PDA

View Full Version : Trackir on consoles?, here some clues..

jt_medina
11-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Taken from the official forum naturalpoint.
http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=24493#Post24493

NaturalPoint - Jim
Hello:

We would love to post a lot of information about this topic, but we really can't be as open as we are used to. We do have prototypes of a Console version and would love if it had support or was integrated into "consoles". Hopefully our great user community will continue to bring this to the attention of the major players, as we are working hard here too.

TofuStoreDrift
05-18-2009, 06:39 PM
I know trackIR is nice, but it is expensive. I'm not sure about the XBox but PS3 already has the tech to do something like the trackIR with the ps eye, which is quite a bit cheaper. You could use it to track head movement with a little programming. Sure it won't be as crisp as IR, but it should be good enough, and you won't have to wear a hat.

Raw Kryptonite
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
MS is working on a camera system apparently, and it's accurate enough to recognize movement. They want it to offer game uses like the Wii controller, but without having to use the controller. It's a very short jump to TrackIR functionality, if it can detect forward/backward movement as well.

I've always thought they should incorporate TrackIR into the headset. My X3's have IR sensors on left and right, why not use something just like that for TrackIR? The good thing about gaming on a console is that just about everyone has a headset--even wireless. Flight games would benefit hugely, but also shooters. Imagine leaning over to have your soldier lean around a corner--use those precious few buttons on the controller for some other function. This is something long overdue.

OntheCrab
05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Half the dev time should be spend making sure you don't look like a complete loser. :)

xNikex
05-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Actually, if you look back in this forum you'll see someone brought this up a while ago.

I don't know if it is really worth getting for a console since there's a camera stick.:neutral: Besides the ability to lean like Raw Kryptonite mentioned.

AV 1611
01-24-2010, 03:01 AM
I know trackIR is nice, but it is expensive. I'm not sure about the XBox but PS3 already has the tech to do something like the trackIR with the ps eye, which is quite a bit cheaper. You could use it to track head movement with a little programming. Sure it won't be as crisp as IR, but it should be good enough, and you won't have to wear a hat.

Good enough for me! :)

stealth finger
01-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Ive always wondered how your supposed to look behind you with trackIR. you'd have to move your head 180degress while keeping your eyes on the screen?

Ghillied raptor
01-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Ive always wondered how your supposed to look behind you with trackIR. you'd have to move your head 180degress while keeping your eyes on the screen?

I would assume track IR is an aid not a replacement for looking around.I believe you may still need to adjust the controls to look completely behind you for shooters.Flight games however, I believe you can toggle with the sensitivity.