PDA

View Full Version : I need ome advice

CaptainKen
05-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi,

Although I have been strategy gaming for many years, this is my first RPG. I love this game - it's unlike anything I've ever played. I have three basic questions: 1) Can anyone please recommend another RPG, similar to this one (although they may all be - or not) so that when I finsih this one, I'll know what to buy. And 2) I'm wondering how I am doing: I am on day 22, I am a level 10 Palladin with Att 9, Def 8 and Intellect 6. My leadership is 4105. Am I anyhwere close to where I should be - oh, and I'm playing on "normal" difficulty. 3) Although I am not looking for any spoiler, or easy solution, when can I expect this game to be finished. What is the ultimate goal? How will I know when I am done? Is it a matter of just completing every quest thrown at me - or is ther some ultimate:?: final achievement?

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer this post. Being new to this type of game, I am just wondering how I'll know when it is over. Oh, and if I may ask one more question, for my next game, is a Mage or Warrior, in your opinion easier. THANK YOU for responding.

Ken

Metathron
05-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Are you following the storyline? You'll know when the game is finished, it won't let you wander about aimlessly.

The number of days doesn't really tell me how far along you are. I think the record for completing the game is 7 days, but you could easily stretch it over 50 or more, especially on your first playthrough. It'll impact the score, but personally I don't really care about that, it's just a number at the end of the game; the important thing is that you have fun.

So which part of the (game) world are you at now? Have you looked at the world map? You'll have to venture to all of those continents before completing the game, nothing on there is just for decoration. Actually, you'll have to do more than just venture there. :)

As for recommendations, I'm afraid I have none. I never really got into RPG games, but I love strategy/RPG or adventure/RPG hybrids, and I'd put King's Bounty into the former category.

Akimbo
05-30-2009, 07:44 PM
1) Not really sure, Heroes of Might and Magic maybe? ( I might have the name totally wrong, helpful I know lol :( )

2) Mmm, well you can play this game at your own pace, the days don't matter unless you're going for a high score, which never interested me, I enjoyed wandering about and making sure I did everything :)

3) Hmm...well I guess I could say you're "nearing" ( barely ) the end when you get to the Elven Lands. It sort of depends what order you did some of the other parts in.

Razorflame
05-30-2009, 08:14 PM
heroes of might and magic
:>

or maybe fantasy wars

but then again
king's bounty is one of a kind:)

CaptainKen
05-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks to those of you who responded thus far. As far as worlds I have only been to Darion and the Islands of Freedom. So I guess sooner or later I'll find a passageway to the others, which I haven't so far.

I have played all of the HOMM series and still play it probably, literally every week. I love that game too. A new question, which I had but forgot to post is regarding the Chests of Rage. I only have one of those right now. Is it too early to start thinking about a second one of those? They are really helpful in battles and I'd like to get more, but haven't gotten the "ingredients" for any of the others. Again, to all, I really appreciate your taking the time to repsond.

Ken

Vilk
05-30-2009, 11:43 PM
About the rage chest, you should be able to get two of them very fast, read their dialogs they explain what they expect when you ask them if they want serve you.

Razorflame
05-31-2009, 01:05 AM
for zerock the rock(u just need to talk to him and ask will you serve me?)
then he will leave a mini quest for u(a battle vs mages) if u win he's your to obey

for sleem(better choose) u need to ask him will you serve me and he wil need food

bring him 10 venomous spiders or royal snakes or swamp nakes(creatures that have the poisenous ability)

for the other you need to go to upper hadar then then the first (girl forgot name will come)

and the reaper will show up in the mines to fetch an item for him)
^^

akn
05-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Maybe you would like SpellForce, check it out. Heroes of Might and Magic is obvious and there is a lot of them now. :)

Elwin
05-31-2009, 10:52 PM
22 days lvl 10 freedom islands isnt going well if u want to know, about rage spirits u should have sleem and zerock at lvl 3 actualy ~~
Other games hmm very old but Disciples series is nice too ( a bit too short especialy Disciples I)

Razorflame
06-01-2009, 12:20 PM
very old but a nice game too looks alot like homm

heroes chronicles:)

phalzyr
06-01-2009, 02:27 PM
22 days lvl 10 freedom islands isnt going well if u want to know, about rage spirits u should have sleem and zerock at lvl 3 actualy ~~
Other games hmm very old but Disciples series is nice too ( a bit too short especialy Disciples I)

Level 3 - Yes I guess if you do absolutely nothing but go for the box. Which unless you cheat and read online is impossible the first time because you don't know where it comes from ;)

First time in I cleared out both Darion, and Arlania before going on with main quest to get box. Which if you don't know where exactly to go and trick around fighting, you end up several levels higher ;)

Sleem - Like the others said find something to feed him. You must have them in your army and then talk to him again and say I found some food for you... He is really easy to get and has the soonest group attack that can often be better than the rock's. Snakes are ALWAYS sold in the snakes underground cave in Arlania so it is easy to get them soon also...

Day 22 does seem kind of a big number to be where you are, but by how poorly the time function works it is easy to have days pass on you by simply going back and forth to the islands to finish a quest before continuing on. Every trip wastes up to a day for travel. So if you keep going back and forth to finish one quest at a time or resupply troops...

You can not miss the other two being activated (Well if you ignore Lina when she says "Go south" you can I guess...) The last and I think best comes automatically when you free a certain Castle for the main quest...

Don't worry about days especially the dirst time playing, it just a score mechanizism that is flawed.

Metathron
06-02-2009, 07:41 PM
very old but a nice game too looks alot like homm

heroes chronicles:)

That's because it IS HoMM. ;)

Larsen
06-02-2009, 08:08 PM
if you like HOMM series, you will love Disciples II ;)

Note that Disciples III should be released soon (Q3 if i am right)

Razorflame
06-02-2009, 08:43 PM
That's because it IS HoMM. ;)

it's not homm it's its predecesor

heroes chronicles is about TARNUM

:>

Metathron
06-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Yes, it is HoMM, it doesn't just "look a lot like it", it looks exactly the same, because it uses the HoMM III engine and pretty much the same universe. It's just that the campaigns revolve around a single hero, and there are no single scenarios so replayability is low.

Razorflame
06-03-2009, 10:43 PM
it was a great game anyway:)

Zorgo
04-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Try Age of Wonders II: Shadow Magic and another good one was Etherlords.

Vulture
04-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Try Age of Wonders II: Shadow Magic and another good one was Etherlords.

This thread is 2 years old...

Katie
04-30-2011, 08:12 AM
I liked the Age of Wonders games. Sure would have loved an Age of wonder 3 :).