PDA

View Full Version : maximising your leadership

Razorflame
05-05-2009, 12:11 PM
just one question when u level up u get 10~15% of the total leadership u have(but are items counted also in this or not?

anyway some people say leadership is best taken at level 14 or 15
counting though that level 2 3 only gives like 20/40/60 IIRC

but what if you would speed kill rush the turtle
(after you finish the turtle and start a new quest you get +500 leadership from the king)

let's say you have done first 3 main quest and are problaly level 2(without fighting any other stacks)
ofcourse you didn't take leadership but the other skill w/e that may be

let's say you take the boat and steal as many banners as possible
let's say u get +150~300 extra leadership from a banners stolen

now you rush to the turtle

get and extra 500+leadership

that would be around 650~800 leadership! and by doing so you would also get a level up and be level 3

and get an option to get leadership

let's say u would have a total of 900 leadership(100 from the base when u start)

and u get 10% of that you get like 90 extra leadership

on level 3 that is huge :>

and then the normal calculating wouldn't work anymore i gues (given they didnt take this portion in)

so this would be a better way to get max leadership or not?

Writhan
05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
To my knowledge, the leadership you gain while leveling up, is a fixed value. It's related directly to what level you are, and nothing else.

This is why picking statistics over leadership is prefered at lower levels, and chosing leadership over statistics at later levels are prefered.

Example:

Level 2
1 Attack
40 leadership

Level 20
1 Defense
1800 leadership

You'll have abit rougher start, due to lack of leadership (Unless you're lucky with items), but later on you'll have a stronger character.

Razorflame
05-05-2009, 01:04 PM
ah i thought it's based on your leadership and get a % of that :>
thought i had seen somehwere on the forum

DGDobrev
05-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Generally, if you want to do a quick victory, it's highly advisable to start taking leadership as soon as possible (like lvl 3, for example), especially on hard and impossible. Besides, you can't pick the leadership upgrade at every level. If you started at 2, you can pick it at the even numbered levels (2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28-30), and if you started at lvl 3, you can pick it on the odd numbered levels (3-5-7, etc., up to 31).

It all depends on how do you want your game to unfold. I personally like to pick leadership as soon as I get it, it allows for quicker victories, even in impossible. For example, right now I'm day 5 (I lost a day traveling, could have been day day 4 but I don't have a precise clock, even though I'm running Nobilis' 1.7 patch) on impossible with a paladin in the mines, killing strong or very strong opponents with minimal or no losses. If I have to wait till lvl 20... It'll take a lot of time.

Razorflame
05-05-2009, 01:34 PM
i got same lost a day at traveling too but i haven't taken leadership untill level12

:)

i'm a mage btw :>
playing on impossible too

Elwin
05-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Leadership values are fixed, its 40/50/60 * level depend on class

DGDobrev
05-06-2009, 12:59 AM
i got same lost a day at traveling too but i haven't taken leadership untill level12

:)

i'm a mage btw :>
playing on impossible too

As a mage, you have some nice spells to complement your fighting arsenal at start. A good fireball wins many battles in the beginning. As a warrior and paladin, you don't have this luxury :)

Zuvio
05-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Generally, if you want to do a quick victory, it's highly advisable to start taking leadership as soon as possible (like lvl 3, for example), especially on hard and impossible. Besides, you can't pick the leadership upgrade at every level. If you started at 2, you can pick it at the even numbered levels (2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28-30), and if you started at lvl 3, you can pick it on the odd numbered levels (3-5-7, etc., up to 31).

It all depends on how do you want your game to unfold. I personally like to pick leadership as soon as I get it, it allows for quicker victories, even in impossible. For example, right now I'm day 5 (I lost a day traveling, could have been day day 4 but I don't have a precise clock, even though I'm running Nobilis' 1.7 patch) on impossible with a paladin in the mines, killing strong or very strong opponents with minimal or no losses. If I have to wait till lvl 20... It'll take a lot of time.

So you did freedom islands in one go than did you? Could you share some insights on your army and tactics and which level you were when you got to the islands? I assume most enemies were strong on the islands for you. Did you lose many troops or virtually none at all? Could you maybe post a savegame of when you just got to the islands? Thanks for your time :D

Writhan
05-06-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm day four, and just visited freedom island. I'm sure its possible to rush to mines, and reach it on day four, if you keep focus on main quest only.

That said, I'm pretty sure you'll hit a brick wall sooner or later (And you'll certainly have to play a mage, as your army will be too weak alone)

DGDobrev
05-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm not rushing at all :) I've fully completed all of the areas (greenwort, arlania, velarion, swamps - without enemen, lower/upper haddar) as well as their quests, with the exception of 20% of the islands, since I plan on returning there (probably) sometime and finish up some additional quests - I'm still trying to decide whether I want to play with target + faeries+dryads ... But we'll see. I'm thinking about an undead-based paladin too... since I'll be going towards tolerance by all means.

The mage isn't that powerful actually. On impossible, the game is beatable with a mage, but he'll come to severe problems later on because you'll be low on leadership, and sometimes 2 ice snakes or whatever offensive spell you prefer + soul drain/time back (provided you have it at the start of the battle) isn't enough to alleviate the troop number difference.

I agree that the paladin is very hard to play on hard and impossible, but that's what makes the game rewarding. And I have a hunch that he's not that sucky as most people claim him to be. So far I lose few or no troops in the mines against strong and very strong opponents, depending on their troops (I love that interface plug-in) :)

Writhan
05-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I wasn't aware it was possible to wrap up greenwort and the surrounding areas so quickly. Good job.

I'm currently playing a normal-paladin, and until now, I'm doing fine. I rushed down to +20% experience talent and got lucky with my undead wife (Who's now a human), to have a baby that gave me an additional 10% experience.

Initially I focused on pirates. I had the pirate belt & boots and ... of course the wife, that granted them a total of +2 speed, +1 initiative and +5 attack. Sea dogs and marauders are actually quite powerful with these items in ones possesion. My boots however, seemed to bug at some point. They have morale, and it reached zero. Now, when i supress the boots, they do not gain morale again. So i got upset, and rushed/kited to the demon world, and bought myself an army of demons. After that, I returned to freedom island with my fresh new group of fiery menace.

My paladin feels kind of odd to play. I don't really use nukes. I spend most of my rage on the snake-guy's shield ability, and use the ressurection spell. Both my mage and warrior felt much stronger at this point, if my memory serves me right.

Elwin
05-06-2009, 06:52 PM
I agree that the paladin is very hard to play on hard and impossible, but that's what makes the game rewarding. And I have a hunch that he's not that sucky as most people claim him to be. So far I lose few or no troops in the mines against strong and very strong opponents, depending on their troops (I love that interface plug-in) :)

Can't agree, I played hard paladin and it was very easy for me, with runic stone could get distortion 3 on lvl 10 or so..

DGDobrev
05-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, on impossible things change. At some point, all you'll be facing is strong and very strong opponents even if you play properly and kill everything. I rerolled my impossible paladin yesterday... That day I lost to get to the islands... I didn't like that :)

As for the fast play, this is what I did. I know it's far from perfect, but it does serve me well every time and with every char :)

In order to do things quickly, you need to start off the right foot. A good way to do that is to complete some easy quests. The main story quests are a must (and are very easy and do not involve fighting) till you get to the quest for Lyaro island. This will give you the chest of rage and since you have enough money, you can get Glot to help you right away as long as there are snakes or spiders to purchase from Hall's menagerie. This will give you a good leadership up and going, as long as you pick the upgrades from the get-go (well, with a mage you may want to stack up on stats, but that's another matter for the paladin). So I like to traverse all starting maps and steal as much stuff as I can before I actually get to the fighting. It really depends on how the game is set up for you... But sometimes you may get quite lucky :)

The next thing is that you don't really need to spend money on troops in the beginning. There are some friendly troops scattered across the maps, and while raiding the graves, you will take off with some skelies - as long as you have free spots in your army. There are also vampire coffins, unguarded griffin eggs... This leaves you with more than enough money to buy various artifacts. And besides, trade is only 6 mind runes to fully master it and get even more money out of the spare scrolls and other stuff you don't need... It's so cheap :)

After I'm happy with the leadership value and the initial army setup, I usually stash a unit in the castle and go kite the defenders of the camp with the Horsemen in Greenwort and take as many as I can. They are the best starting tankers and pretty much remain like that throughout the game. With those, you can open up Zerock easily.

After that, you can easily kill everything. It's combat after combat, utilizing both spirits of rage and having them level up as well.

Oh... and don't forget that it's much harder to level up on impossible. Here's the experience table: http://www.gamebanshee.com/kingsbountythelegend/experiencetable.php

Razorflame
05-07-2009, 10:03 AM
to be honest i find the game ALOT easier with the warrior or paladin than with a mage

ofcourse the beginning is easier with the mage(since his spells are DECENT then) but after you progress in the mid game you already come up with certain leadership problems..

which will excel in the mines and dead land. where your leadership is just sucky yo say the least

furthermore I mostly use

1. must have in beginning till mid game(ingi's)
2. Evil beholders/horseman(depends on what i get, i rush to boogus)
3. royal snakes/horseman one of those wether one is avaible or not
4. (level 4 unit in the dragon fang quest(unless it's an undead)
5. archimages/alchemist (sometimes i get unlucky and there is no alchemist avabile :(

in the mage game my army consistented

of
1. ingi
2. evil beholder
3. orc shaman
4. cannoneer
5. alchemist

and i was steamrolling the island
but i made error and made new game again:P
instead of it being on impossible it was ON NORMAL and i was like omg how could i not see this :D

so i started all over

having

1. inqi
2. horseman
3. royal snake
4. archmage
5. alchemist

steamrolling through all area's without casualties

waiting until i get sacrifice so i can swap the archmage with ent
:>

so i get more and own on freedom island :>

Vilk
05-07-2009, 07:18 PM
....but I don't have a precise clock, even though I'm running Nobilis' 1.7 patch...
What that means?

Vilk
05-07-2009, 07:29 PM
to be honest i find the game ALOT easier with the warrior or paladin than with a mage

ofcourse the beginning is easier with the mage(since his spells are DECENT then) but after you progress in the mid game you already come up with certain leadership problems..
In what mode? And do you try doing a time record? Those both points change a lot the perspective. I totally understand your point about mage that can have powerful attack spell during the first parts.

But for me when the mage get 2 spells during one or two turns then this brings a more important plus.

I also have the feeling that the warrior is easier but in fact since the beginning and not that much more when mage get 2 spells.

In impossible mode when you try not lost a second to do a record I felt the beginning almost the more difficult and even more for the mage. But clearly I don't have played enough games in different modes and different characters to have any clear feeling about that. :)

Razorflame
05-07-2009, 09:24 PM
i only play on impossible

furthermore

paladin>warrior>mage

paladin why? he can acces to skills very early and possibly the only character who can max LEVEL and all his skills(not kidding)

paladin will have trouble during end beginning game turning into mid game(due to lack of good skills but after that it's just PLAIN steamroll for paladin) at least my experience

with the warrior his leadership is so very high that u can easily max out any army and use ressurect/gift to get units back and your units can kill easy with order on level 3:) (max bless FTW)

and mage the only decent and this guy is that his upgrades from spells are really cheap(the higher magic skill is nice) but can't compete vs the mass skills from pala or the high initiave a warrior gets(which can oblerate your troops before even getting u to cast spells)(since 9 out of 10 times the warrior will be faster and can use strong melee unit to HARASS your troops:)

just my 2 cents

Vilk
05-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I suspect the mage is under evaluated, perhaps partially because of the (amazing) Calundra record. Imagine one second that enemy heroes knew using spells and had a choice as large than yours, you'll know your pain.

Razorflame
05-08-2009, 12:59 PM
not really spells aren't that interesting on impossible i use more debuf or slow down spells
rather than damaging spells
(same actually goes for a warrior)
making your chaos spells rather ineffective since u can kill a whole stack in one turn

which blows

DGDobrev
05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
What that means?

Well, some players have a precise clock in their interface where the date is shown. For example, I have "Day 2: Daytime" and they have "Day 2: (the precise hour)".

I'm not sure if this is a version option or a plug in, or a mod.

Razorflame
05-08-2009, 02:11 PM
it's in al versions u have it somewhere left of your interface
left above your units on adventurescreen

Vilk
05-08-2009, 09:53 PM
not really spells aren't that interesting on impossible i use more debuf or slow down spells
rather than damaging spells
In the very beginning attack spells are quite interesting even in impossible.

Razorflame
05-09-2009, 12:04 AM
i hardly use them
unless there are many thorns(the only reason i use fireball)

else i would use TRAP(love this spell)
slow or fear are also very good options

rest is kinda waste to invest in:>
(speaking of beginning)