PDA

View Full Version : Random repops

Morloc
10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
I'd like to see respawns of some monsters during the game. Either via a similar system to the one HoMM uses (i.e. "Week of the Vampire") or perhaps a system which adds a number of enemy heroes+troops (like the pirate ships) every day or so somewhere.

This would add a means to accumulate a little extra experience, and to satisfy some of the artifacts or wives which have powers based on the number of battles fought. Currently there are a finite number of battles in the game, so if these items are found late in the game, they can never be activated. It would also add some surprises in areas previously thought to be safe and clear.

-Morloc

wolfing
10-20-2008, 04:24 PM
I'd like to see respawns of some monsters during the game. Either via a similar system to the one HoMM uses (i.e. "Week of the Vampire") or perhaps a system which adds a number of enemy heroes+troops (like the pirate ships) every day or so somewhere.

This would add a means to accumulate a little extra experience, and to satisfy some of the artifacts or wives which have powers based on the number of battles fought. Currently there are a finite number of battles in the game, so if these items are found late in the game, they can never be activated. It would also add some surprises in areas previously thought to be safe and clear.

-Morloc

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo!
(and that's the short version)
One thing I loved about this game is the not-respawning feature.

Kolorabi
10-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Maybe a combination would work? Like certain dungeons that were repopulated randomly each time you entered them? Sort of like in some roguelikes. That way you would always have access to some experience and possible item drops, but you wouldn't have to deal with respawning enemies if you didn't want to (I know I prefer that dead enemies stay dead on the main adventure map).

wolfing
10-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I just don't like random repops. I wouldn't mind a voluntary thing like tournaments you can enter if you just need fights, as long as they're minor things. I just love the feeling that I cleared an area of monsters and made it a peaceful place.

Zwolf
10-22-2008, 02:22 PM
I support the idea of a tournament feature to accumulate more experience after cleaning a map. The idea of having to kill again and again small groups of devilfish polluting the land is not in my wishlist :grin:

player1
10-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I really hate "grinding".

But I'm not totaly against things like "week of the unit" spawnig few random stacks (it could even repopulate some units in buildings).

After all, it's much more controlled then simple "go to the cave and get experience" unlimited times.

Gualty
01-14-2009, 01:41 PM
One thing that can make everyone happy could be this one: No respawn in the open areas (so u can travel without problems after u have cleaned the patch).

Random respawn in dungeons, caves, crypts, mines and so on...

Dabrinko
01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Something tells me that it would be a huge advantage for those with Sacrifice (+ hypnosis in some cases) to have random, relatively small mobs to kill.

I know that I saved some really easy fights, just to have a fight where I can hypnotise and sacrifice to get some lost (and non-replenishable) troops back.

Varnor
03-31-2009, 04:18 PM
God no please no respawning. I have to admit I am also one of those players who feels that respawning enemies makes a game seem irrelevent. Whether you clear them out or not they'll always be there so what's the point? Except to be forced to fight random monsters every time you retrace your steps

:(

Zhuangzi
03-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Something tells me that it would be a huge advantage for those with Sacrifice (+ hypnosis in some cases) to have random, relatively small mobs to kill.

I know that I saved some really easy fights, just to have a fight where I can hypnotise and sacrifice to get some lost (and non-replenishable) troops back.

Absolutely correct. Small, weak stacks are not only tedious and pointless, they actually benefit the player.

Katauri responded to the criticism that there were too many fights in the game by reducing the enemy stacks from 600 in the original release, 500 in the patched version, and apparently 400 in the expansion. They also increased the number of levels from 30 to 50, so progression will be a lot faster. Given all of this is true, I think the chance of them having randomly repopulating stacks in the expansion is close to zero.

I would favour an unlimited tournament system where you could always go for a fight. This tournament could even be scaled to your level, so you always get a fair(ish) fight. :cool: