PDA

View Full Version : beginner help guide

s2now
04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
hello
im havin trouble with normal difficulty
i was wondering if someone could help me list some of the basics strategy of the game
such as what skills should i get for warrior, paladin, and mage
wut unit combo for each class, wut battle mode strategy for each class

also, adventure mode is in real time, does that mean creeps get stronger by the minute, coz i always get owned by much stronger army
and how can i summon rage spirit(im playin as a warrior right now)
thanx a lot, it would really help me with my game!

Elwin
04-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Nope, enemy troops never got stronger.Rhe basic strategy is gather all what is possible without fight first, than build an army and start fight. Dont try to win with much stronger enemies at all cost, there are some on first maps which arent beatable at this part of the game.
To use rage spirits ( if u have rage box) u must talk to them and do what they want. For a warrior rage spirits will be very important.U need to play with crowd control spells like slow, haste,target, phantoms.

Razorflame
04-22-2009, 11:50 PM
here my special tip :)

first gather everything on greenwort(gold banners runes)

then buy army
kill(the throns in the garden

go get the pludgens

go talk to the dward for a quest
go to arlania and do BOTH the dwarf quest and the kings quest
go back to king and dwarf for the stuff

go to verlon forest
get the rage box:)

now kill the unit stack outside of the tent(not the strong in front of the tent)
but the one before

then lure the guard away
then buy the horseman or knights w/e he has

then go back to arlania

go to the inn and get the fang quest
do the quest and buy LEVEL 4 unit stacks from the inn(mostly 2)

but they make a hell lot of difference
now u cann clear out the whole greenwort with your horsemen/knights/level 4 from the inn and possibly buy inquisitors)

savefor the 3 gigantics stacks in greenwort
the one near the tent, the spdiers and the stack close to a bnner on a hill

^^
(i got 2 demons from the inn) which owned i cleared whole greenwort with 2 demons
and arlania too ^^
verlon was a bit harder needed to use snakes too with demon ^^

heron
04-24-2009, 12:33 AM
the formula is simple.
kill all the weak>slightly weak>matched> army first then slowly advance to the next difficulty.

also dont rush to the end boss, take your time and do all the quests which will give you gold and experience.

when you get a boat, you can avoid troops and steal all the gold and banners,etc from the pirate islands.

Saridu
04-24-2009, 06:35 AM
The above poster's third point is very true, you should jump on a boat as soon as you can (there is a boat for free) and cruise the maps picking up flags/runes. But the rest of my advice would be completely different ;)

Kill as few weak troops as possible, keep the fodder alive! Strange advice you say? (They're not worth xp to us alive!)

Well yes but there are three important reasons.

Firstly they give piddly exp, secondly you may be unlucky to find a victory item later in the game (requires 50 victories before giving bonus runes) or alternately you may find the pain skull which requires you to go through 50 fights in a weakened state before evolving into one of the best items in the game, trust me you don't want to get to the end game only to find you have nothing to fight except hard fight and have to make it through the last areas penalised.

Last important reason is the pure cheese of the sacrifice spell, you can always return to earlier areas and use those weak monster battles to replenish your troops :-P

Also I disagree with holding off the first boss battle, you want to take it as earlier as possible because the xp it gives is directly related to your level (same goes for all boss battles) There's a huge difference between the exp he gives if you are 5, 6 or 7. Level a bit with the quests, do the swamp quest (for access to Beholders and Royal snakes, very useful for taking down the boss) but I'd leave the cemetery and the other harder quests in the first areas (Frog quest,Spider bite quest,Castle assault etc) level to maybe 5 then take the boss on with +10% exp (+15 if you can afford it).

As soon as you've killed the boss go to the pirate islands and spend some time sailing around and picking up sweet leadership, do the pardon quest - the reward is a ring with +300 leadership... ;-) and if you're a mage maybe do the inheritance quest to shop for good spells (the young brother has given me sacrifice before) and the ghost ship (he almost always carries a high tier spell (phantom or on a very good day firerain!) and some undead)

You can do all of this without fighting a single battle and little shinobi ninja dodging

If you're the planning kind you could push on, finish the islands and run through the dwarf lands for Lina and more spells :) My mage hit the elven lands at level 11 (on normal) and no dryads :(

Vilk
04-25-2009, 10:06 AM
here my special tip :)
now kill the unit stack outside of the tent(not the strong in front of the tent)
but the one before

then lure the guard away
then buy the horseman or knights w/e he has

I don't think this last one really work, to get attention of this sort of pack you need go very very close and there's few chance you succeed lure a long way. For me this tent is a detail not well designed in the game. Luring this pack is almost impossible and that's a rude pack to defeat so when you do you get in the tent a ridiculous low number of units.

Elwin
04-25-2009, 10:35 AM
nah its annyoing and needs time but not imposssible

Razorflame
04-25-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't think this last one really work, to get attention of this sort of pack you need go very very close and there's few chance you succeed lure a long way. For me this tent is a detail not well designed in the game. Luring this pack is almost impossible and that's a rude pack to defeat so when you do you get in the tent a ridiculous low number of units.

this is very EASY

i found this the easiest part in the game ^^

beholders are way harder to dodge they are fast :P

anyway i will give u the advice

first get his attention wether it is a archmage or knight

when u have his attention

let him move to u CLICK ONE inch further away ( this is u X and this is the stack Y)

distance should be like this before u click

Y__X_(click) let him move again and repeat

wait until your a near the corner
then turn around and run to the tent
if you did it properly u can move back at the same time without having to dodge the mage again

else move besides the tent

and wait for him to return and when he is standing still just move around him

he is very slow so easy to dodge:D

so one more try

TENT Y__X-(click)_Y--X-(click)

and so on
^^

s2now
04-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Kill as few weak troops as possible, keep the fodder alive! Strange advice you say? (They're not worth xp to us alive!)

Well yes but there are three important reasons.

Firstly they give piddly exp, secondly you may be unlucky to find a victory item later in the game (requires 50 victories before giving bonus runes) or alternately you may find the pain skull which requires you to go through 50 fights in a weakened state before evolving into one of the best items in the game, trust me you don't want to get to the end game only to find you have nothing to fight except hard fight and have to make it through the last areas penalised.

wow great advice thanx, wish i saw this earlier
now i killed a lot of the weak stuff :(

im about to attack the bogachio castle, looks pretty tough, does anyone have any tips on how to win that fight with as little casualties as possible?
also, about the time back ability on the reaper, i heard a lot of good things about it, can someone tell me how to use it properly to gain advantage?
also which skills on the spirits of rage did you guys find most helpful?
thanks

Elwin
04-26-2009, 04:03 PM
The most helpful are of course crowd control ones. Stone wall,ice thorns,ice ball,time back are the key. ON normal you can use damage ones and they can help but on impossible they are worthless

Vilk
04-26-2009, 05:10 PM
this is very EASY

i found this the easiest part in the game ^^
LOL, in my country I'd say you are coming from Marseille, there people enjoy exaggerate a lot and more, fish they get becomes bigger and bigger as they speak about it. :grin:

Put beholders near the tent and then that is the easiest part of the game, why care how fast they are because you attract their attention from far, no need to dodge there. :)

The point isn't archmage, I always got knight here and those require to be very very close, and dodge or not it's not so easy. I wonder if this didn't change with 1.7. But ok even if last time I tried I already knew about dodge, I'll try again in my next game.

Ryastar
04-26-2009, 05:24 PM
It's pretty much always knights for me, and I've never had any problems dodging them for the early game horsemen. Just quick save first, and reload if you mess up.

Vilk
04-26-2009, 05:52 PM
The most helpful are of course crowd control ones. Stone wall,ice thorns,ice ball,time back are the key. ON normal you can use damage ones and they can help but on impossible they are worthless

The question is about Normal mode, but even at normal mode as the game progress the Spirits attack skills become less interesting.

Time back is certainly the more powerful for using it in very special tactic. Myself I don't like it much because I feel it a bit too much unbalanced and it restrains too much my choices.

It works in this way: At beginning of turn n your unit is a full pack. During this turn it fights lost some units. At turn n+1 it fights again and lost more units then at end of turn n+1 ie take care of your last unit in the turn and before use it then use callback then the unit came back at its position unit size it had at beginning of turn n. So two full fights with no lost at the end. Points to take care are: that the original position is still free of any unit. The there's a unit level limit depending of the power to use. That is the Reaper spirits is in rest because you used another of his skill then you lost the opportunity. Very powerful but tedious to use that again and again. There's quite more application of this skill like to use it in combination with sacrifice or with hypnotize and to make a spell effect last longer on a unit and so on.

Myself, for the first parts of the game:

During a long time in the beginning of the game the best spirit skill is Evil Shoal, particularely because this spirit is quite easy to get with Zerock too.
Poisonous Spit and Smashing are cool during a long beginning of the game to train those Spirits and if you don't have much better to do with your spirits.
Underground Blades is cool during the beginning and the first part of the middle game, particularly when there's many opponent units.
Otherwise, Ice Orb is great to attract enemy attacks and not only from archer, Glot's Armor has many interesting application, Chargers and Rage draining are quite cool in many case and often the best option during middle game than any attack skill but those of the Reaper.
Ice Torns and Stone Wall have many interesting context of application.
Gizmo is a very special skill, fun to use if you don't bother to increase the random part in your fights. Excellent choice to train the spirit and often in middlegame worth more than attack skills. A choice to think of for a battle that is long.

For the middle game:

Ice Orb, Glot's Armor, Ice Torns and Stone Wall continue to be very interesting options with many possibilities.
Gizmo can be still a weird but interesting choice.
Underground Blades continue to be interesting during some time but less and less as middlegame progress.
Black Hole and Soul Draining continue to be interesting as attack during a large part of the middlegame. Black Hole is is when there are many enemy packs and Soul Draining when there's one big pack but also living (no undead).

For the End game, it would be more:

Ice Orb, Glot's Armor, Ice Torns, Stone Wall, Soul Draining and obviously Time Back.
Gizmo if you feel ok to be weird and perhaps for long battles.
Black Hole in some rare case, clearly not at all if you abuse of Time Back.

I never trained much Rockfall and Poison Cloud. I quote Rockfall can cover a large area and won't hurt your units in this area so it could be an interesting option attack up to the first part of the middlegame.

Vilk
04-26-2009, 06:12 PM
It's pretty much always knights for me, and I've never had any problems dodging them for the early game horsemen. Just quick save first, and reload if you mess up.

Lol sure, see bellow, attraction lost, quote how close it is. :) How many reload?

Ryastar
04-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Dude, I can tell from that screenshot that you've moved it far enough. All you have to do is run around it and you're golden. There's no need for that sarcasm.

Vilk
04-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Dude, I can tell from that screenshot that you've moved it far enough. All you have to do is run around it and you're golden. There's no need for that sarcasm.
Cough cough sorry for the sarcasm, I was looking at you almost like a "friend" so the excessive familiarity... and well the series of little sarcasm of Razorflame caught me it their flow. :grin:

Turn around in such path? I know turn around for dodging but for attracting and in such area... Well perhaps you mean moving in diagonals, ok I should try that.

Razorflame
04-27-2009, 01:48 PM
i wasn't sarcastic u got that then u got me wrong
i never save before i go to the tent

i know i can do it in 1 turn

i also know those HORSEMEN or knights can become very handy :)
^^

Saridu
04-28-2009, 12:10 AM
wow great advice thanx, wish i saw this earlier
now i killed a lot of the weak stuff :(

im about to attack the bogachio castle, looks pretty tough, does anyone have any tips on how to win that fight with as little casualties as possible?
also, about the time back ability on the reaper, i heard a lot of good things about it, can someone tell me how to use it properly to gain advantage?
also which skills on the spirits of rage did you guys find most helpful?
thanks

It's okay about slaying the weaklings just try to limit your slaughter :grin:

The castle can be tricky, depends on what spawns (it's usually a large bunch of thorns or two stack of skellie archers) but there is always two stacks of Royal snakes and a large stack of normal snakes. Also depends on what you've managed to pick up and your class.

Generally it helps if you have royal snakes yourself (not the end of the world), you can substitute swordsmen if you don't, also a good stack of archers helps.

If you're a mage and manage to get initiaitve (the above mentioned Royal snakes or some other fast unit) you know what to do super fireball (or double if you're being eating all your runes), they're nicely packed together.

If you're a warrior, it helps if you left a mob around the castle around to get your rage up (or quaff a potion of rage) and hammer them with an evil shoal or smashing sword or rockfall whatever works best. Get one or two tanks up front to deal with the snakes, (if you have trap might want to slow those snakes down, the map often has obstacles that you can use as choke points). A lot depends on your setup but it definitely doable (on normal!!!)

Like Elwin said on normal most of the spirits are very useful but later game (and hard plus) the non damage ones and the crowd control become more important. I personally like the ice ball, it has two uses, one as crowd control - drop it right next to archers, ai hates that and will almost always shoot if first before your meaty units ;)

Second use is the wrecking ball mode, wait for an large stack of archers or mage to go, or wait one of your fast units (like snakes or dragons), when it comes to the end of the turn, summon the ball at the other side of the map in a straight line (as many hexes apart as possible) and fire away, the ball has a charge effect and can do thousands of damage at a good distance, great for taking out turrets.

I'm not a fan of time back, never used it :eek: but soul draining does a percent of enemy's health as damage, very useful end game when the ai send thousands of fire dragonflies your way...