PDA

View Full Version : control setup here,came from 1up

peterdegrotere
07-23-2009, 05:37 PM
got this from 1up , they say this is the setup, arcade simu???

The developers greatly simplified the game's controls from the PC version: You use the left-analog stick for pitching and yawing, while the right stick handles the throttle and rudder -- you don't need to hold the throttle forward to keep speed up a la Blazing Angels, however; you can set it and then leave it alone. The upper left of the screen displays the throttle, airspeed, ammo, and altitude numerically, while the upper right shows the radar -- a very minimal interface overall. You fire with the Right trigger, cycle through weapons with the Left bumper, and use the Back button to control the landing gears.

The D-Pad commands your fellow squadmates: left to assist you, up to attack the current target, etc. You cycle through targets by pressing A, and by holding it down you can lock-on. Once you target an enemy, you can track their position by holding down the left trigger. If you want to see the view from behind, you can press down on the right analog stick, or you can cycle through various views with the Y button. Got all that?

direct link below, in the interview it said arcade and realistic mode, but theere not that good informed, because we know from anton there is a simulation mode offcourse
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174970&p=4

Rittmeister86
07-23-2009, 06:00 PM
I find a few problems with that intel. Not to doubt you, but it just doesn't make sense.

Either (A) The control layout wil vary from arcade to sim, or (B) there has to be a way to custom the controlls. I say this because we know the Ace Edge will work with IL-2, and that is far from the layout presented in AC6.

P.S. Yaw is controlled by the rudder. I think you meant to say the left stick controlls the pitch and roll.

Raw Kryptonite
07-23-2009, 06:17 PM
We've been told there are separate controls for flight stick and controller, no control customization. The controller layout is not like AC6 or other "standard" layouts. We don't know yet how the higher level functions are laid out, just the basics.

peterdegrotere
07-23-2009, 06:38 PM
We've been told there are separate controls for flight stick and controller, no control customization. The controller layout is not like AC6 or other "standard" layouts. We don't know yet how the higher level functions are laid out, just the basics.

hope there will be a good joysstick for the ps3

Rittmeister86
07-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Ahh, Thanks!

Yossarian
07-23-2009, 08:07 PM
no control customization.

No no no, in every game I have with flying in it I use left stick for rudder and throttle and right stick for elevators and ailerons. It would seem I am going to have to relearn how to fly using the opposite controls to what I'm used too. I wish I could swap stick configurations.

Raw Kryptonite
07-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Anton said they messed with it a lot and tried different config's and checked out other games as well. What they came up with just worked best for what all we're going to have to do in the game. I bet we get used to it pretty quickly. I've got an Aviator waiting on it, but due to the layout of buttons on it, the controller still might be preferable.

gd01Skorpius
07-23-2009, 10:23 PM
This just can't be right.
In every other flying game the RIGHT ANALOG controls PITCH and ROLL.
The LEFT ANALOG stick should control YAW and THRUST.

You shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel here. If you want your game to be accessible you need to follow conventions established by popular games of the same genre.

I don't want to relearn a whole new control scheme, I want what I am used to. :-x

xNikex
07-23-2009, 10:25 PM
This just can't be right.
In every other flying game the RIGHT ANALOG controls PITCH and ROLL.
The LEFT ANALOG stick should control YAW and THRUST.

You shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel here. If you want your game to be accessible you need to follow conventions established by popular games of the same genre.

I don't want to relearn a whole new control scheme, I want what I am used to. :-x

To my knowledge, most console flight games have left stick as the default "flight stick".

I believe most of us here will be purchasing actual flight sticks anyway.

Saturat
07-23-2009, 10:57 PM

yeah, I'm working on my flight with the left thumb in BF:1943 now. My left hand is retarded, it has like 25% skill of the right.
Joystick for me I guess, just waiting for Anton to post the intel this week.

Raw Kryptonite
07-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Bouncing around from OGF to AC6 to BSP and BF1943...they're all different. You get used to them very quickly after a while. Get a flight stick and there's much less to learn, but it won't be bad with the controller after a little while. The flight itself is what matters, the controls just have to be gotten used to.

Riceball
07-23-2009, 11:46 PM
If you are afraid you won't like that layout, don't be. I got used to it with Heroes of the Pacific, and now it is the only layout I like for air combat games.

I would'nt worry though, I'll be very surprised if there were'nt at least two configurations (sticks flipped).

Edit: I should say I'm left-handed, maybe that's why i like it so much.

xNikex
07-24-2009, 12:25 AM
If you are afraid you won't like that layout, don't be. I got used to it with Heroes of the Pacific, and now it is the only layout I like for air combat games.

I would'nt worry though, I'll be very surprised if there were'nt at least two configurations (sticks flipped).

Edit: I should say I'm left-handed, maybe that's why i like it so much.

That could be it. I enjoy the left stick as the flight stick so I can use my right hand for hitting the bottons.

fritzwendel
07-24-2009, 04:14 PM
I think the only game I have ever played on consoles with a right stick pitch/roll is Battlestations: midway and Pacific(you can switch it, though).

I prefer the left stick for P/R, and the Right for free look or throttle/yaw.

I think the option for switching the 2 should be available. They have southpaw controls for shooters, why not air combat?

Rickenbacker
07-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Yes, there should be an option to switch the sticks, but unfortunately there isn't. One can only hope it'll show up in a patch, personally I see this as a gamebreaking bug.