineup.

No-retaliation units are also better than ranged units at taking down the turtle faster. Vampires and Royal Snakes come to mind. Ranged units would do, but would take longer as they do not do as much damage as melee units.

BB Shockwave
10-10-2009, 12:20 AM
That is quite a good amount of leadership you've got there if you have enough to bring in 45 vampires.

Unfortunately this might not be a viable tactic if you want to kill the turtle before Day 2 06:00 (that is, if you are going for a 7 days game).

Never understood the point of a timed challange. What fun is in rushing through the game? I do a no casualties game, that's been my habit since Heroes of Might and Magic II., but I'm not rushing it - I avoided some fights to get to the Death Land and get better undead units for myself (still no Ancient Vampires or Cursed ghosts, though ...:( ) but I will be going back and clean out the Freedom Islands and Kordar methodically.

I'm with a Mage btw, and I took my time in cleaning out most of Darion before attacking the Turtle to ensure the no losses battle.

loreangelicus
10-10-2009, 03:50 AM
Never understood the point of a timed challange. What fun is in rushing through the game? I do a no casualties game, that's been my habit since Heroes of Might and Magic II., but I'm not rushing it - I avoided some fights to get to the Death Land and get better undead units for myself (still no Ancient Vampires or Cursed ghosts, though ...:( ) but I will be going back and clean out the Freedom Islands and Kordar methodically.

I'm with a Mage btw, and I took my time in cleaning out most of Darion before attacking the Turtle to ensure the no losses battle.

BB Shockwave, I myself do not rush through the game. On the contrary, I spend a lot more time on the game since I plan the routes to take and sequence the quests to accomplish.

And besides, the main point of accomplishing it in 7 days is because the score at the end takes this into account.

I myself am doing a no casualties run, even though this added challenge does not factor in to the score at all; the statistic is still in the final records, which is why it is worth pursuing.

The game I'm playing is a no-casualties run with a target Day 7 finish. Also targeting the max 103 quests, and level 30. Paladin on Impossible. The quick time forces you to go against tough enemies that you would otherwise just skip and overpower with larger forces and better spells later.