PDA

View Full Version : How do you make AI fight each other in men of war game editior?

reece150
04-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi guys i have just discovered the game editor (awesome tool) but can you make AI fight each other? or make men fight ?

Thanks p.s im new here :D

BritheBrit
04-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Is the editor easy to use ?

Prowlinger
04-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Well I was playing around with it at lunch... yeah it is easy so far :)

You can place units and hit F2 I think... and actually play with the units as in the game real time...

Compared to other map editors... it is very well designed and easy to figure out.

I do not know the complexity of what all is included to make maps but it looks pretty user friendly.

Zeke Wolff
04-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi guys i have just discovered the game editor (awesome tool) but can you make AI fight each other? or make men fight ?

Yes, you can make the AI fight each other in the editor. Just load up any existing map (or make one yourself). Place two tanks on the map at a slight distance from each other (but still not to far away, they must be able to see each other). Then pick a crew for each tank and place the crew next to each tank. Then pick one tank and its crew and look for a line in the menu to the right which says "Player". Click in this field and choose Player One for this tank and crew. Do the same for the other tank and crew but let this one be Player Two.

Then hit F1. Press key "0" on the numerical keyboard and pick the crew and order them to enter their tank. Press key "1" on the num. keyboard and order the other crew to do the same.

Save (under a new name, you donĀ“t want to overwrite the original map). Then in the lower right corner of the screen, press the button which is labeled "Start". If the tanks are close enough, they will now start firing at each other. If you want to take command of any of them, press either "0" or "1". To stop the battle, press "Start" (it has now changed its name to "Finish") button again.

~Zeke.

BritheBrit
04-16-2009, 09:59 PM
I'll have to go out and buy it then lol.

Prowlinger
04-17-2009, 04:05 PM
I think I had the same problem and discovered I put ENG (english) and USA teams on the map... so they were friendly at each other.

Be sure to play 1 side as GER (germans)...

:)

Using the editor can be tricky... Wish there were docs on here like there was on the DMS site... (which I cannot get to here from work)...

Cyrussm
04-17-2009, 07:17 PM
hey about this, how can I choose one of the sides? Because I'm trying to make a sort of random battle, but I can't make myself to control the soldiers, only the AI

siicis
05-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi guys. I got to say this game is awsome and the editor tool is too if you know how to use it. I could help but i need some help first.
I can't navigate through the map in editor. I can't navigate through map with mouse and not with shortcut keys. Can someone help me? If you do i could help people with editing. I learn prety fast with other game developed maps. I don't know everything but i know something.

Madf11
05-26-2009, 03:09 PM
well, the problem with this is that that you probably haven't started the game (bottom right START).

When in start mode the AI reacts to each other, but when in ready mode the AI doesn't issue any orders. Place units in F3 mode. Make them diffrent teams, under players F3 - > F9. Place units and then press start.

siicis
05-28-2009, 04:22 PM
guys why i cant make two enemys in planes which fly around and "SHOT"
i can make them fly around but when i put on triggers air_attack and i order it to attac enemy plane they just crash. maybe i use wrong plane model?

wazguy232
04-03-2010, 03:55 PM
mine dont crash, but i have a similar issue. :cry:
i can make them fly at whatever altitude i want but they never attack each over, i have also tried this with air to ground

KnightFandragon
04-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Air to Ground you have to Direct control planes or they only fly around in circles. To make ground forces fight each other you gotta set your units to Controller: User and the enemy units to AI then in the lower right corner there is a start button, click it and you go into Sim mode and then the troops fight =D

UnseenOni
09-14-2011, 04:16 AM
Ok i know this thread is a little old, but i wanted to see if anyone can answer this, I'm wanting to play a battle on one of the MP maps, but i dont want to play against other human players, i dont have that great of a connection for stable online play. So is there a way i can use the editor to add AI factions to the maps so that i can play against them? Kinda like Company of Heroes Skirmishes. Any help will be appreciated.

E'dollo
03-18-2012, 02:28 AM
How does one make units get into tanks?

KnightFandragon
03-25-2012, 10:22 PM

Do you mean how do you script them to get in the tanks? Or do you mean how do you get men on the other team in their tanks at all?

Idk how to script it but you set the tanks and men to Team 1 for example, you simply hit 1 on the numpad and it lets you take control ofthe unit....dont forget to make sure you have the proper team selected before you click vehicles...it crashes on me all the time when I do that.

samedi
11-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Using the mission properties (f3) select player 1 and player 2 and in relation set them as enemies. now when you place units for both players 1 and 2, they will automatically fight eachother.

samedi
11-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Use the "board" trigger, you select the mid of the tank you want to board, and put it in vehicle, and then in the selector, you choose either the MID numbers of the men you wish to board or their tags, and when started they should board the vehicle

KnightFandragon
11-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Hmm, Samedi, I will have to give that a wack....there is so much id loveto make in my missions but do not know how. boarding tanks is one...awesome.

Could really make an ambush mission work then yeah?

samedi
11-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Hmm, Samedi, I will have to give that a wack....there is so much id loveto make in my missions but do not know how. boarding tanks is one...awesome.

Could really make an ambush mission work then yeah?

I'm very good with the editor and triggers, there is really a lot you can do with it and the mission possibilities and scenarios are endless, The board trigger is in the actor category of the trigger list

KnightFandragon
11-02-2012, 02:16 PM
So Samedi, you also know how to work that mask and unmask feature?

I was wanting to make a downed pilot mission, he starts guarded by the germans and I come get him. He starts as a neutral figure to both teams so the Germans dont shoot him, but then once the "clear crash site" objective would be clear the pilot would then unmask to player 0, which would be me....but how exactly do I do that? Ive not done anything with those so far...

ive got tons of stuff id love to know how to do to really make my missions more interesting.

Another, is how do I get fire and smoke fx to stay on the map? They seem to just go away after a fewminutes...but I see them decorating some maps..coming from burning vehicles and what not .

Also, Samedi, how do i make it so that troops will disappear once they get to a certain way point or zone?

I have a mission where I want, at a set point, for a large patrol to enter the board, they follow the way points and then poof at a given point on the opposite end of the board. I know about waypoints and zones but is there a trigger or tag I have to apply?

Also, on all the missions where my soldiers are assigned the "hidden" tag, when I save the game and reload it, all those troops with the hidden tag are gone....i use hidden for reinforcements off map....is there someway to make it so I can save the game and them still be there? I have tried remove tag hidden triggers but that crashes the game.

Also, do you know how to make reinforcements tab like in the Zeelow heights mission? I tried to make that once and got it working, only I couldnt get the score to actually work...

samedi
11-03-2012, 04:34 PM
To make effects stay on the map they are specific entities selectable in the entity section,

Make a new trigger called effects and in its commands make a loop function and set it to around 9999, then create another loop function in that loop function set this to about 20,
Then in it place "spawn" in the scene section and then the entity (i dont know the specific entity for smoke/fire) but if done, there should be lots of smoke in that area also make the waypoints circular area take up the entire place you want the smoke to cover.
Now to stop it from disappearing thats what the delay function is for, set it so that every around 10 minutes, the trigger spawns new smoke to replace the vanishing one.

For conditions none are required, as the smoke/fire is scenery.

loop 9999
---loop (55)
------spawn entity
---delay (600)

To make units disappear when they reach a waypoint click on the waypoint at which you want them to disappear at and in the trigger section either select delete and save it, or to be more complicated, go to entity-state and make it inactive in the trigger

I think that's a technical error regarding the hidden tags, i've never seen that happening before

And to make the score work in seelow heights you need to make it so that at least, for every enemy you kill you get some reinforcement points.. this will take a bit of scripting

1: Make a new variable in mission variables (press f3 then f9) then in vars make one called killcount
2: make a new trigger calledCOUNTER and in its conditions select entities, leave all unspecified sections blank and then in

player, pick the enemy,
zone: if you have any specific zone you want them to be in select it
State: select dead
count: select greater than, and then click on value and there should be a drop down with your variable, select it

NOW COMMANDS,
1st, go to set_i, in generic and select your variable (KILLCOUNT) and make it so that it adds +1 in value
2nd: Make one called objective_progress and in the add section put 1
3rd: make another called reinforcement, and then go to score_add, and put in whatever amount you want,
4th: go to trigger, and in it select the trigger you have just made (eg this one CALLED COUNTER) and don't tick ON, and save it, this resets the trigger so it can be set again

What is happening here is that every time a soldier is shot dead by your forces, the game will add X amount to the reinforcement score.

For your pilot mission i'm not sure about that because the unmask variables cant be made by triggers and are predefined by the game somehow, im sorry i dont know how to do this. alternatively, you could:

make a trigger that deletes the one that is neutral and replaces him instantly with a clone that is set to your player team
give one of your men the 'recruit property" enabling them to recruit allies,go to the ables section on an entity when its information comes up. so by selecting your unit then clicking on the pilot, he will transfer to your team.

KnightFandragon
11-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Excellent, thank you for that. Next time im in MoW, I will have to give some of this a wack.

Ok, another question, is there a way to make the "height" tool a square? It seems so hard to make a square, or to make anything level again once I make it uneven. I have seen the water in Tobruk, its so square and even, yet my maps are so broken up and hilly. I know about shift and what not but making square areas...

Also, how do I blend terrain? I somehow did it on my first map, but am unsure just how I did it.

Also, in F2 mode, there are all those colored lines? How do I move them? Is that what I use inorder to make my maps bigger or smaller?

samedi
11-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Excellent, thank you for that. Next time im in MoW, I will have to give some of this a wack.

Ok, another question, is there a way to make the "height" tool a square? It seems so hard to make a square, or to make anything level again once I make it uneven. I have seen the water in Tobruk, its so square and even, yet my maps are so broken up and hilly. I know about shift and what not but making square areas...

Also, how do I blend terrain? I somehow did it on my first map, but am unsure just how I did it.

Also, in F2 mode, there are all those colored lines? How do I move them? Is that what I use inorder to make my maps bigger or smaller?

I dont think there's a way to make it into a square but the way they got it so fine and squarey is that they shrunk the brush to its lowest possible size then used that to fine tune the edges

To move the coloured lines simply click on them and drag them back or forth, and then press set to finish the new placement.

KnightFandragon
11-04-2012, 07:38 PM
What part of the lines do I grab? I for the life of me can never move them, just like blending terrain, I somehow got them to move ONE time on one of my maps, but I have no idea how I did it and have never since replicated it.

Is there a button I have to first hit to unlock them?

samedi
11-06-2012, 06:59 PM
What part of the lines do I grab? I for the life of me can never move them, just like blending terrain, I somehow got them to move ONE time on one of my maps, but I have no idea how I did it and have never since replicated it.

Is there a button I have to first hit to unlock them?

scroll over the lines until the cursor turns green, this indicates that you can move it about, you may have to try all of the lines first but usually the moveable one is the one in the middle, try and click onto it and drag it.

It takes some time and practice, i had the same problem before

KnightFandragon
11-07-2012, 12:52 AM
I have had it turn green, I tried once again the other night, nothing. Does it only move outward, away from the map edge? It wont get any smaller then the dimensions of the map?

samedi
11-07-2012, 09:27 PM
It should be able to move inwards as well as outwards, are you keeping the mouse clicked down when you drag it?

when the pointer turns green click and hold the mouse down and drag it to the desired place, when you let go it shouldnt move anymore. im not quite sure what else you could do if this doesnt work,

The light blue line defines the camera clipping and where you can position it
The Yellow line indicates the playable area where units can stay in
and the purple line i think is where the fog begins.

KnightFandragon
11-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Samedi, do you happen to know why in my mod the Mantlets on tanks do not function as any sort of armor? When im shooting tanks, the mantlet offers no protection, which file am I missing that would make them work correctly? Ive got all the tank_inc files....