PDA

View Full Version : Respawining foes?

TerraformX3
11-12-2008, 08:07 PM
This is a great game! :grin:
There are a few things I would like to add, and one of them is foes that respawn after a period of time. Actually I did not know it's possible to make mods for this game. Is there an editor? Or is this done by players who changed game codes?

kadrzys
11-12-2008, 08:24 PM
There's no editor and I don't know if it's possible but I would find this kind of mod very annoying. Imagine going back to Darion after huge progress in the game and meet everywhere very weak wondering stacks (not even xp grind) to avoid for some time saving. I find only 1 use of it: Hypnosis+Sacrifice or having some Peasants and Sacrifice spell then winning easy battle (by this there's no challenge to save 5lvl crits in every battle) or to fill up Rage but for what?

Telstar
12-02-2008, 08:39 PM
I would like it! So I can continue playing and level my spirits :)

Keneth
12-02-2008, 09:48 PM
There's no way to do it as far as I know but I have been thinking of making an item with the sole purpose of fighting in an arena, you would upgrade it once to a different version and that version would upgrade back to the old version, making it an endless loop. This would be game breaking, more than it already is, but it would provide me with a better way to test my stuff and others with a way to exploit stuff. Actually, it might be better if it were more than just two versions and a different type of army each time....

Gatts
12-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Well - as MODs are optional - and I could deactivate it anytime - I would surely try it.

Still to make it more interesting (respawning enemies) I would like to add some variability to the respawned army... like:

1.) It's strenght will be more relying heroes stats / level (so if you return after you are stronger, even the respawned army will be stronger)

2.) It will increase in power regardless of you actual level (so the respawned army will be stronger even if you are not)

3.) If the army was led by hero - let the hero learn the spells you used in the previous combat + increase his INT (also give the hero option of casting twice if the neutral hero is "mage class")

4.) Add full new stack of units - could be based on country (in elven lands some elves, in dungeon dwarves or beholders)

5.) give the enemy hero (if army was led by hero) some artefacts - but you won't get them even if you win (just to give some bonuses to neutral heroes from artefacts)

Still, even if any of my 5 points would NOT be possible - I would try respawning armies - but I am afraid that it would be useful only for upgrading items (after x battles you get something)

Otherwise it could be bothersome to fight on 30th level 20 archers and 30 thorns... :) (just lost time)

YENKO
12-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Respawn? For what? For exp? Then the easiest way would be to work only on the Pirates, since they do not attack. Make the game check the hero strength (the game does that anyway when determining if the enemy army is 'weak' or 'overwhelming'), then roll a dice (slightly weaker to impossible) and spawn the pirate ship. After some time, there will be only 'impossible' pirates left, forcing you to actually employ your brain instead of going after easy battles only. Hey could be interesting, and the game would last longer. I can already visualise some of the oh-so bragging topics on the forum, with screenshots included :)
To avoid 'before-endgame' leveling up and after that battling only weak armies, the 'mod' could be accessible only after say, the final battle (unlock), since after that, there is nothing to do for the hero anyway.

Browser
12-06-2008, 07:11 PM
I like the idea of respawning enemies after a long enough time. Though I also think it could be annoying having to take the time to kill or avoid the weak ones so they would have to be strong enough to be somewhat of a challenge and give worthwile rewards for killing.

Warmonger
12-07-2008, 06:08 AM
I do believe once you made them respawn, there is no problem with increasing their number at the same time ;)

Additionally it would be interesting to make them grow every day, so coming back to already visited lands would bring some troubles.

Keneth
12-07-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't think anyone is currently entertaining the idea of making this mod but Lestas and I are considering making that portable arena. Besides, respawning foes at the end of the game is kinda pointless since even impossible mobs aren't really much of a challenge at that point. :grin: