PDA

View Full Version : Spells/Mage question.

OGKingsBounty92
03-13-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm playing a whimpy Mage for the first time and so far so good. You save alot of $$$ with a Mage since he sits back and hits. My question is, how many spells can I learn, not carry in my book, but learn. I don't want to find out later that I can't learn that great Hypno spell because I'm over my limit on learned spells.

aghiuta
03-13-2009, 05:12 PM
There is no limit to the spells you learn, only to the scrolls you can carry and still be able to buy new ones.
For the first time learn all spells so you can play with them. In advanced games learn only the spells you need because crystals might be a problem.

OGKingsBounty92
03-13-2009, 06:36 PM
thanks man.

azsportsfan
03-13-2009, 07:38 PM
There is no limit to the spells you learn, only to the scrolls you can carry and still be able to buy new ones.
For the first time learn all spells so you can play with them. In advanced games learn only the spells you need because crystals might be a problem.

Not might, will. I can't stand playing against the Demonesses who can just transport your ranged troops into the middle of the opposing melee fighters regardless of leadership. So, mass Magic Shackles is the ticket - as long as you have those 20 crystals to spare. Just a small example. :)

Leind
03-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Early game with the whole dragonfly wings trade, it's easy to get a feeling of abundance. But late game the crystal supply don't follow the cost increase of spells. So far when I'm not sure if I will need a new spell, I keep it as a scroll in my spellbook, as anyway you can learn it during a battle.

If I remember correctly you need 50 crystals to upgrade Armageddon from lvl2 to 3. It the most expensive I met so far.

thorndike
03-17-2009, 02:39 PM
I ran out the crystals late in the game. So make sure, do NOT scribe or upgrade unnecessary spells. For me, I did not get the "resurrect" spell until at Murok. And by that time, I didn't have enough crystals to upgrade it all the way to level III

Amidamaru86
04-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Spells that are good to upgrade:

Fireball
Ice Snake
Firestorm
Sheep
Blind
Hipnotyze
Ressurection
Sacrifice
Slow (optional)
Pain mirror (optional)
Battle Cry (optional)

Also you need around 80 mana on impossible only, the rest should be bonuses from items, in the end you should have like 140 mana(with items) +6 regeneration each turn

Vilk
04-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Spells that are good to upgrade:

Fireball
Ice Snake
Firestorm
Sheep
Blind
Hipnotyze
Ressurection
Sacrifice
Slow (optional)
Pain mirror (optional)
Battle Cry (optional)

Also you need around 80 mana on impossible only, the rest should be bonuses from items, in the end you should have like 140 mana(with items) +6 regeneration each turn
This list is a bit limited, I'm feeling it's the best magic system I ever seen in term of balance, meaning that ton of spells are great to use in some cases.

When playing a mage a priority could be the Alchemy skill, when it is at the top it half the cost of crystal that's huge in comparison with other hero classes. I definitely second the care to have about crystal use, but with Alchemy on max asap I'd suggest more: Learn all spell at level 1. Don't learn all spells at level 2 but only good selected choice. Learn only few spells at level 3.

My own list of spells that are my favorite candidates for level 3:

Resurrection (target units level 4)
Demon Slayer (mass) keep for later game
Hypnosis (target units level 4 and bigger pack)
Magic Spring (for the best efficiency for this handy spell)
Haste (mass) if you plan use some slow army
Magic Shackles (mass)
Precision (mass)
Bless (mass) worth more for some troops to have an idea of the gain don't compare the min and max but average and max.
Weakness (mass)
Gift (target units level 5)
Battle Cry (mass)
Blind/Sheep/Pygmy (target units level 4) all 3 are quite close and get one or two is handy. Sheep costs much more mana but disable the troop and make it easy to attack, Pygmy cost less mana and can allow kills much more, Blind cost less mana than Sheep but don't change unit type.
Lightning (the point of this attack spell is that some items increase its power unlike other attack spells and if I'm not wrong unlike fire/poison/cold no units has a special protection against it. The negative point is that at level 3 you can't always use it without to hit your own units so you need at least one other attack spell to the max)

Clearly all are optional and many other worth to be increased to level 3, as already mentioned you need restrain your choice. those I listed are only my favorite candidate to be perhaps increased at level 3 with a mage with at least int 15 (to have spells duration increased by 1).

About the mage hero mana level, 80 for impossible? Then I wonder how low at normal. For a mage the Higher Magic skill is an incredible skill but it requires ton of mana and then a good option seems to pick mana very often during mage level up.

Razorflame
04-25-2009, 11:34 AM
bah al u guys forgot the spell TRAP
this spell is great:)

and slow is very good too

and furthermore FEAR is total ownage:)

it's cheaper than sheep
(sheep cost like 40 mana IIRC()

while fear would be like 20(IIRC)

Vilk
04-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Yes Slow is a must, since I get a fight where I regret deeply not have it I take care get this one asap. But I don't feel it's a so good choice for level 3 spell, level 2 should be fine. But level 3 is an interesting option anyway.

Fear description focus on its limitation, and that make me underestimate it, it has a quite lower mana cost and quite longer time length, I'll definitely look at it closely. Typical example is two huge pack of opponent low level units, cast on one, level 3 last 4 turns and cost 10 mana. Excellent alternative even for level 3 spells.

For trap, I see it quote so often, but I feel it a little frustrating when you fail make a good prediction (if you don't replay the fight) that I'd temper it. In fact its good point is less the damages than stopping the opponent unit. In this point of view, even level 1 spell could be enough and mainly in some very limited case where you know you setup a tempting attack for the AI.

Razorflame
04-27-2009, 01:44 AM
oh fit of energy is quite a nice spell too for royal snakes :)
espcially when u have a huge stack of royal snakes:)
they just own ^^

but then again this is more for a mage who can double cast in a turn:)

Vilk
04-27-2009, 01:21 PM
For me, I'm probably wrong, Fit of energy is a very cool spell but level one to attack a second time during same turn. Above I feel it's a waste. Also why only those snakes? They are cool but this spell can be useful for any unit hitting hard, during second attack most units won't counter attack anyway.

Razorflame
04-27-2009, 01:52 PM
because royal snakes have poison damage:)

furthermore
a snake can be fast

it will most likely attack FIRST in the next turn

so think about it 3 attacks from 1 royal snake:P
^^
+poison damage
is hardcore damage :D

Vilk
04-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Common there's quite many other units you can quote, you don't need royal snakes to use efficiently this spell. :)

Elwin
04-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, better on skell archers :> and poisons in Legend suck ....

Razorflame
04-27-2009, 06:29 PM
well i prefer them on snakes since they are fast and such:)

archer is slow ^^

Elwin
04-27-2009, 07:24 PM
who cares that? he just need shoot, and one shoot make wonders

Razorflame
04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
snakes do more damage:)

Elwin
04-27-2009, 07:37 PM
snakes will not take down 20 dragons with one hit :> I know they are great but not as much as skell

Razorflame
04-27-2009, 07:44 PM
well then u must have around 2k skelli's then:P

the leadership requirement of skelli's own big time though ^^

Vilk
04-27-2009, 11:15 PM
In fact for long range Thorn Hunter has a better ratio Leadership/damage. It has also a better attack but Skeleton Archer and this Thorn has a so low attack that even with bonus, against dragon it won't change anything.

Undead has more bonus there and there but the Blackthorn crown could compensate as it double damages... But as their initiative is lower particularely because you can increase those of undead more easily and this could change all.

I haven't yet get the opportunity to use Skeleton Archer during a long time, never get enough of them but for a short time, unlike Thorn Hunter. I could have use sacrifice to build a pack and reserve but well.

Razorflame
04-28-2009, 12:08 AM
about sacrifice can u get more more units by using sacrifice than u first had?

for example i have 10 demons but my leadership is able to keep 40

can i just sacrifice peasants to increase my demons?
^^

Elwin
04-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Yes

Razorflame
04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
ahh now that is something i was missing haha:)

i thought i had a limit like resusurrection ^^

never get above your normal limit u had when the fight started:)

this is gonna save me a hell lot of trips of back and forth xD
^^

Vilk
04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
ahh now that is something i was missing haha:)

i thought i had a limit like resusurrection ^^

never get above your normal limit u had when the fight started:)

this is gonna save me a hell lot of trips of back and forth xD
^^
That requires a large amount of mana but about the limit generally you use this during last turns of a battle and then it doesn't matter if you lost control of a unit pack.

About lost of control, there's two of them, one the pack wanderer or attack enemy randomly. Another the unit pack attack everything including you. In this case the health bar is red.

Razorflame
04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
i know about that but that doesn't matter to me :)
i just use my gosu maths to calculate how much i need to :)
^^
i will use time back to give my stack no casualties har har! :)

Vilk
04-28-2009, 07:42 PM
In fact sacrifice cost much more than resurrect in term of mana/number resurrected and I won't mention using Cardinal when you have some in your troops and your troops get bigger. So prefer resurrect and Cardinal if you can before looking at sacrifice. But with charmed units and enough mana then obviously sacrifice is better.

If with sacrifice you get a unit with red bar the fight doesn't end and you'll have to fight the red unit until it come back to normal state. That point is perhaps linked to int level like is a troop that become crazy after a wolf attack.

Yes the key point is to remember what's your current max for each pack.

Razorflame
04-28-2009, 08:03 PM
gonna use it to get more demons with my warrior:P
then i sweep the lands with demons ^^

Vilk
04-30-2009, 06:45 AM
It's weird but despite I post here, I get stuck in the crystal problem with my current warrior! After playing a mage that has a cost reduced by half I didn't put enough care into that! :grin:

I use this thread for this post despite the character is a warrior because my choices are closely linked to spells choice.

I'd be curious to have your feeling. Here my current warrior state:

Close to level 29 with 25k leadership.
With items int from 15 to 21 (all Learning points but one and all Knowledge points but few gave int +1)
Maze finished but few fights still open.
Only last tournament fight to do.
1.5M but runes and crystal you can buy have already a cost of 300k.
44 power runes
12 spirit runes
19 magic runes
34 crystals
I haven't yet found any Hypnosis or Weakness scrolls nor items giving them. Both are spells I could want increase to level 3.
Distortion level 3 I have: Magic Shackles, Magic Spring
Distortion level 3 I look to: Hypnosis if I finally find it, Precision (no archer in my current army but I like change), perhaps Phantom and Stone Skin, Haste if I don't have better use of Crystals or if I want change for a slow army.
Order level 3 I look to: Resurrection, Bless, Battle Cry, Helplessness if I don't have better use of Crystals.
Chaos level 3 I look to: Weakness if I finally find it, Doom, Necro Call and Sacrifice if I don't have better use of Crystals.

And the skills I could look to increase:

Concentration from 2 to 3
Order Magic from 2 to 3
Power Magic from 2 to 3
Frenzy from 2 to 3
Dark Commander from 2 to 3
Bowmen Commander from 2 to 3
Combat Readiness from 1 to 3
Iron Fist from 2 to 3
Diplomacy from 1 to 3

My current choices are:

Don't do anything to let all options open. :grin:
If I had more Crystals I'd go for Order Magic and Concentration making me giving up on other skills because of a lack of Spirit runes.
An option I'm looking to is to get Chaos Magic level 3 and will probably get few more rune for Concentration. That option don't use any Spirit rune and allows me increase the Might skills but dark commander. But get Chaos before to have find the Weakness spell don't appeal me much.
Another option is Concentration level 3 (I wonder why I forget it before), Dark Commander level 3 and increase few more Might skills but then few or zero chance I finally succeed learn Order or Chaos level 3. And Hypnosis level 3 could be open for later if I find the spell.

The point is that I'm freeze to give up Order or Chaos level 3 and make a choice closing those options but I don't have enough crystals to make wise any of those option. Also the spells Hypnosis and Weakness not yet found freeze me a little, if I stop waiting them, spend crystals and get them later...

agrael
05-04-2009, 09:07 PM
This list is a bit limited, I'm feeling it's the best magic system I ever seen in term of balance, meaning that ton of spells are great to use in some cases.

When playing a mage a priority could be the Alchemy skill, when it is at the top it half the cost of crystal that's huge in comparison with other hero classes. I definitely second the care to have about crystal use, but with Alchemy on max asap I'd suggest more: Learn all spell at level 1. Don't learn all spells at level 2 but only good selected choice. Learn only few spells at level 3.

My own list of spells that are my favorite candidates for level 3:

Resurrection (target units level 4)
Demon Slayer (mass) keep for later game
Hypnosis (target units level 4 and bigger pack)
Magic Spring (for the best efficiency for this handy spell)
Haste (mass) if you plan use some slow army
Magic Shackles (mass)
Precision (mass)
Bless (mass) worth more for some troops to have an idea of the gain don't compare the min and max but average and max.
Weakness (mass)
Gift (target units level 5)
Battle Cry (mass)
Blind/Sheep/Pygmy (target units level 4) all 3 are quite close and get one or two is handy. Sheep costs much more mana but disable the troop and make it easy to attack, Pygmy cost less mana and can allow kills much more, Blind cost less mana than Sheep but don't change unit type.
Lightning (the point of this attack spell is that some items increase its power unlike other attack spells and if I'm not wrong unlike fire/poison/cold no units has a special protection against it. The negative point is that at level 3 you can't always use it without to hit your own units so you need at least one other attack spell to the max)

Clearly all are optional and many other worth to be increased to level 3, as already mentioned you need restrain your choice. those I listed are only my favorite candidate to be perhaps increased at level 3 with a mage with at least int 15 (to have spells duration increased by 1).

About the mage hero mana level, 80 for impossible? Then I wonder how low at normal. For a mage the Higher Magic skill is an incredible skill but it requires ton of mana and then a good option seems to pick mana very often during mage level up.

I'm not sure is this is right place for this question but anyway.... can someone give me a whole list of magic in game /and maybe location of scrolls/

Stepsongrapes
05-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm not sure is this is right place for this question but anyway.... can someone give me a whole list of magic in game /and maybe location of scrolls/

A ton of KB:L info is available here: http://www.gamebanshee.com/kingsbountythelegend/spellschaos.php

Follow all the menus on the left-hand side.

agrael
05-04-2009, 09:23 PM
many thanks

Elwin
05-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Location of almost every spell is random and actualy can never appear in one game.Only sure spell i know is geyser for the Titan's tear quest

Razorflame
05-05-2009, 09:47 AM
there is alot of spells in chest on the adventure map and in battle locations
so be sure to grab as many chest as possible :)