PDA

View Full Version : My Review of the Saitek Aviator for Xbox 360

l88bastard
07-30-2009, 03:48 AM
Here is my review of the saitek aviator

No, I have not tried the standard controller. I have all the bells and whistles for Il-2 1946 on the computer (CH Flightstick, peddals & throttle + TackIR4) and ordered the Aviator the minute I saw a release date for the demo and got the stick the day before the demo dropped...so I had never used the aviator before, but I did not wanna play this game with the xbox control stick because I know better! I also did not wanna spend $100+ for another controller which is why I did not get the Ace stick.

I think the aviator is an average stick, but I do not recommend it for two reasons. First, the twisting feature for rudder control on the stick itself.....I hate it. It is a pain to execute specific moves which require precise stick movement and precise rudder movement and when you have to do it on the same stick it just sucks....imagine pulling back for a climb while you are also twisting it for rudder movement...uggg, you get used to it, but after an hour of frantic play....and I STRESS FRANTIC because this game has non-stop action, your writst is jello. I am not kidding, I had to ice my wrist and hand...this will give you carpel tunnel syndrom guaranteed I am not kidding.

Second, the Ergonomics. Because it is ambidexterous for righties and lefties it is not designed for maximum comfort. The button placement on the base of the stick sucks and is a real pain in the butt for reaching critical buttons while you are trying to fly....you are constantly crossing one of your arms over the other to reach an out of the way button.....and don't get me started on the throttle control which is all the way on the front of the base!

Also, as I was saying earlier, after an hour of frantic play, my palm was sweaty and slipping all over the stick while I was trying to execute rudder movements. I am not a pusseee by any means, but my hand was cramping in a painful claw position and it took an hour of icing and stretching it to make it feel better.

After some investigation and questioning I have found that owners of the ace combat stick really enjoy the hotas setup for this game and I have decided to pull the trigger and buy one myself. I should have it in a few days and will fill you in then....

In short, don't make the same mistake I did, save yourself $40 buy spending $100-$130 for a proper HOTAS setup for this game.

Anybody wanna buy a slighly used AVIATOR? LOL!

TexRoadkill
07-30-2009, 06:43 AM
I just got one and think it's more useable then that. Any flight stick is uncomfortable if you can't put it in a good place. Without a special chair it's hard to use one on the couch for hours and hours.

I was surpised by how narrow the dead zone is. I might end up getting the better stick later but for now this is plenty good enough. It's definately better then regular controller. Especially in SIM mode where you don't need the zoom button anyway.

Zensuji
07-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Im to lazy and for fourty bucks you are too cheap, lol. Just buy the dang things is well worth the $40

Ahh so now you're saying I shouldnt buy one ;)

save yourself $40

Exactly why I made my thread asking those questions. :D

l88bastard
07-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Ahh so now you're saying I shouldnt buy one ;)

Exactly why I made my thread asking those questions. :D

Well I made those first comments to you after only using it for a little while...initially it appears to be a nice stick and a great deal BUT once you grind out some hours in the trenches with it you soon realize YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

You wouldnt buy the cheap ice cream, pie, or cake, soooo why scrimp on this delictible desert called Birds of Prey? Spend the cash and get the best flightstick you can!

Jeevz
07-30-2009, 02:32 PM
I got one yesterday, I agree the twist is a little tight but I bet after a break in period it won't be a big deal. It was a hell of a lot cheaper than my X-52 Pro so I wasn't expecting ultra high quality.

Zensuji
07-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Well I made those first comments to you after only using it for a little while...initially it appears to be a nice stick and a great deal BUT once you grind out some hours in the trenches with it you soon realize YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

You wouldnt buy the cheap ice cream, pie, or cake, soooo why scrimp on this delictible desert called Birds of Prey? Spend the cash and get the best flightstick you can!
Honestly I'm not that keen on the ace combat one after trying it out today. And for the price defo not worth it. I'd much rather get a cheap stick and just hold off for another stick to come on the market, which is bound to happen at some point.

xNikex
07-30-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm thinking about ordering one of these within the next few days.

My only question is: What is your opinon on the camera stick?

Lord-Tuinboy
07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Anybody wanna buy a slighly used AVIATOR? LOL!

Sure ! How much did you have in mind and where do you live ?

Jeevz
07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm thinking about ordering one of these within the next few days.

My only question is: What is your opinon on the camera stick?

It's a whole lot better than clicking in the right stick.

Overall it's smooth and easy to use but my hat switch use has been crippled by using TrackIR so long on the PC.

Bunsenbeaker27
07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
My AV8R arrived yesterday and it really is MUCH better than the gamepad. As previously pointed out it does have some ergonomic issues for extended play sessions, but for the price it really isn't too shabby. I have a line on an ACE EDGE for $100 and am debating on pulling the trigger or waiting a little longer to see if there is any announcement (HINT HINT ;) ) about a new flightsick and or bundle for Birds of Prey.

H Lecter
07-30-2009, 04:41 PM
I have a line on an ACE EDGE for $100

Is it a bundle w/ Ace Combat 6? No need to answer - I won't start a bidding war ;)

Bunsenbeaker27
07-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Is it a bundle w/ Ace Combat 6? No need to answer - I won't start a bidding war ;)

It is, but it is at a local retail shop; not an online auction. Best of luck on your bidding! :grin:

H Lecter
07-30-2009, 04:53 PM
It is, but it is at a local retail shop; not an online auction. Best of luck on your bidding! :grin:

Well, then I might give it a try :grin: