PDA

View Full Version : Trial of Will

lauvhk
11-29-2008, 04:49 AM
What determines the number of runes you get from passing the trial in Magic Academy?

I receive like 7 magic runes in my latest game but probably a lot less, say only 2 or 3 runes, in my other games. There are some remarkable differences though between these gaming sessions:

1. Unlike many previous sessions, I completely forgot about this in my early adventure, only to remember it again when finishing up the Rare Animal quest. So I end up doing the trial at level 12 while it was like level 4 or 5 previously.

2. This time I complete the trial in the 1st round on Hard difficulty, thanks to Fire Rain and low initiative opponents. Do turn elaspe and difficulty have anything to do with the rewards?

Lex
10-26-2011, 01:44 AM
This topic is old, but today I tested this side quest and have some findings to share.

My character is a Mage (difficulty: impossible) and in every battle mentioned below during tests I have 5 Archmages under my control. I must have at least 1000 leadership to start this trial.

During conversation I have two options:
1) "I would like to see what kind of mage I am. Our protective sorcery mentor, Aldares, told me that I may have some ability."
2) "I'm sure that Knight's School mentors teach us better than you sorcerers, and I'm ready to prove it!"

After selecting 1st option I have two difficulties to select:
a) Normal difficulty: battle vs 8 Furious Goblins, 9 Zombies, 6 Swordsmen (reward: 20xp, 160gp, 2 runes)
b) High difficulty: battle vs 12 Swordsmen, 8 Orcs, 10 Zombies (reward: 30xp, 230gp, 5 runes)

After selecting 2nd option I have three difficulties to select:
a) Low difficulty: battle vs 8 Furious Goblins, 9 Zombies, 6 Swordsmen (reward: 20xp, 160gp, 2 runes)
b) Normal difficulty: battle vs 8 Swordsmen, 8 Orcs, 8 Zombies (reward: 20xp, 190gp, 4 runes)
c) High difficulty: battle vs 12 Swordsmen, 8 Orcs, 10 Zombies (reward: 30xp, 230gp, 7 runes)

Case 2-Low is the same as 1-Normal
Case 2-Normal is "unique"
Case 2-High is the same as 1-High but in 2-High I am rewarded with 7 runes instead of 5

This quest rather does not depend on character level (I've tested all battles on lvl 4 and lvl 8 and got the same battles/rewards) but it could depend on class - does anyone want to test this?

I am wondering if any other person can confirm my findings: battles and/or rewards? Is 7 runes max? Or we can get somehow more?

Helios
10-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Lex, I've gotten 7 Runes both of my last two games by choosing the conversation options as you posted here.

Lex
10-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Lex, I've gotten 7 Runes both of my last two games by choosing the conversation options as you posted here.
So it seems that 7 runes are really a maximum OR it is some rare situation to get more.

BTW: I've checked two other classes - in these testing games paladin also got these two lines in his dialogue, warrior got only second one. I am not so sure what say about paladin, but it seems a little weird that mage has an option in conversation to gain less magic runes in the end even on hardest difficulty - that option should be for warrior.