PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinding worse with Spamm's camera mod?

Snaggly Pete
10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I came across these notes for a camera mod that I guess Spamm created (see below). I was just wondering do these notes mean that pathfinding and FPS is worse with this mod?

I tried the mod out and I really liked the longer camera range, but it seemed like my character may have gotten stuck a few times when trying to move around (I particularly noticed that at crossroads--when he was suppose to make a turn at a crossroads, it was like he tried to cut the corner, instead of staying on the road and then he would get stuck) and I'm wondering if that has to do with a pathfinding problem. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what the pathfinding was like before I applied the mod to compare it with now.

Also, just wondering but is there a way to remove the mod and test the pathfinding without it? When I removed the .kfs file from the mod folder, the improved range was no longer there, but it seemed like the issue with him getting stuck while moving still was. Thanks for any help provided.

Camera
Author - spamm

For version 1.6.4
http://kingsbounty.ru/mods/1.6.4/mod_164_camera.zip

Camera range increased from 18 to 32
+ bigger field of view
+ ease of large trips
- FPS
- path finding
atention: mod activated after first location changing

(Spamm: I sent this as a private message to you, but I wasn't sure if you're the type of person who notices when they get messages, so I posted here.)

rhomboidspace
10-08-2008, 03:30 PM
I came across these notes for a camera mod that I guess Spamm created (see below). I was just wondering do these notes mean that pathfinding and FPS is worse with this mod?

I tried the mod out and I really liked the longer camera range, but it seemed like my character may have gotten stuck a few times when trying to move around (I particularly noticed that at crossroads--when he was suppose to make a turn at a crossroads, it was like he tried to cut the corner, instead of staying on the road and then he would get stuck) and I'm wondering if that has to do with a pathfinding problem. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what the pathfinding was like before I applied the mod to compare it with now.

Also, just wondering but is there a way to remove the mod and test the pathfinding without it? When I removed the .kfs file from the mod folder, the improved range was no longer there, but it seemed like the issue with him getting stuck while moving still was. Thanks for any help provided.

Camera
Author - spamm

For version 1.6.4
http://kingsbounty.ru/mods/1.6.4/mod_164_camera.zip

Camera range increased from 18 to 32
+ bigger field of view
+ ease of large trips
- FPS
- path finding
atention: mod activated after first location changing

(Spamm: I sent this as a private message to you, but I wasn't sure if you're the type of person who notices when they get messages, so I posted here.)

It's because your system is processing more information at once, terrain is loaded as it's needed, so the farther away from the terrain your camera is, the more terrain it has to process at once

Snaggly Pete
10-08-2008, 03:58 PM
It's because your system is processing more information at once, terrain is loaded as it's needed, so the farther away from the terrain your camera is, the more terrain it has to process at once

That makes sense, but if I keep the camera zoomed in all the way, shouldn't the pathfinding improve? I've tried this, but it doesn't seem to improve.

Also, I'm still wondering how to remove this mod to test pathfinding without it? Does just removing the mod from the mod folder do it, or are their other changes I need to make?

bman654
10-08-2008, 06:02 PM
it doesn't really make pathfinding any worse. It just makes it more likely to be noticed. ie if you zoom all the way out and click a spot on the edge of the map, it is more likely you will get stuck somewhere b/c you gave a movement order for a very long distance. Solution is to click areas not too far away even if you zoom out.

Snaggly Pete
10-08-2008, 06:51 PM
it doesn't really make pathfinding any worse. It just makes it more likely to be noticed. ie if you zoom all the way out and click a spot on the edge of the map, it is more likely you will get stuck somewhere b/c you gave a movement order for a very long distance. Solution is to click areas not too far away even if you zoom out.

Thanks of the help. That sounds like a reasonable explanation, although I swear that even when I have the camera zoomed in all the way now, he gets stuck more often than he did before I used the mod...I may just be misremembering things though. I'm really tempted to reinstall the game and test the pathfinding again without the mod since I can't remember for certain what it was like.

bman654
10-09-2008, 12:59 AM
u dont have to reinstall. Just remove the camera mod file.

phoenixreborn
10-09-2008, 01:49 AM
For those having issues with pathfinding I've discovered this.

ZONE A

ZONE B

if A and B are of different terrain heights your character will get stuck. If they are on the same plane your character can usually find a way there.

If the shortest route is through a pack of trees and the camera isn't far enough out to see a longer route your character will get stuck.

That's about it.

Snaggly Pete
10-09-2008, 01:54 PM
For those having issues with pathfinding I've discovered this.

ZONE A

ZONE B

if A and B are of different terrain heights your character will get stuck. If they are on the same plane your character can usually find a way there.

If the shortest route is through a pack of trees and the camera isn't far enough out to see a longer route your character will get stuck.

That's about it.

Interesting, thanks for the observation. Actually, I was playing the game again last night using the camera mod and the pathfinding did not seem bad at all. Kudos to Spamm for the mod...the extended camera distance is great!