PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifice and Ghosts

Wasabi Newt
03-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Sacrifice seems like a great spell to use with those multiplying cursed ghosts to keep thier leadership amount from going over what you can control.

Question I have though, is there a way to sacrifice a smaller amount than even level 1 sacrifice? I want to keep my ghosts managable without killing a whole bunch of them.

Seems my spellpower is too high for it's own good.

jwallstone
03-17-2009, 03:44 PM
At one point I was also using cursed ghosts and sacrifice to boost my other troops, and if I needed a smaller sacrifice, I had Archmages use their Magic Shield on the ghosts. It cuts the damage in half.

One bug to note: with magic shield, when you're casting sacrifice, hovering over the unit to be sacrificed will display the correct damage that will be dealt (i.e. it will be halved), but when you hover over the unit you want to grow, the number will NOT take into account Magic Shield (i.e. halve it yourself rounding down to know how many additional units you are getting).

Wasabi Newt
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Hmm, I just tried this and it doesn't seem to work for me. They still take full damage even with the shield on. They change this in a patch maybe?

Ah well, this will likely only be an issue at the start until I get enough leadership for a larger army.

Right now I'm in Freedom Isles and have a high intellect, low leadership mage. I got lucky and found some Black Knights in a tavern and sacrifice scroll in a chest in combat. :) So I decided I wanted to try an all undead army at the beginning.

Only way I can reinforce my knights and vamps though is sacrifice, and it was killing half my ghost stack.

Guess I'll find some living fodder and take the losses. :evil:

Zonc
03-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Press CTRL or SHIFT to switch through spell's levels.

Ryastar
03-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Zonc, he said that his problem was with LEVEL 1 sacrifice.

travelingoz
03-18-2009, 12:41 PM
There is only one way to modify damage of level one spells and that is by lowering your intellect.

So if you know you're going to neede a small troop top up, then take off a high intellect artifact befor the battle.

Stepsongrapes
03-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Sacrifice seems like a great spell to use with those multiplying cursed ghosts to keep thier leadership amount from going over what you can control.

Question I have though, is there a way to sacrifice a smaller amount than even level 1 sacrifice? I want to keep my ghosts managable without killing a whole bunch of them.

Seems my spellpower is too high for it's own good.

Depending on the difficulty you're playing, one option that has worked for me is to combine sacrifice use with the reserve spot. I find this easier than trying to "tune" sacrifice to just the right amount of loss/gain.

I commonly use a "designated" sacrifice mob used to replenish other stacks; the designated mob is kept topped off from a reserve.

Every once in a while, I would end a battle by overloading the mob (above my leadership threshold) using sacrifice. The overload is transferred to the reserve.

Difficulty affects the limits to which you can exceed your leadership, without the mob turning hostile, so this doesn't work for all difficulty levels.