PDA

View Full Version : Please let us choose our hero, dont force us to be 1 lady

GreenGurgler
01-20-2009, 02:40 PM
I have recently started playing the game after trying out the Demo and just love it!! This is a fantastic, top notch game that blows HOMM out of the water.

From reading what may come in the next expansion, here are my suggestions:

1) DONT FORCE US TO PLAY JUST ONE HERO WHO IS A FEMALE!
I know females play video games, but they are a very small percentage. Appeal to your base (most of which are males) and offer a male choice. Would it be that hard to offer us a choice to play male or female? When I play a fantasy game, I really like to connect with my avatar. As it is, this game offers no real choice as to your avatar, no customization beyond what class you are. To limit that even further in the expansion to me doesn't make any sense at all. Let us choose at least from male or female, but to make it even better, let us choose a few different avatars with different looks. Maybe make one who looks 'good' and one who looks 'evil'? For the women and men who like to play women, Kudos to you, you should have a choice as well. But don't force the rest of us to play a female protagonist.

1a) Let us import and continue our current hero. I know this might play less into the pre-scripted story line, but I had to throw it out there as part of 1) above.

2) Allow for user created maps and/or a random map generator. I know this game allows for significant modding, but does it allow for user created maps (perhaps I just missed this in the Mods section)?? This is a great game, except once you are done, reply is very limited. The average player might play one more time as a different class, but the maps and quests are ALL THE SAME.

3) Greater degree of camera zoom and control. I know there is a mod for this, but it should really be part of the core game. I mean this in both combat and the main world.

4) scalable maps. The current maps are OK and the ability to put your own map notes on is great but I would love to be able to zoom in and out of the map (if this is already in game and I just missed it, then I apologize).

5) Paper Doll for equipment. It would be really nice (useless I know, but graphically nice) to see the items we equip appear on the actual avatar in the Hero screen. Heck, go one step further and make them appear on the Hero in the game!

If I think of more, I'll add them.
Again, this game is awesome and I very much look forward to an expansion.

Ryastar
01-20-2009, 05:20 PM
The only thing with being a guy in the expansion, is that the whole story centers around you being Amelie, the princess (hence the title "armored princess") from the original game. If you want to play as a male princess, that's your affair, but it just seems a little weird to me...

That, of course is setting aside the first part of the statement, namely that you are playing as Amelie, a girl. That's it, end of story. I don't think Endoria has progressed technologically as far as sex changes...

As for importing your hero, well it's been stated elsewhere how impractical that is, because this game will start again at level 1, from what I've seen.

I also disagree with #2, in that, this is a game that is not meant for random maps. I know it decreases (for some, but not for me) the replay value, but this game is just one central campaign, and that's it. I can think of lots of examples from the RPG world (which, as far as the map is concerned, this is) that just have one map. More than one map doesn't really work for RPG games.

I do agree with your other requests, though :)

Gatts
01-20-2009, 05:29 PM
In Syberia I also play for a girl... a girl whose logic and reaction are not of my liking... but still it is about the game, gameplay, music, graphics, story... riddles etc... After all I do not mind playing a girl... This is about Role Playing Games- even the STRATEGY ones...

Example from past: Albion
I was very disappointed at the beginning to start only with one character, whose stats/skills I could not choose (not to mention that in ambermoon and amberstar I could)... so I did not play this game at beginning... now I see I was foolish and childish, as after a year I started playing Albion anyway, and I was then sorry for each day I was refusing it... In last 10 years I played Albion at least once per year... for old DOS VGA game... this is great honor from my side... and I admit how great this game is...
Did I miss the hero creation? Yes, I did.
Did it anyhow impact the game experience? No, it did not... (and I would rather play for a girl... instead of a man... who is always in blue overall... BLUEH... but the game did not suffer at all)
So why the focus on for whom you will play? Remember, it is about the game! And I only worry if the game will be as good as it's predictor.

SirJohn
01-21-2009, 12:32 AM
I agree with #5, but that's about it.
These guys came up with a great game that is not like every other piece of garbage out there today, so let's let them do what they want and not try to make it another Lowest Common Denominator game!

Zhuangzi
01-21-2009, 03:32 AM
I like the idea of 'roleplaying' Amelie in the expansion. And I usually like to play as a woman in rpgs, cos I get to look at myself jiggling around. :-P

Example: Malkavian female in Vampire: Masquerade Bloodlines. :cool:

GreenGurgler
01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
As for importing your hero, well it's been stated elsewhere how impractical that is, because this game will start again at level 1, from what I've seen.

I also disagree with #2, in that, this is a game that is not meant for random maps. I know it decreases (for some, but not for me) the replay value, but this game is just one central campaign, and that's it. I can think of lots of examples from the RPG world (which, as far as the map is concerned, this is) that just have one map. More than one map doesn't really work for RPG games.

I do agree with your other requests, though :)

I did not realize that starting point (first level all over again) and can see why it would not be practical to import old characters.

I know that if the game had random maps, they would not be very good. It is apparent the devs put a lot of thought into the areas and the quest lines involved in those areas and it shows. No random map could replace that. What about allowing user created maps and an option to play them separate from the story line? I cant imagine this would be to difficult and it would make the game playable for a long, long time.

Re-playability in this game is lacking. Personally, I expect to play it 2-3 times at maximum because of the repetition involved in the maps. Then it will be shelved. This is not a BAD thing as the game is still A++ but it could be A++ with unlimited re-playability. For example, there are several games that I play that I have logged literally hundreds if not thousands of hours on because of the re-playability factor. Games like Civilization (all of them), Homm V (not random, but has a lot of maps included in core game), Pirates, MoM, MoO, Galactic Civ 1&2, etc...
These games either have random maps, user created maps or shipped with lots of maps/worlds.

As for my primary request (don't force us to play one gender, one character), I still firmly believe/desire this. From what I've seen here and in other threads, I appear to be in the minority. It wont prevent me from checking out the expansion, but I would still prefer it A LOT! Games used to be more like this (one set protagonist) and over the years, choice has been a feature that has been implemented more and more in most games. There are of course very successful exceptions.

These guys came up with a great game that is not like every other piece of garbage out there today, so let's let them do what they want and not try to make it another Lowest Common Denominator game!

While I do agree with this, they did ask for suggestions. I am just throwing my 2 cents in. ;)

What amazes me about this title is how under the radar it is (at least here in the states). I had never heard of this, never seen it in most big stores, and didn't see any game sites talking about it. I only found it by accident when there was a sidebar ad on IGNPC.com and I clicked it. WOW! I had played an old version of Kings Bounty on my C-64 and absolutely loved it. I subsequently played the HOMM series since they were the closest thing to the original KB and they were good, but I always longed for a remake.
THIS game is so well done, so well polished I simply cant believe it doesn't have a bigger profile here.

I have no doubt this company will make a phenomenal expansion (even if I have to play a girl). :grin:

Zhuangzi
01-25-2009, 10:37 PM
I know what you're saying about the value of random maps, GreenGurgler, but I played this game through 4 times, which took over 250 hours in total, so that's sensational value for me. I am sick of it now, however. But as you've said, to make it random would actually reduce the quality of the locations/situations in the game. It's like Star Control 2, if you can remember that. Fantastic game, one of the best ever, but no random map meant it got boring eventually. ;)

Ward
01-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Really enjoying the game. Got the last copy at my local best buy.

My wife is playing to but was disappointed there were no girl characters to play so she happy about the expansion.

I however am not.

Let me put it to you this way. If Diablo 2 were all female characters i would of never played it. I never, never, NEVER play as a female character.

Forcing a player into one gender is ridiculous. Finally Diablo 3 is giving us choices for genders. So unless you give us the option as playing as the princesses male childhood friend or something like that even will all the enjoyment I've had from the game so far.

If you only offer play as a female character with no choice to play male then sorry i wont be purchasing the expansion.

Zhuangzi
01-25-2009, 10:51 PM
If your wife can play as a male character and enjoy it, why can't you do the reverse? Sounds ridiculous not to play a game for this reason. :confused:

Elias_Maluco
01-26-2009, 03:17 PM
So unless you give us the option as playing as the princesses male childhood friend or something like that even will all the enjoyment I've had from the game so far.

If you only offer play as a female character with no choice to play male then sorry i wont be purchasing the expansion.

Yeah, thats some stupid reason to not to play a game. I reckon you cant play Tomb Raider as well? Or any Metroid?

Whats wrong with this people? What are you afraid of? You feel you are going to be less male for controlling a girl in a computer game? You wont, has you dont get more "macho" for playing Duke Nuken either.

Grow up, boys.

GreenGurgler
01-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah, thats some stupid reason to not to play a game. I reckon you cant play Tomb Raider as well? Or any Metroid?

Whats wrong with this people? What are you afraid of? You feel you are going to be less male for controlling a girl in a computer game? You wont, has you dont get more "macho" for playing Duke Nuken either.

Grow up, boys.

Thanks for your opinion Elias. Ward has one as well. You can disagree with him without the need to attempt to belittle him as well.

Ultimately, a CHOICE as to which sex to play would be the best option. For some, this will be a deal breaker and for others, this wont matter one bit. Some, like myself, would prefer one way but will accept the other way as long as the game is as good as the original. Companies (like 1C) know this and make a calculated decision when they make a game balancing this information against the potential gain or loss to a games popularity and profitability.

Aggressively attacking someone for stating their opinion on their preference isn't very useful nor does it back up your own position.

And for the record, he has a wife so is probably 20+. I am 39 (with job, wife & kids) so mostly 'all growed up' ;)

wolfing
01-30-2009, 02:21 PM
The way I see it, women who want to play games have to play as a man 99% of the times. I don't see a problem with them being able to play as a woman for once.
Besides, this game is more based on a story, the daughter of the king was that, a daughter. Could they make it so you can choose to be someone else? maybe, but it'd create them many problems for the continuity of the game. In the 3rd installation, they wouldn't be able to say anything about the 2nd, as they wouldn't know if you played it as a man or a woman.
It's really no big deal, women have done it (playing a character of the opposite sex) for the longest time, if they can do it, so can we.

Elias_Maluco
01-30-2009, 05:13 PM
The way I see it, women who want to play games have to play as a man 99% of the times. I don't see a problem with them being able to play as a woman for once.
Besides, this game is more based on a story, the daughter of the king was that, a daughter. Could they make it so you can choose to be someone else? maybe, but it'd create them many problems for the continuity of the game. In the 3rd installation, they wouldn't be able to say anything about the 2nd, as they wouldn't know if you played it as a man or a woman.
It's really no big deal, women have done it (playing a character of the opposite sex) for the longest time, if they can do it, so can we.

Bravo.

BAXTER STOCKMAN
01-30-2009, 08:30 PM
If your wife can play as a male character and enjoy it, why can't you do the reverse? Sounds ridiculous not to play a game for this reason. :confused:

What the problem of playing a female character?? I have finished Tomb Raider legend and Clock Tower 3( an old PS2 exculsive game)and i like it a lot and now i am also playing tomb raider underword. It is just a pc game !! It is stupid not to play play a game just because you control a female character! And there are only a few games with female characters now.

Lucaria
02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
I find it kind of odd that her hair color changes from blond/brown to black. Although it's a good change =P. I personally prefer to play as females because I mean, if I have to stare at a character all day, it might as well be a chick.

jadetempest
02-12-2009, 07:41 AM
If I can play as a man through the full base game (with a paper doll that has a mohawk/mullet), I think a male player can well play through the expansion as the armored princess.

felix
02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
you still can control men, you troops that is, problem solved.

but I syill don't know why she look so different in this game, even different hair color.

Oh, and I'm new here, nice to meet you all.

Yerdiss
02-20-2009, 04:12 PM
On the topic of gender-preferences. It seems the core of the request would be: "A choice of gender-toon". This would be a good request in itself. Unfortunately (as stated before), it conflicts with the story-driven elements of the game.

Now, onto personal preference. I for one like it that the expansion features a character from the original game. Add to that the fact that I have no qualm playing a game with a female toon, I support the devs current decision in this.

As to why people have trouble playing games that features a woman, I don't think we'd get definitive answers on this. I know my better half likes games a lot better when she can play a female, since it's easier to associate with the toon (She did like Duke Nukem, by the way). In that regard, I cannot but respect the same point of view for males that dislike playing female toons, even if I don't share their sentiment.

However, I do feel the argument that the main player base is male, is not as true as many males would like to believe - at least, not for games in this genre. Kings Bounty, The Legend has much that appeals to (the many) female gamers I know. Two exambles would be that it's graphically pleasant, and that it has a very good story in which the options that are offered to the player support kindness as much as 'gruesome slaughter'. Games where it's mainly numbercrunching, killcounting or grinding are often considered to be more 'to the male's liking' and less so for females. Games that are aesthetically pleasing and hold a good story, have a large female playerbase.

So my guess would be that for many of the males that are 'lost' due to their hesitance to play a game featuring a girl, there will be women picking up the game instead. (For instance, the wives of the men that stopped playing ;)

Summarizing my point: The game features a story-driven experience that in my opinion more than compensates for the lack of toon-customisation. I'm quite glad the devs can make the decision to cut their losses in a certain segment of the male playerbase, so that they may offer us a sequal with the same (or even better) quality: a strong story. I cannot think of a male toon that could be substituted for Amelia and not make the story awkwared (if not at points downright emergingbreaking).

Longasc
02-20-2009, 10:24 PM

I could not agree more.

I just wonder that Amelie suddenly has dark hair, as a child she is a blonde, after all.

I am also looking forward to the German translation of "Armored Princess", which is a kickass funny title for a game. In German, the translation will probably be "Die gepanzerte Prinzessin", which is almost an alliteration or is actually one, as the pronunciation will focus on the "panzer" part and "Prinzessin".

It is rather sad that people cannot get over the fact that they will have to play a female char. It is only your char, after all.

My wishlist would be an improved WINDOWED game mode. I had to mod the game.ini to play in a window and the text sometimes looks blurry, but otherwise it works fine. I would like to have this option by default.

aghiuta
02-22-2009, 01:42 AM
+10
The story will really become wierd if you swap the princess with a random male servant.
There is a slight possibility of introducing a young brother of the princess and thus still a prince, but the story dialog might already be fitted for answers given to a girl, like talking to a pirate who laughs at the tiny princess that threatens him only to end up with his head on a stick :D.
With regard to the hair color change: it is a normal change. My father had black hair and my mother had natural blonde hair, when I was a kid I had light blonde hair which darkened in time and I now it is dark brown. No dies involved. The producers being from Rusia might have seen this change too (I am from Romania so we have the same dark hair and blonde hair mixes).