PDA

View Full Version : Some Pointers Required & Other Things

Random_Knight777
05-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Greetings. I've been playing Kings Bounty: The Legend for a little while now, not too much, but I've already noticed a few things I'd like changed(Mostly some of the basic human units).

I've been lurking about a bit, searching for the basics on how to do it myself.
I've found out a few things, thus far;

1) The .KFS files can be opened with Winrar/Winzip
2) The .ATOM files can be opened with notepad/as a TXT

I could say I have a third point, and that would be that making a .KFS file, is done via saving a Winrar/Winzip file as .KFS instead, but I ain't sure I got all that right on that part.

... I think I entered rant mode, my apologies. Moving on. I'd like to get some more specifics on how the procedure is done, about how you make a mod.

Do I just extract an .ATOM unit file, change it, save it, dump it in a zip and make it an .KFS and then dump that in the Data/Mods folder, and it'll work, or is there something else needed?

Now, this may sound a bit silly coming from a completely random person such as me(No Pun intended), but perhaps someone could either make a topic where info such as this, the basic know-how of modding Kings Bounty is stored... Or just a topic with a link to where such a place can be found?

My apologies if I've gotten some things wrong and if I'm just blathering nonesense on you all.

Keneth
05-13-2009, 10:39 AM
You got all of that about right, just make sure that your KFS files are in Zip format, I'm guessing they can't read RAR. And a guide thread has already been attempted a couple of times (like here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=5560)) but there's hardly any point to it, the file types are more or less basic and their definitions self-explanatory. Advanced options have mostly been explained over induvidual threads which a well placed Search should have no trouble finding.

At this point, asking someone to write a complete guide is pointless, no one's gonna invest that much effort without a good reason. When you have a question (or questions) just make a new thread, it'll be faster.

Random_Knight777
05-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Hmmm. *Chews a bit on this* Alright, I think I understand your point of view on the whole "Making a Guide" deal, and thanks for confirming the few points I had there.

Also, I was going to ask a bit further on the whole "Do I just dump changed unit.ATOM files in the .KFS and then it works?", but hey, I tested it myself. It -was- that easy. O.o Would'ya look at that. *Begins to doodle and change some stats about~*

Edit; This line, "defenseup=X", on units, is it possible to make it a % Increase instead? <.< And if so, would that % Increase account for Base Defense, or Total Defense(After bonuses from various things)? Just curious, and hopeful that someone might know.

Keneth
05-13-2009, 04:43 PM
I can't remember what that attribute does (haven't been anywhere near the game in a while) but if it's possible, then it's as simple as putting a % next to the number, the easiest way to find out would be to test it. As far as bonuses go, I'm guessing all percentile increases take only base values (+hard bonuses?) into account but I've never tried it.

When it comes to basic modding like stat changing, trial & error work a lot faster than waiting for a reply on a forum, I only pass by once or twice a day if that...

Random_Knight777
05-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Hmm. Thanks, I'll try that. And that attribute seems to be how much Defense they gain when using the Defense action.

Anyhoo, Where can I find, and mess around with, stuff such as Items or Spells? Or just Items, if possible.

And I don't mind wait times, really. ^-^ Better ask and be sure than rage over infinite mistakes. By my book at least.

Keneth
05-14-2009, 12:05 AM
items in items.txt, spells in spells.txt :roll:

Random_Knight777
05-14-2009, 03:01 AM
Well. This is a typical "Herpaderp" moment.

Edit; Either you're pulling my leg, or something's wrong. Since even when searching all I can, I can't find any "spells.txt" or "items.txt". Nowhere in the Kings Bounty Folder, Sub-Folders, or any of the archives. <<

Keneth
05-14-2009, 10:38 AM
<installdir>/sessions/base/ses.kfs:items.txt
<installdir>/sessions/base/ses.kfs:spells.txt

HTH, hurrderpderp :-P

Random_Knight777
05-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Herpaderp hurrdurr. Thanks verily much, Keneth. *Bops self for being nubtard*

PS: "HTH"?

Keneth
05-14-2009, 08:54 PM
hth = hope that helps