PDA

View Full Version : Finite supply of units...

St!gar
05-04-2009, 06:17 AM
...Is that really as brutal as they say? I read a review - IGN, I think - that said that due to the different shops having only a set pool of creatures that can be depleted, newer players might actually have to re-start the campaign, because suddenly there will be no creatures left to purchase.

That freaked me the hell out. Honestly, that sounds like the most horrible gameplay decition, ever. It's like in those early text-adventure games on ancient computers, where it was possible to get stuck so that you had no other option than restarting the whole adventure. In a modern perspective, that would be unacceptable. Yet here we are, apparently.

So, for those of you who have the game , how does the whole system work out? Is it as brutal and unforgiving as it sounds, or does it even itself out, somehow? By, for example, there being a finite amount of enemies as well?

I am currently playing the demo, as a Warrior character. I haven't got very far - I mostly hang around the starting city/castle thing where you begin, and the only main quest I have finished, is the one where you have to get the king back all those money-style thingies that has gone missing.

Point is; although it's still early in the game, I fight a lot of battles, and I always have some casualties - my small, (and very much finite), army getting slowly and gradually chipped away, forcing me back to the non-resupplyable creature shops to buy more knights or venomous spiders or whathaveyou. So I just wonder how it's going to work out for the full game on Normal difficuilty. What do you people think? Is it actually easier than it sounds?

Inso
05-04-2009, 09:01 AM
It all depends on the difficulty level you are playing at. On impossible(hardest), you are more likely to loose troops, and money is very limited, so thats when getting stuck is realistic.
On easy, money is abundant, fights are easy, loosing troops is rare are would be a good starting place for learning the game if you don't like getting stuck.

The higher you raise difficulty, the more likely it is you will loose troops. Running out of troops to buy is not really the deciding factor, money will be. Avoiding casualties is possible and THE thing to aim for in every fight.
You could however run out of your preferred type of troops, due to them being scarce(these things are random). The same applies to spells and ratings, part of the challenge of this game is to work with what you get/find, you are not in full control of that.

If you feel some troops(scarcely available) are important to you, make sure they survive. And don't worry on easy/normal that shouldn't really be a problem. Enjoy playing!

Elwin
05-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Teoretically they might end in practical not unless you play very bad, also you can use sacrifice spell if you are lacking units ..

Ryastar
05-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Plus, after a few king's quests, there are several troops available at the main castle in "hordes", which means that there is an infinite supply of them. So, unless you play absolutely terribly, lose all your troops on purpose, and refuse to do the king's quests, you cannot run out of troops.

St!gar
05-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Ah. Well, that's a relief.

Stepsongrapes
05-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Ah. Well, that's a relief.

On anything less than hard difficulty, if you lose the game do to lack of troops to buy, one of two things are happening:

1) you keep banging your head on battles tougher than you should be tackling. I'm not talking one loss every now and then, I'm talking constantly running your army up against a wall;

and/or

2) you're lacking a basic understanding of how the game mechanics work. Either in the battle mode (i.e., you keep losing fights that you should win or win them at waaaay too much cost) or in the adventure mode (i.e., you're not exploring to find sources of new troops and new paths).

In either case, I would say that you're not "getting" the game or paying attention to the game's rules. It really is hard to permanently die in this game or get yourself to a point where you can't get out of it, unless you're making several, consistent mistakes in a row.

All of this, is of course, commentary on playing easy or normal levels. My gut feel is that anyone who actually ENJOYS this type of game enough to continue on will find that being forced to start over is a rare thing, unless they started on too high of a difficulty.

Vilk
05-04-2009, 05:52 PM
The replay value of this game is very high so no worry to start first game at a too easy difficulty level. So the advice is playing at normal mode the first party then you'll hardly get problem of lack of resources.

But for some type of unit you could find them in a very small number but then you'll pick up some other unit type available in larger number.

N3MES1S
11-25-2009, 03:59 PM
It all depends on the difficulty level you are playing at. On impossible(hardest), you are more likely to loose troops, and money is very limited, so thats when getting stuck is realistic.
On easy, money is abundant, fights are easy, loosing troops is rare are would be a good starting place for learning the game if you don't like getting stuck.

The higher you raise difficulty, the more likely it is you will loose troops. Running out of troops to buy is not really the deciding factor, money will be. Avoiding casualties is possible and THE thing to aim for in every fight.
You could however run out of your preferred type of troops, due to them being scarce(these things are random). The same applies to spells and ratings, part of the challenge of this game is to work with what you get/find, you are not in full control of that.

If you feel some troops(scarcely available) are important to you, make sure they survive. And don't worry on easy/normal that shouldn't really be a problem. Enjoy playing!

not really. U can run out of troops easily on normal mode. But the big problem of this game is not the troops (cuz u have a lot to choose instead) , the problem is the money. On higher levels, u will need A LOT of money, cuz u will hae casualties on every match (and u will lose a lot of units) and u will get less reward than u waste on re-cruit. On higher levels, i think the game turns on a random-difficulty game.