PDA

View Full Version : Tactics

HauptmannMolders
06-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Hey guys,

For those of us still fairly new to sims I would greatly appreciate your input on tactics both defensive and offensive that you have found effective. I am an avid reader of all things WW2 and have a pretty decent understanding of the aerial combat tactics of the time but wonder how effective they are in simulations. For example is it best to fly as a schwarme in co-op? Are wingmen critical? etc

Perhaps some specific questions, scenarios or examples to get your feedback:

Offensive
1) Attacking incoming bombers: straight in 3 in a row as per the FW190/B17 aiming for the pilot? Or attack from above, below, the side? Clearly different ships will have different defensive positions and may dictate differing approaches, looking for generalities.

2) Attacking enemy fighter formations: dive, fire and run to regain altitude,then repeat?

Defensive
1) You're bounced from above: Dive to gain speed and space? Turn and climb straight at your attackers? Drop power/speed hoping they over shoot?

2) You're attacked straight on: Climb, dive or turn?

3) You're in the middle of a dogfight with one opponent: I assume its best to know your aircrafts strengths/weaknesses vs your opponents and utilize those. This of course is based on the assumption the flight characteristics are accurate in the game. Any general tips?

Thanks for your input folks. Looking forward to reading it.

HauptmannMolders VG

Marchochias
06-28-2009, 10:37 PM
About the flight characteristics, I read that they were imported directly from the original IL-2, which seems to be regarded as the best/most accurate combat flight sim out there. The flight characteristics will be as accurate as can be reasonably be expected in a game, if that is true.

As for the tactics, I would say that it all depends on the situation. The aircraft you're flying, at what altitude you're attacked, by how many aircraft, etc, all of those would change the ideal response. I don't think it's really something that you could make a simple computer program do "Ie if attacked in X way, do Y". It has more to do with just analyzing the situation and using your judgement, I would say.

HauptmannMolders
06-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Great I hadn't realized they were directly imported from the pc games! Also your comments are very true, creative flexible thinking is what separated the greats from the rest. I guess I'm really just looking for team based tips, this will be my first squadron based experience and it sounds like a lot of folks will be taking this as seriously as one can with a game, I don't want to let anyone down. I have to assume that we will be more effective working together rather than a free for all. Which of course will happen and may be the most fun anyway :)

Marchochias
06-29-2009, 12:20 AM
I completely understand what you're saying, or at least I think I do haha.

This will also be my first accurate combat flight sim experience.

I've played the old Flight Sim games on my PC years back, but I spent more time trying to get the damn thing to work properly (as with most PC games) than I actually did flying. And of course it wasn't a combat flight sim either.

Of course, the best way to learn is to just get in there and dogfight around in the game, and I can't wait. Graphical fidelity has reached the point where we can have this incredibly accurate, realistic looking simulator for such a low price, it's really amazing.

Since I doubt any of us have flown BF109s or La-7s before, and I'm guessing most of us never will, this will probably the closest we get.

I know this game isn't much like COD4, but to me that game was a very new experience despite the fact that I've been playing multiplayer shooters for over a decade, it's because COD4 made it so easy and quick to play with all my friends that we could actually strategize, and strategize a lot, for the first real time in a game. When we tried on PC games there were so many technical obstacles to get around, but on the consoles its so simple.

That's what I'm really looking forward to with IL2 BOP. If footslogging it around in COD4 can be fun when strategizing with friends, imagine how much more fun it will be flying WWII combat aircraft around above the clouds.

HauptmannMolders
06-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Perfectly said and a very good analogy with cod4! At the risk of sounding like a knob I have never been this excited for a game before. There was going to be a game sorta like this from Medal of Honour years ago but this? An il2 game on consoles? :grin:

Do we expect a release date for a release date even? Funny sounding that one...

Marchochias
06-29-2009, 01:41 AM
All I've heard is that it's definitely coming out this year, according to Anton. The thread should still be around here, not sure which one it is.

Yeah, this game is definitely my most anticipated, and not in a "Modern Warfare 2" or "Mass Effect 2" kind of way. IL-2 BOP is different because I had practically given up on accurate, realistic flight sims coming out anymore, because the PC gaming side keeps shrinking so much and most of the games on there are just console ports now.

But IL-2 BOP is literally exactly what I want in a flight sim. On consoles, beautiful graphics, dozens of aircraft onscreen, realistic flight characteristics, and a wide variety of aircraft to pilot. And of course multiplayer options, if there are up to 32 players per server as rumored, that would just be incredible.

Sure, a perfect flight sim would also include the Pacific theatre, but hell, this is already closer to ideal for me than any other game comes.

mondo
06-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Years of playing IL2 tells me the best tactic is to fly with a good partner. Two well flown planes working as a team can defeat any single opponent or multiple opponents if they are not working together. Its how they flew and it worked and it also works for sims. To lone wolf it you need to be either an excellent pilot or extremely disciplined.

Basic tactics for fighters is keep your speed, keep your altitude and fly in the planes best performance envelope i.e. look at the peak power outputs of the engine, roll rates at different speed etc.

Flying WW2 combat aircraft is not just knowing how to do a split S or keeping your energy state, its about knowing your own plane and opponents plane and there limits. Say you are in a 190A6 and your being followed by a Spitfire IX at 25,000ft. At that height the Spit IX will catch the 190A6 so as the A6 driver you need to loose some altitude, which is handy as the 190A6 is better in a dive and head towards a lower altitude where the A6 can produce its full power at which point its vastly quicker than the Spit IX. Head right to the deck and the Spitfire is in real trouble as its quite a slow aircraft compared with the equivilent 190 and 109's of a similar era.

HauptmannMolders
06-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Awesome, thanks.

haitch40
06-29-2009, 03:54 PM
if ur attacking fighters just dogfight and prey