PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate challenge?

Hento
04-10-2009, 07:34 AM
I plan on finishing the game without any losses on hard using only human army(main units knights and horseman), class warrior(currently with attack 14, defense 17).Units would always be archmages, guardsmen or archers, inquisitors, knights and horsemen.

It takes a really thoughtful approach but so far it's working, I'm at level 10 now and haven't lost a single unit..

Usually I employ very offensive strategy, so far I use horseman to charge up at the ranged units in the first round thus disabling their ranged attack, giving them glot's armor or magic shield and stoneskin.

So, I intend to exploit the might abilities as much as possible, like combat preparation, tactics and onslaught.

Later when I get the teleport spell I will teleport knights in front of the enemy and use its devastating circle attack ability which will always hit at least three units.

Do you think this main strategy is viable in the long run?
Of course I will use all kinds of spells, I already have phantom spell.

Hento
04-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Btw it's funny how it takes much more real intellect to play with warrior than it is to have higher ingame intellect as a mage.

Elwin
04-10-2009, 09:31 AM
The problem is you have only a few knights and horseman on begining fastly you will have much to less of them than you can have, its true they are horde in kronberg but its in later game.

Zonc
04-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Do you think this main strategy is viable in the long run?

No. Human units suck badly, they have no useful special abilities and damage output is less than average. Their only advantage is good avaibility, so no problem in reinforcements.
Archimage - damage per leadership is pathetic
Bowman - skelly archer is much better, frost arrow sometimes useful
Guardsmen/Swordsman - nothing special
Knight - slow, low initiative = useless
Priest - damage output even worse than Archimage
Inqusitor - the only unit worth interest, decent range and damage, resurrection and holy anger ability
Peasants - auite good at offence, but slow, low initiative, and poor at defence

Hento
04-10-2009, 01:04 PM
It doesn't matter if knights have low initiative, with onslaught they already have 5 and later they will have 6 when I teleport them in front of enemy units to to circle attack, even now I get more than 1500 damage per circle attack.

Maybe you just don't know how to play, I already explained everything and it works so far, I just conquered Lucky James' castle with no losses using 90 guardsmen, 100 archers, 24 inquisitors, 18 knights and 22 archmages.

Vulture
04-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Lucky James' Castle is actually not a point where to measure your strategy's strenght's and weaknesses. The first stack of thorns outside Kronberg after finishing the training cellar is more challenging...

By the way I would like to let you know that "Maybe you just don't know how to play" is not an appropriate way to argue on these forums (neither is it anywhere btw). Especially when not knowing who you adress with it since it makes it rather silly than just offensive.

During early and middle game your setup of course works fine, even on hard. But you will definetely face serious trouble in high-mid and endgame with 2 useless und 2 below average units and way too few range power in the setup. Of course, if you see this as fun and challenging and by the fact you're already playing there's no need to tell you "that strat sucks, you'll never win" since you won't listen anyway :>

So go for it and tell us how you're doing, good luck.

Elwin
04-10-2009, 01:26 PM
I am not pro player but i cant see how it could be done without losing any unit, faster or later there will be some annoying stacks with which loses are unavoidable.Especialy with human .. I played paladin on hard and didnt have much loses but still i had some and i was using way more powerfull units ( demon + timeback works way better than knight)
Also agree that lucky James is not a deal ...If u manage to not lose any in land of the dead it wil be something ^^

Hento
04-10-2009, 04:29 PM
You forget about morale issue, I already have good moral on knights, horsemen, guardsmen and swordsman which is additional 20% attack and defense, then when I get that regalia for moral on all humans or another item for wife...also I have silver rapier which gives 30% attack against undead.

I think with second tactics and mass speed I could destroy half the enemy in first turn.

Elwin
04-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Morale u say, sprites and lake fairys with anga = 3 morale, xeona + pentagram and demons got morale 3 too, had also 2x marshal buttons so inqis were morale 2 ^^. I had quite high morale army as well . Well if u do this it will be realy nice but it will not be easy
And the worst thing with this no losing army are battles against heroes, especialy haas incernations, they love to mass geyser and then restoring losess is hard or takes muuuch time.

Zonc
04-10-2009, 06:05 PM
I think with second tactics and mass speed I could destroy half the enemy in first turn.

I would like to see that when you get 2000 sprites, 20 ancient ants, 100 unicorns + some random middle level unit in elven land

Hento
04-10-2009, 09:00 PM
I just don't like to have any other units in my army...human units, especially horsemen and knights are the best looking units in the game and I want to go all the way with them.

It's too bad that you don't have a clear division between races/factions like in HOMM5.

Leind
04-10-2009, 10:56 PM
An All human army is surely not the optimal setup but he is looking for a challenge, not the best all-around army.

Getting no losses is possible if you up your magic skills decently and find resurrection / sacrifice. You will need a lot of mana for this to works though.

Horsemen & Knights are Ok, Archmage are actually decent damage dealer with frenzy on.

Archer sucks are they have a very big leadership requirement for what you get -ie 50 l. is bigger than some lvl3 units-.

Actually with Inquisitor & Priest the land of the Dead should be quite easy.
Ellinia would be more difficult as it the part of the game when stacks starts getting really big and numerous, and you can't rely on dryads to sleep all low level stacks.

You should include marauder in your army, or sea dog (although sea dog are neutral they still are human), they are actually way more useful than the guardsmen