PDA

View Full Version : Newb needs help ^^

bakani
04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I only got started with this game and its awesome. But iam haveing dilemma about what units to take.

Atm i have green emerald dragons. black dragons,bowman, elf archer(not hunter) and inqusitiors.

I was searching on forum but didnt find solution to my problem.

Iam playeing on normal with mage 24 lvl, and Iam in deathland atm. I killed general (main q, battle with crystal) and its was easier to kill him than those dragons that wander around (black dragons). And I want to kill them but not so that half of my army is dead after single battle.

My att/def/int is 10/21/24, and i use hammer i got from dwarven king because its the only weapon that gives me att. I also have greatdruid staff and archmage staff but i have plenty of int (or do I?).

I`ve read tactic with skeleton archers and dragon arrows, and here is my problem. I have regalia of true faith (4 def, 800 leadership but -1 morale of undead) and i dont have any spare regalia that comes near it( i have +100 leadership and grifins regalia). I have bow that gives +3 dmg to archers and +15% physical dmg and mind talent tolernace lvl 2.

Are those skeleton archers worth of disposing my regalia?

My wife is Neoka ( elf princess).
I have that weapon that gives +1 poison damage
I tried with fairies/sprites but without angas ruby(i cant find it in my inventory but iam sure i had it) and i find they are not dragon killers or maybe witout ring its not worth it?

I also have knights in "horde" since i finished main q. Maybe i should use them?

Elwin
04-13-2009, 11:38 AM
24 int is definetly not plenty, its not much for a mage, for black dragons on mage i was mostly using traps, they love to burn 2 units if they can so its easy to predict where they will land, also put your archers and inquisitors behind lina's ice thorns ( if yu dont have tactics skill might be a little problem) blackies will ignore it and attack only those whoch are outside( your dragons) Good unit against dragons are demon or archdemons since their fire immunity. Personaly i put offf that banner for skells but u can also dragon arrow on bowmen for normal difficulty should be enough to kill the stack.
And spries/lake fairies sucks against black dragons even with anga's ruby since dragon are magic immune and sprite damage type is magic and is vurnuable to fire

Zonc
04-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Personaly i put offf that banner for skells but u can also dragon arrow on bowmen for normal difficulty should be enough to kill the stack.

Too bad since skellys are twice as good as bowman, even more with +dmg items and undead skills (+7 from DC is plenty)
Currently this is my 4th playthrough and haven't found better combo than skellys + DA against dragons.

Elwin
04-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I know bowman sucks i get rid off them very fast on early beggining from the game. That banner is quite good and if he doesnt have any other to replace it, its quite hard choice ^^ i had such choice also .. choose the skeels of course xd . On my third game (impossible)i found like 300 skells in darion and i was playing with those 300 trough whole game up to land of the dead whan i could finally get full stack.Even i had 300 of 800+ available i still kept them since they still were quite better than anything else ^^ But on normal mage ( my first game) i never used skell archers and i deal with them easy with traps

Ryastar
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Your main problem here is that you are trying to attack these stacks too early. You really should just wait until after you return from demonis. Then you will have less of a problem killing those stacks.

Elwin
04-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Not sure about that one, did it in that way on normal and hard quite easily, only on impossible i somehow skipped them and went to demonis first.In fact its true that they will be easier after demonis

bakani
04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
TY all for help, as Elwin said its about trap but i found that ice snake spell is very good too.

Ive done that tournament (1/3 units got killed) and got dragons sword (nice stuff) - thats where I found that ice snake 3 is very good for slowing them down. Ice snake on unit near dragons seems to work.
Instead of inquisitors Ive put knights as reserve tank, and some heavy dmg in round 2 since i put my dragons near enough for them and opposing dragons are slowed, or maybe they are not (i dont see buff on them) but if i cast that spell they simply dont move as much.
I went to do red dragons q and killed them with no loses. :)

As for the banner, Ive checked literally every shop and I all can find is +100 leadership. Oh the randomness... Along the way I even found gladiator sword (10 might runes after 50 victories)and with its runes Ill be able to take tactics :)

Ill replace bowmans with skeleton archers to see how it goes.

Till then.

Elwin
04-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Never tried this with icesnakes probably it works. Unless there are only blackies :D that happened to me few times, for example book of death had 5 stacks of blackies ~~

bakani
04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
So I replaced bowmans with skeleton archers, not useing banner and I see now that they are way better.
Married Xeona and Ive put that elven bow and now they just one shot things in demonis :) even without dragon arrows.

My att/def/int now are 17/19/24 because i find that int is not such a great stat because I cant nuke things like I did, instead Iam forced into more warrior like tactics where my units deal way more dmg than my spells. Only usage for mage is that I can use my spellbook twice per turn, 3 times in combat.

Next game I will definitively play with warrior.

Elwin
04-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Just your int is too low for that , if u manage to get 35+ and some +% spell damage items it realy rocks. Most of my spells were doing 6-7k damage so it was devastating on normal( it wasnt highest i could get, i had fenora with + mana childs,with xeona should be few point int more) also high int is quite usefull for warrior style play, since your spells duration is much longer, value of phantom or pain mirror is also waay higer, (like my warrior had pain mirror with 130% and my mage with 250%). As i notice there are clearly two ways: go stright for high int or focus mostly on your units screwing int, medicore int like 24 i find kinda bad and not much differ then 15 int since damage spells are too low for kill and also your units are weaker.