PDA

View Full Version : Resurrect, Sacrifice, Phantom.....hard to get?

YENKO
11-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Are 'cheesy' spells like Resurrect, Sacrifice, Phantom, Griffin etc hard to get? I hear some people found their Resurrect spell only in the game's last third?
Comments?

Keneth
11-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Found sacrifice on isles of freedom, resurrect in elinia, phantom in darion. Who cares? Where's the fun in playing if everything's given to you on a silver platter? :-P

YENKO
11-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Found sacrifice on isles of freedom, resurrect in elinia, phantom in darion. Who cares? Where's the fun in playing if everything's given to you on a silver platter? :-P

Yea, but getting some old, battered rusty platter is really no fun :)

TemjinGold
12-01-2008, 04:17 AM
Are 'cheesy' spells like Resurrect, Sacrifice, Phantom, Griffin etc hard to get? I hear some people found their Resurrect spell only in the game's last third?
Comments?

I'd say that Griffin spell is pretty hard to get... :cool:

Gatts
12-01-2008, 07:29 AM
That makes Paladin so vaulable - he starts with Resurrection. (in some games I didn't get ressurection all the game - and I am pretty precise in visiting shops and getting chests) If I got it - I got it mostly in the second half of the game.

The same goes for "armageddon" strategy - the strategy is great - until you realize you can't purchuase armageddon anywhere - (it is mostly even in Demonis, but not always)

So YES - it is tricky to get VIP spells - what is of course the point here - it is the intend of game devs and I like it :)

Keneth
12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
You do realize that VIP is a noun and it stands for very important person, right? :-P

Smash
12-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks god for ability to exchange map for spells otherwise high intellect mage would cry loud like baby :).

tjoepee
12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
I got them all the games I played the sets are harder to get and especially the dragon necklace.

YENKO
12-04-2008, 04:43 PM
After some weeks at KB:L, i started to be royally pissed because i lacked all those 'VIP' :D spells. Now i can happily announce that i found my long long sought after Resurrection spell :). In Kordor, it was sitting under a pine tree :) Not long after, i waded toward the demon land, and was eaten by that stupid whale, and there the resident dorf had Phantom spell for sale :) yay.
Now i can really throw wild parties with phantom+shamans=totems everywhere :D
I'm in love with this game, methinks ;)

tjoepee
12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
After some weeks at KB:L, i started to be royally pissed because i lacked all those 'VIP' :D spells. Now i can happily announce that i found my long long sought after Resurrection spell :). In Kordor, it was sitting under a pine tree :) Not long after, i waded toward the demon land, and was eaten by that stupid whale, and there the resident dorf had Phantom spell for sale :) yay.
Now i can really throw wild parties with phantom+shamans=totems everywhere :D
I'm in love with this game, methinks ;)

congrats try use every kind of units and u will even love the game more. I started to use wolves in my 4th paythrough they seem useless but are fun, :D

Gatts
12-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Sometimes you don't know how usefull a unit is till you really don't try it... for instance Wolves look much more interesting than bears- still bears proved much more useful for me than faster wolves - I wouldn't believe it when not seeing it :)

BTW: I just started new game for Mage - and found "PHANTOM" scroll in the Mage Academy... (where you pick up the rage cage)... LUCKY!

lauvhk
12-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Marshan Swamp cementary/crypt run is great for acquiring higher end spells even though they are always random. They are most of the time my first stop when I start a new game.

YENKO
12-05-2008, 01:08 PM
I just started new game for Mage - and found "PHANTOM" scroll in the Mage Academy... (where you pick up the rage cage)... LUCKY!

Upon restarting the game a couple (dozen) times, the best spell i ever found in the first 2 castles+mage academy was Phoenix. Not a bad spell, but the items sucked so bad, that i restarted again. This time i got crap spells but got the Gladiator Sword and the banner with +800 leadership. :)

Smash
12-07-2008, 08:47 PM
I failed to see how phantom is useful for a mage?

Gatts
12-08-2008, 09:33 AM
I failed to see how phantom is useful for a mage?

well - I can only tell you how I find it usefull (and I am afraid that my findings are not anyway original or different from other players )

1.) Phantom is useful for mage especially that the % increses by INT - so even if you have less ATT/DEF - you can create greater stack (more units) even if your original stack has less units than it would have for warrior/paladin

2.) many enemies have resistance to many spells - and you may encouter it easier to hand "dummy" to the feet of the enemy instead decreasing their numbers (provoke normal attack - and enemy won't using their killa skills)
- giants won't create earthquake
- beholders and other mind casters may not posses your units
- shooters will shoot dummy as they want benefit from "no range penalty"
- foot troops will gather around your dummy, losing all their planning - as AI will fully abandon it's way to attack your shooter, but go for "hit nearest" tactic (you will gain at least 2 turns thill enemy will re-taticise their moves)
- when enemy is not paying attention on battlefield - you can use much more "techniques" like snake bite, bandit strike, strike and return for units that have not retaliation etc...
You can use area effect dmg spells even hitting you phantom guy - normally enemy units would try to attack your ranks scattered (possible far away from each other) but now you can hit them all with firerain...

Still - many battles (like many suppress item battles) have very random tactics and use random targets - so phantom would not be as useful as other spell - still you can use phantom non-upgraded and still gain nearly 100% of the tactics benefit on hard-core battlefield

I use it very often when my vampires are too low on numbers - enemies will start hitting the phantom one (who may survive thanx to life steal ability longer than it would) my original vamps could freely suck their numbers back from the ingorant enemy...(sacrifice needs other stack, ressurection does not work, god armor does not work - if there would not be phantom - I would lost much more of my precious vamps)

For me is phantom very important - much more than damage spells.

When I play mage, I never select leadership for first 15~20 levels (nearly 75% of the game) so I could not withstand direct skirmish - but phantom makes the enemy tactic useless - no damage spell can do this - as with fantom I not only defend my ranks, I gather the enemies where I want to have them - I play a role of indirect puppeteer -> when having only Fireball - this is most important... and it is even better than any possesson spell - as by this you can gather all enemy units where you want them, not only the possessed one :) (+ you can use magic spring on phantom unit and get all you mana back even with interest)

Believe, if it would be possible, I would much likely use "blast blast" technique - but on impossible it mostly reduces enemy ranks by only 20~25% -> what is not as good as if I can totally desorient enemies, gain 2~3 turns, accumulate even rage from my phantom damage -> and gain the good feeling that I have won not only based on INT/DMG (power of my hero) but thanx to my tactics - I outsmarted them... Fireball can't never give you the feeling of "outsmarting" enemy... Phantom can

YENKO
12-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Not to mention the very elementar use of phantom-stack: cast phantom on a high speed high velocity flier, like the griffin, and in no time you can reach the most dangerous enemy shooter stack, thus forcing it to act melee vs. your phantom unit and losing it's valuable turn, or moving away from it. Next turn, they are cannoneer food (or spell food, whichever comes handy). ;)
At the moment, i am using Pahntom mostly on my shamans to cast it's two totems, especially the healing totem right behind my rangers. One extra healing totem saves for me tons of mana on resurrecting that 1 or 2 killed Inquisitors. The other one, the Death totem can soak one enemy attack, no matter how weak it is or how powerful the enemy stack is. Istill need that Sacrifice spell :( Though, yesterday i found a new spell: Doom :) It is very interesting to use :)