PDA

View Full Version : Il-2 Sturmovik Visual Benefits

Nike-it
07-17-2009, 05:51 AM
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds Of Prey (http://www.il2game.com/index.html), upcoming WWII flight combat, will feature impressive visuals, which include the use of satellite photography. STRM database pictures, renowned for their uttermost precision, have been used to recreate the landscapes of war-torn Europe in remarkable detail.

Building accurate 1940’s environments using the latest in cutting edge satellite technology comes with a set of immediate problems, most obviously the 50 year time gap in buildings, foliage and other features, many of which did not exist at the time of the game’s setting and others which are now long gone from the real word and need to be added. To combat this, the development team have collated and pored over hundreds of wartime photos, documents and maps, painstakingly removing unwanted additions and recreating missing landscape features.

Whenever possible, locations have been remodelled according to genuine, historically accurate photos from archives around the world. These were laboriously compared with modern images to ensure all significant features were included or removed as appropriate. Where documented evidence was unavailable, the team took the time to create unique buildings in keeping with the style of the era, often imitating structures from other cites of the era and transposing them into the created landscapes. In total, over two million buildings and around 35 million trees were put in place using these processes to produce a level of realism hitherto unseen on current generation consoles.

You can also find new screens here (http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/il-2-sturmovik-birds-of-prey/gallery).

FilthyPrick
07-17-2009, 07:06 AM
you guys are sooooooooo going to get rewarded for your efforts. Thanks.

Smudgyboy
07-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Big thumbs up for all your hard work can't wait to play your game, I'm sure I'll just be flying around looking at the scenery.

As a graphic design I work in a unique area, we have GIS, CAD and mapping, I had a look through one of the old files folders a while ago and found aerial pictures of Spitfires parked up on Hanworth Airpark, Hounslow Heath and Cranford all from 1940's fascinating stuff. I compared them to our resent areal pictures and its amazing what has changed so I can appreciate what you chaps have done.

Phil

Saturat
07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
You did an amazing job with the ground! it looks very good from all altitudes!

I find it very interesting reading about the development of games. feel free:) to post more stories of your 'hazards and hurdles' of making this game :)

maybe we can get som wireframes after game release ?

trk29
07-17-2009, 01:37 PM
You did an amazing job with the ground! it looks very good from all altitudes!

I find it very interesting reading about the development of games. feel free:) to post more stories of your 'hazards and hurdles' of making this game :)

maybe we can get som wireframes after game release ?

Wireframes? What is that?

xNikex
07-17-2009, 10:15 PM
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds Of Prey (http://www.il2game.com/index.html), upcoming WWII flight combat, will feature impressive visuals, which include the use of satellite photography. STRM database pictures, renowned for their uttermost precision, have been used to recreate the landscapes of war-torn Europe in remarkable detail.

Building accurate 1940’s environments using the latest in cutting edge satellite technology comes with a set of immediate problems, most obviously the 50 year time gap in buildings, foliage and other features, many of which did not exist at the time of the game’s setting and others which are now long gone from the real word and need to be added. To combat this, the development team have collated and pored over hundreds of wartime photos, documents and maps, painstakingly removing unwanted additions and recreating missing landscape features.

Whenever possible, locations have been remodelled according to genuine, historically accurate photos from archives around the world. These were laboriously compared with modern images to ensure all significant features were included or removed as appropriate. Where documented evidence was unavailable, the team took the time to create unique buildings in keeping with the style of the era, often imitating structures from other cites of the era and transposing them into the created landscapes. In total, over two million buildings and around 35 million trees were put in place using these processes to produce a level of realism hitherto unseen on current generation consoles.

You can also find new screens here (http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/il-2-sturmovik-birds-of-prey/gallery).

There goes one of those black and white screenshots again... I'm still wondering what the burning carrier was all about. Hopefully(praying) there's one in there.

peterdegrotere
07-18-2009, 11:21 AM
by wires he means i think, not fully renderd only the outlining of the modeling

Saturat
07-18-2009, 11:56 AM
by wires he means i think, not fully renderd only the outlining of the modeling

Yeah, no big deal but I find it interesting. Like a 'behind the scenes' on a movie you'll get inside look beyond the polish. And I spent 4 years working with 3DSMax so I love that stuff :-)

like this
http://www.allaircraftarcade.com/images/SOW/Bf-108B-2_02.jpg