PDA

View Full Version : More complicated spell system

Namel
10-24-2008, 09:34 PM
I think bit more complicated system than just 1 spell/round would be nice. As it is I find myself limited to very few spells. For example it is almost never worth to cast haste (or anything else) when alternative is to make another phantom of my griffin stack.

Maybe system where spells had some kind of point value and you can cast certain amount worth of points/round?

For example you got 10 points. Phantom costs 10 points, haste 6 points, heal 2 points etc. So I could either cast one phantom on that round or 3-4 smaller spells. You could easily tie lot of skills to this system. Skill giving more points/round, skills giving smaller point cost for certain school of spells etc.

This is just quick idea and probably not the best way to solve it. But I think something instead of rigid one spell/round system would be good so that larger variety of spells would be worth casting.

BlackVegetable
10-24-2008, 10:24 PM
I think a simpler way to solve this issue would be to assign a cooldown to some spells. (Ice Dragon for me! Or Phantom for you.) On the other hand, this may simply be a limitation of having the wrong mana costs attached to a spell, making it more attractive than it should be. I'm sure if Phantom cost 80 mana, it wouldn't be cast quite so much!

Crepuscule
10-25-2008, 02:50 AM
I think good thing is cost for people cast always same spells increasing :) else people have choose others spells in book for other stategie more often.

Always same stategy kill game sorry :(

Crepuscule
10-25-2008, 02:54 AM
sorry, for best tell I give example :

if cast 10 time same spell then + 1 mana costs for this spell
if cast 20 time same spell then + 2 mana costs for this spell
etc...

this just example, maybe each 50 time for same spell + 1 mana increating is nice also, it have test :)

BlackVegetable
10-25-2008, 03:47 AM
Interesting idea. I think a permanent increase to the spell cost would be a bit much but perhaps per battle a +25% increase in spell cost per casting would deter repeat casting?

Namel
10-25-2008, 05:09 AM
Could also make it raise cost if used often. And then when used less price starts going down.

I think if people are forced to use multiple spells then crystal system should be removed. Maybe make crystals increase spellpower or something instead.

And I think scroll limit is really stupid and adds nothing at all for game. Only thing it has ever done to me is force on occasions visit castle to sell scrolls so I can buy one I want.

Just throwing out ideas so that devs can pick best ones. :)

JudgeMan
10-25-2008, 05:18 AM
For example you got 10 points. Phantom costs 10 points, haste 6 points, heal 2 points etc. So I could either cast one phantom on that round or 3-4 smaller spells. You could easily tie lot of skills to this system. Skill giving more points/round, skills giving smaller point cost for certain school of spells etc.

I really like that idea! If it's well balanced and mass spells would cost a lot of points it could be really interesting IMO.

HitmanN
10-27-2008, 11:01 AM
I rather like all these ideas, but I think re-balancing the spell costs would be the best and easiest option.

Additionally I support the removal of scroll limit, and instead adding a spell limit! Collecting spells is kinda boring when you can basically have everything (though I've only played as a mage so far, so I don't know of the other classes). If you were forced to choose only select few spells (maybe depending on attributes, or a skill tree talent, so mages could have some more), you'd be essentially designing a magic strategy for your army.

Ice Dragon for me!

Me too! :mrgreen: I often cast two of them at the beginning of a battle (since I have the skill from the mage tree that allows two spells per turn once a battle). Doing a total of like 4-8K of damage right from the start simply seems to beat most alternatives at the moment. And I can cast several more in the same battle if I started with full mana.

Overall, I think it's a case of re-balancing or adding some limitations to either usage or learning of the spells.

wolfing
10-28-2008, 08:33 PM
The spell system could be improved, but it's a delicate thing. The thing is, the whole situation changes when you're not a mage. For a warrior I find myself using a lot of different spells I didn't use with my mage, for example, there was really no choice when my damage spell would do 2000 damage, but as a warrior when the same spell does 350, I don't find them as important. Having said that, there are spells that are just too powerful and should be limited. For example, sacrifice should be limited to raise up to the original army unit, sort of like a more powerful resurrect but with the drawback of having to kill other units. Oh, and no sacrifice on hypnotized creatures! Other spells get more useful on their third level version, like haste and teleport are more useful for melee units, so they can reach the archers in one turn.