PDA

View Full Version : Impossible Warrior challenge

Zhuangzi
11-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Okay, okay, so I'm starting my FOURTH game of King's Bounty. :rolleyes:

I decided it would have to be Impossible Warrior, which is a change for me because I haven't played the Warrior since the demo. So I am looking for a few hints. :)

I thought that one of the reasons why MajorS did so terrifically well with his Impossible Mage game was because he had the bright idea of saving the Sprites/Lake Fairies you get after the trials and build the stacks up later using Sacrifice. This meant for him that he could start dominating the game as soon as he got Anga's Ring, which is quite early in the game. Great idea, wish I'd thought of it.

But the Warrior doesn't get Sprites and Lake Fairies! He gets crappy Bears, Bowmen and Swordsmen. Yet another reason why Mages are better. :-P So I am disappointed.

In actual fact I started two Impossible Warrior games to see which items I liked the look of better. Game 1 has the 'Sword of Equilibrium' which can be upgraded to Sword of Light later. This looks nice, it gives +5 attack and costs 32,000 gold. Anyone know what Sword of Light gives, and how hard this upgrade fight is? Game 2 has the 'Gladiator Sword' which costs 50,000 gold and gives +4 attack, 15 rage and 10 Might runes after 50 victories. On the face of it, the Gladiator Sword looks slightly better, even though it's more expensive, but presumably the Sword of Light will be very nice later. So I don't know which game to go with...

Any advice on this, and general advice on how to play the Warrior at the higher difficulty levels will be much appreciated! :cool:

sector24
11-04-2008, 01:23 PM
From the favorite items thread:

Sword of Light
+5 Att (+10 during daytime combat)
-20% def of undead and demon

The sword of equilibrium's morale goes up when you fight demons and undead, down when you fight humans and elves. It changes when the morale hits 100 or 0. I don't know what the stats on the sword of darkness are. Personally I'd go with the Gladiator sword because you don't have to worry about using it only against certain types of enemies.

As for a Warrior build, I don't know a whole lot about it, but I'd imagine that you want to put all your early runes towards increasing the experience for your spirits of rage, then the warrior specific talent that generates more rage, then the +rage skill. After all that, get tactics, 1 point of frenzy, 1 point of onslaught (maybe more) and nighttime operations.

In the mind tree the only thing you would want is 1 point of scouting and glory and 2 points in reserve. I think you can skip trading unless you really feel like you're going to be strapped for cash.

For the magic tree, you want distortion 3 as soon as possible. Chaos 1 after you find sacrifice, and then order or concentration.

If score is important to you, get Reserve 2 before you go to the Islands of Freedom. Drag extra Royal Snakes and Inquisitors with you and leave them in the first castle. That way you don't have to go back to Darion for reinforcements.

This is probably all stuff you already know though. Let us know how it goes! :grin:

Zhuangzi
11-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks for that, sector. :)

I decided to go for the game with the Gladiator Sword. I figured that the attack modifier isn't that important per se, and that I'd rather have a combination of attack/rage/might runes.

My strategy was to get the ragebox ASAP and to leave as many enemies as possible until then. I got the Ring of Intellect level 2 which adds 3 Intellect permanently, which I was happy with. I got the ragebox at level 3 and then scoured Darion for everything I could pick up + fed ex type quests. After doing this I was level 5 and the fights in Greenwort were absurdly easy. I think I went 20 or so fights without a single loss.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that a 'No losses Warrior' game would be virtually impossible, wouldn't it? The Warrior gets no spells at all at the beginning, i.e. no Resurrection.

Now the fights are getting a bit harder and I'm losing a few troops. I lost all but one of my Horsemen eventually (keeping this one for Sacrifice later), but I've got plenty of Knights. I haven't used them much before but their Circle Attack is very strong.

Currently my team is Knights, Royal Snakes, Swordsmen and Inquisitors. I know, only four. I am finding that Inquisitors are much more useful for a Warrior, due to their ability to add rage.

I agree that Distortion 3 will be an early priority. I won't bother about Chaos, because they are all offensive spells. I feel helpless without my spellbook. :eek: I put one point into Scouting and one into Experience (10% more, nice early in the game) but I won't bother much more with the Mind tree. I will have to max everything in Might though.

By level 6 I had saved up the 50,000 gold I needed for the Gladiator Sword, so now I've got that. 39 fights until I get my Might runes. And it's only day 3.

The great thing about this game is the variation, both due to the random items and the MASSSIVE differences between the three classes. Really, it's like a different game, the difference between Warrior and Mage. :cool:

sector24
11-04-2008, 02:56 PM
My class 2 ring of intellect gave me 3 mana instead of 3 intellect. I was very disappointed.

Calinda
11-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Why, no loses with warrior is pretty possible, just drag inquisitors with yourself all the time. As you said, besides the resurrection, they generate rage with the holy anger. Rage can be turned into mana via the chargers skill of Lina. Until you get Lina you can recharge your mana by using Magic Spring and eventually Target, depends on situation. Target spell is one of the most important ones for warrior. It has short duration but you can extend it by cating it after the target unit has moved if the situation allows it, and waiting it when the last turn of it is about to expire.
Besides inquisitors I like to drag archmages with me all the time, mainly for their shield spell which is very important for your tank in the hard battles. Lvl 3 stoneskin + shield from mages and your tank wil barely suffer any physical damage at all.
When you are tanking ranged units consider leaving your tank in the back line so the enemy suffer from range penalty.

BlackVegetable
11-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Sword of Darkness if I remember correctly gives the +5 attack (+10 in nighttime) but I *think* gives the -20% defense to humans/elves. Not certain though as I don't really remember for sure.

Zhuangzi
11-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I haven't really used Target before but I will learn for this game. I suppose the Inquisitors can resurrect too, but it doesn't seem like they can do so in large enough numbers early in the game. Basically, I haven't learned the knack of 'no losses.' I seldom lose very much at all, but I will often lose a couple of Swordsmen or a Royal Snake here and there.

Calinda
11-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Just sneak around and steal a couple of banners early on and you can wipe most of the stacks without any loses. I usually go for archers/archmages/priests/inquisitors + horsemen (sneak into the knight's tent). Horsemen tank very well, you can do it with swordsmen/guards instead but it is harder so why bother.

And about Target - there is more in it than what meets the eye, as it also prevents the use of special abilities if you play it properly. I.e. if an unit is in the Target's range for its normal attack, it will use it and won't use the special abilities. Also be careful when you block the basic attack of some ranged units, cause they can turn to specials then.

calmon
11-05-2008, 11:08 AM
My class 2 ring of intellect gave me 3 mana instead of 3 intellect. I was very disappointed.

But you still get the 3 permanent intellect which makes them as one of the best items.

Zhuangzi
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
But you still get the 3 permanent intellect which makes them as one of the best items.

What happens sector is that equipping that ring gives 3 intellect, but when you use it you get the 3 intellect permanently, so it won't appear to have changed. Still with me? And now you've got the level 1 ring, which gives 3 mana. You can sell that and you've still got the 3 intellect. :cool:

calmon
11-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Hmm, i'm not sure what you want to say. I know what happens when using the ring. It got his worse form (class 2) and you can easily replace it.

But maybe i'm just not seing the joke in sectors original post ;)

sector24
11-05-2008, 01:09 PM
No, what I'm saying is that I did not get the intellect. When I used the ring, my intellect went down 3 and my mana went up 6. Three permanent and 3 for the ring. Then I took the ring off, and I kept +3 mana. Still better than nothing, but not what I was expecting. I've been having other problems with the game as well. Like any time the reward for a quest is mind runes, the game doesn't put the blue graphic in parenthesis like it's supposed to and I never get the runes. Like when fighting your double, it would say:

Reward Might Runes (:-P) 2 pcs. Mind Runes (:!:) 2 pcs. Magic Runes ( ) 2pcs.

And I wouldn't get any magic runes. Not that I'm complaining. I've got Lake Fairies. :-P

Zhuangzi
11-05-2008, 01:37 PM
That is weird. At least the game is playable for you, I guess. :confused:

My game is very easy. It's 9am on day 5 and I am ready to go to Freedom Isles, having just reached level 9. But as it will be 7am on day 6 when I arrive, I might as well do a couple more things in Darion first (upgrade fights, tournaments etc).

I got my 10 Might runes from the Gladiator Sword. I seem to have most of the Might tree upgraded already (not really all of it - but up to Tactics 1 and Nighttime Commander 2). I have my beloved Trade 3 as usual in the Mind tree, but that's basically it. No Glory or Reserve yet - I will have to use Castles to garrison troops for a while. And I have Distortion 3 in the Magic school, and not much else (Healing 1, Order 1). I have decided that Chaos is out of the question - in fact Concentration probably isn't all that necessary for the Warrior.

So the strategy for now is to use Trap 3 extensively (I think my Intellect is around 10) - no Phantom as yet. Presumably the Warrior should steer clear of direct damage spells due to low intellect/mana, and that basically rules out Chaos. Distortion would appear to be the way to go. And of course Leadership is a high priority - I think I have 3300 already. In Freedom Isles I will aim to marry Mirabella and stock up on Sea Dogs/Pirates and Shamans. And now it's time to sleep. :-P

kennec
11-05-2008, 10:43 PM
i am in to

consider your self challanged!!!

my paladin game is stuck at lvl 26 and i am bored of it as hell. he got very retarded artifacts all over.

i start impossible warrior now to. hope i can post in your thread zhuan to

Zhuangzi
11-06-2008, 03:58 AM
i am in to

consider your self challanged!!!

my paladin game is stuck at lvl 26 and i am bored of it as hell. he got very retarded artifacts all over.

i start impossible warrior now to. hope i can post in your thread zhuan to

Of course you can. :) I am not 100% sure I will finish this game though. It is my fourth game after all. My interest is FINALLY starting to wane (after 200+ hours of play).

kennec
11-06-2008, 04:31 AM
its an awesome game

altough game gets pretty silly in end game when computer patrols have 3-4 times heroes forces. impossible withhout rage and magic.

i love being lowbie again :)

update: i am now lvl 5 clearing noob lands. i went for distortion magic and upgraded my rage skills (max,xp,inflow). i got poison rage stone lvl5, he got a good poison cloud an worst evil shoal atm.

i found warrior are much more dependent on rage skills. with paladin i just spammed resucrection and with mage fireballs in early stages of game.

my plan is to go with an archer army with mayby one strong melee force in front.

Zhuangzi
11-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Yep, well I'm struggling a bit now. Amazing contrast with my Impossible Mage game where I smashed my way through Freedom Isles with level 3 Ice Snake. This time I am having to do the quest fights first (as they don't seem to scale to 170% strength like normal stacks). So I killed Thorny Pete, the dude in the Western Isles castle, then Captain James. These were easy, but I wanted Mirabella so I had to try to kill the Kraken too.

It's much harder for me because I had become used to Chaos spells being my primary attacking force, especially in boss fights. Flaming Arrow 3 is an outstanding spell for boss fights as it only uses 5 mana. But no Chaos in this game. :-x I had a hard time beating the Kraken at level 10 using Sea Dogs, Pirates, Swordsmen, Barbarians and Archers. The tactic was to use Dragon Arrows 2 on the Archers and kill the devilfish with the rest. But it didn't work. It took too long and the Kraken's devilfish get stronger too quickly. If you can't win this fight by about turn 20 you are in trouble, as I discovered.

Really I would have been better with Orc Shaman, but I knew there were some tough fights along the way there, so they are out of reach for now. :evil:

I finally won when I got rid of the Barbarians (I also tried my Priests which were useless) I won with Thorn Hunters. I still lost quite a lot of stuff though. Feanora's children were rubbish in this game, so after the fight I said goodbye to her, giving her 3 out of the 12 coins I had. That's broke. :eek:

So now I have Mirabella, the Pirate Flag, Chieftan's Belt, Gladiator Sword, Knight's Sword with full stacks of Sea Dogs, Pirates, Archers, Swordsmen and Royal Thorns. And no money. Sea Dogs are up to 61 attack though, so hopefully I will be able to clear out everything now. :confused:

Oh and I think Freedom Isles is about the most boring past of the game. xp grind.

kennec
11-06-2008, 08:38 PM
zhuan. whut units and tactics did u use to kill the giant turtle? and at whut lvl? he seems hard with no magic or rage hehe

i am lvl 5 with priests,2 archmages,swordmen,5 horsemen,archers with 6000 gold and crappy artifacts ;)

Zhuangzi
11-06-2008, 09:35 PM
I think I left the turtle until at least level 7, possibly level 8. Basically, you can get up to level 9 in Darion before going to Freedom Isles, and I would recommend doing this. Clear out everything except Staff of Destruction (i.e. levels 1 and 2 of Rezo's Tower) and Enemen's castle.

I don't recall exactly what I did for the turtle, but it was nothing special. I wasn't using any ranged units except for Inquisitors, and I had no good direct damage spells for the turtle. I suppose I had leadership of about 3000 by then though, so I hit it with Royal Snakes (no retaliation) and maybe the Swordsmen as well. You could use Thorn Hunters as another ranged unit, or if you find Dragon Arrows you can use Bowmen. I've never had a problem with the turtle, but I wouldn't try it at level 5.

Now the Kraken was a different story (see above). Thank God for the young Simpson brother and the Clear Crystal (worth 50,000 gold). That's what Trading 3 is worth - the ability to sell things for full price. It only costs 6 Mind runes to do Trading 1, 2 and 3. Best runes I ever spent. :cool: But I am hovering around 70,000 gold now, which is low.

Victor86
11-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I think I left the turtle until at least level 7, possibly level 8. Basically, you can get up to level 9 in Darion before going to Freedom Isles, and I would recommend doing this. Clear out everything except Staff of Destruction (i.e. levels 1 and 2 of Rezo's Tower) and Enemen's castle.

In my experience it's better to defeat the turtle as soon as you can and than go to Freedom Isles buy a boat and pick up all you can (without any fighting involved ) and also do the quest that gives you anga's ring , not for the ring, it's pretty useless at the moment but for the exp , on imposible I think it's 5000 or something like it. All the leadeship flags , money , runes etc you find there will buff you up A LOT so you could clear what's left to clear in Darion very easily. It should double the leadership and add 30-40 k gold on impossible.
Probably you've been doing this but I thought to wright it for the players new to the game.

garzahd
11-07-2008, 03:09 AM
My mage only got to level 6 on Impossible so far, but I have a funny story about the turtle.

The turtle's melee targeting strategy seems to be "whichever target has been in melee range for the longest amount of time". Which can be exploited as follows:

Bring 3 stacks of ranged units, 1 stack of Thorn Warriors and 1 fast-moving throwaway stack. Charge in with the fast stack and get it killed off so the thorns can spawn extras. But make sure the thorns move into melee range before spawning. Then, a couple rounds later when the parent stack of thorns is dead, the child spawn uses the parent's corpse to make more thorns. Rinse and repeat. The turtle will always attack the stack that has just used its spawn ability. And, although the stack size reduces each cycle, it always rounds up to 1.

Calinda
11-07-2008, 07:25 AM
For Kraken as warrior - warrior strength is mainly in his comparative army size, so you want to do as much as possible in the starting land before you go to the freedom isles. I had only 2 fights in the old royal castle, and the cursed child before i left for freedom isles, and was close to lvl 12 I think. Leadersip comes every even level, so its much easier to kill the Kraken at 14 for example.
Also you can get easier the night fight thing, and leave the harder battles for when the night comes. +6 attack and defence makes huge difference, especially early on.

Zhuangzi
11-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Well I have already done most of the main quests in Freedom Isles and I am still level 11 (nearly 12) with 5600 leadership. I cleared out virtually everything in Darion and I took one point of Experience (+ 10%) early on. I take leadership whenever it's offered. Currently I'm using Sea Dogs, Pirates, Archers, Orc Shamans and Swordsmen. I'm actually losing money by fighting mostly Match stacks. Not much money, but my 70,000 gold is now only 40,000. I think this is because my ragebox is still quite weak, and I have crappy spells. The only one I am using much at the moment is Trap.

MUCH harder than Mage. :!:

EDIT: a bit later, I took 700 leadership at level 12, and killed Duke Sov easily. Then I decided that I would have to return to Darion instead of clearing out Freedom Isles completely. You have to come back for the Holy Indulgence quest anyway. I don't know how people get to Ellinia on day 9 though - I am already up to day 8. I think that this isn't going to be a high score game.

mzprox
11-07-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm currently playing my warrior on impossible. so far i'm going well.
At lvl 5 i had ~ 1300 leadership, then i killed the turtle plundered freedom islands and when i came back i had 3700 leadership :). After this clearing the starting area was very easy. My army was: inquisitors, canoneers (i found some in the islands and a sacrifice scroll as well :) ), marauders (also from the islands, gave me much money to be able to buy some good artifacts), ancient bears and evil beholders (from the swamp).
I left 2 heroes on the islands cleared the rest. From the orc embassy i could buy shamans they replaced my ancient bears and soon my marauders were replaced by griffins. My army remained the same since then and i'm already at the elves. i had around 3-4 battles so far when i had significant losses (the orc embassy, fighting the future self etc) the rest was quite easy and mostly w/o any causalities. My warrior is lvl 18, day 12, leadership around 11k and i have around 800k gold. (gold is not an issue as i play mostly w/o losses. when i fought my future self i have bought a completely different army just for that fight, then i left the survivors behind and continued with my original party :) )
This army really shines. the battles are not short but i can controll it very well. in the first round i can usually disable every ranged enemy and the melees stay at their line as well (with totems, cloned griffins, a well placed iceball (now it has 1500 hp).
An other interesting thing about my warrior is that it1s quite possible that he may have 30 int quite soon. that means 2+2 turn clones which is one of my most used spell.

kennec
11-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm currently playing my warrior on impossible. so far i'm going well.
At lvl 5 i had ~ 1300 leadership, then i killed the turtle plundered freedom islands and when i came back i had 3700 leadership :). After this clearing the starting area was very easy. My army was: inquisitors, canoneers (i found some in the islands and a sacrifice scroll as well :) ), marauders (also from the islands, gave me much money to be able to buy some good artifacts), ancient bears and evil beholders (from the swamp).
I left 2 heroes on the islands cleared the rest. From the orc embassy i could buy shamans they replaced my ancient bears and soon my marauders were replaced by griffins. My army remained the same since then and i'm already at the elves. i had around 3-4 battles so far when i had significant losses (the orc embassy, fighting the future self etc) the rest was quite easy and mostly w/o any causalities. My warrior is lvl 18, day 12, leadership around 11k and i have around 800k gold. (gold is not an issue as i play mostly w/o losses. when i fought my future self i have bought a completely different army just for that fight, then i left the survivors behind and continued with my original party :) )
This army really shines. the battles are not short but i can controll it very well. in the first round i can usually disable every ranged enemy and the melees stay at their line as well (with totems, cloned griffins, a well placed iceball (now it has 1500 hp).
An other interesting thing about my warrior is that it1s quite possible that he may have 30 int quite soon. that means 2+2 turn clones which is one of my most used spell.

lol

30 int with an lvl 18 warrior?

Zhuangzi
11-07-2008, 09:55 PM
I am having bad luck with spells in this game. No Sacrifice, no Phantom. Although I guess I won't be using Sacrifice at all if I don't get Chaos. But I rushed through Creiston Mines to get Lina up and running, and now I'm back to three of my favourite units - Royal Snakes, Griffins and Orc Shamans. These guys seem to turn up in every game. :-P

I am going to give up on completing this quickly. It sucks how I feel guilty for wanting to go back to Freedom Isles AGAIN to get more Sea Dogs. Forget the score. :)

mzprox
11-07-2008, 10:11 PM
lol

30 int with an lvl 18 warrior?

"only 22" so far, but i have the pain skull which will give me +5 int soon and i will get that artifact from the shaman which will give 3 int 10 mana. Currently i have Feanora as my wife (+3 int), my armor gives 2 and some leadership, my helmet gives +3, an artifact gives +4 (and 15 mana) and one of my sword gives +2.

Zhuangzi
11-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Well, my Intellect is nowhere near that. Maybe 10. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have decided to change my strategy. Instead of progressing through the game in a linear fashion (i.e. clear out Freedom Isles, then Kordar, then Ellinia) I have decided to follow the main story quests to open up new areas. This was also done to get the two final rage spirits, both found in Kordar. So I took on the castle for Reaper long before I was 'ready,' but early enough to actually win with heavy losses.

Then I decided to ditch Mirabella and get the dwarf wife. By running around in Taron Mines, Upper Hardar and Ardan's Peaks, I was able to pick up a LOT of loot without fighting anything. I also got a lot of great artifacts/equipment. I have decided on this team to finish clearing out Freedom Isles (I am nearly level 14 now):

Evil Beholders - 45
Dwarves - 90
Giants - 5
Horsemen - 50 (with Horsemen's shield)
Cannoneers - 50

The Dwarf wife improves the morale, but unfortunately I don't have room for the keg of beer at the moment. I also have the dwarf axe that Tom Digor gives you. All of this stuffing around has set me way back with the time (it's now day 15 and I still haven't cleared Freedom Isles) but I have a team to do the job finally. I am sacrificing the possibility of a high score in order to do the job properly. :-P

Another thing - people often say I shouldn't bother with Trading 3, but I would not have been able to pursue this strategy without it. It's only 6 mind runes in total, and then you can sell everything you want for 100% value. This is how I survived my problems in Freedom Isles, by selling items such as the Clear Crystal, the barbarian totem head, and the Halberd. About 105,000 gold right there. Now I am back down to almost zero money again, but I am not worried because I now have the A team with excellent equipment.

Actually this is more fun than I was expecting - mainly because I am finding it much more difficult than my Impossible Mage game so far. :cool:

kennec
11-08-2008, 03:12 AM
ye warrior is more challange.

easy--->hard

mage-->paladin--->,warrior

altough mage is dependant on spells and all classes on artifacts. bad artifacts for warrior means more for them then on mage i belive.

zhuen : i go for trade 3 to always. gives way better prices on scrolls and items to sell to castles.i dont see where those 6 mind runes are better placed couse u get loads of em. warrior gets few mage ruins though.

Calinda
11-08-2008, 07:39 PM
I completed impossible warrior in 14 days, beat that ;) For screenshots check the hi-score thread.

mzprox
11-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Finally i could upgrade my pain skull to dead skull (for those who dont know this item: you have to wear this artifact for around 50 battles and it halves your mana.. it's really a pain :). but the reward is that after upgrading this artifact it will give +5 attack +5 int. My stats at lvl 20 : 24 att., 15 def, 32 int :)
Unfortunately it doesnt increase the phantom spell duration at 30 int :/. i dont know if its a bug or what. slow/haste/etc get a duration bonus.

kennec
11-09-2008, 10:10 AM
I completed impossible warrior in 14 days, beat that ;) For screenshots check the hi-score thread.

lol

i am lvl 7 in 6 days

Zhuangzi
11-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I've got no idea how he does that, kennec. :rolleyes:

My game is a struggle, pure and simple. But I am determined NOT to just grind my way through the game taking moderate losses in every battle. There is also a money issue that I think might become serious if I allow myself to lose too many troops in Kordar.

I've abandoned any hope of a high score, i.e. I am resigned to having to do a lot of air/sea travel to improve my chances. So instead of trying to grind through Kordar with my faily crappy team (like 9000 leadership and pretty miserable stats, maybe around 12-14 for Attack, Defense and Intellect) I decided to go to Ellinia.

Finally, in Ellinia, I had SOME luck, but not much. The place is teeming with Sprites/Lake Fairies/Dryads to hire, which is a relief, because there were no Lake Fairies in my last game. Basically I am going for the super-elf with Anga's Ruby team. Unfortunately, I can't equip half of the crappy items I have due to the stupid dwarven wife having the wrong slots. And she's so ugly. The obvious thing to do would be to get the elf wife, but I had a problem. Sneaking through Ellinia is easy, but to get the elf wife you have to destroy four stacks. Three of these were Strong but the fourth was Overwhelming, and had about 10 Black Dragons in it! :eek: So I couldn't get past that without heavy losses. No elf wife for now. :evil:

I travelled to the Land of the Dead too to pick stuff up and touch the obelisk. I think I have them all now except the one in Kordar (there is one in Kordar, right? Hopefully in Ardan's Peaks? I can't remember). So hopefully I will at least complete that quest.

So it's day 18 and I'm STILL bogged down in Kordar. No Sacrifice or Resurrection means I will have to go through it with nearly zero losses. :o

EDIT: I finally made some real progress! My elven team is the best, much better than anything from the humans or demons, not to mention the useless undead. Elves rock in this game. And I don't even have the Elf wife or the Dwarven Telescope equipped yet (stupid dwarf wife can't equip it and I've got to have Anga's Ruby). All game I have been really struggling with melee type units such as Mirabella + Sea Dogs and then later my Dwarven team. I have never had much time for the Dwarves either.

Elves though? My goodness. Lake Fairies/Sprites/Dryads/Elven Archers/Hunters + Anga's Ruby + Dwarven Telescope = WIN I just cleared out most of the upper parts of Kordar with one team, losing small numbers of Sprites etc in each fight. I was able to defeat the Giant Spider with zero losses. I was able to win the first AND second double fight easily. That's a total of 5 of each type of rune right there. With Tactics 2 and Anga's Ruby equipped, the flying elves can attack on the other side of the map before the enemy has a chance to move (I've upgraded Outslaught too). Then I realised that I could use Phantom to create a second stack of Dryads, which can be used to Lullaby things when they wake up from the first Lullaby. This made the double fights absurdly easy, as of course Lake Fairies and Sprites are level 1 units, and fall asleep easily. This was awesome.

Elves are the best units in the game, partly because Anga's Ruby is for female fighters and 3 of 4 female units in the game are Elves. And two of the best ranged units are elves too. When I finish with Kordar, I will be able to get the elven wife and equip the telescope. Then it will be domination time. I saw Fire Rain in the Land of the Dead and I have finally made it to Chaos Magic. I'm up to 300,000 gold finally (after very little for most of the game) and I can see that things are going to get easier from now on.

TemjinGold
11-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Zhunagzi: Since you are doing it already, do you know if you can get past +3 Morale? Do you know what the highest morale possible might be? I just want to know if the elf lady + this elf morale arty I have plus all the other junk is over the cap. I like the frog lady's slots better (yeah that sounds bad) so I don't want to swap her out if morale can't get higher.

Victor86
11-09-2008, 09:34 PM
+3 is the cap , everything higher acts like a +3.

Zhuangzi
11-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Zhunagzi: Since you are doing it already, do you know if you can get past +3 Morale? Do you know what the highest morale possible might be? I just want to know if the elf lady + this elf morale arty I have plus all the other junk is over the cap. I like the frog lady's slots better (yeah that sounds bad) so I don't want to swap her out if morale can't get higher.

Yeah, High morale (+3) is as high as it goes, but there is also the issue of what kind of slots the wives have (sounds really bad :eek:) I like a full elf team, and even though the women are happy, the male archers need a little love too from the elf wife. That way everyone can be happy. :grin:

TemjinGold
11-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Ahh... thanks. I'll be skipping unicorns then.

Zhuangzi
11-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Why did I bother with the Elven wife at all? :confused: She has two regalia slots and one artifact/regalia. No weapon slots at all. I don't care about the +1 morale for elves because they already have high morale with Anga's Ruby and also if you use Druids. So she is useless, IMO.

I wanted Xeona instead - who is the best wife in the game as far as I am concerned, so it was off to Demonis. It was very hard to sneak in this time because Katana and another demon army were guarding the portal, but I managed in the end.

To mock me, Fire Rain is EVERYWHERE in this game. I have seen it for sale in maybe six different places. And I couldn't find it at all in my last game. :)

Xeona is a very hard fight at level 20. The elf team didn't really work (partly because I had lost some troops) so I bought up a temporary demon team to do the job. With Xeona on my side, I can equip three weapons in total. You can't go past this, I don't think. A Mage will equip Archmage's Staff, and a Warrior a variety of nice swords, like Kerus' sword.

I've got the Pain skull but it takes so long to do its business. In fact, I have never seen it upgraded before because I HATE losing half my mana. I think it's down to 44%

So, in short, I'm winning. Money is a bit of an issue (only 300,000) but I have an excellent team now and still plenty of stuff to do in Kordar, Ellinia and even a few fights in Freedom Isles. It's day 20 so my score won't be very high.

Oh, and Hunters/Elven Archers are so good with the Dwarven telescope. The only place in the game that seems to reliably sell Hunters is a sorceror's tower in Demonis. He has over 600 for sale. :cool:

If I had Hordes of Lake Fairies/Sprites I would keep using them, but I don't, so here is my team at level 20 with 13,000 leadership:

6 Red Dragons
70 Orc Shamans (Xeona sells them for some reason :rolleyes:)
90 Horsemen
110 Hunters
220 Elven Archers

This is a pretty versatile team with a nice mix of ranged/direct damage, plus some decoy stuff from the Shamans. I am able to beat Match and Slightly Stronger stacks without any losses. :cool:

Calinda
11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Only one remark - with Xeona you may equip 4 weapons, not 3. Warrior can equip 2nd weapon in the shield slot ;)

jake21
11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Why will you skip unicorns? They are great against fire. I like elves but generic elves suck against fire (dragons, deamons) they rock against non-fire (i.e, dwarves/undead).

Ahh... thanks. I'll be skipping unicorns then.

TemjinGold
11-12-2008, 04:57 AM
I was mostly going to use them for the morale bonus. I'll use 2 stacks of elven archers instead.

pillz
11-12-2008, 06:18 AM
I am also on warrior impossible. It's very possible with no losses.

I used this strategy - by lvl 5 i was at demonis grabbing the dragon eggs. Thus now i'm back clearing the basic stuff without any losses at all. I have the sacrifice spell, but currently have not enough intellect to get a dragon out of it ... well that's how i'm doing it at least. Currently my stacks are emerald, black, red dragon and a stack of archdevils.

jake21
11-12-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm a bit confused - how are people getting to demonis at level 5 ? I thought that in order to get there you had to (a) kill the turtle and (b) obtain the dwarven map. It would seem to me that killing the turtle as warrior pre-level 5 is quite a feat (with or without losses). Also, to obtaint he map you need either 50K; kill redbeard or kill john. This also seems quite a feat at pre-level 5. Am I missing something obvious ?

I am also on warrior impossible. It's very possible with no losses.

I used this strategy - by lvl 5 i was at demonis grabbing the dragon eggs. Thus now i'm back clearing the basic stuff without any losses at all. I have the sacrifice spell, but currently have not enough intellect to get a dragon out of it ... well that's how i'm doing it at least. Currently my stacks are emerald, black, red dragon and a stack of archdevils.

Victor86
11-12-2008, 08:33 PM
The turtle can be killed at level 5 and lucky james at level 7 , but I don't know if it can be done without losses.

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-13-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm a bit confused - how are people getting to demonis at level 5 ? I thought that in order to get there you had to (a) kill the turtle and (b) obtain the dwarven map. It would seem to me that killing the turtle as warrior pre-level 5 is quite a feat (with or without losses). Also, to obtaint he map you need either 50K; kill redbeard or kill john. This also seems quite a feat at pre-level 5. Am I missing something obvious ?

Probably cause some people bragging on here are talking absolute bollocks mate!

There are some very lofty claims indeed. People who have never played the game before, or very little, completing it on impossible at the first attempt.... with or without no losses ha ha

The internet is full of insecure attention seekers:rolleyes:

TemjinGold
11-13-2008, 03:58 AM

I don't know about the other difficulties but on impossible, the map is actually 100k, not 50. I seriously don't see how a warrior can defeat James at L7 with no losses but Redbeard is certainly possible. At L5 with no losses all game, you would have to get some insane stuff in the form of artifacts.

Calinda
11-13-2008, 07:23 AM
BTW an easy way to kill turtle is to use 2 stacks of thorns with just a single thorn in each of them. You will need either haste lvl 2 or tactics + haste lvl 1 though, and battle cry. (and may be archmages for the telekinesis). Each of these plants should spawn a new plant from the corpse of the other stack when it is killed. You need battle cry when it spawns a hunter cause his initiative is lower than turtle's. You will get 2 loses in the end but that is not too much ;)

For the maps, may be 100k gold is not that much, as it is somewhat abundant at the islands.

I started a new game, and decided to check how marauders do, and I am pretty impressed by the amounts of gold they can make. With the zombie wife they rock :) They break the morale of the archers but I can live with this so far ...

milo
11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
There is an easy quest in freedom isle that grants you a diamond worth 50000 it is not difficult to get to demonis at level 5 but there are many quests that can be completed in freedom isles and dwarven areas without fighting. Probably there is not alot of point in going to demonis that early..

Zhuangzi
11-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Probably cause some people bragging on here are talking absolute bollocks mate!

There are some very lofty claims indeed. People who have never played the game before, or very little, completing it on impossible at the first attempt.... with or without no losses ha ha

The internet is full of insecure attention seekers:rolleyes:

I don't think that was aimed at me, probably the likes of Calinda, sector24 and MajorS, but I am getting tired of your inferiority complex. I don't think any of them have cheated or made stuff up (why would you bother?). They have just learned how to master the game. :cool:

Calinda
11-13-2008, 11:23 AM
As a matter of fact I managed to kill the turtle at day 2, about 6:40-something in the morning; army used 42 bowmen; 8 archmages; 2 thorn hunters; Hero was lvl 4, and I only used spells haste and battle cry; both mages and thorns were split into 2 groups, for telekinesis x2 and thorn spawn cycling. So at 7:10 on day 2, I am baron with 2600 leadership - nice start to try to beat my previous highscore ;)

sector24
11-13-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't think that was aimed at me, probably the likes of Calinda, sector24 and MajorS, but I am getting tired of your inferiority complex. I don't think any of them have cheated or made stuff up (why would you bother?). They have just learned how to master the game. :cool:

Just from my personal point of view, the score exists for people to compete for the best scores. It's definitely not the kind of thing that everyone wants to shoot for, and I can totally understand why people would think that min/maxers are silly. I just chose a personal challenge that I thought would make the game more fun, and I can tell you that it was significantly more entertaining for me. None of the fights were boring and some of the fights were epic where if I was just playing and didn't care about losing a few guys they'd have been routine. I think some of the zones have a few too many fights that can kind of erode your desire to play, and this was one of the ways to keep things interesting for me.

Zhuangzi
11-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Just from my personal point of view, the score exists for people to compete for the best scores. It's definitely not the kind of thing that everyone wants to shoot for, and I can totally understand why people would think that min/maxers are silly. I just chose a personal challenge that I thought would make the game more fun, and I can tell you that it was significantly more entertaining for me. None of the fights were boring and some of the fights were epic where if I was just playing and didn't care about losing a few guys they'd have been routine. I think some of the zones have a few too many fights that can kind of erode your desire to play, and this was one of the ways to keep things interesting for me.

Um, yeah. :eek: I've almost played this through four times now, which is just nuts given that it takes 60 hours to play the game, and certain areas really seem to grind more than others. On the other hand, I didn't want to try the no losses challenge myself because I know you were doing it (and the russian guy shd has done it before) and also because I knew it would take a lot longer to play.

I love this game more than any game in maybe the last five years, but there are too many fights and the level progression does slow down a bit much. It's a bit stupid how the main quest fights don't scale up in difficulty, meaning that you can defeat General Karador for example but not the dragon that prowls around outside.

Some areas seem to grind more than others as well. I've decided now that Freedom Isles and Kordar are the worst grindfest. Darion, on the other hand, is still extremely fun, and I like Ellinia and the Land of the Dead too.

I'm up to level 23 in my game now. Money is a bit of an issue (only 500,000) but other than that, the game is breezing by. I've already unlocked Haas' Labyrinth but I need to grind through the rest of Ellinia, Land of the Dead and Demonis to increase my level. :rolleyes:

MajorS
11-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Day 10 7:00am just back from defeating Karador and omw to Demonis.

ETA for finish Day 12-13 :D

So far Warrior doesnt play much different than mage (bit harder in the beginning, bit easier now). Im still using Thorns in a stack of 2500 with 4-6 damage (crown + 2x +1 damage weapons) dealing more damage at long range than Elves.

Agree. Its not like such a game has never been there before. Everyone that played HoMM, AoW or the Original Kings Bounty already knows basics and some obviously some of the tactics like Angas + Fairies is already common knowledge.

Calinda
11-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Dunno, in my new game I'm lvl. 10 at 7:00AM on day 3 at freedom isles, with 95% from the starting areas done, all things from there bought, and still have 114k gold :). Its too bad that I'm still missing some important spells, but hopefully I'll find them soon.

Zhuangzi
11-16-2008, 01:53 AM
Okay, so I finished for the fourth time. I posted some stats in the high score thread.

My thinking on the idea that Warrior is harder than Paladin, which is in turn harder than Mage, is as follows:

The difficulty settings disadvantage the Warrior because of the penalty for spirits of rage.

Money is also more of a problem earlier in the game for the Warrior due to increased losses.

Mages start with Fireball 1 (very useful in Darion) and Paladins with Resurrection 1 (very useful all game). The Warrior gets nothing.

Mages get Sprites/Lake Fairies (and I think Paladins do too?) at the beginning, which you can stash until you get Sacrifice and Anga's Ruby. This is potentially very useful.

Higher Magic is the best unique skill. It is absurdly powerful. The Paladin's Runic Stone is very useful in maxing out a lot of the upgrade tree. And the Warrior gets Iron Fist, which is WAY worse. :rolleyes:

All of this makes the Warrior harder IMO, especially earlier in the game. By about half way through though, there isn't much difference. I was able to max Chaos, Order and Distortion by the end of the game, and the Warrior does have higher leadership and some very nice upgrades (Tactics, Onslaught). So if you can get through to Ellinia, things will get much easier.

It took me 30 days this time, which surprisingly was my quickest time. It would have been about 28 if I hadn't wasted time flying when I could have gone through the mines, and I think it would have been 24 or below had I not flown around as much.

milo
11-16-2008, 09:11 AM
I think you under estimate the benefit of the warrior anger ability. Warrior gain rage and the accompanying rage ability upgrades far more easily than the mage or the paladin. Higher magic is not available until probably mid game or later. Warrior is harder at the beginning than mage but progressively gets more competitive as rage abilities become more potent. I am least impressed with the paladin, even with the runic stone ability still didnt have anywhere near enough magic or might runes

MajorS
11-16-2008, 07:42 PM
I finished on Day 11 at 11:00 pm :D

And some Damage Scores for sector24 to beat :D

http://mysite.verizon.net/resw4bgk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/thorns_76093.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/resw4bgk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sprites_79792.jpg

Zhuangzi
11-16-2008, 08:56 PM
That is nuts. Congrats. :cool:

What level where you at the end? Don't say 28+ because I don't see how that's possible. You must have rushed through doing the main questline only, right? :confused:

EDIT: Okay, I saw in the high scores thread that you were level 30. I give up. I could perhaps do this in 20 days but 11? You win. :p

MajorS
11-16-2008, 10:31 PM
I did 2 things. Plan your actions to minimize travel. For an example first visit to the Elven lands i had to leave most of the undead world unfinished, because my flight was leaving ;) (i spend almost exactly 24h on that first visit) But make sure to get the obelisks. On the second and final visit i cleared that area + maze + Murok in 16h. And i also did 2 trips to Freedom Island. I dont think you can clean it on your first visit in 24h anyway, and coming back with huge leadership and better troops helps alot.

Day 1-2: Start clearing everything in Darion. I went for the quest first that gives the free ship and picked banners and treasure before even doing a single fight outside the Training Hall. On Day 3 before 7am with lev 5 i went to kill the turtle(the travel back should happen shortly before 7, or you waste alot of time).

Day 3: Kill Turtle, do more stuff in Darion

Day 4: (shortly before 7am) travel to Freedom Isles. Run around pick up all treasure, runes, banners.

Day 5-6: defeat Redbeard, get Maps and return to Darion (shortly before 7am :D), rest of the day clean rest of Darion and pick up everything thats not nailed down in Kordar and Demonis. I was Lev 11 with 8k leadership at the end of Day 6, also got 5 Giants and max level target (i think if i had gotten the castle in the mines, ork embassy retake quest would have been available, made a mistake here) It may be better to try squeeze this into 1 day and do the rest later, but not sure. I wanted the whip :D

Day 7: Travel back to Freedom Islands (before 7 am). Spend the rest of the day killing everything including Kraken.

Day 8: Return from Freedom islands (before 7) Clean as much as possible in Kordar.

Day 9: Travel to Ellinia (before 7) and do as much as goes into 1 day. (make sure to get all obelisks, so on the last return to Kordar you can finish the Obelisk quest)

Day 10: Return to Kordar/Darion(before 7) finish everything including Demonis. (i made sure to have Sprites and Dryads in my Reserve slots, so i could carry more than my Leadership allowed, since i would get more soon)

Day 11: Return to Ellinia(before 7 of course). Finish undead area, Maze and Murok. I somewhat cheated in the Maze tho. On my way back to turn in the Incarnations quest i saved and if i made too many mistakes picking the path i reloaded. This wasnt really necessary, because i already had the final fight troops (Knights and Horseman in Reserveslot) with me anyway, but i wanted that Quest too. And it was very close in the end.

And my offer again, i can provide all savegames (83 this time). I also stuck with my 1 wife policy (Feanora had the perfect slots and bonus anyway) In addition to that i didnt purchase a single scroll in the game (thats why i ended up without resurrection but i wouldnt have used it anyway)

Calinda
11-16-2008, 11:01 PM
It can be done faster than this. I just killed Redbeard at 1:15 AM on Day 4, and will be Lvl 12 before I go back to Darion in the morning. Probably 10 days is the fastest, dunno, we'll see. Or may be even 9.
BTW MajorS, I killed turtle on day 2.

Zhuangzi
11-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Yep that's very impressive. I noticed something strange this time around - occasionally, NO time would pass when I travelled, as in it wouldn't go to 7am the next day. Anyone else seen this? :confused:

I can see from what you provided that it is possible in 11 days. What I'm still scratching my head about is how you managed to defeat things so easily in this timeframe. I found in my Warrior game that I was struggling a lot for the first half of the game, and to compensate I was travelling around to get a better team.

No matter though - I am going to delete the shortcut to King's Bounty now in the hope that it will stop me from playing the game through for a fifth time. :eek:

sector24
11-17-2008, 12:50 AM
I am seriously impressed as well. I was definitely not that careful with my time. As for the criticals, I'll never be able to beat them with my game, it looks like you had the thorn crown + the whip which would produce insane damage output. I didn't have that option because of the self imposed no losses restriction. I'll be surprised if anyone beats yours though. :)

MajorS
11-17-2008, 03:45 AM
Actually i had that poison dagger +1 too :D. But you can top that with sprites. I only had the +20% fire damage spell (no crystals too upgrade). Sprites would be 7-7(8-8 with dagger) then with bless from inquisitors. Thats what i had on the Thorns aswell. Then just use doom on an extremly low defense lev 1 stack and get a guaranteed crit :D.

@Calinda and yes i wasted some time in the beginning. Half way through i decided to try the 13 days tho.

@Zhuangzi one of the tricks was to not kill stuff in Freedom Isles the first time around but come back second time and with 8k Leadership its a cake. (target + Giants). Karador was tougher but Lev 3 Target gets you through alot of fights. And once you got Inquisitors + Gift + High charges you can spend half an hour resurrecting troops if necessary each fight.

Calinda
11-17-2008, 07:55 AM
I wonder if it is possible to do the freedom islands and do not return there later, just in 1 day ... You will lose at least 2 quests (anga's ruby and the embassy recapture) but this probably will lower the fastest time to 9 days. In my game I have like 6 hours left and I still Need to kill Duke Sov, Kraken, the orcs in The Boot and either the Wild Duke or Manno. I'll try but don't have much time to play right now ...

Edit: It may be possible but I did some calculations with the score formula:
(100 + 91*4) * 3.62 = 1679,68 (9 days, 101 quests)
(100 + 90*4) * 3.66 = 1683,6 (10 days, 103 quests)
This proves that finishing the last 2 quests and losing 1 day for it, is worth it in terms of score. And probably this is the highest score you can get in the game with the current rules, and without cheating ;)

Calinda
11-18-2008, 01:18 PM
So I decided to try to go for this:
(100 + 90*4) * 3.66 = 1683,6 (10 days, 103 quests)

Game is going well so far. I'm lvl 14 at 10AM on day 4, just entered Creiston mines. The plan is to do what I can in the dwarven lands, liberate Bogacho and sign the treaty (!), may be steal what I can in Demonis, then return to the Islands at 6:59 AM on day 5 to finish what I left unfinished there. And that is not much :) Left one of the pirate's sons, bartolomeo, puppeteer and ruin guy, as well as several of those pirate ships.

Zhuangzi
11-18-2008, 10:20 PM
1600 is not that high a score - I'm glad that time isn't everything in the score calculations. I think my highest score is close to 1400 and that was 30 days.

Calinda
11-18-2008, 10:50 PM
1600 is not that high a score - I'm glad that time isn't everything in the score calculations. I think my highest score is close to 1400 and that was 30 days.

1600 not high ... The one I posted is the highest one can get dude.

milo
11-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Don't really care about score personally but are you guys speeding up travel by dying (fleeing from combat) rather than travel back to darion?

MajorS
11-19-2008, 02:58 AM
Don't really care about score personally but are you guys speeding up travel by dying (fleeing from combat) rather than travel back to darion?

I didnt that wouldnt be right as a hero :D

@Zhuangzi i think everyone that beats impossible has beaten the game and done a very good job. After that its just details and how much you are willing to go to the extreme. And just because there are people out there that perform better doesnt mean your win becomes worthless. :D

Zhuangzi
11-19-2008, 03:22 AM
1600 not high ... The one I posted is the highest one can get dude.

Sorry, I worded that wrong. I mean you don't get a much higher score for completing the game in 15 days compared to 30. I realise that it is as high as you can get. :cool:

Calinda
11-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Yup, if you complete same difficulty with same hero level and number of quests completed, then you get like 14-15 points per day for faster finishing. So twenty days difference should be like 290 score or so. Which is not that much, I have to agree.

Gatts
11-19-2008, 11:05 AM

The ring after you upgrade it gives you 3 INT permanently (adds to your hero stats) but the ring itself as it gets "exhausted" from the INT giving - will only bear the bonus of mana +3. ** even if you remove the ring from your inventory/ ring slot - you still would have +3 INT, but not +3 mana (as the mana is still only ring connected, but the 3 INT is yours till end of game - and yes - I found once 2 such rings and had +6 INT in total... even as I read somewhere that this should not happen)

I can't imagine that it would be otherwise, but what I remember is that I was scared as well about the same issue as I didn't know that my INT has risen - but after I have read about it in this forum, and checked my stats - it was true :)

Gatts
11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Yup, if you complete same difficulty with same hero level and number of quests completed, then you get like 14-15 points per day for faster finishing. So twenty days difference should be like 290 score or so. Which is not that much, I have to agree.

I think it is pretty much :)

Calinda
11-20-2008, 10:10 AM
A little update on the score calculations:

I've changed my opinion on what the best score is and now this should be:
(100 + 91*4) * 3.64 = 1688,96 (9 days, 102 quests)
This is because the orc embassy recapture doesn't seem to count as a quest. You have to do the islands in 1 day tho, which indeed is pretty hard, but probably possible. And skip getting Anga's Ruby ...

And here is another (quite brave) suggestion
(100 + 93*4) * 3.64 = 1718,08 (7 days, 102 quests)

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-20-2008, 05:21 PM
A little update on the score calculations:

I've changed my opinion on what the best score is and now this should be:
(100 + 91*4) * 3.64 = 1688,96 (9 days, 102 quests)
This is because the orc embassy recapture doesn't seem to count as a quest. You have to do the islands in 1 day tho, which indeed is pretty hard, but probably possible. And skip getting Anga's Ruby ...

And here is another (quite brave) suggestion
(100 + 93*4) * 3.64 = 1718,08 (7 days, 102 quests)

The horse would get very tired trying to attempt something like that :-)

Gatts
11-21-2008, 09:16 AM
The horse would get very tired trying to attempt something like that :-)

Screw the horse, it is for the greater sake of higher good (max score) - you will just jump on the back of your wife (if any) and yell " yipee yaaaaay! " and speed gallop towards the final battle.

If you don't have any, just steal pegasus from the future.

laffwis
11-23-2008, 10:18 PM
hi everybody,
after finishing mage on impossible, i decided to try it with a warrior, giving me a bigger challenge.

could anyone of you tell me which traits (attack, defense, rage, intelligence, mana) should be given the most priority?

and from what level on should i start chosing leadership when i level up?

and which units would you suggest for the start?

thanks in advance :)

Keneth
11-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Most of these have already been explained, all you gotta do is actual read it. But I'll play ball for a bit, the stats are the same for any character, Int takes priority over Atk and Def, you'll want to have high rage since you'll be relying on spirits more but mana should take priority since you won't have much of it. Leadership depends on how good your skills are, prior to lvl10 it's somewhat of a waste but it might make things too hard for you. As for the units, you'll want less ranged ones due the fact that your nuking abilities will be diminished significantly but besides that, it's no different than with any other character. Royal snakes, bears, thorns at the beginning, maybe an archmage for the shield, swordsmen are alright, skeleton archers for ranged damage, inquisitors if available, devilfish for lots of damage with high crit range, griffons for excellent tanks etc. It depends a lot on your style, whether you're going for 0 losses, and what spells/items you have available.

laffwis
11-23-2008, 11:05 PM
ok, thanks.

didnt expected that INT for a warrior is still top priority.

Metathron
11-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Intelligence a priority for a warrior? Is that because of the difficulty level? Because otherwise it doesn't make that much sense

Smash
11-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Top prior is leadership value.

Keneth
11-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Intelligence and Leadership take priority over anything for any character. Being a warrior is a handicap since you'll still be relying just as heavily on spells but you won't be able to cast as many of them as a mage or have the perks of a paladin like the rez scroll, so you'll want them to be as strong as possible, hence every point counts. Being a warrior also means that you won't get it offered very often at levelups and more of the shrines on the map will be atk/def/rage rather than int/mana.

Metathron
11-24-2008, 12:07 AM
I've only ever played on Normal, so that might be why I have to disagree. With a warrior, I've used different mass spells like bless, battle cry, haste, or stuff like slow or doom, which certainly don't require your intelligence to be high, do they? Striving to have 15 points of intelligence just to increase the duration of your spells by 1 was not even remotely a priority in my game as warrior. In fact, in my current game as paladin, I tend to avoid intelligence on level ups altogether.

Like I said, this difference of opinion probably stems from the difference in difficulty levels, but even on impossible I don't see why a warrior should invest in casting destructive spells (that require high intelligence) rather than utilizing order/distortion magic to boost his already formidable army (due to high leadership, attack and defense values).

Keneth
11-24-2008, 01:08 AM
I haven't said anything about destructive spells, in fact chaos school can be skipped more or less by a warrior as he'll be too busy casting other spells to use any of them effectively save Sacrifice. But having a high intelligence makes a huge difference with spells like magic axe, ghost blade (these become useless in the second half of the game but can make a make fights a lot easier at the beginning), resurrection, heal, sacrifice, phantom, etc. I've never once used use bless, battle cry, doom, slow, and many other buffs, it seems like a waste of spell when you can make another phantom or reduce the enemy stack to avoid losing any troops in the long run (making cannon fodder costs less than resurrecting troops). And having that one extra round on haste, stoneskin, magic spring, invisibility etc. can also turn the battle largely in your favour. Don't misunderstand here, even if you take every chance you get to boost your int and use every item, you'll still have a hard time getting anywhere past 30. But the point is, 1 point of intelligence will make a much bigger difference than 1 point of attack or defense, especially since you can get these at every turn if you want.

pillz
11-24-2008, 04:47 AM
sorry have been away. i think most people are too fixated on the traditional way to do things.

Basically to get ot Demonis early in the game you just have to:
1. Use thorn to kill turtle
2. Pay your way thru lucky james, half of it can be financed by clear eye

You can always come back to kill lucky james later, no big deal. The amount of gold you pick up in demonis far outweighs the money you spend early on, and frankly, even on impossible late game you will still end with quite a bit of it. With demons and dragons it's easy to clear the greenwort, arlania et al without any losses. Bogacho is very tricky, simply because no timeback.

This is for no losses yea, not for score. I think these are 2 very different things. You wil have to customise your army for a lot of battles if you want no losses, as well as to play combat many times. Plus rememebr to lure troublesome troops to favourable terrain before engaging. good luck.

Calinda
11-24-2008, 09:06 AM
If you ask me to finish with best time you shouldn't go to Demonis early. You waste too much time there, better use it to clear Kordar ...

Keneth
11-24-2008, 01:46 PM
That's only if you're going for score, personally I think that's a bit ridiculous unless you've finished the game so many times that you've got nothing better to do. :mrgreen:

pillz
11-25-2008, 01:46 AM
refering to no losses as a warrior here

those dragons and archdemons really help a lot

laffwis
11-27-2008, 09:46 PM
ok guys, in my game im on day 8 at level 17 with about 13.000+ leadership. (already ellinia, and demonis visited and collected all banners)
when i sum up to level 30, i only get about 26.000 leadership :confused:
isn't that a little bit too low for a warrior?
do you have any suggestions?

Zhuangzi
11-27-2008, 10:22 PM
The only way you will get higher than that is with children that add to leadership. In my first game I had three kids that did that, which gave me over 20,000 leadership in Ellinia. :-P But I would prefer the artifacts ultimately though.

Keneth
11-27-2008, 10:28 PM
That's actually above average for a warrior (which is roughly ~24,000), get some artifacts for a few extra thousand and you can get 10%, 7%, or 5% (or any combination thereof) from the kids.

laffwis
11-27-2008, 10:35 PM
ok, thanks for the fast reply.
actually i find warrior much easier than any other class.
maybe because i went to demonis and ellinia first?
and i found out that its actually really possible to finish the game in 11-12 days. but i didnt aim for that, so thats why i went to ellinia first before finishing the pirates' islands and thus wasted some days. so i expect to finish it in 14-15 days.

fact is, even as a mage you have to use buffs in the later game (in my last game i almost only used buffs), and since you have less attack and less leadership you do less damage than a warrior, who moreover can use rage-spirits far more often than a mage and of course has also more leadership.

Keneth
11-27-2008, 11:29 PM
You haven't quite grasped the mage then since warrior is the hardest of the three classes to play. If warrior had a skill that gave him 2 rage chest uses per turn, then they'd be equal. :mrgreen:

laffwis
11-27-2008, 11:40 PM
You haven't quite grasped the mage then since warrior is the hardest of the three classes to play. If warrior had a skill that gave him 2 rage chest uses per turn, then they'd be equal. :mrgreen:

well, please dont get me wrong. my game as a mage was a straight walkthrough and i almost had no casulties.
but as i said, maybe my currant game as warrior is so easy, because i visited demonis and ellinia first and colllected all banners and shrines, etc.

and IMO if the warrior can use the rage chest 2x a turn, then he'd be more powerfull than the mage.

Keneth
11-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Well the rage box has a limited use, there's only 16 abilities and half of them are useless, plus you can or could never use one twice due to resting period. I'd say having twice the use of spellbook is much more useful. That's one of the major reasons why a mage is that strong.

Calinda
11-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I wanna see a mage that will finish the game in 7 days. I'm progressing on such game with a warrior, you will see the result at some point in the future ;)

Keneth
11-28-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't think speed has much to do with the class, except maybe the length of waiting for your mana to replenish. :D

laffwis
12-10-2008, 06:43 AM
so, finally finished my warrior on impossible in 11 days.

highscore you find here:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?p=60208#post60208

i attached one my max. critical hit, was done with lake fairies, i think.
didnt had the thorn crown, thats why couldnt try out with thorn hunters.

altogether i would say, warrior is much easier to play than mage as soon as you get lake fairies, sprites and dryads. i was lucky to find telescope so i used hunters and elves too.

its only tough in the beginning, but not even that.

Calinda
12-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Hehe I'll definitely do it in 7 days. Now I'm lvl 28 clearing Demonis at day 6. Expect the final screenshots soon :)

laffwis
12-10-2008, 08:07 AM
i think calinda is right when he says its not possible for a mage to finish in 7 days (not exactly his words, but i understood it as this).

because you have to assault the castle in kondor with maybe level 8-10. and as a mage you just dont have enough leadership for such an enemy. when i played mage, i had only about 3.000 leadership at level 11 as far as i remember. so it it might not be possible to beat that enemy to open the way to ellinia. even if you dont go to ellinia it might very tough though.

Lestas
12-10-2008, 08:54 AM
3 emerald dragons are enough for mage to beat karador ;)

Calinda
12-11-2008, 04:30 PM
3 emerald dragons would be enough for anyone, not only mage .... whoever uses such tactic is a chicken tho.
Anyway, mage fans try to beat this:

Score 1718, 7 days, 102 quests completed. Class Warrior :)

ThyrsaM
12-12-2008, 08:25 AM
wow nice record.

kemydes
12-12-2008, 09:23 AM
of your rage panel to show us your rage skills please. I know you must reload before a battle then .... but it will greatly help .
And your skills tree too^^.

Lestas
12-12-2008, 09:55 AM
3 emerald dragons would be enough for anyone, not only mage .... whoever uses such tactic is a chicken tho.

Can we see your save? :)

Just curious :) My own record time ws 10 days...

Calinda
12-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Hmmm you didn't tell which save exactly you want, so I'll attach 3 of my choice ... one is just before an interesting battle - the one with Ambrosius :)
If you want skill trees, then open up the saves and see. Nothing unusual there, tho.

kemydes
12-15-2008, 10:58 PM
i have downloaded the 3 saves you give and i am totaly amazed!! When i look to your spell book, i am unable to understand how you have could achieved the fight against ambrosius!! Please tell us what was your strategy and tactics, i have tried this fight many times and i am unable to see what was the right path. I miss something and i hate this^^.
On the other side, the final fight is very easy with your team even without spell (i have upgraded the dragon killer but i doubt it is necesserary). Please light my mind.

Calinda
12-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Ok here you go :)

The main tactics there was: Turn I: 1. Horsemen positioned back in the middle, "back" is the keyword here, you want to inflict range penalty on the necromancers when they shoot your horseman; ranged units 2 at each side, as forward as possible; 2. Use Soul drain to reduce his horsemen count. 3. Cast Target and shield from the Archmages on the horseman, who defends the position. Turn II - again use defend with Horsemen, and cast Battle Cry (at least on your archmages, can't remember if I had mass); do not use Fighting Trance on mages yet, cause you want to use the shield again on turn 3; Wait with one unit, and when all enemies moved, use time back on the Horseman, cast Stoneskin or Magic spring or Peacefullness on it, and on turn III defend it, then cast Target and new shield from the mage, may be Glot's armor as well.
For the rest of the battle you want to cast time back on the horsemen each time when it is available (do not forget to cast it at the very end of a turn), and keep Target and the shield spell from the archmages (at least).
KIll order - first kill enemy horsemen and inquisitors, then reduce one of the weaker stacks of necromancers (that one which is separate from the other two. After it is reduced you may wait the horsemen once and advance next to the other two necromancer stacks and start tanking them from close, pushing them to use their melee attacks. You want stoneskin + Target on your horsemen at that time.
Keeping Target spell up all the time is very important, as you don't want to allow the enemy necromancers to cast, at least you don't want while there are many of them.
Another secondary goal you want to pursue in the battle is not to allow 3 of your stacks to go together (that's why is the starting position), so he does not use his area damage spells. For this purpose use Glot's armor, Stone walls, Ice thorns, Dispel, or whatever you prefer.
In the best case (which mostly depends on you), you will only lose Horsemen and at the end you will have like 70 horsemen left, you can take a little time to ressurect the dead ones with the inquisitors with timeback, gift, chargers, rage draining, holy anger for extra rage or whatever means you prefer.

kemydes
12-16-2008, 08:24 AM
thanks for your explanation, i was wrong because i thought initialy the key was to position the horsemen close to the others horsemen to inflict damage to his own troops when necro shoot at them but they died too fast^^. What is the most surprising for me is your spell book at final stage, it seems you have played all along with only slow, target, stone kin, serenity, magic spring and gift!!! You are amazing!

Vilk
08-02-2009, 12:37 PM

He he this "provocative" little post took its part to throw me in course after the score... So beaten:

Score 1727, 7 days, 103 quest, Class Mage.

Warrior fans try beat this. :-P

I posted the snapshots in high score thread:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=86408&postcount=97

Razorflame
08-02-2009, 01:49 PM
it;s so ******* funny people saying MAGE is the easiest ROFL!

warrior is BY FAR THE EASIEST Character!
with enough rage income and good use of time control your very safe against almost everything

people are so forgetting that mage and paladin just don't have enough leadership in the late game which makes it alot harder for them

yes sure spells are great but they ain't effective at mid late game(talking about chaos), ssave for sacrifice

your mainly using distortion and order anyway
and that is also very easy accesable by a warrior too!

;-)

GL&HF
^^

Vilk
08-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Who wrote mage is easier in impossible mode? Certainly not me.

About a warrior playing the battle in same way I did with a mage, I strongly doubt. There are three major points:

In many battles Higher Magic was a major point to keep control.
The 100 mana I had roughly through all the main game has been also a very important point.
The wide diversity of level 3 spells I had opened plenty tactics a warrior could not offer him.

I don't mean it's easier just that it's different and even without offensive spells it will be very hard for a warrior to mimic what a mage can do. I think that it's not a hazard if in Calinda warrior game most efficient troops are all long range but one and in my mage game only two are long range and in fact I even keep only one long range since before the labyrinth.

But we agree warrior is easier than mage in impossible mode. But it's not only coming from better Leadership.

Still I quote the best score is from mage not warrior. :-P