PDA

View Full Version : NPC LNG & CHAT File Reference

MattCaspermeyer
03-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Please find attached a ZIPped Microsoft Excel spreadsheet file that contains the LNG to NPC file reference that created to allow me to mod the game.

The LNG NPC files follow the following file naming convention:

<Your Language - i.e. English is ENG>_CHAT_XXXXXXXXXX_YYYYYYYYYY.LNG

The XXXXXXXXXX corresponds to the NPC and the YYYYYYYYYY corresponds to a different conversation with that same NPC. YYYYYYYYYY also corresponds with a CHAT file (YYYYYYYYYY.CHAT - note that leading zeroes can be omitted in the file name) - binary files located in SES.KFS.

The LNG file is the text that corresponds with the various dialog elements of your conversation with an NPC, while the CHAT file is a binary file that performs certain actions, either within the dialog or within the game.

If you have King's Bounty - Crossworlds, you can read the documentation for the text editor to learn more about this.

However, for The Legend, you'll need to decompile the CHAT files using KB_DB_EDIT (it has been posted many times in these forums so you'll have to search on it) in order to be able to do anything with them.

With this reference, KB_DB_EDIT, and some intrepidness on your part, you can mod certain areas of the game.

For example, I used this to add the possibility of Diana as your wife in my H3B mod as well as added a new Orc wife, Orcelyn. I also changed the prices of Crystals from Torn Digor's son and changed it so that Maria gives you 3 crystals per 1 Dragon Fly wing. These are just some examples of what can be done here.

Note that editing the CHAT files is not for the feint of heart because there is a lot of stuff in there that tends to be very confusing and doesn't make any sense because it is auto-generated from a higher level tool that we don't have; however, it may be possible to use the CW Editor to create dialog and then "transplant" it for use in TL. I'm not sure, but seems like it could be possible.

If there is enough interest, I could perhaps create a LNG - CHAT file tutorial, although it is somewhat made obsolete by the CW Editor.

Enjoy!

/C\/C\

Sirlancelot
03-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Another contribution to the community, uh? Thanks Matt! :)