PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifice question.

OGKingsBounty92
03-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I've read all over here that you can sacrifice hypnotized enemy troops but I can't do this with my warrior. Is it because I'm a warrior? I can't sacrifice Phantom troops either and I always read how people do this.

?? ??

Dabrinko
03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Summoned (phantoms included) can not be sacrificed.

Hypnotized (by the spell, not the Evil Beholder's ability) units can be sacrificed.

If you saw someone who sacrifices summoned troops, they lie or don't know any better.

MisterBarca
03-02-2009, 09:03 PM

Hypnotized (by the spell, not the Evil Beholder's ability) units can be sacrificed.

If you saw someone who sacrifices summoned troops, they lie or don't know any better.

As an aside, where do you get the Hypnosis spell?

Ryastar
03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
You get it where ever it shows up in your game, or not at all. Spell locations are random, except for a very small number (geyser for sure, can't remember any others at the moment). THERE IS NO GARUNTEE THAT ANY GIVEN ITEM/SPELL WILL SHOW UP IN YOUR GAME UNLESS IT IS A QUEST REWARD AND ONLY A SMALL NUMBER OF TROOPS HAVE GARUNTEED LOCATIONS. Sorry for the caps, but this kind of question has been asked so much, it's really starting to get annoying.

OGKingsBounty92
03-02-2009, 11:00 PM

"hypnotized" units, yes by spell.

Why in hell can't I sacrifice my hypnotized units? I have hypnotize at level II and sacrifice same level but still can't sacrifice them. Is this a patch thing ? I have American retail version and patch 1.65.

Stepsongrapes
03-02-2009, 11:10 PM
"hypnotized" units, yes by spell.

Why in hell can't I sacrifice my hypnotized units? I have hypnotize at level II and sacrifice same level but still can't sacrifice them. Is this a patch thing ? I have American retail version and patch 1.65.

Your timing may be off. You need to use sacrifice wears off on the enemy stack (e.g., before it takes its second action under hyponosis).

Try casting hypnosis as the last action in the first round (put a unit on wait if you have to) then cast sacrifice as the first action on the next round. If that works, it means you've been screwing up the timing.

This may also sound obvious, but I assume that you've succesfully cast sacrifice on non-hypo targets, right?

OGKingsBounty92
03-03-2009, 03:30 AM
Your timing may be off. You need to use sacrifice wears off on the enemy stack (e.g., before it takes its second action under hyponosis).

Try casting hypnosis as the last action in the first round (put a unit on wait if you have to) then cast sacrifice as the first action on the next round. If that works, it means you've been screwing up the timing.

This may also sound obvious, but I assume that you've succesfully cast sacrifice on non-hypo targets, right?

Thanks for the info.

That's correct, I can cast it on my troops but not on hypno ones. I'll try it out if I can figure out when the 2nd turn starts. thanks

Dabrinko
03-03-2009, 09:28 AM
If you find a certain necklace, you can get some hypnotize scrolls if you defeat the keepers.

OGKingsBounty92
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Hey thanks man..that was the problem, I was screwing the timing up but how in the hell do you people find out about these things? It doesn't say anything under the spells description.

Cool spell to have now. :grin:

Stepsongrapes
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Hey thanks man..that was the problem, I was screwing the timing up but how in the hell do you people find out about these things? It doesn't say anything under the spells description.

Cool spell to have now. :grin:

It's not really a spell description issue, at least not with sacrifice.

It's more of a detail with the way hypnosis resolves- you lose control of the unit IMMEDIATELY after it takes its second action (for lvl 2 spell) while under hyponosis. You can tell this by the change in highlight color on the unit- you were previous casting on a red unit.

Essentially, you're trying to cast sacrifice on a unit that ISN'T "one of your troops," as required by the spell description.

jwallstone
03-03-2009, 05:58 PM
This is a general game mechanic with spell durations. It's not just hypnosis, it applies to every spell. Spell durations are counted in terms of the unit's turns, not battle turns. For example, if a unit performs an action ending its turn, such as attacks, uses an ability, or defends, then the duration of every status effect (buffs/debuffs such as hypnosis) is decremented IMMEDIATELY.

It can be most noticeable with a spell like phantom. On the third turn, if you right click a phantom unit, it will have a status effect indicating that its a phantom, with a duration of 1 left. Now, if you perform any turn-ending action with it, it will disappear immediately. But if you Wait with it, it'll stick around until it's second action, distracting and/or blocking enemies for the turn. It's important to understand this mechanic to make the best use of your spells, as in this example with phantom.

Another couple of examples: let's say you have a unit with magic spring, duration 3, with three enemies around it, and you want to maximize mana received. If you attack, then you get a retaliation, and +5 mana, but now your magic spring will only have duration 1 left - 1 reduction from the retaliation, one from your unit ending it's turn. it will only be able to get an another +5 from magic spring. It may be better to wait with the unit, let the three enemies attack it, and receive all three +5 mana bonuses.

Let's say you have a unit with Magic Shield from Archmages in the middle of a group of enemies. Magic Shield only has duration 1 remaining. If you attack right away, the magic shield will help against the retaliation, but it will disappear after that and your unit will get pounded on by all the other enemies for full damage and suffer for the rest of the turn. If you wait with your unit and attack later, it'll have Magic Shield on it while all the enemies attack, saving you boatloads of damage.

Hypnosis works the same way. If hypnosis only has duration 1 left, it may be better to wait and soak up some damage before ending the unit's turn. This will also give you the flexibility to cast sacrifice later in the turn, as long as it's done before the unit ends its turn.