PDA

View Full Version : What order to progress through Areas?

darkflame
12-05-2008, 01:25 PM
hey guys im new to the game and im not that great at it at the moment. i was wondering if you could advise me on which areas of the world to progress to in what order with lvl reccomendations, any help is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
Darkflame

Gatts
12-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Well even if I would advise you first to check some threads on this forum like " 10 tips for all game startes", still here is something that I would love to know on my first game:

1.) Try using each quest item/artefact - just click it with rmb and if there is "use" - click use lmb
2.) try to calculate your runes before investing them into skills - use newest patch, or install "Interface" MOD to see all costs of the skills + how many runes you may await on further future levels - as there is not way back in leveling
3.) the same as in 2.) point -> but for spells - use crystals wisely (they are consumed all time when you move spell to spell book or upgrade a spell)
4.) Try to get Rage Cage ASAP (if you don't know what Rage Cage is - follow first the main quest - it is the onw with the crown - always on top) without any other fights
5.) When you already are ready for fights - first clear the weakest country (Yep - each game map/country has its own difficulty)
Go first to Darion
second clear Arlania and the land where is Mage Academy (just in front of Mark's castle)
Than take and finish the quest for the Darion Vilage elder (there are two quests actually)
Than go in Swamps

For exploring - you may freely enter many countries that are above your level of experience- you can avoid fights if you are quick enough... so you can pick up bonuses w/o fights...

YENKO
12-05-2008, 03:32 PM
By completing early King Darion quests, you will soon get access to certain units in unlimited numbers, like Archers and Swordsmen. That will help alot in your future battles, knowing that you don't have to exrtra worry about losing them. Just come back and restock. In the Isands, you will be able to buy new units like pirates, marauders and sea dogs. Sea dogs are particularly vicious, with their special attack which can damage all neighbouring units. Griffins are great for their unlimited retaliation ability, put stone skin and bless on them, and watch them rock!
All in all, try to learn your units and their weaknesses/strengths/special skills. It is the meat of the game..Same for your spells. There are some really killer spells/critters combos out there :)

darkflame
12-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice and help guys. ill go check out that thread and then i guess ill go start that main quest and get my box of rages

thanks again guys im sure this will start me off down the right track

YENKO
12-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Keep us informed about your progress ;)

Gatts
12-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Here is the official "COMPLEXITY" intex / table of locations:

Greenwort 5
Verlon Forest 15
Marshan Swamps 25
Arlania 15
Western Islands 25
Eastern Islands 25
Upper Hadar 35
Lower Hadar 35
Ardan Peaks 45
Taron Mines 45
Mehgard 45
Magic Valley 55
Great Wood 65
Valley of Thousand Rivers 55
Roots of the Life Tree 65
Haas's labyrinth 95
Grey Heathland 75
Death valley 85
Demonis 95
Murok 95

Please look at this table only on high level - these numbers do not directly describe the battle difficulty - as the difficulty is based on another aspects as well (different troops/different combinations/different tactics etc.) but still it shows the fact that in Demonis you may expect much higher challange than in Taron Mines, and that the easiest fights and lowest rewards are Greenwort)

Also you may see that Verlon Forest and Arlania are not as difficult as Marshan Swamps - so don't seek out battle too early in Marshan Swamps... even if you can access them as easy as the other two locations... (maybe if you play easy - the difference is not as visible) but I remember playing impossible and finding it impossible to win against 600 venomous spiders with 8 archers, 12 swordsman, 35 peasants, 6 priests and 12 lake dragonflies :) ... with my puny fireball that did 300 DMG in average :)

P.S. maybe my good friend that gets so bored by BLAST BLAST tactic would win it as he is da best mage ever

YENKO
12-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Also, the overall difficulty depends largely on your hero 'setup'. At one time, there might be lots of 'strong' enemy armies which are indeed nasty, and the next minute you find an excellent spell or artifact, or a new unit type, and right now, that 'strong' unit is not so hard anymore. Right now, i learned that, with my setup, those 'match' enemy armies are not match at all, since i can beat them with zero losses. Yes it involves lots of tinkering with mana, rage, chargers, mana spring and resurrections, but still.. Yesterday i liberated that Castle Bogacho, and that was a very vicious battle for me. Killed the Mega-spider too. Kraken is still alive, and i am planning to have some fun with him later with kickass units and hi-lvl hero :)

darkflame
12-09-2008, 01:31 AM
wow that's the sort of information i was looking for you shouldn't have gone to the trouble of doing all of that guys your information has been helping me greatly.

got to play the game for a while the other day and i managed to get my chest of rages and i fought the giant turtle thanks to many spells haha i only came out of the battle with 1 horseman on a quater health but still a win is a win.:-P

YENKO
12-09-2008, 02:33 AM
What? Trouble? No trouble. All the trouble was for Gatts, finding out stuff etc. ;)
I was just spamming :mrgreen:

Metroplex
12-09-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm playing my second time as a Paladin and what I am doing now is:
-Did the King's quests so that I could get the spirits of rage, up to rescuing the son of the dwraf king so that I get Mr Reaper
-Get the hell out and return to Darion to start to build them up and my strength
-not hurry about taking too many side-quests at once it spoils it looking at all those unfinished quests.:eek:

YENKO
12-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Well, you are obviously a much beter player than I am, since I had problems at freeing the Dwarf King's son, there were some really, really nasty enemy stacks! Got them all eventually, but only after I was (mage) level 15 or so...
By that time, all Darion, Islands and half DwarfLand were clear of enemy armies.. :-x

stpkg
12-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Preferable to finish the first 3 King's request to get the Rage Box ASAP.

Gatts
12-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Well, you are obviously a much beter player than I am, since I had problems at freeing the Dwarf King's son, there were some really, really nasty enemy stacks! Got them all eventually, but only after I was (mage) level 15 or so...
By that time, all Darion, Islands and half DwarfLand were clear of enemy armies.. :-x

That does not mean you are not good player (not to mention you play it your first time)
1.) game is designed so that this specific battle should be the hardest in the Dwarven realms - so it is intended by devs that players possibly "eat" up all eyecandies/combat experience candies / quests from these lands prior proceeding further (after you free dwarven prince - you are free to go to elven lands)
2.) I am usually level 15 before entering the dwarven mines, because I know hard battles await me, so I try to level up ASAP...(as I am literally afraid not be able to beat the dwaren lands and save/load a lot or even return back to easier lands for additional leveling...)

Gatts
12-10-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm playing my second time as a Paladin and what I am doing now is:
-Did the King's quests so that I could get the spirits of rage, up to rescuing the son of the dwraf king so that I get Mr Reaper
-Get the hell out and return to Darion to start to build them up and my strength
-not hurry about taking too many side-quests at once it spoils it looking at all those unfinished quests.:eek:

This strategy is very good, well prepared and logical...

only gap I would see in this strategy is - if you are able to beat the army when feeing dwarven prince - most units in Darion would be considered WEAK for you -> so you will get much less XP / Spirit XP / Money for beating them... not to speak you will be quite bored (fighting 40 lake dragon flies after you killed 40 demoness, 300 imps, 4 archdemons 45 demons... )

and for me (as I am not precise / Kasparov battle winner) it is impossible to win the dwarven prince battle too soon in the game... so WOW! - you really have to be quite piece of a player

Metroplex
12-10-2008, 08:16 AM
It did all this without cheating, so yes, I am a great player!:grin:

Gatts
12-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Would like see ingame video from you battle when you win it only being on level 5 or so... really

YENKO
12-10-2008, 07:25 PM
At level 15 i completed the Battle for Castle Bogacho with zero losses, but it lasted for like forever. Those couple archdemons/demons/demonesses really messed up my army!! Thank God for Lina rechargers and the stoooopid imps. Mana Spring rocks ;)

Pluvius
12-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Basically,I try to lick everything pussy clean. Thats the most universal rule of such treasure hunting games. Clear all - scorched earth.Walk everywhere in the map.Clr everything u can,leave the strong ones for later when u level up stronger.

For e beginning,Do greenworth quests first,then go on to swamp.
It will be too tough at some point (when u have to hit the frog brother castle and kill the small boy necromancer). Then go on to arlania and verlon quest.Arlania has lots of sea booty useful. Dont forget the frog in the swamp,she can marry you and she is useful. Dont marry the the zombie girl in greenworth.The reason why I advise to go to Swamp first is because u ll find the inquisitor very very very very useful with the resurrection.U'll notice inquisitor resurrection is not level 1 resurrection and in the beginning,u see a need to conserve units.

Danny
12-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Dear Gatts & Gamers of KB

I am wondering if I should proceed to get my demoness wife earlier. But i am only a level 19 mage. Thought of stocking up on those unicorns (both types) as they do more damage to evil units. Any advice if i can make it alive?

Also, do we get quest or reward for killing all the pirates in Western and Eastern Islands?

Thanks in advance.

Danny

Metroplex
12-13-2008, 08:24 AM
In the Eastern islands, I think, if you raise the 'Moon Ghost' from the water using the spell from the wizard you'll get the 'Demon Killer' spell, could prove useful when you get to Demonis...:)

YENKO
12-13-2008, 01:39 PM
In the Eastern islands, I think, if you raise the 'Moon Ghost' from the water using the spell from the wizard you'll get the 'Demon Killer' spell, could prove useful when you get to Demonis...:)

Don't forget to pack Magic Shackles lvl 3!! :mrgreen:

WhiteFoxie
12-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks to Gatts and Yenko, I now have pretty general understanding on how the difficulty progresses/changes in the game. So thanks guys. ;)

Right now, i'm doing those crypt quests in the swamp. I think i'm level 8 or 9 (can't remember excacly), and I found the pirates on the eastern islands mostly slightly weaker. So I was wondering what I missed...

So I backtracked and right now i'm doing the swamp quests and it feels right on track. (I like to play safe.)
I have one question though. When you buy units... it shows what level they have.

Does that level stay like that? I have only seen (so far) one level 3 type of unit. Or will I find the same type of units later on in the game again, but higher in level?

And 50 level 3 archimages > 80 level 2 Swordsmen? (Do I need more of a lower level to balance it?)

Lovely game, can't wait till I get to play with some elves. :-P

lauvhk
12-28-2008, 04:48 AM
The level of each unit remains the same throughout the game. Unit level is a prime determinant over the effectiveness of certain unit talents/abilities and spell. For instance, a level 1 resurrection is only effective to level 1 and 2 living units.

Btw Archmage is a level 4 unit.

WhiteFoxie
12-28-2008, 10:37 AM
The level of each unit remains the same throughout the game. Unit level is a prime determinant over the effectiveness of certain unit talents/abilities and spell. For instance, a level 1 resurrection is only effective to level 1 and 2 living units.

Btw Archmage is a level 4 unit.

Ok. Thank you for clearing that up. :)
There is a picture of a level 4 dwarven alchemist in the manual btw, but while everything from Race to Talents is explained, the level number doesn't get any explenation. Not even in the spell section, so I was wondering if it mattered that much.

YENKO
12-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Certain unit's abilities and certain spell effectiveness are limited by the 'victim's' level, so higher spell level is required, etc.
No need to worry about the level: as you progress through the game, you will be able to hire stronger units with higher levels.You will have to ditch the 'old' units, or place them in the various garrissons or use them as Sacrifice-fodder. The only 'unit' in the game that earns levels is your Hero :)

maltz
01-31-2009, 10:01 AM
After going through the game once I recommend this:

(1)
Greenwort - 5
Verlon Forest - 15
Marshan Swamps - 25
Arlania - 15

You can leave some quest unfinished as you will return here several times in the future.

(2)
Western Islands - 25
Eastern Islands - 25

Return to (1) to buy Holy Indulgence (swamp) and back to (2) to finish everything.

(3) Upper Hadar - 35
Lower Hadar - 35
Ardan Peaks - 45
Taron Mines - 45 - Underground Sea.
Mehgard - 45

You can leave some quests unfinished as you will return here in the future. Go the underground sea from Taron Mines to access some spells/flags. If you want you can sneak into Demonis to buy troops/pick up valuables.

If you care about scores, it is "faster" (in terms of in-game days) to walk from Darion to the Dwarf lands.

(4)
Magic Valley - 55
Great Wood - 65
Valley of Thousand Rivers - 55

Clear as much surface as you can before advancing to the undead land below - enemies are much tougher there.

Grey Heathland - 75
Death valley - 85

You don't need to finish all quests here yet, as you will return in the future (just before the last area).

(5)
Dwarf land - Underground Sea - Demonis - 95

Finish everything here. Don't forget about the Pyramid - hopefully you didn't miss any obelisk!

(6)
Elf land - Haas's labyrinth - Murok

Straight to the end!