PDA

View Full Version : Disatisfied with Random system

david163
10-17-2008, 06:46 AM
As you know, KB use Random system for hiring units and magic.

there is rare chance that you can't hire one unit in all lands
I played mage last time, and can't find royal snake in all lands. so I can't finish the task——rare animals

It's better to fixed one unit or magic for hiring or learn.
Otherwise, something like, If you can get magic sacrifice in the first swamp land, the difficulies can be largely reduced.

Hazimel
10-17-2008, 08:02 AM
I don't know if you can hire Royal Snakes somwhere else, but it is the same for me, I could not hire any Royal Snake in the Swamps.

Just hoping that in the next areas i did not visit I can find some

Zhuangzi
10-17-2008, 08:40 AM
David, I had a similar problem in my first game in that I could not hire Cyclops ANYWHERE in the game. I like the randomness, but if something is quest related then there should be an assurance that the item can be found.

Patch it. :)

Jamers
10-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Same here--no Royal Snakes anywhere.
Zhuangzi (sorry if I misspelled--I'm too lazy to go back haha), I'm curious: how do you know how many hours you put into King's Bounty? Is there a counter somewhere?

david163
10-17-2008, 10:31 AM
David, I had a similar problem in my first game in that I could not hire Cyclops ANYWHERE in the game. I like the randomness, but if something is quest related then there should be an assurance that the item can be found.

Patch it. :)

Dear: The random system is annoying.

PS:you can hire Cyclops if you finish collecting 6 bones task on Death Land

Yaster
10-17-2008, 11:12 AM
I got cyclopes too from the not-so-dead giant so I believe randomness isn't as random as some may think, his skull is easy to miss thought. Royal Snakes on the other side should be always present in Snakes Dungeon in Ardania or something like that, I think you need to finish love potion's quest first.

phoenixreborn
10-17-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't find such a thing to be a problem.

I hadn't completed every quest...I'll get them in my next playthrough.

As long as it is possible to finish the game I'm happy.

I didn't find the single cyclops to complete the quest until near the end.

Zhuangzi
10-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Same here--no Royal Snakes anywhere.
Zhuangzi (sorry if I misspelled--I'm too lazy to go back haha), I'm curious: how do you know how many hours you put into King's Bounty? Is there a counter somewhere?

Well yes, when you finish the game it tells you how many game days you spent and if you hover your mouse over this it tells you how many hours you played. But say if it says 50 hours for a game (which my games seem to be) then it's really more when you factor in time quickloads etc. So I am estimating that it takes me about 60-70 hours to play the game, and I've played it through twice already. :o

Stepsongrapes
10-17-2008, 04:45 PM
As you know, KB use Random system for hiring units and magic.

there is rare chance that you can't hire one unit in all lands
I played mage last time, and can't find royal snake in all lands. so I can't finish the task——rare animals

It's better to fixed one unit or magic for hiring or learn.
Otherwise, something like, If you can get magic sacrifice in the first swamp land, the difficulies can be largely reduced.

I'm MORE than happy with facing the possibility of not being able to complete a few non-critical quests to maintain the excellent REPLAYABILITY of this game.

Get rid of randomness? HELL NO.

david163
10-18-2008, 02:33 AM
I got cyclopes too from the not-so-dead giant so I believe randomness isn't as random as some may think, his skull is easy to miss thought. Royal Snakes on the other side should be always present in Snakes Dungeon in Ardania or something like that, I think you need to finish love potion's quest first.

I think you are just lucky to hire some unit.

The chance is rare, but The random is definitely existing.

david163
10-18-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm MORE than happy with facing the possibility of not being able to complete a few non-critical quests to maintain the excellent REPLAYABILITY of this game.

Get rid of randomness? HELL NO.

The quest is less effected by randomness

But It will dramatically changed the difficulties.

For example, once I get the sacrifice magic on the first land, I can get many higher level unit via sacrifice lower unit. Then I can easily defect all enemy before the death land.

This case also happened on treasure.

Multiplicity
10-18-2008, 07:56 PM
I prefer the randomness with the items and creatures because it adds to replayability and makes the game less predictable. The number of quests that rely on a certain critter being readily available is small, and because of that, I don't think it is that big of an issue.

Tuplis
10-18-2008, 08:06 PM
In my opinion a thread like this just goes to prove how good it is - the system wouldn't be random enough if someone didn't get the bad end of it once in a while.

Seriously tho, if you're looking for a game that you can plan beforehand and then just play trough as planned, find another one. Unless you're playing on impossible (maybe even on impossible, who knows), you can always adapt and make the best of what you have and pull through.

vicheron
10-18-2008, 08:47 PM
My problem with the game is that it's too random. A shop can either have no items or it can have three super powerful artifacts. Why can't it just have between 1 to 3 items, worth a total of at least 50,000 gold and at most 80,000 gold?

jake21
10-19-2008, 03:29 AM
My current problem is my level 23 warrior (on hard) is having a heck of the time. His leadership is 15K (kind of low) and he is about to turn level 24 and won't be getting more leadership (I leveled but then loaded an older save).

The problem is I'm not quite strong enough to advance the story line or kill the few remaining critters left and there isn't much i can do to improve my strength at this point so it is unlikely i will finish (all that is left are the dragons in elven/undead land and rescuing the queen's soul.

Juha76
10-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Random troops,items,monsters and spells make this game bit special. I don`t think i would play it again after i finnish it, if there was no random stuff. On my warrior, i had no royal snakes, but on my mage, i have tons of them. They are everywhere. This just makes game so much better. For me at least.

Zhuangzi
10-19-2008, 02:12 PM
The randomness really adds to the replayability. In my third game I have found items I have never seen before (Banner of True Faith, and a demon headgear thing that you pay $10,000 to upgrade). Plus, a complete absence of Griffins this time. It's amazing! So I use something else instead. There will be Griffins from the Griffin king but I haven't got to that quest yet.

Plus there is randomness in the distribution of spells. I was very happy to find Ice Snake in Freedom Isles, but I can't see Hypnosis or Phantom anywhere. :)

Stepsongrapes
10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
The quest is less effected by randomness

But It will dramatically changed the difficulties.

For example, once I get the sacrifice magic on the first land, I can get many higher level unit via sacrifice lower unit. Then I can easily defect all enemy before the death land.

This case also happened on treasure.

That's what randomness MEANS.

You would prefer that things were always the same? E.g., you would always use royal snakes and sacrifice as your main strategy?

Replayability DEPENDS on using different strategies each time. Sometimes you royal snake, sometimes you don't.

Yes, that means that some games are harder than others- it isn't called random for nothing.

rodman012003
10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
In Darion, in the northeast corner, is a spider cave. Inside that spider cave is a FRIENDLY royal snake. If you have an open slot, the snake will join your army.

Eldritch
10-29-2008, 09:54 PM
I can't seem to find any hunters in ellinia and I've looked everywhere. Do they usually become available at the elf capital after you do the "defeat karador/save teh queen" quest?

Hunters are badass, I want hunters... :cool:

Zhuangzi
10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
I can't seem to find any hunters in ellinia and I've looked everywhere. Do they usually become available at the elf capital after you do the "defeat karador/save teh queen" quest?

Hunters are badass, I want hunters... :cool:

Get yourself into Demonis. There is a Sorcerer's tower or something like that which sells Hunters. I think they always have them. And after you complete the main quest for the Elf king he had a horde of 'em in my game. :-P

Sandsai
10-30-2008, 04:07 AM
The randomness really adds to the replayability. In my third game I have found items I have never seen before (Banner of True Faith, and a demon headgear thing that you pay $10,000 to upgrade). Plus, a complete absence of Griffins this time. It's amazing! So I use something else instead. There will be Griffins from the Griffin king but I haven't got to that quest yet.

Plus there is randomness in the distribution of spells. I was very happy to find Ice Snake in Freedom Isles, but I can't see Hypnosis or Phantom anywhere. :)

I believe hypnosis is gained from the pendant of iron will, a low artifact that gives +2 int, looks like a sideways number 8 pendant. Have to fight pretty low level gremlins for a scroll but well worth it. I am also having problems finding phantom image. With my warrior, however, I had phantom image at the Mage Academy and then almost every where else. Go figure...