PDA

View Full Version : ability to play as pure magic user would rock!

fruithead
01-29-2009, 02:49 AM
elsewhere i posted the following:

i am a little confused. this is my first playthru, so i decided, what does a mage do? go for high intellect, that's what! difficult parts of the game, i don't mind. i loved the beginning, which was indeed challenging. but i am bothered by the possibility that demonis will be impossible. hard i'm cool with, even really hard, but i sure hope it won't be impossible, especially since it would annoy me if i couldn't play the game purely as the character i wanted, e.g.; if i played warrior, i would be investing very very little into magic skills and such, as those would be "helpful", but the thrust of my game would be based around my army. so too, as a mage, i would want the main part of my game to follow the path of magic, where my army is either augmented by magic, or takes a backseat to it.

sadly, going through my spellbook has made me realize that many of the games spells do not reflect higher effectiveness for the mage, despite his elite magical skills. for instance, although the game says that every 15 points of int grants an extra turn of spell effect, spells like sheep, target, doom, pygmy, hypnotize, etc, have a set amount of time they affect enemies for, and are not granted any particular bonuses for high int. is this an oversight? does this mean that i will simply not be able to compete when pure damage is no longer as relevant as it is now?

i am not sure if this was an oversight by the game designers or not, but i think that many spells should have an increased duration for the mage, especially if you have chosen to give up on having high attack/defense stats in favor of int. perhaps in addition spells should have other effects as well as their regular ones that are only triggered by high int, for instance, sheep could lower HP of units if your int is high enuff, or doom would start working even for special abilities attacks. also, i think it would be nice to have spells that allow the mage to augment the power of the army, thus allowing for "mage tactics" which would compensate for lower leadership (not by creating more units, as phantom does) or lower attack/defense values e.g.; some kind of spell that grants a unit +1 att for every 2 points of int a mage has, or just imagine your own.

i know that in this addon players will play as the princess, however i am assuming they will still have the option of warrior princess, mage princess, etc. if i am wrong, please simply apply all my comments to the eventual kings bounty: the legend sequel.

thank you!

fruithead
01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
here's a possibility: mages tend to benefit less from a spell like doom, since the base damage of creatures in their army is lower. i think it would be cool if doom increased base damage to the targeted creature by a percentage for each point of int, for instance .2 per point at lvl 1, .35 at lvl 2, and .5 at lvl 3. so a mage with 40 int would get a 20% damage increase if cast at lvl 3. (maybe even .75 at lvl 3 would be better.)

just an example of how i think spells might be made more beneficial for the "pure" magic user.

Ryastar
01-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I think the thing here is that the spells you named - the ones that don't scale as much with int, or at all - are the spells that are meant more for warriors and paladins, whose intellect is far lower. I agree that it is weird that those spells don't seem to increase duration with int, despite the game saying that every 15 pts adds +1 to duration, i think it might be a glitch or oversight. However, many more spells DO scale with intellect, and i believe that those are the spells that are meant more for mages. Damage spells are the perfect example of this - the more int, there more damage, each point of int adding +10% to the damage and every 7 a bonus 10%. These are not the perfect solution, as it is impossible to only use damage spells, and win. You do also need troops to deal with the more annoying enemies. THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT DAMAGE SPELLS ARE USELESS, just not the perfect solution.

Ryastar
01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
I think the thing here is that those spells you mentioned, spells that don't scale with int, are ones that are meant for warriors and paladins, whose intellect is lower. I agree that their duration should increase as advertised though. It must be either a glitch or an oversight, because i see no stated reason anywhere why every 15 int doesn't increase the duration of those spells.