PDA

View Full Version : Key to Success

dbgager
10-10-2008, 06:39 AM
I think probably the most important key to being successful in this game is probably unit conservation. There is not an unlimited supply of money..The money in the game is limited to battle rewards, pickups and items you can sell, therefore there is not an unlimited supply of units you can buy. The key is not to fight battles till you can win without losing to many of your valuable troops...or at least to fight battles where the reward is greater, than the cost to replace your troops. You can win battles by just throwing lots of units at the enemy...but this is the road to ruin. Soon you will have no money, no troops, and your basically screwed.

Jusy my 2 cents...for what its worth.

cyndimacog
10-11-2008, 06:59 AM
This has been the key to success since at least 1992 (when I started playing). The real problem that I have is that Atari has apparently put into place measures to ensure that players waste more units than would normally be necessary to complete this. I just bought the game today and got the quest for the miller fairly early. Between the miller and the person he gave the ring to is a group of over 700 spiders. I believe that, that early in the game, this group should not be there. This is the second time that I've been through this and I have been wiped out 4 times with max troupes and there's stlil like half the group left. I don't know what Atari is trying to do with this one group that can't be avoided, but I know that NWC/3DO would not have done this.

Shd
10-11-2008, 07:17 AM
This has been the key to success since at least 1992 (when I started playing). The real problem that I have is that Atari has apparently put into place measures to ensure that players waste more units than would normally be necessary to complete this. I just bought the game today and got the quest for the miller fairly early. Between the miller and the person he gave the ring to is a group of over 700 spiders. I believe that, that early in the game, this group should not be there. This is the second time that I've been through this and I have been wiped out 4 times with max troupes and there's stlil like half the group left. I don't know what Atari is trying to do with this one group that can't be avoided, but I know that NWC/3DO would not have done this.

1. Not Atari, but Katauri (they are developers. Atari is only producers)
2. They cannot be avoided??? Did you tried to buy ship and get there from other side (sea)? This game game forces you to "think" not just "i'll kill them all and then move to next location" :)
3. Key to this game is not money, but tactics
4. etc etc etc... Just try to think a bit when playing :)

milo
10-11-2008, 07:26 AM
The overwhelming majority of enemies do not need to be fought, I was doing quests in deimos realm at level 10. All you need to do with most mobs is get them to follow you into a little open space then you can run around them. The only battles you need to win are ones that grant you access to new regions. There are many drops you can obtain in regions that contain mobs that would be far too hard for you to beat in combat.

Fargol
10-11-2008, 02:14 PM

There are groups like that everywhere. One or two really high-level groups that you need to check first (right-click) and then avoid.

And yes, that particular group can be avoided. There's more than one route to Hake's.

Often there's a high-level group wandering in the swamp too, which can also be avoided. I look at it as a sort of mini-game, avoiding the big bully until such time I can take him with minimal losses.