PDA

View Full Version : Anton , you guys need to do some sort of online beta test

guiltyspark
06-18-2009, 07:13 PM
I know its a huge pain to develop a beta and launch it , but its essential to getting the title out the door knowing 100% that players wont have major problems online.

A good example is gears of war 2 , epic is one of the best developers out there and they didnt properly test the games online component before launch. so when it came out there were major problems and fans cursed the game.

If you were to make a beta for this game not only would you be able to record data and make adjustments to netcode, but you would be able to take in feedback aswell.

There might be a issue in the game for multiplayer for example that you dont see yet and that a tester would be able to figure out. such as glitches that will effect the games balance.

Even if its not public you need to do an international test of the code to see how gamers from different areas connect and can shoot each other down ( Especially our freinds from eastern europe and austrailia ! )

philip.ed
06-18-2009, 07:16 PM
I agree. I think the Ps3 would be the best console to test this as it is the most multipurpose in terms of controls etc. I know I'm biased because I own a ps3, but the playstation has features such as motion sensors which the x-box lacks, so beta testing the ps3 would give you the best results ;)

xNikex
06-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Isn't this what devs and hired beta testers are for?

philip.ed
06-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Well, on Cod5 you just had to apply for BETA testing...;)

guiltyspark
06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
I agree. I think the Ps3 would be the best console to test this as it is the most multipurpose in terms of controls etc. I know I'm biased because I own a ps3, but the playstation has features such as motion sensors which the x-box lacks, so beta testing the ps3 would give you the best results ;)

i respect your opinion but anton has confirmed there are no motion controls on the ps3 , and the fact remains that anything that is put on the playstation store by developers is charged by sony

so anton would have to PAY sony money to have it on PSN

guiltyspark
06-18-2009, 07:23 PM

we are talking 30-40 people all playing in the same building versus thousands and thousands playing in many different areas of the world

the quality of the testing in house is superiour in some respects , but taking a beta public IMO should be required for all games

The mass amount of people playing at once can discover more bugs , imbalances , and report lag and such much quicker.

xNikex
06-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Well, on Cod5 you just had to apply for BETA testing...;)

Well, it would still be neat, but I doubt it would happen in this case.

xNikex
06-18-2009, 07:24 PM
we are talking 30-40 people all playing in the same building versus thousands and thousands playing in many different areas of the world

Oh, okay. I wasn't 100% since I mostly hear requests like that come from kids who don't wanna wait for the game and want an excuse to play it early.

It's kind of sad we are practically having a conversation right now lol.

guiltyspark
06-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Oh, okay. I wasn't 100% since I mostly hear requests like that come from kids who don't wanna wait for the game and want an excuse to play it early.

alot of people do just want to get into a beta to feel "special" or play the game early.

But if they are active on the forums and are generally excited about the game enough they will report issues as soon as they see them (or until the game is over)

xNikex
06-18-2009, 07:31 PM
alot of people do just want to get into a beta to feel "special" or play the game early.

But if they are active on the forums and are generally excited about the game enough they will report issues as soon as they see them (or until the game is over)

Exactly. But from everything I've read, it seems that Gaijin is working VERY hard with BoP which is great.

guiltyspark
06-18-2009, 07:32 PM
and one thing we do know is gaijen IS done with the game , so they could technically put together a beta before the game goes gold.

IMO it could only benifit Gaijen

BTW it would be a HUGE marketing boost aswell

almost every game that gets a beta people go insane to try to get into it thus spreading the word about the game

the only way a beta can backfire is if the game itself is not very good or fun.

but i very much doubt that is the case here

sasquatch
06-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Geez, would you two get a room? LOL. :grin: JK.

Douglas Bader
06-19-2009, 07:36 AM

I'm with you..;)

philip.ed
06-19-2009, 04:06 PM
i respect your opinion but anton has confirmed there are no motion controls on the ps3 , and the fact remains that anything that is put on the playstation store by developers is charged by sony

so anton would have to PAY sony money to have it on PSN

...although testing on both consoles would give the best results. I understand money issues etc; but surely paying a small amoun to sony would be profitable if it meant people weren't buying the game because it has issues. I would like it to be tested on both consoles, it's fairer that way ;)

guiltyspark
06-20-2009, 01:45 PM
...although testing on both consoles would give the best results. I understand money issues etc; but surely paying a small amoun to sony would be profitable if it meant people weren't buying the game because it has issues. I would like it to be tested on both consoles, it's fairer that way ;)

its not a small amount of money at all.

Besides the testing on one console would carry to another