PDA

View Full Version : Mod Request: Font

Pyros_IT
05-10-2009, 02:04 PM
So I've played both the Atari and the Nobilis version of the game, having bought the latter. But Atari's one has a much nicer in-game font. Would it be possible to make a mod substituting the font of the N version for the A version?

cheers

Keneth
05-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I wasn't aware there was any such difference. The font type and size are defined in LNG template files iirc, perhaps if you compared those, it might be as simple as replacing some text if both fonts are included in the game, or simpler still if the fonts are actually saved as files, in which case you could just replace/switch those.

Pyros_IT
05-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm sorry, I have zero experience modding and pretty much all you just said is greek to me. Is there some kind of modders manual?

tks for the patience

Keneth
05-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I think there should be a couple of threads around that explain the basics but this isn't exactly a huge endeavour, browse through the KFS files (with WinRAR or 7-zip) and see if you can find any font files (they'll probably have a TTF extension or something). You'll find the KFS archives in data and session/base folders.

If that fails then search for a file called templates.lng (the interface mod modifies it, so you'll want to edit that one if you're using it) and scroll through the formatting code, or compare it to the file from the other version to see what's different, and modify it.

But it's also entirely possible that the fonts are compressed inside system files like the main executable, in which case changing them would get rather bothersome.

If you think you can't do some of these things then I suggest you wait around to see if someone who can strolls along. But there's not much activity around here anymore, it might flare back up once the expansion gets released to the rest of the world...

Sorry I can't be of more help.

McGuire
03-25-2012, 10:51 PM
I wanted to change the font TYPE also, but it simply doesn't work - I tried for 2 hours every file config variation I could come up with. Adding fonts into the data.kfs (after renaming it to zip), replacing the font.f file with the font I want to use... No effect whatsoever.

Once I set the "font=font.f" (default) line in fonts.cfg to anything else - even blank space - the game uses some kind of Arial font.

So it's either the game's default font or some kind of Arial. Too bad, i really wanted to use Friz Quadrata.

I just registered to state this here and I doubt someone will even reply in future, but eh, maybe it's worth for the search that the font type just cannot be changed to anything else rather than game's default and the "Arial".

What a bummer.

MattCaspermeyer
04-04-2012, 07:46 AM
I'm not sure if you noticed, but there are *.DDS files that look like they identify the fonts being used in the game.

I'm not 100% sure, but I opened up the files and they have text letters in them.

The files are *FONT*_res.dds, where:

*FONT* = arial, courier_new, etc.
res = 640, 800, 1024, 1280.

Pop those files open in Gimp (if you have the plug-in) or search for the plug-in on the Internet if you don't have it and take a look at them.

I *think* this may be what you're looking for and so you just need to generate the following files as a guess:

friz_quadrata_640.dds
friz_quadrata_800.dds
friz_quadrata_1040.dds
friz_quadrata_1280.dds
friz_quadrata.fmk
friz_quadrata.fnt

And *hopefully* you'll be good to go!

By the way, the FMK files identify themselves as "font_maker_project", not sure what that is, but hopefully you know. Also, I'm not sure where to tell it which font to use, but hopefully you know that as well.

Good luck!:)

/C\/C\