PDA

View Full Version : Need help with obelisk reward choice

ganjatron
10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
So, I'm torn between choosing the 30 runes (10 of each might, magic, and mind) or the Mithril Shield (+8 defense, -20% leadership for dwarves.) What did/would you guys pick, and why?

Who cares about mind runes, but with 10 extra might and magic runes, I can pretty much max out every ability I want at level 22. However, over the course of the last 2 or 3 level ups, I have accumulated about the same amount of runes... so these may come naturally.

8 Defense is godly though... but is it worth it for a mage? I dont have any dwarves in my army and have no interest in obtaining them so I dont care about that additional stat ...but 8 defense is a crazy stat! Equivalent to 8 levels (if you pick +1 defense each time... if you're even given the opportunity.) The best shield I've run across so far only has +3 defense by comparison.

OmegaDestroyer
10-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I went for the runes as a Paladin. I wouldn't discount mind runes. Sure they don't seem useful at first glance but reserves, trophies, tolerance, and trade are useful in the later levels fo the game.

Tuplis
10-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Get the dwarf wife so you can wear 2 shields, then use a dwarf-heavy army. Put the dragon protection shield to the other slot (it's like 6 def, -50% from dragons). :)

Haven't tried it myself yet tho.

ganjatron
10-13-2008, 10:13 PM
I think there are a few worthy skills on Mind, but I'm playing on normal and don't really see the value of those gold making skills. I already have 2/2 Reserve, might go for full 3/3 Glory and Tolerance as I've recently liked using necromancers and might be getting some demons soon for my army. I usually use Red, Green, and Black Dragons with my other 2 slots switching between Necros, Shaman, Cyclops, Royal Thorns, and possibly some demons soon. Only the shaman seem to be affected by negative morale so I don't know if I want to fully invest in it yet.

8 defense would be nice so im leaning that way because I already have the skills I really want. Only problem is that shields can be replaced and I'll be kicking myself if I find a better shield whereas extra skills pay long term dividends. I already completed the elven part so I may be nearing the end of the game though and this all may be moot.

ganjatron
10-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Get the dwarf wife so you can wear 2 shields, then use a dwarf-heavy army. Put the dragon protection shield to the other slot (it's like 6 def, -50% from dragons). :)

Haven't tried it myself yet tho.

Hmm.. where do you get that Dragon protection shield? I hate the dwarf guys lol! Only decent one is the canoneers I think.

Namel
10-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Only the shaman seem to be affected by negative morale so I don't know if I want to fully invest in it yet.

This is just guess. I have no real knowledge on this. Does morale of shamans matter at all? At least I only use their special abilities and I don't think morale has any effect on those? Sure their defense will also suffer but at least for me enemy rarely targets my shamans. I always keep them in back row since range doesn't matter with special abilities.

reanimator
10-13-2008, 11:17 PM
you get that from Demon world ....

Tuplis
10-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Hmm.. where do you get that Dragon protection shield? I hate the dwarf guys lol! Only decent one is the canoneers I think.

As usual, it's random :(
On my first round through, I got it from just about the last chest of the game. Now THAT is lucky.

kennec
10-14-2008, 09:29 AM
can that mithril dwarfen shield be combiened with the dwarf weapon u get from dwarfen king wich also have -% leadership for dwarf so u get -15%+-20% to a total of -35% leadership cost ?

anyone have both and can check?

Marlowe
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
can that mithril dwarfen shield be combiened with the dwarf weapon u get from dwarfen king wich also have -% leadership for dwarf so u get -15%+-20% to a total of -35% leadership cost ?

anyone have both and can check?

The King's Hammer, the reward from the drawven king for concluding the peace treaty, is -10% leadership for dwarves. Do you mean this weapon or is there another one? In any event, the leadership bonues do indeed stack--the shield and the result in a -30% leadership for dwarves.

kennec
10-14-2008, 08:16 PM
The King's Hammer, the reward from the drawven king for concluding the peace treaty, is -10% leadership for dwarves. Do you mean this weapon or is there another one? In any event, the leadership bonues do indeed stack--the shield and the result in a -30% leadership for dwarves.

nice. not bad.

sry that dwarf units are so bad

Namel
10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
I noticed that giants count as dwarves. Hammer helps them too.

I used it for while but since my army was not all dwarves hammer loses morale. Fight to supress it is so hard that I rather changed weapon.