PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Difficulty...mods?

AstroCat
12-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi, we just picked this game up based on a recommendation. We used to have a lot of fun with the HOMM games and this seemed like in that universe.

What is the recommended difficulty to start on? We want a challenge but not at the super frustrating level that it ceases to be fun.

Also, I see the game is modable. Are there any mods that we should use. We have the 6.5 Atari (US) version of the game.

Is there a way to have a female lead character? The wife wants to know. :)

Thanks!

YENKO
12-13-2008, 03:31 AM
Start on Normal, play the mage (easy) or the paladin (harder than mage but still manageable for a newcomer). Later you can replay the game on harder difficulties with the Warrior if you want.

Seven
12-14-2008, 05:52 PM
- Unfortunately there is no Female Character.
- Yes, you should use mods, as they make the gamer nicer.
I play with those and highly recommend them (be sure to put all the .kfs files in your data/mod directory):
1. mod_164_eng_camera (most important one, because you can zoom your camera much more out !)
2. mod_164_eng_interface (also very important. see readme.)
3. mod_164_eng_armywalk (i LOVE this one. Only enemies whith even strength will fight you automatically. All weaker ones can be manually attacked of course)
4. mod_larger_mapobj (not so essential. Makes the 3d Modells from gems/gold/crystals bigger. Recommended when you use the camera zoom mod)

All mods can be found on this forum or here (maybe quicker): http://kbmods.nm.ru/eng/164/

I dont know if they work with your specific ATARI Version.
But they shoudl. Just give em a try. You cannot harm the game with it.

Seven

YENKO
12-14-2008, 08:48 PM
And don't miss the mod_164_eng_anim_spirit (or mod_16b7_anim_spirit)!!
It skips the first 'spawning' of the spirits at the beginning of every battle (the 'forming' or Zerock from rocks, the 'emerging' of Sleem from the marsh etc. Very useful. The various Spirit skill animations are still there, don't worry.

Gatts
12-15-2008, 09:37 AM
For MODs also I would recommend to look into the MOD section of this Forum

the Mod of MODs is the KB_Master MOD (as already clear from the title :) )

MOD's are mostly compatible with any version, but to be sure - read carefeully the most read threads about mods (there is also the sticky thread containing the list of most downloaded mods... each mod has it's own readme)

Difficulty for normal (not too easy, not too hard) is... is.... iiiiis... NORMAL IMHO

you get all equally (100% income 100% enemy army strenght...no bonuses, no penalties... still huge portion of fun... not as mosochistic as Impossible)
Do not worry about threads where many write how easy this game is even on impossible - as Cheats are free to use from the release date and they are never ever documented (that you used them... other games will sign you in score list as CHEATER... KB not) -> so many players use cheats in one or other way, than they post their great scores here... it is single player, so don't mess with such "competition"... for the first time when you don't know all the spells/units/quests.. is normal diff. quite a challenge IMO