PDA

View Full Version : snakes casting scare on my troops

easytarget
07-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Ok, first day playing, good stuff, but run across something I can't really make sense of, and haven't found an answer to it using search on this forum or googling it (in other words, I've actually really tried to find the answer w/o asking here).

So, question is, what is going on with the spell scare? When it's cast against my troops it's as if my guys go into automatic pilot as if the whole this is being auto-resolved w/o any further input from me (I even toggled auto-resolve to double check I didn't accidentally turn that on, I hadn't). This goes on for what seems like an entire turn with both sides troops merrily doing whatever they planned to do w/o my having the ability to input commands on my troops.

Has the spell scare just taken my guys minds away for this round causing me to lose control of them? And then once it wears off I get control back? If that's the case, I get it, and I'm ok wtih it, just part of the battle and I'll deal with it accordingly, or have I missed something here and something really is out of whack.

Appreciate a response, so I can put my mind at ease on this peculiarity. Oh, and if you could give me a heads up on what the counter is on this, that would be appreciated too.

Thx, only a few hours in, and already addicted to the battles, I just keep wandering around looking for another. :wink:

Vilk
07-26-2009, 02:09 AM
I don't think it's snakes that cast scare your troops, it's more probably some wolf on werewolf on their wolf form that used their wolf howl that scary human/elf/dwarf troops level 1&2. In this case you lost control of your scared troops when under the effect and sometimes they pass a turn and some other time they do something else.

There's few other cases where you lost control of your troops. For example randomly wolf or werewolf normal attack has a small chance to put the troop attacked in fury and next turn you won't control this troop.

If you use the dispel spell that removes all effects then you get back control of your troop or you can wait the effect expire.

easytarget
07-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Ah, Ok, gotcha, I thought perhaps it was the effect of the spell. But wanted to check.

It seems that I'd have to issue a spell to dispel scare before either side took their first turn wouldn't I? I mean if I waited till scare had already been cast against my troops the effect would already be upon them and I wouldn't have any control over them, or can I still issue global spells as the commander that affect all my troops even after I've lost control of them?

Btw, I tried to look up this spell and never had any luck finding it, now that I've got some idea what it does, guess I'll keep an eye out of werewolves or wolves when the battle starts!

Thx for the reply!

Vilk
07-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Lol ok I see your army choice could not be a very good for first area. All your army seems to include units that can be scared by wolf. In this case yep you have no chance to ever cast a spell because none of your troops will wait your order, your only chance to cast any spell.

If you had in your army at least one unit that cannot be scared by wolf then you could cast dispel. I strongly advise you have at least one unit that can't be affected by wolf howl. In beginning of the game there are most often many fights with wolf or werewolf. I already quote in previous post the units affected by wolf howl, some example of units not affected are animals like Bears, units level 3 or more like Guardsman, plants like thorns and few other type of units.

You could also not use your cast opportunity to cast dispel and save for casting another spell, I just quoted it because it's easy to forget use dispel.

EDIT: And no there's no mass dispel.

easytarget
07-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Ah, all good to know, and thanks for the follow up response clarifying.

I've subsequently added thorns, since I'm stumbling across them laying around everywhere, it seemed like a cheap addition, and now it looks like that added benefit is I've got at least one unit in the field that won't scare.

Again, thanks for the help.:smile:

easytarget
07-30-2009, 07:36 PM
A follow up question occured to me playing last night.

When I have scare or plague cast against me, it looks to me like they've hit every one of my guys with it.

Yet when I as a mage chose to do something (like say, cast slow) it only affects the particular enemy unit I cast it against, not the whole opposing side.

Am I missing something here? Because I'd love to cast these things against everyone, or buff everyone on my side, not just one guy.

Elwin
07-30-2009, 07:56 PM
mass effect ( not game :)) is usually on 3rd level of spell

easytarget
07-30-2009, 08:01 PM
ah, very good

something to look forward to

right now the highest i've got is level 2's on some chaos spells

Vilk
07-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Don't expect too much, read description of 3rd level spells when you'll be able learn them, only few get a mass effect at level 3, not Slow.

In spell description you need see mention "mass". For example Haste, Bless, Weakness are mass at level 3.

easytarget
07-31-2009, 03:36 AM
Ah, good to know. Thx once again for the reply.