PDA

View Full Version : Question about the 'Necromancy' skill and 'Necro Call'

Jamers
10-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for reading.

So as I'm sure you all know, a bit was lost in the translation of this game to English and the descriptions of things are not always clear. I was wondering:

-Does the Necromancy skill work as it does in the HoMM games, where AFTER a battle, some troop of undead would receive a boost to their numbers? If so, how does the game determine WHICH troop gets pumped up? Is it like Heroes, where only skeletons are raised, or at the end of a battle the lowest LEVEL troop of undead receives a boost, or what? :confused:

-Also, regarding the spell Necro Call: is this basically just like a Resurrection for undead units, bringing back to life a certain number of the SAME unit that died, based on Intellect, Chaos Magic skill, etc., or does it just raise a number of random undead units from ANY dead troop--enemy or friendly? Also, does this troop remain with the army after battle if there is room, or is it just temporary like other summoning spells (Dryads' Summon Thorns, etc.)? :confused:

Thanks again...any input is much appreciated!

milo
10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Necromancy raises a small number of deceased units but not as undead, necro call raises undead during battle only they will disappear at conclusion of the battle. The units raised are of the same level as the deceased. I suggest using the sacrificial knife mod for playing as undead, this will let you convert your living troops to undead.

Daedalus
10-17-2008, 02:21 PM
doesn't really make sense that necro call isn't a ressurection for Undead though, should be changed imo...

Hazimel
10-17-2008, 02:27 PM
doesn't really make sense that necro call isn't a ressurection for Undead though, should be changed imo...

+1

Jamers
10-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Necromancy raises a small number of deceased units but not as undead, necro call raises undead during battle only they will disappear at conclusion of the battle. The units raised are of the same level as the deceased. I suggest using the sacrificial knife mod for playing as undead, this will let you convert your living troops to undead.
whoa whoa, so Milo, let me get this straight:
It works sort of like Diplomacy, but backwards? So after battle, if I lost 5 knights and 12 inquisitors, it will raise a number of those same units back into my army after battle? It is only ONE type of unit per battle, as diplomacy seems to work (in my experience)?

(Oi, I can't believe I've not been using this skill all this time if that's the case...)

devmoon
10-17-2008, 08:57 PM
really im also wondering how diplomacy and necromancy works

is it any useful, i dont wanna spend points and later see its not working or its utterly useless

Jamers
10-17-2008, 09:10 PM
really im also wondering how diplomacy and necromancy works

is it any useful, i dont wanna spend points and later see its not working or its utterly useless

devmoon: I've found Diplomacy not to be very useful, to be honest. The way I play, though, is that I really try to minimize unit losses in each battle, spending all my mana if necessary (if I don't have the 30 mana needed for a level 3 Ressurection, I'll often cast Gift on my Inquisitors and use them for a second Resurrection.) Playing this way, I don't often find that encountering troops provides me with many units. It's more of kind of a pleasant surprise when it happens, although a couple times it has come in handy when I end up stealing Knights or Archmagi or some unit where there isn't a recruitment site anywhere nearby.

Also, in my experience, you can only nab ONE unit type at the beginning of a battle (not sure that this is technically the case, but I've never seen more than one). The thing about Diplomacy though is that I think it's required to get Reserve (isn't it?), and Reserve is absolutely essential to have. The way I use it is I just pack the extra two slots with hundreds of Inquisitors and Hunters (units that are targeted often) and then replenish them from the reserve after battle. I'm considering changing this up though so that it's situational (hold Knights on reserve when going into Dragon-heavy areas; Inquisitors in Undead areas; Black Unicorns in Demonis, etc.)

Hope this helps.

devmoon
10-17-2008, 09:15 PM
how you get these 100s of inquisitors, after reading this forums for a while it seems everyone is relying on sacrifice and you would be screwed if you dont get it. I usually plays using the same tactics like ressurect each units that dies,
but this gets so damm tedious. I want to really know how all skills work and take full use of everything the game has to offer. I really dont wanna use sacrifice.

Jamers
10-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I get hundreds of Inquisitors through the Reserve skill (which I believe requires one point in Diplomacy. What Reserve does is this: if you look at you army on the Hero screen, there are two small boxes off to the right. Those can't be used until you get the Reserve skill, at which time you can place an UNLIMITED number of one unit (two if you put two points in Reserve). I was hesitant about it too at first, wondering if I wanted to waste runes on Diplomacy, but I find Reserve to be absolutely invaluable.

This way I can buy up x number of Priests where x is the number of Inquisitors my leadership can sustain, upgrade them to Inquisitors, stash them in reserve. Repeat.

devmoon
10-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I get hundreds of Inquisitors through the Reserve skill (which I believe requires one point in Diplomacy. What Reserve does is this: if you look at you army on the Hero screen, there are two small boxes off to the right. Those can't be used until you get the Reserve skill, at which time you can place an UNLIMITED number of one unit (two if you put two points in Reserve). I was hesitant about it too at first, wondering if I wanted to waste runes on Diplomacy, but I find Reserve to be absolutely invaluable.

This way I can buy up x number of Priests where x is the number of Inquisitors my leadership can sustain, upgrade them to Inquisitors, stash them in reserve. Repeat.

Forgot about the mind skill : D

Yea im also using two reserves and its a great skills, but i still want to see if
anyone had success with the other mind skills

Jamers
10-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Personally I think that the Mind branch is much more useful than the Might branch (with a couple of exceptions, obviously. I suppose if you are playing a Warrior than the Warrior-exclusive Might abilities make it more worthwhile.)
Things like Learning, Inquisition, and Trophies are great skills! And Scouting is easily worth having one point in (although I think any more than one is simply a waste). The great thing about the Paladin is that he gets the Runic Stone skill with 3 uses, which turns 10 Minds runes (the Paladin gets a lot of them) into 10 Might AND 10 Magic runes, and it can be used 3 times. It's huge.
I think that Holy Anger (Paladin-only, I think) and Keeper of Light or whatever (+xp and gold versus undead and demons) are also really useful at certain points in the game.

Buzzrick
10-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm still confused about how the Necromancy Skill works, or whether it even actually works at all. I haven't seen any of my troops being resurrected after a battle even though I have level 2 in the skill. From the previous description I should be getting some of the dead troops back.

I don't get any feedback that there were troops revived, and my troop numbers stay at the same reduced number after a battle.

I'm running the GamersGate downloadable version with the GamersGate patch. In the game it reports to being version 1.6.5

crayno
01-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't think it works.
Can anyone say Necromancy works 100%?