PDA

View Full Version : Not as random?

Koki
02-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm okay with randomly generated content, and it greatly increases replayability. But I feel the original game was just TOO random. Once I found a +5 sword in the Knight's Temple at the very beginning of the game, the other time around I was forced to kill demons with Runic Sword. Two times I found Sacrifice at Chvakha's swampy hut, and some people never found one at all. Then there are unit woes.

Now you're going to say that randomness is forcing you to adapt and use different tactics - which is true... assuming the random content is properly scaled. When all you find in shops is +1 Def belts, no amount of tactics is going to help you against enemy bosses who have 10 attack already in Darion, and then it gets worse.

There are several places in the game which are not random - i.e. Darion capital will always have hordes of Bowmen and Priests, you will always find +3 Halberd at Freedom Islands, that orc shaman skull, etc. But that's simply not enough, especially because, well, most of these items simply suck, and the units are usually available too late - they're more of a thing to buy when you get wiped out and need a new army than something to build your troop with.

So all I'm asking is - put several really good permanent items in the game(i.e. one +5 attakck, one +5 def and one +5 int) even if they're available late, or if you have to do a quest for them. Same goes for units - a capital of dwarven land should offer all dwarven units, elven capital should offer all elven units, etc. at some point(Preferably after you do a quest for them).

OGKingsBounty92
04-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm okay with randomly generated content, and it greatly increases replayability. But I feel the original game was just TOO random. Once I found a +5 sword in the Knight's Temple at the very beginning of the game, the other time around I was forced to kill demons with Runic Sword. Two times I found Sacrifice at Chvakha's swampy hut, and some people never found one at all. Then there are unit woes.

Now you're going to say that randomness is forcing you to adapt and use different tactics - which is true... assuming the random content is properly scaled. When all you find in shops is +1 Def belts, no amount of tactics is going to help you against enemy bosses who have 10 attack already in Darion, and then it gets worse.

There are several places in the game which are not random - i.e. Darion capital will always have hordes of Bowmen and Priests, you will always find +3 Halberd at Freedom Islands, that orc shaman skull, etc. But that's simply not enough, especially because, well, most of these items simply suck, and the units are usually available too late - they're more of a thing to buy when you get wiped out and need a new army than something to build your troop with.

So all I'm asking is - put several really good permanent items in the game(i.e. one +5 attakck, one +5 def and one +5 int) even if they're available late, or if you have to do a quest for them. Same goes for units - a capital of dwarven land should offer all dwarven units, elven capital should offer all elven units, etc. at some point(Preferably after you do a quest for them).

Yes, screw the random garbage.

I don't want to be forced to do anything in any game. I want to play however the hell I want to play it and I should be able to plan on starting a game with any race once I find them and stick to that race with ALL their items.

Or at least add a cheat for items. I fixed the spell issue by cheating and then subtracting the price of what the spell would cost. If I can't afford it I won't use cheat to get the spell I want. I shouldn't have to go thru all this just to have fun. :mad:

wolfing
04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Yes, screw the random garbage.

I don't want to be forced to do anything in any game. I want to play however the hell I want to play it and I should be able to plan on starting a game with any race once I find them and stick to that race with ALL their items.

Or at least add a cheat for items. I fixed the spell issue by cheating and then subtracting the price of what the spell would cost. If I can't afford it I won't use cheat to get the spell I want. I shouldn't have to go thru all this just to have fun. :mad:

but that's *your* definition of fun. To me it's more fun by it being totally random. That means that every time I play I need to develop a new strategy instead of using the same strategy all the time.

Zhuangzi
04-22-2009, 11:09 PM
From what I've seen of KB:AP, the randomness is much the same as in KB:TL. Lots of things are random, but not everything. I love a game that changes every time. Bring on the randomness, I say. :-P

theyarecomingforyou
05-25-2009, 02:18 PM
For the sake of replayability the random nature of items is a huge benefit. Perhaps some of the extremes need to be reigned in but personally I like it. I certainly wouldn't want everything to be in the same place for every play through.

travelingoz
05-26-2009, 07:36 PM
I've been muddling through the first stages of the full russian version the last few weeks.....

You will be pleased to know that the old favorites that were hard to find in KB e.g. inquisitors, Royal thorns (limited quantity) and royal blue snakes are always available in your starting area however... the good new units like assasains, paladins and royal griffins are very random both in quantity and location....
I just completed the first 2 stages and finally found some paladins in the mage hut near the starting castle.... but there were only 5 of them... with 4000 leadership, that's about 16 short...

It seems to be the same as KB regarding most artifacts.

Also the better spells are hard to find again too! No sacrifice, resurrection, gift (is it still available?) yet, however some of the new spells like retribution and summon aninimal allies are quite easy to find.

All in all it seems to be a much more even balance than KB without taking away the random replayability IMHO.

P.S. The new retribution spell seriously rocks! It will have even warriors looking to upgrade their Order Magic skills early! It works in a similar way to mana spring, so on level 2 with 15init it does 350~650 Dmg for 5 turns/hits. Now that its easy to get a few royal thorns early game....... it's party time!