PDA

View Full Version : Totally fed up with Dryads

sleepy
12-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Dear devs,

If you want my future business, please PROPERLY balance troop strengths. What a Dryad can do is WAY beyond any other level 2 troops. As of now, I will not buy the expansion or any other sequel until proper balancing is done with troop strengths, the inequality between warrior vs magic, and the extremes of randomizations.

Sincerely.

Keneth
12-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Dear devs,

Please don't listen to the idiot above, this is a single-player game, hence the players take full responsibility for exploiting it.

Sincerely, Ken

sleepy
12-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Dear devs,

Please don't listen to the idiot above, this is a single-player game, hence the players take full responsibility for exploiting it.

Sincerely, Ken

If you want to debate the issue by explaining why Dryad is not only the best level two unit around, but has powers far beyond anything else at that level, feel free to present a logical explanation other than "exploiting it".

If you have nothing more than name calling, kindly move on and stop trolling.

TemjinGold
12-02-2008, 02:49 AM
It's not the dryad that's overpowered so much as Anga's Ruby. If that arty was out of the game, the problem would be solved.

Ryastar
12-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Sleepy:

Keneth, I think, is, like myself and likely other people here, fed up with people coming to the discussion board to whine about how something is unbalanced (especially dryads). What he meant was, since this is a frickin single player game, no one should care if a unit is “unbalanced”, because if you don`t like it, don`t use it. They won't form that signifigant a proportion of the monsters you face anyways, so stop crying about it and move on. If you use them, yes their abilities are powerful. So are the abilities of other units. But their poor damage makes up for their powerful abilities.

On another note, grow up. Keneth was at worst mildly insulting, and personally, I found what he said hilarious.

On a further note, shut up. It`s pathetic that because of one unit that is “unbalanced” you come here to whine and say that you won`t be buying the sequel to this game and so on and so forth. Personally, if i was one of the devs. I wouldn`t care. Good frickin riddance.

Zhuangzi
12-02-2008, 05:53 AM
You don't need Anga's Ruby to make full use of Dryads, IMO. But the combination is certainly deadly.

Don't want the expansion? Don't buy it then. Why should we care whether you buy it or not? :confused:

Lari
12-02-2008, 10:31 AM
sleepy:

Keneth, i think, is, like myself and likely other people here, fed up with people coming to the discussion board to whine about how something is unbalanced (especially dryads). What he meant was, since this is a frickin single player game, no one should care if a unit is “unbalanced”, because if you don`t like it, don`t use it. They won't form that signifigant a proportion of the monsters you face anyways, so stop crying about it and move on. If you use them, yes their abilities are powerful. So are the abilities of other units. But their poor damage makes up for their powerful abilities.

On another note, grow up. Keneth was at worst mildly insulting, and personally, i found what he said hilarious.

On a further note, shut up. It`s pathetic that because of one unit that is “unbalanced” you come here to whine and say that you won`t be buying the sequel to this game and so on and so forth. Personally, if i was one of the devs. I wouldn`t care. Good frickin riddance.

subscribed!

Gatts
12-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Dear devs,

If you want my future business, please PROPERLY balance troop strengths. What a Dryad can do is WAY beyond any other level 2 troops. As of now, I will not buy the expansion or any other sequel until proper balancing is done with troop strengths, the inequality between warrior vs magic, and the extremes of randomizations.

Sincerely.

I agree that good strategist can develope nearly bullet-proof way of winning relying on dryads, but:
1.) You can get them in Elven Island first - so who are your enemies?:
Undead (well you can still use some skills of dryad, but 4 undead units can use dryad as well of blood, so it counters it well)
2.) Units like dragons, cyclops, lvl 4,5 units, mind immune units - so you will benefit from only few of dryad bonuses
3.) even if dryad has a lot of HP compared to her Leadership, I doubt anyone ever used her as TANK unit
4.) Dryad is fast, but I doubt that for starting as first each round is dryad needed - there are plenty other units
5.) she is not mind immune as well
6.) she is only level 2 - many negative spells work very well on low level units
7.) her attack defence values are quite low - she will suffer much higher damage compared to other units with higher att/def values (more dryads you have, more you use)

All and all together - what you will have from all the dryad bonuses is flying fast unit with no retaliation that my heavily suffer from enemy attacks or abilities/spells - would morale not have +3 cap - and could morale bonus raise unlimitly - still dryad would not be good fight machine - speed and initiative are valuable to move freely on battlefield, but try escaping red dragon's fire ability, or armageddon spell, I very soon realized dryad is not worth ressurecting and soon I stopped hiring her at all.

If you feel you won't buy a game becouse you feel one unit is overpowered, be my guest.

Also I agree that "strenght" or "power" of units in single player games is out of debate, and when than not "I don't like this xy overpowered unit" but "pheeew, I found this xy unit which is very very strong compared to it's price ... so you can save money and win more battles... IMHO..."

If I feel the game is going too easy for me, even on impossible (never happend, with or w/o dryads, or other "overpowered" units or spells) I would just disband some units of my own army to feel the pain of hard battles... or (what would be my case :) ) I would enjoy clearing the most difficult battles which were pain in da ass few hours / days ago ... having that huge scary smile like Joker from Batman!

Now, seriously - let's look on multiplayer games where the balance is the main requirement - what players do first? search for the most overpowered unit and try to "build" strategy for this unit that would make it even more owerpoered - just to go online and kick ass...

So good job done : you have found overpowered unit in single player - enjoy! Would it be multiplayer, I would love to cross battle you and try your "overpowered" dryads with some "anti-dryad" strategy :) If I lose, I had great time, If I win I had double great time ...

In old HOMM 3 most players thought - Necro is overpowered - how many of them I've beaten to their great shockness
One collegue of mine prepared counter strategy (as I was known as Necro-slayer) and said to swap sides - I played for necros - I would lose for sure, but I found 3 artefacts that together created liches instead of poor skelettons - He run but he couldn't hide - was my artefact owerpowered? yep... but will I get this artefact always? nope... was his anti-necro strategy owerpowered? yep - but will he always win? nope... playing games IS about getting something owerpowered - if you want EQAUL game - play chess, seriously.

Keneth
12-02-2008, 12:59 PM
If you have nothing more than name calling, kindly move on and stop trolling. Pointless gripes are replied to with pointless trolls, welcome to the internet. :P

Lari
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Pointless gripes are replied to with pointless trolls, welcome to the internet. :P

Really, i have to meet you one day :)

Handel
12-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I've met dryad stacks in 3-4 fights and they didn't made serious difference. Indeed they do put low lvl units to sleep but the sleep itself is harmless. Once the stack is hit even by some effect like posion or fire the sleep is gone. Besides the sleep doesn't prevent the stacks from retaliating. So when playing vs AI the dryads are just a minor niusance and nothing more.

Keneth
12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
When playing against the AI, every good troop is a minor nuisance. :grin:

sleepy
12-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Keneth, I think, is, like myself and likely other people here, fed up with people coming to the discussion board to whine about how something is unbalanced

Your being fed up does not magically turn into someone's obligation to be silent. See, the wonderful thing about a public forum is that as long as someone abides by the forum policies, they can say things regardless of how much you can't deal with it. Your only option is to either press "Back", or learn to deal with it. But do feel free to give yourself an ulcer getting so mad and "fed up" about this. People like you who take offense at others writing their opinions on a game elment should really grow a thicker skin.

On another note, grow up...

Way to debate an issue with name calling in an adult's conversation, cause we all know, personal insults means an automatic "win" for you right?

On a further note, shut up...

See, another wonderful thing is that you can rail and cry all you want, but at the end of the day you really have absolutely zero control over what someone may or may not choose to post on a public forum. That, perhaps is why you are so angry. Had you come into this conversation with some logical discussions about the merits or rebuttal of the ideas itself, it actually *might* have convinced someone to drop the subject if you were proven right. But instead trolling only causes someone to keep doing what you find so intolerable because you can't do a thing to stop it. And that is exactly what I will do, talking about Dryads, discussing the nature of how they are overpowered, talking about balances and exploring options on how future patches might fix them. So it remains to see whether you will learn from this lesson. A) Discuss - and you might get what you want. B) Troll - you get more of exactly what you can't stand. For your sake I hope your people skills in real life is finer honed than here.

Class dismissed.

sleepy
12-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Pointless gripes are replied to with pointless trolls, welcome to the internet. :P

Thanks for admitting that you are a troll. Welcome to the internet.

Keneth
12-03-2008, 12:19 AM
There's no point in discussing possibilities of a fix because you don't need to fix what isn't broken. :mrgreen:

And I'm a troll by nature, it's not something to be ashamed of, we are what keeps every internet community alive, along with people who keep asking stupid questions, and whiners like yourself. :P

bsctgod
12-03-2008, 12:26 AM
this is a single-player game

What he said. I think you've been playing too many MMOs to feel the need to rant about play balance on a single unit in a single player game.

Drama.

ywhtptgt
12-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks for admitting that you are a troll. Welcome to the internet.

Such an angry person. It's a good thing that the large majority of players do not cry a river over a single unit or the internet would've been flooded with (e-)tears.

sleepy
12-03-2008, 12:36 AM
And I'm a troll by nature

Classic, and nuff said.

sleepy
12-03-2008, 12:38 AM
It's a good thing that the large majority of players do not cry a river over a single unit or the internet would've been flooded with (e-)tears.

That must be why that there was a poll from another thread that showed many more people thought Dryads are overpowered than not. Oh wait, you want to make it seem like you are the majority to pretend you actually have a case...

Sucks, doesn't it?

JudgeMan
12-03-2008, 12:54 AM
There's a difference in admitting the unit is overpowered and coming in here crying about it, trying to push your arguments on everyone else when it is CLEAR that absolutely nobody cares about it.

If you don't like it, don't use it. OR if you REALLY want to use it but you feel cheap because it is OH SO utterly overpowered, go mod the dryad's files and remove all it's abilities and lower it's stats.

Ryastar
12-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Sleepy:

lol, you are frickin hilarious, man. Speaking of needing a thicker skin, way to totally ignore everything i actually said about the topic and instead rant about how i am a troll. Because it`s fun, i am going to pretend that you are refering to the monster which (sadly) does not appear in KB:TL. This i consider a complement because trolls are cool.

That being said, in the spirit of Mission Impossible, i will say again what i said earlier. For your convienience, I also will give you a link to it: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=5517
My comment is about halfway down the page. The stuff you are looking for is partway through the first paragraph. Now to restate it: King`s bounty is a wonderful thing called a single player game. This means that the triumphs, failure etc. are between just you and your computor. For that reason, all the control is yours. If you don`t like a unit, don`t use it. They will form a very small proportion of what you will face, and therefore won`t have too much of an effect on the game. Also, agreed, Dryads have powerful abilities, however, seeing as their damage is pretty horrible (even with +2 damage from Isshara`s whip and the poison daggar and numbers in excess of 1000, they did the least damage of all my troops) and other troops also have powerful abilities, they are hardly overpowered, and, like i have now said several times, i you don`t like it, then don`t use them.

Do i win because of the insults? Seeing as they seem to have prevented you from actually replying to my arguments, i think maybe i do :)

Class dismissed (after all, I am on exam break, and won`t have any classes until January)

sleepy
12-03-2008, 01:08 AM
way to totally ignore everything i actually said about the topic and instead rant about how i am a troll.

And you are surprised because...? If you want people take you seriously and you want to discuss an issue based upon its merits, try ditching insults such as "grow up', "shut up", etc. Edit your post and I'll be more than happy to talk civil with you. But of course you weren't actually interested in discussing anything at all or you wouldn't have told someone to shut up, but instead striking out blindly baiting and flaming, then pretending to act surprised when you are not taken seriously. Act like a troll and don't be shocked that whatever message you tried to convey is lost in the flurry of your flames. Act like a kid. Treated like a kid.

Keneth
12-03-2008, 01:37 AM
My, aren't we condescending, and you're calling me a troll. :mrgreen:

Ryastar
12-03-2008, 01:51 AM
And, again, lol, that`s frickin hilarious. Nice passive-aggresive response, Sleepy. Now let`s just drop the pretense here. If you really believed all you said here, you wouldn`t be respond to my “insults” with more “insults”. For someone who is claiming to take the moral high ground, you are doing a very good job of doing exactly what i am doing. I have made my points, now either respond to them, or shut the hell up.

Ryastar
12-03-2008, 02:44 AM
Oh, and as for pretending to act suprised, i`m not. Suprised, that is. It doesn`t suprise me at all that you ignore my arguments to instead just “insult” me.

I will not edit my post. I stand behind what i said.

sours
12-03-2008, 03:50 AM
I used paint to cut out the section of the pic i wanted. Then, paste it in a new paint page and there you go.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb78/sourpower79/60ksmall.jpg

sleepy
12-03-2008, 05:07 AM
My, aren't we condescending, and you're calling me a troll. :mrgreen:

Your own words : "And I'm a troll by nature". Next.

sleepy
12-03-2008, 05:08 AM
I will not edit my post. I stand behind what i said.

Of course not. Like I said in my reply earlier, you really were only interested in slinging mud, trolling and flaming. Why should someone like that change his post if his intention was to actually discuss the matter at hand? Stand by your words, with foot squarely in mouth. :)

sleepy
12-03-2008, 05:11 AM
playing too many MMOs to feel the need to rant about play balance on a single unit in a single player game.

So if it is a single player game there is no need for balance? Great. How about a level 1 troop that costs 1 leadership that has the ability to do 999k damage to all stacks with one click? Its a single unit in a single player game, so that must be alright, correct? Yeah, that excuse is THAT silly.

Nike-it
12-03-2008, 05:53 AM
Guys, too much of offensive post! You have PM to present you attitude to each other! This thread is closed from now!