PDA

View Full Version : Helpful hints for novice modders

grantgto101
06-16-2009, 12:00 AM
1. all files can be placed in a folder called mods placed in KB data folder. Before modding make your life easy and any files that you wish to mess with should just be dragged from the KB folder to the mods folder. Anything in the mods folder will take preference over the main KB folder. If anything goes very wrong then you can just delete it from the mods folder.

2. *.kfs can be modified with winzip 12, *.atom, *.lng *, *.ui & *.txt can all be viewed and modified with notepad

3. *.ui exstension files are for modding your user interface

4. the file hero.txt can be modified to give your hero more stats and runes when you start a new game

5. *.atom, *.ui files are stored in the kb\data folder, *.txt files are stored in kb\sessions\base\ses folder and *.lng files are stored in kb\sessions\base\loc_ses folder

6. take a bit of time to look at these folders and do not be afraid to mess around with the mods folder. This game is actually fun and easy to code.

7. to mod the interface just find the name of the item you are looking for in the *.ui files and rename your new texture or picture to the exact same name and drop it in the mods folder and the game will start with whatever you put there.

8. to modify font sizes yon need to copy the fonts.cfg folder from the data folder to the mods folder and increase and decreas font sizes

Hope this helps ;)

disebodnout
12-15-2009, 06:07 PM
please set this topic as sticky, it's very helpful

KBPaladin
07-14-2010, 06:25 PM
1. all files can be placed in a folder called mods placed in KB data folder. Before modding make your life easy and any files that you wish to mess with should just be dragged from the KB folder to the mods folder. Anything in the mods folder will take preference over the main KB folder. If anything goes very wrong then you can just delete it from the mods folder.

4. the file hero.txt can be modified to give your hero more stats and runes when you start a new game

5. *.atom, *.ui files are stored in the kb\data folder, *.txt files are stored in kb\sessions\base\ses folder and *.lng files are stored in kb\sessions\base\loc_ses folder

Hope this helps ;)

Instruction 1)How does it work?Which files need putting in the mods folder? Music? Sesions? Video? All?:confused::confused::confused:
Instruction 4)Where do ya find hero.txt?
Instruction 5) There is no ses folder or local_ses folder!
There's just ses.kfs and local_ses.kfs!!!

kalafus2002
09-19-2011, 09:30 AM
I have started some modding and this will help. I'm also going to post some things I have discovered while moding.

I'm using other people mods for references and there are many thing that I have no idea how they work, but at least they do what I want (I think)

kalafus2002
09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm currently working on mods for King's Bounty: Armored Princess and will post anything I discover about modding in Armored Princess forum

Anderson Carvalho
12-06-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm making new textures for units with better appearance, and i pretend to add new units also, with the original models but reformulated with textures.
in progress: Demoness (completely nude), Ghost (scariest dark purple and good new alpha texture effects), Cursed Ghost (scariest new moss color and good texture alpha effects), zombies (gore!) and decaing ... And dark knight certainly!
Any sugestions?
See ya

Fatt_Shade
12-06-2011, 10:43 PM
For new/old moders our friend Matt here gave some great advices
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=28258
@ Anderson Carvalho Nice idea for changing unit models, i`m guessing it`s not as simple as moding txt files. Good luck with it. As for suggestions : try to add some rage/frenzy look to orcs foam on mouth, blood in eyes and such( reference Grom Hellscream fighting with pit lord in war3 video :-). They are supposed to be blood thirsty race, and they look almost timid in KB game :-P Also could you change priest/inquisitor models, swordman/guardman they look same, but are completely different units (vampire/vampire lord , imp/scofer imp , elf/hunter . . .)

Hochopepa
04-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Wicked sick :P

V0kesss
01-12-2017, 06:43 PM

2. *.kfs can be modified with winzip 12, *.atom, *.lng *, *.ui & *.txt can all be viewed and modified with notepad

3. *.ui exstension files are for modding your user interface

6. take a bit of time to look at these folders and do not be afraid to mess around with the mods folder. This game is actually fun and easy to code.

7. to mod the interface just find the name of the item you are looking for in the *.ui files and rename your new texture or picture to the exact same name and drop it in the mods folder and the game will start with whatever you put there.

8. to modify font sizes yon need to copy the fonts.cfg folder from the data folder to the mods folder and increase and decreas font sizes

Hope this helps ;)
I've been able to mod only the .txt files, and not everything I wanted. I can't mod the skills file, and I can't attribute leadership less requirement (like the Mythril Shield) for other races or units, and neither I can turn some items into items like Banner of True Faith, so that they will give me runes or scrolls after a certain amount of victories, because I can't give them the "use" option and stuff. I need help. I want to improve my experience on this game. And I am available to discussion on this topic, since I'm a big fan and I've played the game many times, especially on Impossible.